Start by marking “The Tomb of Tutankamen” as Want to Read:
The Tomb of Tutankamen

The Tomb of Tutankamen

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  20 reviews

Introduction by Anthony Brandt.

“Feverishly we cleared away...the passage before the doorway, until we had only the clean sealed doorway before us.... We made a tiny breach in the top left hand corner to see what was beyond.

There was naturally short suspense for those present who could not see, when Lord Carnarvon said to me `Can you see anything,' I replied to him `Yes,

Published April 1st 2003 by National Geographic Society (first published June 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Tomb of Tutankamen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tomb of Tutankamen

Lisa
Howard Carter, famed archaeologist, discovered the Tomb of Tutankhamun (King Tut) in 1922 and wrote about the discovery expedition in this work. The discovery of King Tut's tomb was, and continues to be, sensationalized because the tomb was almost entirely intact. Only one set of grave robbers disturbed the tomb, and apparently made off with very few artifacts.

Mr. Carter wrote these chapters at the time of his excavation of the tomb, so it is all written in present tense, and it's easy for the r
Heidi
What an amazing book! This was a delight from start to finish...step by step through the discovery and preservation of the tomb. Howard Carter has a very engaging "voice" and you feel that you are discussing it over coffee with a learned friend. The wealth of detail in the artifacts, the preservation techniques used, the excitement of seeing a room that had not been entered for many centuries, the dificulties encountered in the long process of clearing the tomb are all described in detail. Highl ...more
Damselindistress
For the moment, time as a factor in human life has lost its meaning. Three thousand, four thousand years maybe, have passed and gone since human feet last trod the floor on which you stand, and yet, as you note the signs of recent life around you – the half-filled bowl of mortar for the door, the blackened lamp, the finger-mark upon the freshly painted surface, the farewell garland dropped upon the threshold – you feel it might have been but yesterday.
Xarah
Jan 06, 2009 Xarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mom
Shelves: egyptology, own
I found this book, written by the man who excavated the tomb itself, extremely approachable and very exciting. Throughout reading it, I yearned to be there discovering the magnificence of the tomb. These were the days of archaeology!
Georgene
I was very excited when I found this book in a used book store. I'm very surprised I had never run across it before. This was my first non-fiction book of 2014.
Geraldine
I've had this book for decades and finally opened it up to find the brochure I got when I attended the showing of Treasurers of Tutankhamen at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art in the spring of 1978. Although my sons were only five and seven years old, they remember the beauty of the gold mask that covered the pharaoh's head in his coffin. It was in an area all by itself, the room was black and only a light shone on the actual solid gold mask. A wonderful remembrance.

This book is marvelous.
Tony
THE TOMB OF TUTANKHAMEN. (1923-1033). Howard Carter. ****.
This is essentially Carter’s journal of his excavation work in the Valley of the Kings that led to his discovery of Tut’s tomb. After the discovery – described in about the first third of the book – the rest of the text deals with the artifacts uncovered and the great efforts required to recover them from the ravages of time. There is a lot of detail here that can get the reader bogged down, but were of great interest at the time. Carter,
James Reyes
In this book, Howard Carter chronicles his first hand experience during his multi-year excavation of one of the greatest archeological finds in history, the tomb of Tutankhamun in the Valley of the Kings, Egypt. What makes this book such a joy to read is the emotion Carter conveys. It draws you into the sheer excitement and wonderment of discovery, making this book difficult to put down.

Although modern archeological practice would take exception with the techniques used by Carter, especially th
Tracey
The book that I saw on the shelves of my school library when I was in the 3rd grade, and was told I could not check it out because I was not old enough. The book that my parents took me to the public library to check out. The book I read (yes, my reading skills were up to it) that stoked my budding interest in history, archaeology, and Egypt. The book I recalled with tears in my eyes 25 years later when I stood in the Cairo Museum in *behind* the golden throne, and saw what I could not see in th ...more
Lance
I am actually reading the 3 volume set by Howard Carter, the man who discovered Kit Tut's tomb in November 1922, and I just finished volume 1. Goodreads does not list the 3 volume set.

It is a fascinating book to read the first hand account from the discoverer himself, when the tomb is discovered and opened again after 3,000 years. The first pictures of the antechamber artifacts and other rooms is mesmerizing.
Les Wilson
A really enjoyable book, but I had to have a break from it from time to time, but it's my age not the book.
Meghanpotts
I wish there were half stars. This was good and really interesting, although a lot of the historical facts he discusses are now incorrect (for example, he says that Akhenaten is not Tutankhamen's father, and we have just discovered that he was). This makes it a little confusing at times, but for an archaeologist, he writes fairly well, and it's certainly very interesting.
Maya
a must read for anyone passionate or even interested about egyptology. originally published as separate volumes, condensed in this edition by the National Geographic Society. The book transports you to the middle of the egyptian desert and carries you step by step to the greatest discovery in egyptology, the events that led to it and all the conservation efforts that followed.
Mark
A great read. It's easy to want put yourself in the story, wishing you were there in the crowded antechamber as they broke the final seals to the royal chamber. I only wish there were more photographs of the site and objects, but in all, a great read about one of the greatest and fascinating archeological discoveries ever.
John
Really interesting book about the finding and opening of Tut's tomb. Detailed analysis of the contents. I liked it!
Meghan Hasselberg-Reitz
Awesome read. Loved seeing the finds when the tour came to the Field Museum here in Chicago!
Nyx
Read first book and parts of second and third. Originally published 1923, 1927, and 1933
David
I went to Egypt then read this book. Very enjoyable and shed light on the curse.
Sonia
Jan 12, 2010 Sonia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sonia by: Sarah
Recommended by Sarah. A lot more detailed than the layman needs.
Susan
I loved this adventure from start to finish.
Zoe Wong
Zoe Wong marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Ali Raza
Ali Raza is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Lede Lannister
Lede Lannister is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2014
Kelley Volk
Kelley Volk marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
  • Daughters of Isis: Women of Ancient Egypt
  • The Rise and Fall of Alexandria: Birthplace of the Modern Mind
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
  • Egyptian Grammar
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • A History of Ancient Egypt
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power
  • Temples, Tombs & Hieroglyphs: A Popular History of Ancient Egypt
  • The Ancient Engineers
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
202032
Howard Carter is best known for his discovery of the tomb of the 14th century BCE Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun.

Carter was an English archaeologist and Egyptologist who devoted his life to archaeology. He first travelled to Egypt in 1891, where he held several archaeological positions, until in 1907 he was privately funded by the English aristocrat Lord Canarvon to carry out work at Canarvon's exc
More about Howard Carter...
The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen Questions and Answers on Spiritual Gifts Tutankhamen's Treasure The Tomb of Tut.ankh.Amen: Vol. 3 Annexe and Treasury The Tomb of Tut.ankh.Amun

“...as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist, strange animals, statues, and gold - everywhere the glint of gold. For the moment - an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by - I was struck dumb with amazement, and when Lord Carnarvon, unable to stand the suspense any longer, inquired anxiously, 'Can you see anything?' it was all I could do to get out the words, 'Yes, wonderful things.” 16 likes