You're in Charge--Now What?

You're in Charge--Now What?

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Getting a new job or a big promotion is like building a house: You need to get the foundation right for both. With a job, the quick-drying cement is how well you do in your first hundred days, since they establish the foundation for long-term momentum and great performance.
Tom Neff and Jim Citrin are two of the world's leading experts on leadership and career success. As...more
Published January 11th 2005 by Crown Business (first published 2005)

Lucas
Chapter 1: The Countdown: Preparing for the Race Before You Reach the Starting Line

How do you get set to go when you're moving into a new industry or area?
1) Call on customers. Without being overly direct, you can learn how the industry is viewed.
2) Watch consumers. For consumer goods manufacturers or retailers, time spent in the store pays huge dividends.
3) Find retirees. Alumni know more about the industry and the company's culture than anyone else.
4) Read everything. The internet makes it eas...more
Al
Central Truths:

1. Leader who starts to make decision based on the premature assumption that her reality is the one that everybody else has may be in for a rude reality check.
2. When you start a new job, you are in a temporary state of incompetence. You cannot have all the answers.
3. If you cannot get a shared reality, political support, and alignment, you are in the ditch.
4. In troubled times, you need as many brains as possible working on the issue.
5. Focus on building a team of people with sim...more
JP
This quick read is packed with good advice for a new leader to follow in their first 100 days and the prep period leading up to the official start. I liked the 8-point framework and the many practical examples. My only substantial criticisms are that they relied very heavily on a small set of top CEOs and all of their scenarios involved the most senior roles of organizations. Their ideas are equally applicable to other levels of leadership, where the need is arguably greater.
Kellea
This is a great, easy to read book, especially if you are preparing for a job interview. It offers practical information that is easily applicable to any situation,similar to a blueprint for success. This will definitely help you stay organized as a professional and move into a leadership position smoothly.
Linda J
As this genre goes, this book is more helpful than most. Good initial tactics that can evolve into more longterm strategies. Much less proscriptive and guilt-inducing than First 90 Days.
Kaushal Mahajan
Usefull and practical suggestions are embedded all through the book - real world examples by leaders (mostly CEOs of large US corporations), not just success stories but even of seroius missteps. A very balanced read according to me and very helpful.
M William
This book was recommended by my new boss as I was moving from a job supervising 2 people to leading a team of 7. The most helpful part was the advice to put together a 90 day plan. It helped me to get off to a great start.
Nicole
I didn't find this book particular helpful as all the examples were really at the CEO level. Not quite where I'm coming from.
Kenneth
It provided some good insights about what to do what not to do what one is first put in charge of an organization. Easy read.
Andre Hoffmann
sound and common sense advice for those about to embark on a daunting corporate leadership challenge
Monica
one of the best management books I've read. It helped me a lot through this transition
victor urbina
Nov 01, 2008 victor urbina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people managing other people
Recommended to victor by: fortune magazine
great biz book for anyone stepping into a new mgmt position at any level.
Adri
How to take charge in first 100 days of a managerial position
Jorjan Loos
I should have read this BEFORE I started my new job!
Pearl
Great ideas for starting as a leader in any capacity.
Carlos Rendon
didn't finish.. too boring
Melissa
Jan 16, 2012 Melissa is currently reading it
Work recommendation...
Vikram Janardhan
Vikram Janardhan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Katrina Hutchins
Katrina Hutchins marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
One-Click
One-Click marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Todd
Todd marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Lessons from the Top: The 50 Most Successful Business Leaders in America--and What You Can Learn From Them You're in Charge--Now What?: The 8 Point Plan