Start by marking “The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul” as Want to Read:
The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul

The Handbook for Catholic Moms: Nurturing Your Heart, Mind, Body, and Soul

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  120 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Drawing from the deep tradition of the Catholic faith, Lisa Hendey coaches Catholic moms how to care for themselves so that they can better love and care for their families, neighbourhoods, and their church.
Published February 1st 2010 by Ave Maria Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Handbook for Catholic Moms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Handbook for Catholic Moms

Cathy
May 31, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
I've been reading this book with the Mom's group at my church. We began another book, but abandoned it after about 3 chapters. None of us were really connecting with the other book. It felt very abstract and irrelevant to our lives.

That was not the case with Ms. Hendey's book. The author is the creator of the website CatholicMom.com and blogs regularly about the Catholic faith. She has two teenage sons. Her voice is that of a modern woman who is doing her best to combine faith, family and daily
Sherri
Dec 28, 2014 Sherri rated it really liked it
A little too basic, but an excellent resource for all Catholic women. The author is down to earth and shares many insights that many of us could easily understand and agree with. The recommended "to do" at the end of each chapter are great as are the suggested resources.
Leticia Velasquez
Apr 14, 2012 Leticia Velasquez rated it it was amazing
This is a lonely time to be a mother. Neighborhoods are empty during the day, playgrounds are occupied with babysitters, and the parking lot after church looks more like a traffic jam than an opportunity for fellowship. Where is a Catholic mom to get solid advice on things like; prayer, fitness, finances, time management, doctor visits, and creating a culture of faith in our homes? We Catholic Moms are confronted with a culture which considers us at best, quaint, and we long for acceptance and a ...more
Traci
Mar 28, 2012 Traci rated it liked it
Rating this is hard. If the book cut out the 60% that is just total worthless filler, it would be a 4. Judging it on all the waste of space stuff, a 1. With the title, a Handbook for Catholic Moms, I expected the emphasis to be on the Catholic element. Instead there's a lot of just general mom stuff (particularly the second two sections). The heart and soul sections are good, the mind and body sections just silly. I don't need to know how to organize my time or a reminder to go to the doctor or ...more
Kelly
May 14, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
Excellent book. I found myself taking so many notes as I read it!
Stephanie
Mar 17, 2016 Stephanie rated it did not like it
I ended up not finishing this book and returning it to Audible. Here's the thing: I don't do well with preachy books on parenting, faith, or life. I was hoping for something relatable with cute stories, good tips, and some laughs. Instead I got a lecture about what exactly my life should look like if I am being a good Catholic.

It didn't work for me. Bummer, because I really enjoy Hendey's blog. This just wasn't a good fit. Less lecturing and sickeningly sweet advice and more stories about runnin
Atlantis
Sep 27, 2012 Atlantis rated it really liked it
This book was good but a little late in getting to me. It would make an excellent gift for a new Catholic Mom looking for some ideas on building her life around her faith and family with step-by-step positive tips. There were also stories from other Catholic Moms tackling life's challenges of getting enough sleep, managing your time, building a network of friends, and many more. It had some great quotes from recent Popes and Saints as well that I enjoyed reading.
Barb
Jun 30, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing
This is not a parenting-advice book but one on how moms can take care of themselves. Moms need to take care of their heart, mind, body and soul so that they can nurture their families and loved ones. Through personal stories from the author and others, moms learn that they are not alone and receive concrete suggestions on how to handle life's challenges. A wonderful, encouraging book for any mom.
Jun 11, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This book is obviously for groups - like Women's Parish Groups, however, it is useful for individuals as well. I know there is a workbook to go with this, but I don't have it. I have been slowly reading a chapter and reflecting upon it, and it has taken some time for me to "get into" it.
Kathy
May 31, 2010 Kathy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
I love the "homework" at the end of each chapter. Even though I do pretty well with making time for prayer, getting to mass, and teaching my children about God the activities Lisa suggested stretched me. And that's what you want from this type of book, to be stretched.
Alicia
Jul 06, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing
AWESOME! This book is a must-read for any Catholic mom. It is not the same run of the mill information. I learned a lot and also got motivated to make some changes!
Mallory Mcshane
Sep 04, 2012 Mallory Mcshane rated it it was amazing
I have loved every minute of this book!!! It is such a good read preparing to become a mother and so refreshing spiritually!
Chantal
Jan 12, 2011 Chantal rated it really liked it
Cute, easy-read. Liked it!
Emily Mathias
Oct 02, 2013 Emily Mathias rated it it was amazing
love this book
Danielle Davis
Danielle Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Michael Wendel
Michael Wendel rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Elżbieta Miętka
Elżbieta Miętka marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Celine Oravetz
Celine Oravetz marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Rebecca Rodriguez
Rebecca Rodriguez rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Kristina Picha
Kristina Picha marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
A'dailya Gummeringer
A'dailya Gummeringer marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Marc Washburne
Marc Washburne rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Laurie Lou
Laurie Lou is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2016
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
  • Small Steps for Catholic Moms: Think. Pray. Act. Every Day.
  • The Catholic Home: Celebrations and Traditions for Holidays, Feast Days, and Every Day
  • Parenting with Grace: Catholic Parent's Guide to Raising Almost Perfect Kids
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • Extreme Makeover: Women Transformed by Christ, Not Conformed to the Culture
  • Breaking Through: Catholic Women Speak for Themselves
  • A Little Way of Homeschooling
  • Holiness for Housewives: And Other Working Women
  • Made for More
  • Sinner: The Catholic Guy's Funny, Feeble Attempts to Be a Faithful Catholic
  • The Incorruptibles: A Study of Incorruption in the Bodies of Various Saints and Beati
  • Ordinary Work, Extraordinary Grace: My Spiritual Journey in Opus Dei
  • The Theology of the Body: Human Love in the Divine Plan (Parish Resources)
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • The Weight of a Mass: A Tale of Faith
  • The World's First Love: Mary, Mother of God
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ: From the Visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich
Lisa M. Hendey is the Founder and Editor of CatholicMom.com, a web site focusing on the Catholic faith, Catholic parenting and family life, and Catholic cultural topics. The author of The Handbook for Catholic Moms and A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms, Lisa lives in Fresno, California with her husband Greg and teenage sons Eric and Adam. She loves reading, writing and time with friends and famil ...more
More about Lisa M. Hendey...