Start by marking “How Nancy Drew Saved My Life” as Want to Read:
How Nancy Drew Saved My Life

How Nancy Drew Saved My Life

3.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  838 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Broken, smashed and stomped in the mud

That's how Charlotte Bell's heart ended up the last time she let her emotions heat up on a nanny assignment. So taking a new position in frigid Iceland, working for Ambassador Edgar Rawlings, might be just what Charlotte needs in order to heal up--and chill out. This time, she's determined to be intrepid and courageous. She's even read
Published October 1st 2007 by Red Dress Ink (first published August 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about How Nancy Drew Saved My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Nancy Drew Saved My Life

Cheryl
Mar 27, 2012 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so horrible that my friends and I started a Terrible Book Club where we passed around a copy in which we wrote snarky comments in the margins.
Stacy
Jul 26, 2011 Stacy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book really had nothing going for it. The main character was not lovable, deep or interesting. At 23 she develops this weird obsession with Nancy Drew (for no good reason) then goes to Iceland where it seems that all Icelanders carry a copy of some Nancy Drew book around with them--although it is never quite explained why this is the case as you read the book. I would also venture to guess that this little "tidbit" is totally untrue. The main character is naive and doesn't seem to get what ...more
Erika
Apr 28, 2009 Erika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a girl who gets involved with the father of the children she nannies, it goes south and she decides she needs to make a new life for herself. She gets another job as a nanny/governess and goes to Iceland. She continually talks about Nancy Drew and what would Nancy Drew do in her position.
This is where I started to hate the book, but I kept reading thinking maybe it'll get better. I was very frustrated with the end and that the relationships didin't build very well, it went fr
Shelley
Sep 30, 2015 Shelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to read this chick-lit book because I picked up my book club book and read it, and didn't bother to pick this up again until I finished that book.

How Nancy Drew Saved My Life was pretty bad. I feel it's more of a 1-1/2 rating rather than a generous 2 that I've given it, not quite "I didn't like it" or an "It was okay" rating.

I grew up loving Nancy Drew books. I loved the TV show too. So I was pretty excited that I came across this in a second hand bookstore. The name of t
Allison P
May 14, 2015 Allison P rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-plain-fun
It's been ages since I read this book, and I only remember that I liked it over all, though the ending left me flat. I don't remember details. It is silly and unbelievable. I usually read serious heavy books, or established well-thought-of, highly recommended classics with a good reputation. But, I allowed myself to stray when I saw this whimsical title. I was searching for Nancy Drew books for my daughter about ten years ago on our library's website, and this came up in the search as well. I co ...more
Cassie
As usual, I was browsing titles in my local library and came across this book. As a huge Nancy Drew fan, I had to add it to my stack.

The premise was cute, the writing was fine: typical chick-lit prose. There were a few spots with language that really bothered me. I try not to swear personally (but I used to have a BAD habit of doing so and there are times when they come back. Such a hard habit to break!) and I can usually skip over them without them really bothering me. It just didn't seem to f
Brittany
Jan 10, 2013 Brittany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gosh, this was bad. It took me forever to just get a hundred pages in and when it takes that long, its time to chuck the book across the room and start again with a new book. A better book. The writing was blah, the character was blah, the character of Edgar was totally unbelievable and don't get me started on the whole WWNDD? or the fact that all Icelanders are devout Nancy Drew fans. Proves that anyone with a semi-understanding of the English language can write a book.
Sherri Hunter
Jul 19, 2012 Sherri Hunter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
One of the many joys of reading is the travel destinations. For the first time ever, I got to travel to Iceland with Charlotte Bell when she accepts a nanny position with the U.S. Ambassador. Initially, this story is very vague where Charlotte is concerned. Though Charlotte was a child celebrity, she had a less than happy childhood, growing up in her Aunt’s home. She never feeling accepted and is someone who is looking for love and acceptance, usually in the wrong place. Unfortunately, she wears ...more
Jackie
Jul 20, 2009 Jackie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jan 09, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Haven't adored nancy frew books as a child, I picked up this book @ amazon reduced with gift cards. Thinking this book would be true to nancy drew however i was very disappointed. I usually like books by red dress not true with this one.

It's about a girl who's a former child star, she becomes a nanny & falls in love with her male employer. Who of course is married and lives with her aunt now that her dad moved away.

She leaves the job when the man wanted get rid of her child, only later she
Stacey
Jan 03, 2011 Stacey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, I’m going to be honest. I loved Nancy Drew as a girl, and that is why I picked this book up at some random library book sale. Plus I haven’t yet met a Red Dress Book I didn’t love. This might have been the exception. It had a cute little plot and story but basically the main character Charlotte just drove me nuts. She is the type of girl I absolutely cannot stand. It starts out that Charlotte is a Nanny for this well to do couple in NYC. So of course she has to start sleeping with the husban ...more
Kristal
May 10, 2016 Kristal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lame, lame, lame! I'm not sure how it's possible but this author managed to get a book published where there is no real central mystery and no intrigue in the "love triangle." I'm generally pretty forgiving with chick lit since many of them are not that well written but this was easily one of the worst books I've read in the last year. I finished it, but I'm not sure why.
Elvia
Jan 09, 2012 Elvia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a few reviews of this book when I started it and I saw a lot of "okays." I didn't think that it was that bad. It was based upon Jane Eyre. In fact, the book kinds of makes fun that it's like Jane Eyre which is what is so funny. The movement in the story happened and the ending was kind of anti-romantic. I still liked it and the message that it sent.

Charlotte (hat off to Ms. Bronte) having had her heart crushed by her employer, embarks on an adventure to Iceland as a nanny, her previous o
Cindi Moss
Dec 12, 2015 Cindi Moss rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Title attracted my attention, location was interesting, but this is not my type of book. I don't ususally do romance anyway, and the whole story line about the main character sleeping with her employer turned me off from the start. The silliness of everyone in Iceland reading Nancy Drew is too much. Just not my thing.
Lady Knight
While there was the odd section of 20 pages or so that captivated me, overall this was a pretty terrible book. Blatant rip off of Jane Eyre (and it doesn't help that the author even references it when Charlotte claims to have a "Jane Eyre moment") and very little to do with Nancy Drew (other than the odd reference thrown in to live up to the novel's title). The book sounded cute and held such promise, but ultimately was a waste of time.

I have really loved Lauren Baratz-Logsted's YA and children
GamerGal
I was drawn to this book because of the attention getting title. Unfortunately, the title was the most clever aspect of the book. It wasn't totally predictable - it did have a couple of surprises. But I really did expect something more.
Cary
Mar 30, 2015 Cary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought that I might like this author but it just didn't do it for me. I am not a big fan of infidelity and this book has it in spades. I had always like Nancy Drew when I was younger so... That nostalgia was kept me going.
Oct 18, 2007 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad, chick-lit
This is truly one of the worst books I've ever read. I bought it in an airport bookstore or somewhere, thinking that it would be light travel reading. Several pages in, I got so frustrated with the book that I started making notes in it, underlining and commenting on all of the things that were pointless or stupid or made no sense. When I got home, I passed it off to a friend with the warning that it was terrible. She made her own notes and passed it to another friend. Now it's got at least four ...more
Fern
Nov 28, 2014 Fern rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! A lot of the reviews were negative, so I wasn't expecting to. I gave it 4 stars, only because the story was a little hard to follow at first. Overall, I thought it was very good.
Kathleen
This was a really easy read. I loved Nancy Drew when I was in elementary school so I was excited to read this. She makes it sound like the entire country of Denmark is completely obsessed with Nancy Drew, which I find unlikely. I liked how she kept tying "what would nancy do?" back into the story, but for large sections she completely drops anything Nancy related, which seemed a little odd. I was expecting the end though and was happy to be surprised by the secret she revealed. Is it the greates ...more
Yvonne
Jan 24, 2015 Yvonne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story about a nanny who channels Nancy Drew as she heads off to Iceland.
Tara Gruwell
Jan 28, 2016 Tara Gruwell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The best part about the book was the title.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jul 30, 2009 Stephanie "Jedigal" rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie "Jedigal" by: bookclub
That I have the ability to totally disengage from what I am reading. I was "eh" about it while reading - didn't care about it in the positive, didn't care about it in the negative. It was while discussing in book club that I determined this was really a pretty crappy book, and wondered why I hadn't noticed at the time.

Anyway, I would NOT recommend. And I realize this doesn't have any thoughtful reasons to explain my problems, and I hate to say - this book doesn't deserve the time it would take
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute story. my copy was missing thirty pages in the middle so i feel rather cheated. i enjoyed the thin pink line more than this book but it was a great fluffy book.
Christie
Feb 05, 2008 Christie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have nothing else to read
I was definitely not impressed by this book. I may have liked it if not for the ridiculous ending that pretty much ruined any positive feelings I had.

I felt like the author didn't come up with any unique ideas on her own. From the title, I assumed there would be lots of references to the Nancy Drew series (which there were) but there were also tons of Jane Eyre references and they all felt overstated and trite.

The one good thing that came form reading this book--it made me want to re-read Jane
Eli2abeth
Aug 05, 2014 Eli2abeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
boring chick lit
Carol
Jul 13, 2014 Carol rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrid ending to a lame story
Kristen
Apr 26, 2014 Kristen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was really bad. Really.
LibraryCin

After Charlotte's heart is broken by her previous (married) employer, in order to get away, she accepts a nanny position in Iceland. Unfortunately, she later finds herself falling for her new employer. What she's not sure about is where his wife is?

I thought this was cute. I loved all the references to Nancy Drew and there were shades of Jane Eyre. It really is a mindless, fluffy, quick read, though. Don't expect too much out of it. Though some didn't like the ending, I did.
Margaret
I was drawn into this book by the title and I found Charlotte's thoughts about Nancy Drew amusing, although her dependence on thinking, "What would Nancy Drew do?" was misguided. I wanted Charlotte to grow and learn from her mistakes in life during the story however her growth was not very apparent to me. There were some amusing parts and her thoughts to herself were sometimes witty but you do have to suspend belief for parts of this book to get through it.
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • The Year of Living Famously
  • The WWW Club: A Novel of Sex and Bonbons
  • Hand-Me-Down
  • Rescuing Rose
Lauren grew up in Monroe, CT, where her father owned a drugstore at which her mother was the pharmacist. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut at Storrs, where she majored in psychology. She also has what she calls her “half-Masters” in English from Western Connecticut State University (five courses down, another five to go…someday!).

Throughout college, she worked semester breaks as a
More about Lauren Baratz-Logsted...

“It is indeed possible to be widely read, as I am, and still have black holes in one's knowledge.” 3 likes
“Actually, I was beginning to think that even I should be able to solve .153847 mysteries. It was the 38 part, I suspected, that would be the problem.” 0 likes