Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People

Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were: Creatures, Places, and People

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  421 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A doorway into the world of imagination for fantasy lovers of all ages!

This is a book that lets your mind float free through all the dimensions of fantasy and shows you that everyone, since the dawn of time, has travelled the same pathways through the worlds of mystery and imagination.

It is one of the greatest assemblies of new words and original pictures ever to explore t...more
Published 1985 by Book Club Associates

Joe
Mar 25, 2008 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people fanatically obsessed with categorzing mythology and folklore
I can't quite describe my love for this book. It's wonderfully researched, lovingly illustrated, and I've referenced it many a time for that obscure branch of folklore that I can't quite find the term for. Plus, there's a lot here concerning imaginary lands I'd never heard of, but would love to visit.
Sally
398.356 Pag Oversize

Wow, an encyclopedia of not only magical, but mythical creatures as well. Roman, Greek, Norse, witches, fairies, Native American. Great fun, especially for myth-ignoramuses like me.
Gareth Pengelly
'There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true... You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic want or Aladdin's lamp; only your own imagination and curiosity... about things that never were.'

I've got a huge beast of a hardback edition of this book, gifted me by my grandfather in the early nineties. He'd rescued it out of a bin at the university where he worked.

I haven't a clue why someone would chuck this thing o...more
Brian
I fell in love with this in high school. Everything from Odin to Moby Dick. Could have used a little less Gulliver, and maybe a mention of Lovecraft.
Kara

A true overview of ALL fictions – you will see gods, heavens, hells, heroes, and magics from cultures all around the world, from Aztecs to Zulus and everyone in between, which makes for a very refreshing change from the usual mythology collections which tend to just talk about Zeus and Oberon.

I also enjoyed the style of writing, a mock scholarly approach that treats all of the entries as real people and places, describing Lilliputians and the Dreamtime with as much gravitas as the usual Encyclop...more
El Templo de las Mil Puertas
"Hay un mundo a la vuelta de la esquina de tu mente, donde la realidad es un intruso y los sueños de hacen realidad… Puedes escaparte a él a voluntad. No necesitas contraseña secreta, varita mágica ni lámpara de Aladdino; sólo hace falta imaginación y curiosidad por las cosas que nunca existieron. Esta frase, que se reparte entre la contraportada del libro y la primera página, es un resumen perfecto de lo que nos podemos encontrar en La Enciclopedia de las cosas que nunca existieron. Abrir ese l...more
Valis_9
This book is what I class as a 'gem' in the book world. I define a book
'gem' is one that you can reread many times, waste of hours of the day admiring, and one that is kept for years on years through childhood to adulthood because of sentimental value. As I would never part with this book,for a number of reasons.

1) It has a comprehensive and varied number of entries.
2) The Illustrations beautifully accompany the entries, and are both imaginative and detailed.
3) It is a source of inspiration,...more
Nomad
This was hands down my favorite library book when I was younger. I would sit in William Hall library in the back stacks and lounge in a windowsill with this book. It was the best, pure escapism that my teenage self could have asked for. I can remember this book so clearly that I can remember what it felt like in my hands. It's almost emotional how attached I am to the memory of it.

I left Rhode Island a long time ago and have lived in Southern California for 15 years. But who I am and how I was s...more
Jamie
My mother bought me this book quite a while ago and I cannot count the number of times I have read it. Even before that, I would go to the library, take this book off the shelf and sit at the table to look at it and read it for hours. I have always loved mythology, cryptozoology and folklore so this book is an absolute favorite. Not only are the descriptions and stories about the various "things that never were" amazingly detailed and interesting but the art that accompanies each entry is fantas...more
Sean
forgot I had this-brilliant
Laura Bang
An encyclopedia including people, places, and things that never existed outside of mythology and fantasy. Besides having all kinds of intriguing and fascinating entries (Valkyries? Check. Wonderland? Yep. The River from The Wind in the Willows? Yes. And so many more it makes your head spin with geeky glee!), it is also fabulously illustrated. It's so easy to get lost in the pages!
Stacy
This book is awesome. So awesome that I have a copy on it's way from Amazon because I want to leaf through it randomly for years and years. Did you know that weasels are not susceptible to basilisks? I didn't but it added another level to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. All around a fascinating book with amazing research into things that don't actually exist.
John Orman
Dreams come true here--the World of Fantasy!

Creatures, Places, and People are covered in this richly illustrated book.

From ancient myths, African and Native American tales, through modern oddities like Bigfoot and Chupacabra, it's all in this big book.

Some items are wondrous, some are mighty scary.

Enjoy either way!
Krys
Good reference book with beautiful illustrations.

Thought this was going to be mythology only, but there are entries for more "recent" literature.
There did seem to be an unusual amount of space dedicated to entries relating to Gulliver's Travels, though.
Michelle
Also a book a stumbled across at a bookstore and had to have. Amazing pictures, very complete mass of stories and info regarding all things imaginary and "real". Not really something you read cover to cover but very fun to own.
Sergio
I read this book in middle school, wrote an essay about it, but I used to check this book out regularly until I left the school and years later, I found an original edition of the same one I read in middle school.
Valeria Moskvin
Simplemente hermoso. Desde las historias hasta las ilustraciones, el libro tiene ese espíritu que te hace no solo creer si no también buscar la manera de preservarlas contándoselas a los que quieran escucharlas.
Neil Tellado
i have not read the whole thing but it is a guide to the realm of mythology, fantasy, fairy tales, and even religion. Amazing art work makes it fun just to flip through and just look at pictures.
Meg
I grew up with this book. A dream of a book for anyone with a curiosity for good stories from all cultures. Legends, dreams and monsters complete with gorgeous illustrations....
Eric
Great book I've loved since childhood. I've spent many an hour sifting through it's pages wondering what it'd be like to meet these creatures and go to these lands.
Sara Lee
Such great fun! This helped a lot when it came to my english classes whenever mythological creatures crept into the conversation. A great addition to any library.
Tommy
Got this ages ago and just saw that Colin Tate had marked it as to read. Not something I read, more a coffee table book, but glorious nontheless.
Greg
I remember reading the review and wanting this. A point of bonding with my wife, the only other person I know with a well-beloved copy.
Delaney Miles
Without this book, it would have taken me several more years to find out how much of a whore Zeus was. Also: Good illustrations.
Morgan Summerfield
I thumb though this book of impossibilities whenever I need to refocus or generate ideas for my writing.
Elentarri
Excellent reference book on all sorts of "things that never where", with nice illustrations.
Russianwitch
All mythical things in a bunch what more could anyone want? And a great reference work
Patricia
It's really an awesome book,I passed a project with a perfect grade thanks to that book.
Iain Watson
Encyclopedia of Things That Never Were by Robert Ingpen (1987)
Kalyn
I've always loved this book, it can keep me occupied for ages.
  • The Dictionary of Imaginary Places: The Newly Updated and Expanded Classic
  • Encyclopedia of Fairies: Hobgoblins, Brownies, Bogies, & Other Supernatural Creatures
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves and Other Little People
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2, 500 Deities of the World
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantasy
  • A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)
  • A Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels
  • The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits
  • Cryptozoology A to Z: The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras & Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature
  • Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods & Goddesses
  • The Mythical Creatures Bible: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Mythical Creatures
  • The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales
  • The Fairy Bible: The Definitive Guide to the World of Fairies
  • Magical Beasts (The Enchanted World Series)
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • The Secret Commonwealth: An Essay of the Nature and Actions of the Subterranean (and, for the Most Part) Invisible People, Heretofore Going under the Name of Elves, Fauns, and Fairies
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
see also Michael F. Page.

Michael Fitzgerald Page has lived in Australia since 1953. He has written many books on the development of Australia and South Australia, and histories of some Australian institutions - Adelaide Steamship Company, Royal Flying Doctor Service and South Australian fire services. To show his versatility he has also written eight novels, as well as books on architecture, fanta...more
More about Michael Page...
Out of This World: The Complete Book of Fantasy My Anastasia Faszinierende Welt der Phantasie The Great Bullocky Race Fitted For The Voyage