Cluny Brown

Cluny Brown

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Working class young woman in 1938 is sent to work at a Devon manor by her despairing uncle.
Published March 28th 1982 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1944)

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Philadelphia Story by Philip BarryThe Third Man by Graham GreeneArsenic and Old Lace by Joseph KesselringMama's Bank Account by Kathryn Forbes
Classic Film Adaptations: The 1940s
36th out of 45 books — 8 voters
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Case of the Wayward Fae ~ A Chronicle of Mister Marmee by H.L.  StephensThe Case of Jack the Nipper by H.L.  StephensThe Yard by Alex GrecianThe Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse
Sink into British-ness
19th out of 47 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Bree (AnotherLookBook)
A novel about a young woman in WWII-era Britain who is deemed not to know her place in life, so her uncle/guardian sends her off to be a housemaid at a country estate.

Full review at Another Look Book

Reminded me of:
- “Downton Abbey”; “Upstairs/Downstairs”
- D. E. Stevenson (The Blue Sapphire)
- Vita Sackville-West (The Heir; All Passion Spent; The Edwardians)
- Phillip Rock (The Passing Bells)
Siobhan Burns
So dated, and so so charming. Has a touch of Wodehouse, but not as silly, and a touch of Jo March, but much frothier. Things that seems quite obvious to her are dumbfounding to others, and vice versa, but you easily come to agree with her way of thinking. A lovely coming of age story of a young woman with a rather unique charm.
Michele Brenton
A brilliant book enjoyed by myself and my husband when he finally got round to reading it. Lots of fun and wonderfully insightful as to how people can find their place in the world if they are prepared to smash their way through conventions.
Lynn
Very cute and funny story about an eccentric, strangely attractive young woman who gets herself in wacky situations. Books like this just make me so happy to be alive and able to read.
Ricky Garni
Imagine if Henry James had a sense of humor.
I had read and loved several of the Rescuers books as a child so when I discovered that Margery Sharp had written stories for adults I was intrigued. Well...

I really wanted to like this book. It just didn't grab me. The premise was interesting but I never felt connected to the characters. In fact, I disliked most of them. The ending was so unlikely (although I was glad for Cluny) that it made me groan with disbelief.

and lucky me, I accidentally ordered this book twice so now I have TWO copies...more
Deana David Lissenberg
Deserves to be a classic, as I think many people consider it. A great main character - Cluny. This isn't a challenging or heavy book- a great period comedy that reads beautifully. I loved the main characters, the dialogue, the setting. It's very funny, surprising, and really touching at times. So far, I love anything from Margery Sharp.
Jodi
For some reason I was reminded of Amelia Bedelia as I was reading this. Cluny wasn't as foolish as Amelia, but was really clueless about some things. I didn't find the novel as funny as some reviewers did, but it was a harmless summer read.

Barbara
(paperback/used) The first of the "Margery Sharp" novels I've read. Loved the book, enjoyed the movie (Charles Boyer and Jennifer Jones)...but alas one of the funniest conventions (Squirrels to the Nuts) in the movie, was not part of the book.
Polly
Cluny Brown, a girl who 'doesn't know her place', according to her uncle the plumber and various others, goes into service in the country and finally finds her place, although not the one her relatives expected her to find.
Barbara VA
What a fun read from one of my favorite movies! But I so missed the squirrels to nuts! Ms Sharp has taken so many ideas from the best of the British authors and settings! I thought of Wodehouse especially as I was reading!
Dawn
What a delight! I had been watching 'Downton Abbey' and this was right up my alley. If you like Jane Austen type books this is for you. This little 'sleeper' is a real treasure. The ending will make you gasp out loud.
Diane Robinson
I loved this book. Written in 1944, the author has a unique style and whimsy. An awesome story with no sex, violence, or swearing. A great read. Highly recommended.
Emjy
Merveilleusement adapté par Lubistch en 1946, ce roman est une très plaisante comédie anglaise un brin décalée avec une héroïne rêveuse et fantasque.
Karlyne Landrum
This was such a funny little book that I smiled all the way through it. What strange, goofy, real people ran through its pages!
Josie
I found a musty copy that belonged to my grandmother in the basement on a trip home. Quirky and cute.
Susan
The movie was MUCH better. Although I did like the idea that "she looked like SOMEONE"
Kparke
I've never read a Margery Sharp book that I haven't loved, but this one is my favorite.
Patty
Sep 20, 2011 Patty rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: bonney, polly
Recommended to Patty by: saw the movie
Very fun and inspiring: be yourself. British society of the last century.
Donata
Carinissimo. E il personaggio di Cluny Brown non si dimentica facilmente.
Annette Balter
Choices for women between the wars in England. Charming.
Christine
Fun and fluffy. A period piece, to be sure.
Emily
Brideshead Revisited meets A Room with a View.
Binx Gray
Delightful!
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Tellam
Tellam marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Dianna
Dianna marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Margery Sharp was born Clara Margery Melita Sharp in Salisbury. She spent part of her childhood in Malta.

Sharp wrote 26 novels, 14 children's stories, 4 plays, 2 mysteries and many short stories. She is best known for her series of children's books about a little white mouse named Miss Bianca and her companion, Bernard. Two Disney films have been made based on them, called The Rescuers and The Res...more
More about Margery Sharp...
The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1) Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2) Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (The Rescuers, #4) The Turret (The Rescuers, #3) Miss Bianca in the Orient (The Rescuers, #5)