Start by marking “Mercy Thompson: Moon Called” as Want to Read:
Mercy Thompson: Moon Called

Mercy Thompson: Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson Graphic Novels #1)

4.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,640 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like o ...more
Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 104 pages
Published August 15th 2010 by IDW Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mercy Thompson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy Thompson

Maximum Ride, Vol. 1 by James PattersonMaximum Ride, Vol. 2 by James PattersonMaximum Ride, Vol. 3 by James PattersonMaximum Ride, Vol. 4 by James PattersonVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Urban Fantasy Graphic Novels
13th out of 75 books — 138 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanRat Queens, Vol. 1 by Kurtis J. WiebeMs. Marvel, Vol. 1 by G. Willow WilsonBatwoman by Greg RuckaFray by Joss Whedon
Kickass women in superhero comics
196th out of 327 books — 316 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
Very few novels make good graphic novels. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again.
But not this time.

David Lawrence did an excellent job adapting Moon Called to this format. It's been years since I've read the book, so I can't really remember each and every part of the actual story, but it seemed to me that most of the major plot points were there. It made sense, and it flowed well. I'm sure that wasn't easy.

As far as the art goes...
Well, I didn't love it or hate it. It had an anime f
Stacia (the 2010 club)
2.5 stars. I don't know how I feel about the graphic version of these books. The characters just didn't match up to how I pictured them. This is often the case with graphics, but the artwork didn't speak to me this time in order to balance some of that out. Even though it was all very-well drawn, the style wasn't really my preference.

The story-to-comic revision wasn't badly done though. Will I read on? Probably not. I'll just stick to the regular book versions.

Here's an example :

Bry
Mar 13, 2011 Bry rated it it was amazing
This was a great graphic novel and definitely worth the wait. I really enjoyed the overall look of the characters and settings. The characters were a bit different from what I had originally imagined but still looked as they should. The colors were dark, leaned toward jewel tones, and were very rich.

The adaptation from the original novel was done very well in that while it had to leave out certain moments or facts revealed enough for the story to be understandable, the characters to have depth,
JuliaOrlando
Mar 10, 2016 JuliaOrlando rated it did not like it
I read this graphic novel for a book club challenge. I read the 1st book in the series and thought that I would enjoy the graphic interpretation, but I didn't like it at all. I thought the storyline was very choppy and the art was a distraction to me.
Harrison Scalf
Jan 15, 2016 Harrison Scalf rated it it was amazing
The visuals made the story even more fun to read.
Mel
I bought a massive bundle of electronic comics online as it had some Red Sonia and Leah Moore comics I wanted to read for ridiculously cheap prices. The comics all had women creators which I found particularly appealing. This one was a small graphic novel that was included in the bundle. It was a comic based on a YA novel. It wasn't that bad. There was an interesting woman protagonist who was a Coyote shapeshifter, and worked as a car mechanic in the Tri-cities of WA state. She was friendly with ...more
Elena
2.5 stars. I picked up this graphic novel after being massively disappointed by the prequel, Mercy Thompson: Homecoming, because I figured that a lot of my criticism of the prequel (namely, that it was totally disjointed and had no narrative arc whatsoever) would probably be remedied when we got into ground that had already been covered admirably in the novels.

I was sort of right. This book, unlike Homecoming, does, indeed have a plot that makes sense. Unlike Homecoming, it does a halfway decent
Chani
Jan 06, 2016 Chani rated it it was amazing
Great adaptation of the novel and I really liked the style of Amelia Woo :)
Carmen Chacon
I really enjoyed it. Though I didn't like some of the graphics. They stuck to the storyline which was great it also refreshed my memory on what happen in the first book.
Dharia Scarab
May 25, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it really liked it

4 sta
M.V. Freeman
Dec 11, 2015 M.V. Freeman rated it it was amazing
This is a continuation of the Mercy Thompson's life---

Things just got more complicated when a Sorcerer Vampire comes into town--bodies start piling up and Mercy is pulled in to find the monster - because of her unique abilities.

In this story you get a glimpse of the Vampire culture a bit more--and she has to make a tough decision. What I like about this character is her strength and the knowledge of when she doesn't have it in her.

Patricia Briggs did an outstanding job-and has inspired me. :)

Ag
Lorna Francis
Apr 16, 2016 Lorna Francis rated it it was amazing
Having read this amazing fantasy novel by Patricia Briggs I am absolutely hooked on The Mercedes Thompson series which is riveting and exciting. This well written and meticulously planned novel had me invested in the characters from the very start. I was surprised, horrified and delighted throughout as the shapeshifter, mechanic and aptly named Marcy Thompson endeavours throughout to help her fellow man. I am looking forward to reading much more of this gritty and harrowing world of werewolves ...more
Jean Marie
Jun 12, 2015 Jean Marie rated it really liked it
Recently reread. A page-turner for me, I like Mercy's take-no-crap attitude.

A loner wolf comes to town and is taken in by Mercy, and this young loner brings trouble with him. Soon Adam's house is attacked, his daughter kidnapped, and Adam is badly hurt so Mercy has to bring him up to Montana to the Marrok. After returning, Mercy has to enlist the aid of Stefan and the vampires. Then, when the wolves act on a tip from the vampires, Adam disappears as well. Not to worry, Mercy to the rescue.
Ea Solinas
May 07, 2015 Ea Solinas rated it really liked it
Mercy Thompson is one of the cooler heroines of urban fantasy -- instead of a glamorous-sounding "tough girl" job, she's a simple car mechanic. Who works for a faery. And turns into a coyote.

Okay, maybe she's not a "simple" car mechanic, but she is a pleasantly down-to-earth protagonist. And "Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Moon Called Volume 1 TP (Mercy Thompson 1)" is a solid adaptation of the first half of the first Mercy Thompson book -- lots of lycanthropic action, solid art, and some perp
VampireNovelFan
This, my friends, is how you do a graphic novel adaptation

I originally read this comic as an ARC and then decided to purchase it immediately before I even finished it. Since I was reading the series via ebooks, I wanted something for Ms. Briggs to sign for when I meet her at San Diego Comic Con this July. I was going to try to get through the ebooks as fast as I could so that I could then also purchase a paper copy of my favorite installment. After seeing this comic, there's no longer a need.
Stephanie
Jun 22, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it

Moon Called Graphic Novel Makes Me Wonder About Why A Graphic Novel for the Books

Rating: Teen +
Cover: Amelia Woo
Writer: Patricia Briggs, David Lawrence
Penciller/Inker/Colorist: Amelia Woo (digitally painted)
Genre: URBAN FANTASY
Publication Date: March 2011
Format: Comic Book Collection
PAGE COUNT: 104+
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment (March 8, 2011)
Language: English
Dynamite Entertainment http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/...
Received through Net Galley

I usually don’t review g
xtina
Jul 30, 2010 xtina rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by a fellow Vampire Academy groupie (several of them, actually), so I knew I had to give it a shot. I am so glad I did! What a rare treat to begin a new gripping series when 5 books are already out. I hope I can pace myself so I don't finish all of them in a matter of days and then have that unbearable wait until January for the 6th one.

Anyways. Mercy Thompson is a Walker, a deliciously eerie name for people who can shift into coyote form at will. That's right, co
CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right
It's pretty much Mercy for Dummies.

Do you know how much it hurts to give Mercy a rating this low? Almost as bad as Adam felt through the first part of this story.

The art was not that great (her tats kept appearing and disappearing) and Adam and Jesse are not at all what I imagined, same for Bran and Sam actually, but Mercy was pretty decent, I'll give you that but the art had no soul, therefore the characters lacked. Besides anger, there were no emotions being conveyed properly at all.

The unde
TheGeekyBlogger
Oct 18, 2014 TheGeekyBlogger rated it really liked it
Read for Fun (Library Book)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.00
Graphic Rating: 4.00

Read It File It (Short Review): Mercy Thompson Moon Called Volume 1 by Patricia Briggs was my first ever graphic novel. I am glad I started with a story I knew so that I could spend some time learning how to read the frames (sounds silly but that took a bit). I really enjoyed the graphics and thought they added a little oomph to a story I already love.
Patricia Solla
Apr 28, 2015 Patricia Solla rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was well written and quite interesting. I liked the author's take on the paranormal creatures she writes about. There's plenty of action without being overly gory and her characters have plenty of personality.
Hector Ibarraran
Jan 26, 2015 Hector Ibarraran rated it liked it
It was a fun read, but not a great one. I don't regret having gotten this novel as a part of the Humble Bundle, and it was nice to remember how it all started. I think this could be a good way to introduce young readers to Patricia Brigg's work.
Jenna
Jul 02, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
I read the Mercy Thompson series over the course of a few weeks. It is an easy read, 16 chapters per book usually. It can't compare to the Dresden Files, but I had a lot of fun reading the series.
Denise Butler
Apr 14, 2015 Denise Butler rated it really liked it
took me a while to get into this book. It felt like there was no structure. But once I caught on, i was hooked. great series. I love the main character Mercy, feisty and head strong. really loved her
Dina
Mar 18, 2014 Dina rated it really liked it
I was expecting an art style similar to the cover, & it actually turned out quite different (so a bit misleading if you will). Other than that the images are amazing & works well with the storyline. I would read Vol. 2 if NOOK had it out. I havent read the original book yet, but I do like this version.
Racquel
May 27, 2011 Racquel rated it liked it
It's interesting to see how many popular series are being turned into graphic novels lately. Adds a whole different dimension to the story when overlapped with the artist's work. Short of making a movie of it, it really brings the characters to life even more. The bonus story on Mac's past is also interesting while being a little disappointing too. There isn't much besides what we've already gleaned from Mercy's telling in it and the art is obviously poorly done. They just didn't care about it a ...more
Maureen Hoar
Feb 29, 2012 Maureen Hoar rated it it was amazing
I am a huge Mercy Thompson fan!!! She is a bad ass chick with a mind of her own! I love characters like this. I can't wait to read the other books in this series. Adam is pretty hot too, but he has met his match in Mercy. Mercy is a shifter who turns into a coyote in a world of werewolves, vampires and fae. She runs her own garage and lives with her cat Maddea. A young run-away boy asks to work in her garage and she takes him under his wing until one day he shows up dead on her door-step. She is ...more
Jessica Gutoski
Jul 11, 2015 Jessica Gutoski rated it it was amazing
I really loved this whole series! I like that it's not a teenager but a 30 something year old and i'm totally into the fantasy stuff so this was right up my alley!
ARomanceLover
Mar 11, 2014 ARomanceLover rated it liked it
Adam was too off from what I imagined him to be and this bugged me and distracted me throughout, grr. I guess it is too hard to win when adapting a graphic novel.
Tracy Ramone
Feb 04, 2015 Tracy Ramone rated it really liked it
I didn't know if I would like the comic as much as I like the books but I did. And now I must read them all.
Katie
Oct 07, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
The graphic were very good and it went along with the book perfectly. I enjoyed reading it very much.
  • Richelle Mead's The Dark Swan: Storm Born
  • Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned, Volume 1: The Charmer
  • Blood Work (The Hollows Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Becoming (Otherworld Stories, #0.09)
  • The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • Strange Brew
  • Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
  • Down These Strange Streets

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs...

Mercedes Thompson Graphic Novels (3 books)
  • Mercy Thompson:  Homecoming