Lays of Ancient Rome

Lays of Ancient Rome

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Now in the public domain, the "Lays of Ancient Rome" by Thomas Babington Macaulay were originally published in 1842. Immensely popular in England during Victorian times, these ballads are still a popular subject for recitation. As a student, Winston Churchill memorized them to prove his mental capabilities. This edition, newly typeset, includes all four of Macaulay's lays,...more
Published November 2nd 2009 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published 1842)

Manny
Celebrity Death Match Special: Horatio at the Bridge versus Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery

[Late 6th century B.C. A plain before Rome. Enter LARS PORSENA, MAMILIUS, SEXTUS, their various VASSALS and RETAINERS, the ENTIRE TUSCAN ARMY and DR and SCOTT EVIL]

DR EVIL: [rubbing hands gleefully] We're almost there. We just cross the bridge, eliminate the token guard force, enter the now undefended city and sack and plunder it to our heart's content. Oh, this is so evil! Why have we stopped?...more
Mark Lacy
Gave up on it after about 25% of way through. Accompanying text too hard to follow, too "scholarly", and the lays themselves not that interesting. Just thought I'd try it, after seeing the book in the movie, "Oblivion", starring Tom Cruise.
Evan
Informs as it fascinates, Macaulay's Lays is altogether my favorite work of poetry. The words are evocative like no other poet I've read - Macauley manages to spin together action, suspense, gore, horror, and melodrama. Horatius at the Bridge is the highlight of the whole book, although the others are enjoyable too (Capys the least of the bunch): Regillus takes Horatius's Iliadic tone and expands it into a larger epic, Virginia brings to mind a short stage melodrama, and Capys is mostly a histor...more
J. Gowin
As a collection of poetry its greatness is best shown by its wonderfull quotability.
Ez Poschman
Horatius at the Bridge is one of the greatest story-poems ever! Though it never alludes to it directly, it's dealing with the aftermath of Lucrece's post-rape suicide and the subsequent establishment of the Roman republic, 500 years before the empire. The events are treated as fact by early Roman historians, though there are variations in the tale. Unlike other stories of the era, nothing impossible happens, no gods or goddesses show up. This may have actually happened!
Jennifer Freitag
Not a lot is written or read about the very far-off, ancient days of Rome, before Rome became Mistress of the World, the immense politic figure that we remember today. These poems, of heroes and their battles, are just the sort of inspiring thing which captures my imagination. The unabashed vividness, the potency, even the basic beauty of the metre which begs to be read aloud, all mark this collection as a keeper.
Martin
This is a 100-year-old textbook filled with Macaulay's heroic poetry. I enjoyed it very much. It was originally of interest as Winston Churchill memorized the first very long poem in the book. I wish that when I was being force fed poetry in my junior high and high school English classes this had been on the reading list.
Steven Walle
This is a group of 4 poems about certain battles of war. These poems were required reading and required memorization for Italian and English children. Very awesome imagery is depicted throughout this volume. Enjoy!
Kevin
An endless list of people I never heard of and never want to hear of, written in a meter that makes you feel seasick. Who could ever have had the taste for this sort of thing?
Katie Lowe
OMG THIS IS SUCH A GOOD BOOK OF WISDOM IT'S JUST THESE FOUR POEMS ABOUT THE MAJESTICNESS AND MAJESTY OF ROME AND THE EPIC BATTLES AND HONORABLE PEOPLE #DYING OF ROMAN FEELS
Howard
A very interesting read on some of the earlier days of Rome.
Pam Sarver
Vintage 1842 copy
Al
Al is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Josh Craddock
Josh Craddock marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Todd Bahensky
Todd Bahensky marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Glenn Peach
Glenn Peach marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Nick Degani
Nick Degani marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Magistra
Magistra marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Doru Florin Dumitras
Doru Florin Dumitras marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
André
André marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Thomas Babington Macaulay, 1st Baron Macaulay PC (25 October 1800 – 28 December 1859) was a British poet, historian and Whig politician. He wrote extensively as an essayist and reviewer, and on British history. He also held political office as Secretary at War between 1839 and 1841 and Paymaster-General between 1846 and 1848.

As a young man he composed the ballads Ivry and The Armada, which he late...more
More about Thomas Babington Macaulay...
The History of England The History of England From the Accession of James II - Volume One The History of England from the Accession of James II, Vol. II (in Five Volumes) Critical and Historical Essays, Vol 1 of 2 Macaulay's Life of Samuel Johnson

“Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods”
70 likes
“And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds
For the ashes of his fathers
And the temples of his Gods?”
7 likes