Start by marking “Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)” as Want to Read:
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1)

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  93,682 ratings  ·  4,689 reviews
Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like o ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published January 31st 2006 by Ace (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Called, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Called

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
2nd out of 2,413 books — 8,896 voters
Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
7th out of 1,470 books — 9,551 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
Jan 22, 2011 Kat Kennedy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of UF/PNR
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: Bry
The cover is shit
PNR are all the same
Moon Called is still good.

What could be better than a Haiku review?

Well, other than a proper review, I guess...

The thing is, I did REALLY enjoy this book - it has a lot to recommend itself to readers with. Mercy is a nice character. She's not a complete badass but she's not a push over either.

There's a mystery - though the mystery was interesting it all came up kind of lame in the end.

The writing is pretty good and even though the world building is stock-stan
valee
Kat Stark

Buddyread with these incredible women: Anne, Krishna, Sara, & Sesana (Click to read their reviews)

Time for a non-review review...because I fucking can.

This will be a review consisted of movie quotes that I feel explain the book in a way that I can't because I'm too fucking lazy to write a proper review besides, we all know you're either gonna read it or not. Nothing I say will matter.

"A liger...it's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed - bred for its skills in m
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
What a great addition to the urban fantasy genre. Mercy is a likeable and engaging protagonist. She doesn't come off as invincible and inhuman in her buttkicking abilities, yet at the same time, she is comfortable in her own skin and can hold her own.

The universe is interesting, much like the world we live in, save the addition of preternatural creatues such as werewolves, vampires, fae, and coyote shifters like Mercy, which seem quite rare.

I enjoyed the description of the pack dynamics and Merc
Joshua
Feb 12, 2008 Joshua rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a kick-ass female protagonist
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It pains me to say this (and I may lose my "guy" cred), but I'm a big fan of the urban-fantasy sub-genre. While I tend to lean more towards male protagonists (i.e. Butcher's Dresdan Files and Green's Nightside series), I still love me a good, tough female protagonist. That being said, I was hesitant to pick this one up because of the abysmal Harlequin like cover. In my opinion, many of the current crop of urban-fantasy covers look like they belong in the romance section. Why do I even know w ...more
Nic
"MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT."

Lately I have been reading just pretty much young adult books but I thought I give adult urban fantasy a go and I’m so glad I did. Moon Called was action packed, witty, suspenseful and addictive. When I finished it I wanted to run straight down to the bookstore and get the next one but unfortunately I had spent my weekly book budget.

The plot is fast moving although there is
Tatiana
Mar 01, 2010 Tatiana rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
After attempting to read "Moon Called" at least 5 times I am finally giving up. There is absolutely no chance I will ever read the sequels, so why bother?

I am a fan of urban fantasy and this novel is very highly rated by readers, so it is surprising that I disliked it so much. My expectations for urban fantasy are not huge: well developed lore, engaging paranormal mystery and one or two sexy supernatural hunks to swoon over. I don't care how formulaic it is, as long as it is written well.

"Moon
Alkyoni

I like you Mercy Thompson.

I like you because you’re tough, but not invincible.

I like you because you’re brave, but not stupid.

I like you because you are caring, but nobody’s fool.

I like you because you make mistakes, but you don’t place the blame elsewhere.

I like you because you’re smart, but not a show-off.

I like you because you stand on your own among much more powerful creatures than you, but you know your limits.

I like you because you don’t give a damn about what others think of you, but tho
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Jan 24, 2014 Bubbles Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bubbles Hunty by: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/4779646-msopp-julie
Review from first time i read it, 04/25/11 to 04/27/11:

Mercy was awesome loved this book...

Mercy was really funny

Mercy was really fast (but not easy, takes a whole flipping book for a guy to get a kiss)

Mercy was pretty smart, for a girl ;)

Mercy wasn't completely helpless, she uh might rip your throat out with her teeth and watch you bleed to death (just sayin')

Mercy never even mentions her man eating vagina once in this whole book

Mercy also didn't shower once in this whole book and even she men
Ronyell
What do you get when you have a heroine who can change into a coyote in a matter of seconds add in two sexy male werewolves, and a kidnapping plot that will turn heads? You will get this book “Moon Called” by Patricia Briggs which stars Mercy Thompson, your not so average heroine! If I get paid a dime every time I see a heroine become a shape shifter, I would be a millionaire by now! Full of action, mystery and a lust for the supernatural, “Moon Called” is one novel that paranormal and fantasy r ...more
♥Rachel♥
Moon Called is the first book in the Mercy Thompson Urban Fantasy series, and it was a strong start. It was fun, fast paced, with strong characters and an engrossing plot. I love my female protags to have some spunk and be able to kick a little ass and Mercy Thompson ticks all those boxes and more!

Mercy Thompson is a “walker” and can shapeshift into a coyote. Mercy isn’t a werewolf but she is very close to them after being raised by a powerful pack. At sixteen, she leaves after the pack Alpha se
Heather
Moon Called is a run of the mill Urban Fantasy pick. It was entertaining enough to keep my attention, but didn’t elicit any strong feelings of extreme like or dislike. Initially I thought I would totally dig it. The heroine, Mercy, is a tatted up car mechanic. Talk about an interesting angle. But despite Mercy’s uniqueness in this urban fantasy genre, where more often than not, the females are all articulate journalists or cops and yet complete bombshells, Mercy, with all her otherness, still ma ...more
Amanda
Jul 10, 2013 Amanda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: blog
Move on. Nothing new to see here.

That's my biggest complaint about Moon Called. For someone new to the fantasy/supernatural world, it's probably entertaining enough but it definitely has the smack of "been there, done that" for the seasoned genre reader. I would have loved it 10 to 15 years ago.

Moon Called does have a few things going for it, especially the fact that too often books like this are just an excuse to have "things that go bump in the night" bump uglies in the middle of the night (*c
Angela
Wow. So there's really not a good cover-blurb for this book. What the heck? I guess, if they're going for tease, it's hitting the mark. *frowns*

I can't remember who first told me to read this book. I wish I could because it has given me endless hours of entertainment over the years. Patricia Briggs is one of my all-time favorite authors, and I'm not sure I can do her books justice (which is why I haven't even tried to review them before now).

This book's fate rested squarely on Mercy's shoulders
Werner
Jan 10, 2014 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of supernatural fiction, urban fantasy, and or kickbutt heroines
My explorations into the previously (to me) largely uncharted realm of urban fantasy this past year continued with this novel, the opener for a series I'd heard a lot of good things about. When a generous Goodreads friend offered me her copy when she finished reading it, rather than let it gather dust on her shelf, I grabbed it up! As my "really liked it" rating indicates, I'm glad I did.

The Goodreads description of the series premise is a bit "barebones," though accurate enough. Mercy's alterna
Maggie
Aug 13, 2013 Maggie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maggie by: Noelle & Sarah
(Originally reviewed on January 5, 2012)

Expectations going in: Low. Very low. There's a mass market feel to urban fantasy that never appealed to my bougie ass.

3% in: Okay, a little intrigued by this note:
MS. THOMPSON, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT.
4% in: Notice repeated use of the word desultory. Well, well, well. Looks like Patricia Briggs can be bougie too.

10% in: Thinking of potential Tangled gifs to use as a status update. Always a good sign.

12% in
Anne
Buddy Read (or re-read, in my case) with Kat, Krishna, Sara, and Sesana.
Disclaimer: I may have bullied them into reading this...

All of these guys gave it a 'gentle' 3 stars. Even Sesana (view spoiler) was kind. Thank you!
So, with none of my pals really loving this one, coupled with the fact that I read it 5 years ago, I was fully prepared to change my rating from the original 4 s
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars I liked Mercy, I liked just about all of the characters, and I liked the descriptions of the shapeshifting and the wolf/coyote behavior. The mystery wasn't all that compelling to me in this book and there are a few too many info-dumping passages for my taste, but as with most urban fantasy series, I hear book two is where it starts to get good. Looking forward to it!
Zeek
I absolutely recommend this one! Full of Werewolves, Vampires, and Shapeshifters, OH MY, AND a totally brilliant butt-kicking heroine who just happens to have a coyote alter ego- I did not want to put it down once I got into it!

The heroine, Mercy Thompson, is a walker- a shapeshifter of Native American descent- who wears her coyote skin as comfortably as her human form. It's difficult to review this one without spoiling it for those who haven't read it yet, but I'll attempt it.

In Moon Called, Me
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
4.5 STARS!!!

The biggest reason why I don’t read many UF books is because I can never find a heroine who’s POV doesn’t piss me off. Cat from Night Huntress pissed me off at first because of her prejudices. Merit from the Chicagoland Vampires doesn’t stand out from her supporting cast because they all act the same. I can go on, but instead I’ll just say this:

I LOVE MERCY THOMPSON!!!

Mercy is my new favourite heroine! She’s a walker, which allows her to shift into a coyote. With this ability, she’
Angela
5 May 2014: $4.59 on Kindle ~ still an excellent deal!
3 March 2014: $2.99 on Kindle

Review:
This is one of my top favorite series. I re-read it at least once a year - often even more than that - and I'm always sucked in, always so incredibly emotionally invested in the characters and what happens to them.

I think, one of the best things about this book (and indeed anything I've read by Patricia Briggs) is the balance she maintains. Mercy's not perfect. No one is. Everyone makes some mistakes, every
AH
I have been finding it hard to sit down and write a review for this book. I gave it 4 stars, so I did like it, so that can’t be a problem. I think it’s because I read it while on vacation and my brain was not in review mode.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked Mercy. I liked that she was not a werewolf, but instead a skin walker that shifts into a coyote. Mercy is the only one of her kind and this seems to give her a special status with the werewolves.

The werewolf lore and the pack politics wer
Emily May
I should have liked this. I really wanted to like this. After all, it promises so many of the things I love about the Urban Fantasy genre: kick-ass heroine, supernatural creatures, murder mystery and hot other-wordly men. I'm actually not too demanding of the genre, Halfway to the Grave is one example of UF that is very light with little plot development and limited emphasis on the supernatural mystery element... and I really enjoyed it. If the author focuses on just one of the factors I mention ...more
Megan
The story wasn't bad ~ but the writing was awful :( Early in the book, the word "I" started just about every sentence. The reader knows every move Mercedes Thompson makes... but we never learn her feelings or motivations for her actions. Frustrating to read a book written in the first person, and never actually get a feel of the protagonist's personality.

What little we do learn of Mercedes just isn't exciting enough to make me want to continue this series... she is a smart ass, independant, kno
Sesana
This was my first stab at this particular brand of urban fantasy. I tried to go in without expectations, and I think I was mostly successful there. I just don't think that this genre, or maybe just this author, or maybe just this book was for me.

It's not like this is a badly written book, because it isn't. I can't point out anything in particular that was poorly done. The world building was fairly interesting, and Mercy herself is a good lead character. I don't really know what kept me from conn
Felicia
I enjoyed this book, the character is a tomboy and although the world isn't my total fave, I gobbled it up.
Beanbag Love
I'm finally getting to this author after many recommendations and I'm thrilled. I think this past year has been amazing for me with new authors. I'm pleased as punch!

Anyway, Mercy Thompson is a great heroine. She's not too tough, not too sweet, just right. And lots of guys dig her. But for once I can see why. So often I can't figure out why some vinegary miss is catching all the love, but Mercy's a really well drawn, well rounded character.

And the males are hawt. Shoooo. Adam? Gimme.

But I digre
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
I really can't remember why I decided this book wasn't worth my attention the first time I read it. Maybe I wasn't in the mood for it because this time around I couldn't put it down. It has everything!

A decent heroine:

Mercy is a walker. Walkers aren't like werewolves, she doesn't have super-strenght, the full moon just looks beautiful to her, she doesn't have the "killer" instict. She is happy working as a car mechanic, she is loyal to her friends, she is compassionate but she doesn't let peopl
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Mercy Thompson is a car mechanic who runs her own garage almost single-handedly. Her life follows a fairly simple pattern: teaching the world's only friendly vampire, Stefan, how to fix his old bus; chatting to undercover cop Tony; and quietly baiting the meticulous Alpha of the local werewolf pack, Adam, by putting a battered old spare-parts VW beetle in the field between their homes where he can see it from his bedroom window and wince.

Mercy knows how to deal with the werewolves - after all, s
Lissa Smith
Patricia Briggs has not only awakened her usual adult readers, she sent out wolf call to young adult readers who love their werewolves in this first installment of “The Mercy Thompson Series”, Mercedes “Mercy” Thompson the Volkswagen mechanic. Mercy is the mechanic with an uncanny ability to shift forms as easy as taking a breath and finding trouble or chaos with the next.

Early on we get a sneak peeks of Adams feeling for Mercy upon his arrival when he declares Mercy to be His. With the declarat
She-Geeks: Moon Called: Sept Read of the Month 4 17 Sep 25, 2014 04:00AM
Who's Your Author?: July BOM Moon Called 25 44 Jul 20, 2014 06:23AM
Are there any books similar to this series? 44 423 May 22, 2014 08:26PM
Shut Up & Read: Moon Called by Patricia Briggs 92 24 May 04, 2014 05:57PM
Mercy 33 330 Mar 20, 2014 09:28AM
sam or adam? 13 131 Oct 17, 2013 08:25PM
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Kitty and the Silver Bullet (Kitty Norville #4)
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2)
  • Blood Magic (World of the Lupi, #6)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na
More about Patricia Briggs...
Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3) Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2) Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4) Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega, #1)

14 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“MS. THOMPSON, it said in heavy block letters, PLEASE KEEP YOUR FELINE OFF MY PROPERTY. IF I SEE IT AGAIN, I WILL EAT IT.” 1053 likes
“I don't like it when I outweigh my men.” 559 likes