Start by marking “The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul” as Want to Read:
The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul

The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Drawing from the deep tradition of the Catholic faith, Lisa Hendey coaches Catholic moms how to care for themselves so that they can better love and care for their families, neighbourhoods, and their church.
Published February 1st 2010 by Ave Maria Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Handbook for Catholic Moms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Handbook for Catholic Moms

I've been reading this book with the Mom's group at my church. We began another book, but abandoned it after about 3 chapters. None of us were really connecting with the other book. It felt very abstract and irrelevant to our lives.

That was not the case with Ms. Hendey's book. The author is the creator of the website and blogs regularly about the Catholic faith. She has two teenage sons. Her voice is that of a modern woman who is doing her best to combine faith, family and daily
A little too basic, but an excellent resource for all Catholic women. The author is down to earth and shares many insights that many of us could easily understand and agree with. The recommended "to do" at the end of each chapter are great as are the suggested resources.
Leticia Velasquez
This is a lonely time to be a mother. Neighborhoods are empty during the day, playgrounds are occupied with babysitters, and the parking lot after church looks more like a traffic jam than an opportunity for fellowship. Where is a Catholic mom to get solid advice on things like; prayer, fitness, finances, time management, doctor visits, and creating a culture of faith in our homes? We Catholic Moms are confronted with a culture which considers us at best, quaint, and we long for acceptance and a ...more
Rating this is hard. If the book cut out the 60% that is just total worthless filler, it would be a 4. Judging it on all the waste of space stuff, a 1. With the title, a Handbook for Catholic Moms, I expected the emphasis to be on the Catholic element. Instead there's a lot of just general mom stuff (particularly the second two sections). The heart and soul sections are good, the mind and body sections just silly. I don't need to know how to organize my time or a reminder to go to the doctor or ...more
Excellent book. I found myself taking so many notes as I read it!
This book was good but a little late in getting to me. It would make an excellent gift for a new Catholic Mom looking for some ideas on building her life around her faith and family with step-by-step positive tips. There were also stories from other Catholic Moms tackling life's challenges of getting enough sleep, managing your time, building a network of friends, and many more. It had some great quotes from recent Popes and Saints as well that I enjoyed reading.
This is not a parenting-advice book but one on how moms can take care of themselves. Moms need to take care of their heart, mind, body and soul so that they can nurture their families and loved ones. Through personal stories from the author and others, moms learn that they are not alone and receive concrete suggestions on how to handle life's challenges. A wonderful, encouraging book for any mom.
This book is obviously for groups - like Women's Parish Groups, however, it is useful for individuals as well. I know there is a workbook to go with this, but I don't have it. I have been slowly reading a chapter and reflecting upon it, and it has taken some time for me to "get into" it.
I love the "homework" at the end of each chapter. Even though I do pretty well with making time for prayer, getting to mass, and teaching my children about God the activities Lisa suggested stretched me. And that's what you want from this type of book, to be stretched.
AWESOME! This book is a must-read for any Catholic mom. It is not the same run of the mill information. I learned a lot and also got motivated to make some changes!
Mallory Mcshane
I have loved every minute of this book!!! It is such a good read preparing to become a mother and so refreshing spiritually!
Cute, easy-read. Liked it!
Kayla marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Julene Barder
Julene Barder marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Kelly added it
Jul 25, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Megan added it
Aug 18, 2015
Amy Ferguson
Amy Ferguson marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Rachel Kratz
Rachel Kratz marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Elyse Berninger
Elyse Berninger marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Small Steps for Catholic Moms
  • Parenting with Grace: Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids
  • The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • Extreme Makeover: Women Transformed by Christ, Not Conformed to the Culture
  • Breaking Through: Catholic Women Speak for Themselves
  • A Little Way of Homeschooling
  • Our Lady of Kibeho: Mary Speaks to the World from the Heart of Africa
  • Made for More
  • The Incorruptibles: A Study of Incorruption in the Bodies of Various Saints and Beati
  • Sinner: The Catholic Guy's Funny, Feeble Attempts to Be a Faithful Catholic
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • Swear to God The Promise and Power of the Sacraments
  • The Theology of the Body: Human Love in the Divine Plan (Parish Resources)
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir
  • The Weight of a Mass: A Tale of Faith
  • Discipline That Lasts a Lifetime: The Best Gift You Can Give Your Kids: Dr. Ray Answers Your Frequently Asked Questions
Lisa M. Hendey is the Founder and Editor of, a web site focusing on the Catholic faith, Catholic parenting and family life, and Catholic cultural topics. The author of The Handbook for Catholic Moms and A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms, Lisa lives in Fresno, California with her husband Greg and teenage sons Eric and Adam. She loves reading, writing and time with friends and famil ...more
More about Lisa M. Hendey...
A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms: 52 Companions for Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul The Grace of Yes: Eight Virtues for Generous Living The Secret of the Shamrock O Radiant Dawn: 5-Minute Prayers Around the Advent Wreath The Sign of the Carved Cross