How to Write & Give a Speech: A Practical Guide for Executives, PR People, Managers, Fund-Raisers, Politicians, Educators, & Anyone Who Has To Make Every Word Count

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  4 reviews
How to Write and Give a Speech gives sound advice on every aspect of researching, writing, and delivering an effective speech, including:

-The 3-step, never-fail formula for a successful speech
-The 4 best ways to increase your chances of getting a laugh
-The 5 most important things to leave out of your speech
-The 6 best places to research your speech
-The 7 cliches that never...more
Published August 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1984)

Kate LaChapelle
It's really helpful and informational, however it feels like an overview of the subject, which is fine for those who are interested in the basics, but I was looking for something with more depth, hence the loss of star.

However, it does contain a lot of important information and I have highlighted, marked-up, dog-eared, and tabbed a bunch of sections for future reference.

This would be good for anyone who would like a better understanding of speechwriting and important things to consider while giv...more
MJ
No one knows more about how to write and give a speech" than Joan Detz. As a professional corporate communicator I can confidently say this; I've used this book both to prepare my own presentations and to help others with theirs. Joan Detz is an excellent teacher (I've learned so much from her workshops), and she has the rare ability to carry over her teaching into her books.
Jacob Cruzan
This is an awesome book! It has practical advice for all speaking situations. I especially liked the appendix that listed great books and websites that will be helpful in preparing future speeches. I would reccomend this book.
Val Jones
I read this book for my Public Speaking class. It offers a comprehensive guide to writing and delivering a speech.
Christian C.
Christian C. is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Matthew J.
Matthew J. marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Ivy
Ivy is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Olayinka Olabisi
Olayinka Olabisi marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Kanabindajonas
Kanabindajonas marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Athena Chamberlain
Athena Chamberlain marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Luke Morrison
Luke Morrison marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Don Toth
Don Toth marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Sherrol Reid
Sherrol Reid marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
Vk.rawat26gmail.com
Vk.rawat26gmail.com is currently reading it
Dec 01, 2013
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
It's Not What You Say, It's How You Say It: Ready-to-Use Advice for Presentations, Speeches, and Other Speaking Occasions, Large and Small Can You Say a Few Words: How to Prepare and Deliver a Speech for Any Special Occasion How to Write and Give a Speech, Second Revised Edition: A Practical Guide For Executives, PR People, the Military, Fund-Raisers, Politicians, Educators, and You Mean I Have to Stand Up and Say Something?