Start by marking “The Hope Valley Hubcap King” as Want to Read:
The Hope Valley Hubcap King

The Hope Valley Hubcap King

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Time, The Universe, And America...

In a country a lot like our own, in a time a little bit like now, Bibi Brown is an ordinary young man with an extraordinary destiny. Bibi, the first male in twelve generations of Browns not to have taken his own life, has a furious crush on a beautiful nine-fingered woman and an unbearable urge to understand the meaning of Time, the Univer
Published February 3rd 2004 by Delta (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Hope Valley Hubcap King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hope Valley Hubcap King

Lauren
Absolutely loved this book. It was full of craziness, uncertainty, fear, love, journeys, and so much more. As soon as I finished reading it, I sent it to my dad who also loved it. Looking very much forward to reading more of Sean's work.
Izzy
I hope I am not expected to understand this book because boy was I lost. This is the kind of book that reachest the deepest pit of my non-existence intelligence. For this book asked me to ponder together with Bibi the meaning of life and all and how to live and strive into nothingness. I'll definitely read this book once I'm wiser and old and when I have lots of time to kill about.

That's where I go wrong didn't I for I think time is solely to kill about abd that I have lots of them.

Forgive any s
Riana
Bibi Brown is the heir to a 12-generation-old tradition to commit suicide. However, after discovering that his Uncle Otto had been victorious in resisting this fatal habit, he sets out into the unknown to find this rumoured Hubcap King.

If the whole plot had continued in the same manner as the first 120 pages I probably would’ve given this book 5 stars. I loved the way the author blended together hints of “Into the Wild,” “Spy Kids” and “Alice in Wonderland.” A great balance of action and philos
Christine
Feb 28, 2008 Christine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance readers who want something light to read
Murphy has great imagery throughout the book; his characters are detailed and interesting. But it's almost like he tries too hard to be edgy and post-modern. It's a fun read and the ideas are interesting, but these ideas have all been explored before. I just don't think he brought anything new to the table.
Ivy
Honestly, I found this book just barely okay. Mostly I found it self-indulgent and irritating, with symbolism so labored and ham-fisted it was like a fifteen-year-old's attempt at spiritual profundity. Maybe I'm being too harsh, but that was my sincere reaction.
Gauri Bhatnagar
This is one book which has to be read at various times of your life....to do full justice...it is funny, it is profound...there's irony, bewilderment, sadness...all there..in one beautiful journey.
Jeffery

a book that takes enlightenment to new and eclectic heights. a book about the obsession of deformity and the search for the meaning of life: based in a distorted version of the world we know.
Barbara Domue
for all you philosophers out there....please read this instead of Sophie's World!!
Carolyn Young
I absolutely loved this book. It is seriously one of my all time favorites. I found myself laughing out loud more than I ever have while reading. It is hysterically funny, and yet profoundly wise.
Tammy
I'm not sure what I learned. I know this is one of Jade's favorite books, but I think it was just over my head.
Mandy
May 25, 2009 Mandy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nick Shaw
Shelves: existential, satire
Entertaining and poignant. Despite it's comedic tone for the better part of the novel, it made me think.
Erick
Very strange and surreal book.

Zen.

The kind of book you sit and ponder after you are done.
Stephen rubin
sean is a good new mexcian and great writer
unique and funny
Tania
Full disclosure: I'm married to the author
Tania
Full disclosure: I'm married to the author
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Zaru
Zaru marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Thomas Drake
Thomas Drake marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Dyscover
Dyscover marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
John Paul
John Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Toni Rosetto
Toni Rosetto marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
199727
SEAN MURPHY'S debut novel, The Hope Valley Hubcap King, (Bantam/Dell, 2002/2004), won the Hemingway Award for a First Novel and was a 2003 Book Sense pick. See info on his latest, The Time of New Weather, below. He is also the author of the Pulitzer-nominated The Finished Man (Bantam/Dell 2004), as well as One Bird, One Stone (Renaissance/St. Martins 2002), a nonfiction chronicle of Zen practice i ...more
More about Sean Murphy...
One Bird, One Stone: 108 Contemporary Zen Stories The Time of New Weather The Finished Man Please Talk about Me When I'm Gone: A Memoir for My Mother Punk Rock Jesus Deluxe Edition