Start by marking “Poems Three Series Complete” as Want to Read:
Poems Three Series Complete

Poems Three Series Complete (Poems by Emily Dickinson #1-3)

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This is a compilation of poems by Emily Dickinson. Emily Dickinson was virtually unknown during her lifetime, but now is considered one of American's greatest poets of the 19th century. Emily spent most of her life in Amherst where she attended school and lived in her family home. She spent many years as a recluse not venturing off of her father's land. Emily wrote not for ...more
Published October 8th 2009 by Book Jungle (first published June 6th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Poems Three Series Complete, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems Three Series Complete

Bernie Gourley
Three series are collected into one volume. Each series is organized into four parts: Life, Love, Nature, and Time & Eternity. The connection between these themes and the verse contained therein is generally clear, and the latter category is largely concerned with death—a popular topic for Dickinson. While Dickinson is known for being morose, her poems often manage to be both playful and dark at the same time. The best example of this odd combo of grim / playfulness may be one of her most qu ...more
Ethar

Nor Action new —
Except through this extent —
The Realm of you —

BEQUEST
You left me, sweet, two legacies, --
A legacy of love
A Heavenly Father would content,
Had He the offer of;
You left me boundaries of pain
Capacious as the sea,
Between eternity and time,
Your consciousness and me

THE MYSTERY OF PAIN
Pain has an element of blank;
It cannot recollect
When it began, or if
Jul 18, 2014 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Jennifer Donnelly
Shelves: poetry, 2014challenge
Poetry must be read slowly and savoured properly. Although English is my L1, I still struggle to fully understand the connotations of each word, the hidden meaning between the lines. There are many poems in this book that I didn't understand, and I just skimmed past them.

I realise I tend to like the poems that I actually understand, or manage to feel something through the words. For instance, there is this verse which goes...
Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me
Death is per
Lamski Kikita
Death holds the biggest piece of of this poetic pie, and I love how to Emily, and to you and me, should we decide to believe her, it is a most trivial event when it happens to oneself, but a life-changing horror when it happens to a loved one. Here are my faves:

"Hope is a subtle glutton;
he feeds upon the fair;
and yet, inspected closely,
what abstinence is there!"

"I felt a clearing in my mind
as if my brain had split;
i tried to match it, seam by seam,
but could not make them fit.
The thought behind I
Shannon Yarbrough
While it is an excellent and thorough collection of Emily's poetry, I highly suggest you read it in small doses. Those who prefer some of her shorter verse or some of the more morbid stuff about death, should skip right to Book 3. Or if you prefer to skip around, use the superb Index which is organized by the first line of each poem.

You should also understand the importance of this text for it is really where everything we know about Emily and her poetry stemmed from.

Prior to her death, less tha
Timothy Browning
Sometimes I really start feeling that all poetry is the same, some random abstractness that depends on mood and shifting styles for popularity, rather than substance and quality. And then I read Emily Dickinson and realize that, no matter the mystery that surrounds her, the darkness of her life, the style of the times or how she captured the "national mood" Emily Dickinson just wrote amazing poetry. I don't know a lot about rhyme schemes or poetical forms, all I know is that, often with as few w ...more
Nick Jessen
Beautiful

I will return, often. I had learned about Emily Dickinson in high school, but I was never told enough to appreciate her until now. Truly wonderful.
Bruna Acioly
I don't feel equipped to judge and/or review poetry, so I'll just try to register my overall thoughts.

This wasn't exactly "fun", but a valid reading experience and a nice step out of my YA/regular novels comfort zone. Dickinson explores themes like Death and Faith in subtle and symbolic ways, and while I could not fully comprehend all of the poems in this compendium, the ones I did were intriguing and sparked recognition within my own feelings. This is something I might want to revisit in the f
Emadeddin
description
Wow, that was a good pleasure!
These lovely poems should be read on sunset, on a romantic beach, along with a tasty cup of good coffee! -- with slow music for sure:) that would be perfect!

Emily Dickinson was a romantic soul. Her poems say that. They were easy, and totally charming.
I highly recommend them. If you like to take a break from your heavy noisy grey life, then you should read them - they are the cure! They will put you in a world full of colors.
Cara
3.5

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

I was surprised by how beautiful and fresh Dickinson's poetry felt to me. From the simplistic, yet abstract way she describes everyday phenomenons, materials and images...I ended up enjoying the majority of poems in the collection.
Cesssi
Success is counted sweetest
By those who ne'er succeed.
To comprehend a nectar
Requires sorest need.

-Emily Dickinson-
Kelly Barry
Some were good, some were weirs, some I did not get, but I ended up liking Emily Dickinson poetry as a whole
Nancy
There. Are poems about nature that are very nice. The last poems are a out daeth and funerals.
Emma Stockdale
She's brilliant in the purest sense; if you love words, you'll fall for her poetry.

Karen
Feb 02, 2010 Karen is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the edition I am reading. I have the one edited by thomas Johnson
Alexandra
Could not finish - just not into poetry.
Joseph Gashao
Joseph Gashao marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Peter
Peter added it
Mar 03, 2015
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Michelle Hoyt
Michelle Hoyt is currently reading it
Mar 01, 2015
Su
Su marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
  • Selected Poems
  • The Complete Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Poems by Walt Whitman
  • Poems by T. S. Eliot
  • Six Centuries of English Poetry from Tennyson to Chaucer: Typical Selections from the Great Poets (1892)
  • A Few Figs from Thistles
  • American Fairy Tales
  • Phantasmagoria and Other Poems
  • Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell
  • Horses Make a Landscape Look More Beautiful: Poems
  • The Notebooks of Leonardo da Vinci, Complete
  • Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm
  • Zoektocht in Katoren
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst Aca
More about Emily Dickinson...

Poems by Emily Dickinson (4 books)
  • Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series One
  • Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series Two
  • Poems by Emily Dickinson, Third Series
The Complete Poems Selected Poems The Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson Poems (Shambhala Pocket Classics) Final Harvest: Poems

“Who never lost, are unprepared” 2 likes
“To fight aloud is very brave, But gallanter, I know, Who charge within the bosom, The cavalry of woe.” 2 likes