Start by marking “Over the Rainbow” as Want to Read:

Over the Rainbow

Take a magical journey OVER THE RAINBOW  When all the world is a hopeless jumble and the raindrops tumble all around, Heaven opens a magic lane. When all the clouds darken up the skyway, there's a rainbow highway to be found, Leading from your window pane to a place behind the sun, just a step beyond the rain.

You may not immediately recognize these words...but you definit
Published March 1st 2010 by Imagine/Peter Yarrow (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Over the Rainbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Rainbow

Clare Cannon
May 03, 2011 Clare Cannon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 4-12 years
Shelves: 04-8yrs, favorites
A beautifully illustrated version of the famous song that captures both the whimsical delight of childhood and the poignant beauty of hope that can see beyond hard times.
Kira Richardson
May 03, 2010 Kira Richardson rated it it was ok
Unique illustrations. The book also comes with a CD with Judy Collins singing the song Over the Rainbow!
Mary
Aug 28, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
The paintings are very beautiful, surreal but in a magical, innocent way. My daughter especially loves the accompanying music CD.
Bridget
Oct 05, 2011 Bridget rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-music
Beautiful, fanciful illustrations to the song lyrics of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow".
Samantha Zapata
Sep 22, 2016 Samantha Zapata rated it it was amazing
This book was short, but the paintings were marvelous!!! The story shows the world gray and rainy, but heaven opens a magic lane. It shows a rainbow highway and the little girl running on it to go see heaven! There is rhyming in this story which makes this story come to life. The illustrations are beautiful and well detailed. There is something going on each page. I liked how the clouds an the stars had faces. Just something you don't see often.

*It comes with a CD that has 3 songs on it that go
Elizabeth
Tags: picture, print, song

Summary
This book brings illustration to a classic song. The book comes along with a CD of the song and you can follow along in the book. The illustrations are vibrant and beautiful.

Response
I really love the illustrations in this book. I have always liked this song and was so excited when I found this. I rate this book with 5 stars. It presents all six qualities needed for an outstanding book according to Temple, Martinez, and Yokota (TMY, 2010, p. 9).
Robert Beveridge
Judy Collins, Over the Rainbow (Peter Yarrow, 2010)

Over the Rainbow, as the entire text of the book is the song lyrics, is not really an “author” book. As such, I am only listing it under Judy Collins' name as a matter of review convention; any review of this book worth its salt is going to spend the bulk of its time focusing on Eric Puybaret's illustrations. After all, you know if you like the words or not as long as you've seen The Wizard of Oz, though the book does contain a first verse that
Lisa
Nov 12, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully illustrated rendition of the song "Over the Rainbow", with a CD featuring Judy Collins singing that song and two others ("White Coral Bells" and "I See the Moon"). The illustrations are quite magical and fanciful, with elongated figures and inanimate objects with expressive faces (clouds, flowers, planets, etc.). The illustrations show a girl who travels over the rainbow to find castles in the clouds and play among moons, planets and stars. Bluebirds accompany her back to h ...more
Jeff
Dec 04, 2012 Jeff rated it it was amazing
We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this book. It is absolutely one of the most whimsical and beautifully illustrated books I've ever purchased. We bought this for our daughter earlier this year and she asks me to read it to her all the time. The truth is, I adore it as much as she does. The recorded version that comes with the book is not up to par with Judy Garland by any means, but my daughter has nothing else to compare it to and LOVES it. This is one she will probably never forget and want to hang on to fo ...more
Claire Macugay
Dec 04, 2011 Claire Macugay rated it liked it
This is a book that recreates the classic song "Over the Rainbow" that we all know and love from The Wizard of Oz in the form of a book. I think it is a great way to show kids that they can express themselves through forms of art and music. I believe these "extra" subjects are just as significant as academics itself. Anyhow, this book is complete with beautiful illustrations to represent the song, as well as a CD recording of the song itself.
Mohammad
Sep 22, 2014 Mohammad rated it liked it
This book is more enjoyable if you sing the song rather than reading the lyrics! Children who read the lines as it is can't link it to the pictures and found the book boring. However, when you sing it, they love it a lot more and will join in for the fun. It is amazing to see how some lyrics makes sense for even small children when you sing it to them rather than just reading it to them.

Erica Tucker
Apr 26, 2010 Erica Tucker rated it really liked it
What great illustrations this book has! This is an excellent book to get children thinking about how rainbows are formed, the colors of a rainbow, and how light and rain effect a rainbow's existence.
A
Mar 14, 2016 A rated it really liked it
Beautiful picture book, illustrated to compliment the lyrics of the Wizard of Oz' Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Large and colorful, very appealing. I haven't heard the music yet, but it includes the original score, but not by Judy Garland, plus 2 more tracks.
Liliana
Apr 21, 2010 Liliana rated it it was amazing
This is a great story based on a song. This book contains excellent illustrations that make you feel like you are living the fairy tale life. This book can be used as a hook to teach about rainbows/ light for a science unit.
Karen
Dec 21, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
We checked this book out of the library, so we didn't listen to the CD. Instead, I just sang the text to my six-year-old son.

Even so, I am giving this book five stars based on the magical, beautiful, dreamlike illustrations alone.
Brittney Peay
Jul 19, 2015 Brittney Peay rated it it was amazing
As I read this story, I only thought of the wizard of oz because the book is basically just adding pictures to the song. Given that the song is amazing, the book isn't half bad. i think it opens up our minds to imagination and reminds us that at the end of every storm there is a rainbow.
Alexandria Hiam
Miriam Garcia
Apr 22, 2010 Miriam Garcia rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, imagination
This book which can also be sung is a great way to introduse the topic of rainbows and light to your classroom. The illustrations are vivid and children will love to follow along.
Angel
Jan 31, 2012 Angel rated it it was amazing
Another one of my favorite childrens books. It uses the lyrics to the song paired with beautiful illustrations!
Claudia
May 05, 2010 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
I ran across this book at a B&N in California. . . I am absolutely in LOVE with this book. The words are beautiful and the illustrations leave me breathless.

I can't wait to buy this one.
Patricia
Jun 26, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it
The only thing I found lacking for this book was the discs that go along with this book were not provided by the library so we could not hear the music as we read along.
Elizabeth
Mar 13, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Takes the chorus of the famous song and puts illustrations with it. Also includes a CD that has the song and a recording of the story
sara harbert
sara harbert rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
Iverkoz
Iverkoz rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Corey
Jan 22, 2015 Corey rated it it was amazing
Read/sang this with Kindergarten to talk about soft singing - love the dreamlike illustrations.
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2016
Jess Gill
Jess Gill rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2011
Alma Loredo
Dec 06, 2010 Alma Loredo rated it liked it
Shelves: weather
This is a book that has been created from an actual song.
Robin Ramsey
  • A Mama for Owen
  • A Quiet Place
  • Sipping Spiders Through A Straw: Campfire Songs For Monsters
  • Lucia and the Light
Judith Marjorie Collins is an American folk and standards singer and songwriter, known for the stunning purity of her soprano; for her eclectic tastes in the material she records (which has included folk, showtunes, pop, and rock and roll); and for her social activism.
More about Judy Collins...