Start by marking “Poems Three Series Complete” as Want to Read:
Poems Three Series Complete

Poems Three Series Complete (Poems by Emily Dickinson #1-3)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,164 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
This is a compilation of poems by Emily Dickinson. Emily Dickinson was virtually unknown during her lifetime, but now is considered one of American's greatest poets of the 19th century. Emily spent most of her life in Amherst where she attended school and lived in her family home. She spent many years as a recluse not venturing off of her father's land. Emily wrote not for ...more
Published October 8th 2009 by Book Jungle (first published June 6th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Poems Three Series Complete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems Three Series Complete

Bernie Gourley
Dec 10, 2013 Bernie Gourley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three series are collected into one volume. Each series is organized into four parts: Life, Love, Nature, and Time & Eternity. The connection between these themes and the verse contained therein is generally clear, and the latter category is largely concerned with death—a popular topic for Dickinson. While Dickinson is known for being morose, her poems often manage to be both playful and dark at the same time. The best example of this odd combo of grim / playfulness may be one of her most qu ...more
Ethar

Nor Action new —
Except through this extent —
The Realm of you —

BEQUEST
You left me, sweet, two legacies, --
A legacy of love
A Heavenly Father would content,
Had He the offer of;
You left me boundaries of pain
Capacious as the sea,
Between eternity and time,
Your consciousness and me

THE MYSTERY OF PAIN
Pain has an element of blank;
It cannot recollect
When it began, or if
Nikki
Honestly many of the poems in this compilation were not enjoyed by me, some in fact made very little sense to me. I do not know if the disconnect was the time period difference or it just not connecting with me as a reader. Some of the poems were very vague and had we known what she was referencing it would have made a great deal of difference. Also, it seems as though Emily was quite fond of bees and god references, I found this strange.

My favorites:
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall
Jul 18, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Jennifer Donnelly
Shelves: 2014challenge, poetry
Poetry must be read slowly and savoured properly. Although English is my L1, I still struggle to fully understand the connotations of each word, the hidden meaning between the lines. There are many poems in this book that I didn't understand, and I just skimmed past them.

I realise I tend to like the poems that I actually understand, or manage to feel something through the words. For instance, there is this verse which goes...
Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me
Death is per
Lamski Kikita
Mar 29, 2013 Lamski Kikita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death holds the biggest piece of of this poetic pie, and I love how to Emily, and to you and me, should we decide to believe her, it is a most trivial event when it happens to oneself, but a life-changing horror when it happens to a loved one. Here are my faves:

"Hope is a subtle glutton;
he feeds upon the fair;
and yet, inspected closely,
what abstinence is there!"

"I felt a clearing in my mind
as if my brain had split;
i tried to match it, seam by seam,
but could not make them fit.
The thought behind I
Shannon Yarbrough
While it is an excellent and thorough collection of Emily's poetry, I highly suggest you read it in small doses. Those who prefer some of her shorter verse or some of the more morbid stuff about death, should skip right to Book 3. Or if you prefer to skip around, use the superb Index which is organized by the first line of each poem.

You should also understand the importance of this text for it is really where everything we know about Emily and her poetry stemmed from.

Prior to her death, less tha
T. Browning
Jul 12, 2013 T. Browning rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I really start feeling that all poetry is the same, some random abstractness that depends on mood and shifting styles for popularity, rather than substance and quality. And then I read Emily Dickinson and realize that, no matter the mystery that surrounds her, the darkness of her life, the style of the times or how she captured the "national mood" Emily Dickinson just wrote amazing poetry. I don't know a lot about rhyme schemes or poetical forms, all I know is that, often with as few w ...more
Ryan
Jun 28, 2016 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily Dickinson contemplates everything.

Well composed poems that describe life and existence in very condensed prose. There is so much to digest with each poem. I enjoyed this collection of poems and if you like poetry that makes you contemplate everything, I recommend Emily Dickinson. My one complaint with her poetry is how fixated she is about bees, but that's minor.
Matt Miles
Apr 03, 2016 Matt Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What tips Dickinson's poems into the category of some of my favorites is that the language and rhythm she uses gives life to any subject-- nature, love, and even death. There's a strange insight to these poems, but what will bring me back to them is how full the tiny worlds of her poems are, how gloriously alive. Friends, some classics are classics for a reason. Check this one out.
Zari
Sep 06, 2015 Zari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poem, women
"Nature" is what we see—
The Hill—the Afternoon—
To her Simplicity.
Nick Jessen
Feb 22, 2015 Nick Jessen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

I will return, often. I had learned about Emily Dickinson in high school, but I was never told enough to appreciate her until now. Truly wonderful.
Bruna
Feb 18, 2015 Bruna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, ebook, read-2015
I don't feel equipped to judge and/or review poetry, so I'll just try to register my overall thoughts.

This wasn't exactly "fun", but a valid reading experience and a nice step out of my YA/regular novels comfort zone. Dickinson explores themes like Death and Faith in subtle and symbolic ways, and while I could not fully comprehend all of the poems in this compendium, the ones I did were intriguing and sparked recognition within my own feelings. This is something I might want to revisit in the f
Emadeddin
Dec 31, 2013 Emadeddin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
description
Wow, that was a good pleasure!
These lovely poems should be read on sunset, on a romantic beach, along with a tasty cup of good coffee! -- with slow music for sure:) that would be perfect!

Emily Dickinson was a romantic soul. Her poems say that. They were easy, and totally charming.
I highly recommend them. If you like to take a break from your heavy noisy grey life, then you should read them - they are the cure! They will put you in a world full of colors.
Cara
3.5

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

I was surprised by how beautiful and fresh Dickinson's poetry felt to me. From the simplistic, yet abstract way she describes everyday phenomenons, materials and images...I ended up enjoying the majority of poems in the collection.
Jessica
Jun 18, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice collection of many Dickinson poems, a number of which were new to me!
Cesssi
Feb 13, 2016 Cesssi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: klassiker
Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

-Emily Dickinson-
Kelly Barry
Aug 07, 2012 Kelly Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some were good, some were weirs, some I did not get, but I ended up liking Emily Dickinson poetry as a whole
Nancy
There. Are poems about nature that are very nice. The last poems are a out daeth and funerals.
Emma Stockdale
Apr 26, 2012 Emma Stockdale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She's brilliant in the purest sense; if you love words, you'll fall for her poetry.

Karen
Feb 02, 2010 Karen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the edition I am reading. I have the one edited by thomas Johnson
Alexandra
Could not finish - just not into poetry.
Sonya Teter
Sonya Teter is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2016
Kristen
Kristen is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2016
S B
S B rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
A.
A. marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
EMILY CABRERA
EMILY CABRERA rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Sarah added it
Aug 25, 2016
Janelle
Janelle rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Josselyn Garcia
Josselyn Garcia marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Taylor Fischer
Taylor Fischer rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
  • Keats: poems published in 1820
  • The Early Poems of Alfred Lord Tennyson
  • The Canterbury Tales and Other Poems [Illustrated]
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 4
  • Poems of William Blake
  • Selected Poems
  • Six Centuries of English Poetry from Tennyson to Chaucer: Typical Selections from the Great Poets (1892)
  • The Complete Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • A Few Figs from Thistles
  • Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell
  • Horses Make a Landscape Look More Beautiful: Poems
  • Phantasmagoria and Other Poems
  • Sketches of Young Couples (Dodo Press)
  • The Evolution of a State or Recollections of Old Texas Days
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...

Poems by Emily Dickinson (4 books)
  • Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series One
  • Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series Two
  • Poems by Emily Dickinson, Third Series

“I'm nobody! Who are you? Are you nobody, too? Then there 's a pair of us — don't tell! They 'd banish us, you know.” 5 likes
“Who never lost, are unprepared” 4 likes