Start by marking “Avengers/Invaders” as Want to Read:
Avengers/Invaders

Avengers/Invaders (Invaders)

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Legends Live Again The original Invaders (Captain America, Bucky, Human Torch, Toro, and the Sub-Mariner) return in a new story by the award-winning team behind EARTH X, Justice, and Project Superpowers. The greatest super-team of World War II finds themselves transported from the battlefields of the Second World War to a future they never imagined Now, the Invaders find t ...more
Published August 18th 2010 by Marvel (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Avengers/Invaders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avengers/Invaders

Shannon Appelcline
Jun 11, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
A surprisingly mediocre comic, primarily thanks to the fact that it’s a couple of fights with very little development, then a big reboot button at the end. Pfah.
victoria.p
Sep 24, 2011 victoria.p rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
With all that's going on in this - and it's an enjoyable read for the most part - my main reaction was repeatedly, "Oh, Bucky." Which is probably more me than the book, but I find no matter what, I have that reaction to him.
Paul
Apr 14, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
Graphic novel with excellent art. Too many characters in too many time lines. Best part of this book was it was a gift from my son.
Sineala
Nov 28, 2014 Sineala rated it really liked it
I appear to be having really good luck finding superhero comics I am enjoying. Avengers/Invaders is a 12-issue miniseries from 2009 that contains two of my absolute favorite themes: (a) time travel, and (b) Tony Stark's vast amounts of post-Civil War grief over the death of Steve Rogers. Bring it.

So, yeah, here in Avengers/Invaders, the Invaders (that would be Captain America, Bucky Barnes, Namor, the original Human Torch, and Toro) are snatched right off a WW2 battlefield and deposited on the s
P Fosten
Aug 03, 2013 P Fosten rated it did not like it
Well this is a book with scope. For reasons best left unexplained, the WWII era superteam, The Invaders, find themselves in 2008 (then the contemporary time). There are consequences (including an interesting but ill thought out sidebar involving the original Human Torch and a recurring cliche of SHIELD-tech). Eventually they are returned to their time with some of their future counterparts to fix a problem in time.

The problem with it is, it's not very good. Almost all of the plotlines in this ar
Danny
Feb 23, 2013 Danny rated it it was ok
This book had a good premise too it but, wow, it was convoluted and difficult to follow. Alex Ross has a good mind for story telling and so there are some amazing themes running throughout the book. Ross brings humanity to his superhero stories. Such as: What if some normal guy was the one to change the fate of the world instead of some half-naked or costumed super humans? That was the point of this novel.

However the true potential for that was lost in the midst of meaningless drivel in between
Online Eccentric Librarian
Jul 24, 2014 Online Eccentric Librarian rated it it was amazing

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

There really is a lot here to like: beautiful artwork, a decent story, and a lot of background into the characters (which was helpful to me since I'm not versed in the Marvel universe).

The writer did a good job of depicting 1940s personalities and how they would react in modern day. Conversely, the way the modern heroes react to the 1940s characters is also well done - it's easy to see why the old superheroes were undere
Joe Young
Apr 04, 2011 Joe Young rated it liked it
Jim Krueger
Alex Ross

The collective longing of the American people has seemingly brought Captain America back from the dead. Unfortunately the method of his resurrection was to transport him, some allied soldiers in his vicinity and his World War 2 super-hero team The Invaders from their proper time in 1941 and hurl them into the midst of 2008 New York City. The story gets rather complex and muddled, but there are some really great moments with the original Human Torch, Toro (the human torches mu
Jack Haringa
I knew going into this that it would be rely on one of my least-favorite devices, time travel, but that's a conceit I'm willing to accept in comics more than prose narratives anyway. The problem here was the protracted nature of the conflict between the teams, exacerbated by the repercussions of the dreadful Civil War "event," that led to a significant amount of repetition from issue to issue. The latter part of the narrative dealing with an alternate-history Germany was much more interesting th ...more
Gavin
Jul 30, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Alex Ross gets to do his take on classic Avengers/Invaders the way he was able to do JLA at DC. The art of his is very well done as usual, but the storyline here is pretty decent as well.
The Invaders (Cap, Torch, Namor, Toro, Bucky) end up in the future by accident and need to return to the past without upsetting too much...however, in the present, Cap has just been assassinated...cue the problems, and people with split motivations when Time-Travel is involved.
That being said, it's very cool whe
Travis
Oct 12, 2013 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Alex Ross uses convoluted time travel and Invaders basically to dope slap the Avengers and point out how stupid Civil War was.
Big, sprawling with a lot of time spent on set up and hitting us over the head with the message, but still really entertaining.
The writing on the Invaders is rock solid and shows the writers have a lot of love for them, there's lots of action, it's an Alex Ross comic so there is a cast of 100s and the good is good enough to make me forgive them for the bad.

The bad would b
Devero
Mar 26, 2014 Devero rated it liked it
Una miniserie di 12 numeri ben congeniata, ambientata all'epoca post civil war, che mette a confronto due modi di vedere il super eroismo: quello della golden age del fumetto, rivisitata negli anni '70 da Roy Thomas, e quello contemporaneo.
Come spesso capita con storie corali dall'amplissimo numero di personaggi, ci sono alcune pecche nella caratterizzazione, ma si tratta di piccole cose rispetto al resto. Un'idea ripresa ultimamente anche da Bendis per i suoi pessimi "nuovissimi X-Men", ma qui
Shaun
Oct 18, 2012 Shaun rated it really liked it

Anything Alex Ross is involved with is amazing! I love the mixture of today's heroes and the golden age heroes. I thought the first few chapters were a bit heavy with multiple antagonists the two teams of Avengers, Ultron and D'spayre. Once the heroes are brought together and go back to an altered 1943, I feel that is were the story really took off. I also liked to see how vulnerable they made Toro, the Human Torch and young Namor. They all have something to learn about their own "humanity." Br
Erix
Jul 28, 2014 Erix rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
啊啊啊啊吧唧死一次要拿来虐多少回啊!妈蛋。大家都说吧唧熊,但是v5之后穿越的小吧唧一点都不熊了!how can i be less than the hero i am? 看得我要泪奔啊,为了不改变未来,即使知道会死也要选择再死一次,自我鼓励的时候又骄傲又勇敢T T。知道自己的小伙伴也要面对不可避免的牺牲,还顺手救一把,怎么能这么好。这本偏心侵袭组太多了,我也真喜欢Torch。妇联在队长死后变得好蠢…钢铁侠太可怜了那负罪感深重、还被小吧唧无辜言语补了这一大刀。
Marcia
Aug 11, 2015 Marcia added it
I had read Civil Wars and my friend Jamie said this was next. I found this one to be confusing and manipulative, sad to say.
Eric
Sep 11, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it
It's probably been 20 to 25 years since I last read a comic book (excuse me, graphic novel). My interest has been renewed with the latest slew of Marvel movies (Spider-Man, Avengers) and I finally took the plunge and checked out what my local library had to offer (I'm too cheap to buy something new; gotta try it for free first).

Anyway, I really enjoyed this. I read it through in a few hours, during the 9/10 Monday Night Football game. Great story, a lot of fun to read, really good art. Blasted m
David
Apr 11, 2013 David rated it liked it
This is an interesting graphic novel, but using a typical Marvel setup-- where heroes fight each other due to some grave misunderstanding. Therefore, the Invaders fight the Avengers when they are transported in time to modern day New York. Along the way, there is a number of time warps and time paradoxes that cause consternation.

I enjoyed this one, but was, sadly, unaware that Captain America (Steve Rogers) has died!

Timothy Boyd
Feb 06, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
A very good team up story, with heroes from different ages. Above average art and plot. Very recommended
Jason
Jul 22, 2012 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ace love the fact the 40`s invaders cant compare nazism to mondern day america. cool artwork too and good characteristaionfor a short series. ...more
Mf
Jan 14, 2012 Mf rated it really liked it
I loved the guilt hitting Stark
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
aisha s.
aisha s. is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2016
Tiffanie
Tiffanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Noelle
Noelle rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 4
  • The Uncanny X-Men Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Journey into Mystery, Vol. 1: Stronger Than Monsters
  • Captain America: Reborn
  • Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • Walt and Skeezix, Vol. 1: 1921-1922