Start by marking “You're in Charge--Now What?” as Want to Read:
You're in Charge--Now What?

You're in Charge--Now What?

Getting a new job or a big promotion is like building a house: You need to get the foundation right for both. With a job, the quick-drying cement is how well you do in your first hundred days, since they establish the foundation for long-term momentum and great performance.
Tom Neff and Jim Citrin are two of the world's leading experts on leadership and career success. As
Published January 11th 2005 by Crown Business (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about You're in Charge--Now What?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're in Charge--Now What?

Lucas
Jan 24, 2013 Lucas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chapter 1: The Countdown: Preparing for the Race Before You Reach the Starting Line

How do you get set to go when you're moving into a new industry or area?
1) Call on customers. Without being overly direct, you can learn how the industry is viewed.
2) Watch consumers. For consumer goods manufacturers or retailers, time spent in the store pays huge dividends.
3) Find retirees. Alumni know more about the industry and the company's culture than anyone else.
4) Read everything. The internet makes it eas
Al
Feb 29, 2012 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Central Truths:

1. Leader who starts to make decision based on the premature assumption that her reality is the one that everybody else has may be in for a rude reality check.
2. When you start a new job, you are in a temporary state of incompetence. You cannot have all the answers.
3. If you cannot get a shared reality, political support, and alignment, you are in the ditch.
4. In troubled times, you need as many brains as possible working on the issue.
5. Focus on building a team of people with sim
Kim Bui
Feb 24, 2017 Kim Bui rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's because I didn't read the latest edition, but this thing is not for women, or anyone who works in a creative field. It's really really geared toward CEOs no mater what the back flap says.

Things that threw me off:
1) It recommended that if you need to move, that you move first, and spend the first 100 days alone, apart from your family. I'm not sure I would have a family if I did that.
2) It said that to set the tone, sometimes it's fun to mix things up and wear bright ties! OOooooooo.
Michelle Despres
Oct 19, 2016 Michelle Despres rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, nonfiction, business
Better than many business books I've read. I took a lot of notes and wrote down a lot of ideas. It some ways it felt like having the advice of a great mentor.

Be warned that this a book that is intended mainly for CEOs. (I'm a new VP.) The authors do comment once every so often about how to apply some of their advice to other leadership roles.

It's also a book about companies that are large and publicly held. At one point, a CEO has a meeting with 420 managers. Haha, my company has about that ma
Eileen
Jun 14, 2015 Eileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic read at the beach yesterday; I had started this book last week but finished reading it as the sun was shining and I looked out to the ocean (a perfect place to think about my new role and how to manage the team) ! The two authors interviewed CEO's and leaders in all industries and wrote about what it takes to success in a new leadership position.The first 100 days pyramid is bookmarked for me and the list of how to spend your time has been my priority the past three weeks. I particul ...more
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro Ya eres el jefe, ¿y ahora qué?, de Thomas J. Neff y James M. Citrin.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: liderazgo, características de un buen líder.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro Ya eres el jefe, ¿y ahora qué?, Un método para tomar las riendas de cualquier organización: Ya eres el jefe, ¿y ahora qué?
Estevo Raposo
Jun 12, 2016 Estevo Raposo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro está centrado en experiencias de nuevos líderes en empresas americanas cotizadas y es del año 2005.

Dicho esto, es concreto, práctico y va al grano. Con lo que salvando las distancias de época, ubicación geográfica y tamaño de la empresa, me sirvió de mucho en mi actual coyuntura vital, así que, sin duda es recomendable a cualquiera que se sienta interpelado por el título tan descriptivo del libro.
JP
May 18, 2013 JP rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This quick read is packed with good advice for a new leader to follow in their first 100 days and the prep period leading up to the official start. I liked the 8-point framework and the many practical examples. My only substantial criticisms are that they relied very heavily on a small set of top CEOs and all of their scenarios involved the most senior roles of organizations. Their ideas are equally applicable to other levels of leadership, where the need is arguably greater.
Kellea
May 10, 2011 Kellea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great, easy to read book, especially if you are preparing for a job interview. It offers practical information that is easily applicable to any situation,similar to a blueprint for success. This will definitely help you stay organized as a professional and move into a leadership position smoothly.
M William
May 25, 2011 M William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended by my new boss as I was moving from a job supervising 2 people to leading a team of 7. The most helpful part was the advice to put together a 90 day plan. It helped me to get off to a great start.
Kaushal Mahajan
Sep 21, 2013 Kaushal Mahajan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usefull and practical suggestions are embedded all through the book - real world examples by leaders (mostly CEOs of large US corporations), not just success stories but even of seroius missteps. A very balanced read according to me and very helpful.
Linda J
Dec 29, 2013 Linda J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As this genre goes, this book is more helpful than most. Good initial tactics that can evolve into more longterm strategies. Much less proscriptive and guilt-inducing than First 90 Days.
Andre Hoffmann
Dec 06, 2012 Andre Hoffmann rated it liked it
sound and common sense advice for those about to embark on a daunting corporate leadership challenge
Kenneth
It provided some good insights about what to do what not to do what one is first put in charge of an organization. Easy read.
Nicole
Jan 29, 2009 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find this book particular helpful as all the examples were really at the CEO level. Not quite where I'm coming from.
Scott Brown
Mar 29, 2016 Scott Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on creating a 100 day plan for taking on a new professional role. Great recommendation from a colleague and strong supporter of mine. Comes complete with a real life sample plan.
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Henry Ingrouille
Henry Ingrouille rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Joyce
Joyce rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2009
Scott Gardner
Scott Gardner rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Heather4674
Heather4674 rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2010
Marcin Budzik
Marcin Budzik rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2013
Scott Osman
Scott Osman rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 16, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2012
Lindsey
Lindsey rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
R
R rated it it was ok
Jul 19, 2008
veronica  t mallett
veronica t mallett rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Ron
Ron rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2016
  • The First-Time Manager
  • Managing in the Next Society
  • The Project50 (Reinventing Work): Fifty Ways to Transform Every "Task" into a Project That Matters!
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • Harvard Business Review on Managing Yourself
  • Boundaries: Workbook
  • Know-How: The 8 Skills That Separate People Who Perform from Those Who Don't
  • Communicate With Confidence!
  • How to Connect in Business in 90 Seconds or Less (Audiofy Digital Audiobook Chips)
  • The 80/20 Individual: How to Build on the 20% of What You do Best
  • How to Castrate a Bull: Unexpected Lessons on Risk, Growth, and Success in Business
  • Funky Business: Talent Makes Capital Dance
  • Open: How We’ll Work, Live and Learn In The Future
  • Never Check E-Mail In the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Work
  • Thinking Small: The Long, Strange Trip of the Volkswagen Beetle
  • Success Built to Last: Creating a Life that Matters
  • The Extraordinary Leader : Turning Good Managers into Great Leaders
  • Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose