Start by marking “Border Crosser: One Gringo's Illicit Passage from Mexico into America” as Want to Read:
Border Crosser: One Gringo's Illicit Passage from Mexico into America

Border Crosser: One Gringo's Illicit Passage from Mexico into America

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Johnny Rico is back. After risking his life as an Afghanistan stop-loss soldier, an experience he described in the cult phenomenon Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green, he now dares to embed himself on both sides of America’s most dangerous domestic conflict–the war for and against illegal immigration–in an exhilarating new exercise in immersion journalism.

The gonzo author–par
Published June 23rd 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Border Crosser, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Border Crosser

Fred
I was disappointed with this book. It's more about the author's journey than the journey of the people of Mexico who are trying to reach America. There aren't many stories about the Mexicans here, there are more about the racist Minutemen groups who patrol the border and stop Mexicans from entering. Rico did try (in a half-assed way) to infiltrate a group of Mexicans entering the US but instead the book became about his obsession than the real story about the Mexicans. For me, this wasn't very i ...more
Shana
Johnny Rico’s Border Crosser is somewhat anti-climactic. The premise of this book is that Rico was going to attempt to cross the U.S./Mexico border, as well as visit various groups such as the Minutemen, Border Patrol, and open border activists. I figured that’d take a good chunk of the book but that the rest would focus on his journey from Mexico into the U.S. I was wrong. Rico tries over and over (and over) to find an “appropriate” place to cross, but always manages to find a reason not to. I ...more
John
John Rico writes a documentary that is a bit of a tease. He explores all the sides of the immigration issue. He lives with the Minutemen, rides with the Border Patrol and border police, and wants to make an illegal border crossing but never seems to make it. Some good characters are met along the way, but the border crossing never really happens and left me not sure if most of that angle was just BS.
Susan Chamberlain
Having grown up on the Mexican Border, I really wanted to love this book. But Johnny Rico needs to give up his delusion of being a gonzo journalist, a title that really only ever applied to the late Hunter Thompson. Told without that literary pretention, this would be an interesting narrative about those who cross the border illegally, how and why they do it, and how the people of the USA respond.
jenn
I couldn't finish this book. Johnny Rico presents himself as a liberal, but I found him to be just as racist and judgmental as the Minute Men he was following during the first parts of the story. His repeated insistence on using the term "illegal" was frustrating as well, and his portrait of the women who maintain the water tanks in the Arizona desert was condescending at best.
Scott
The author's goal in this book was to illegally cross the border from Mexico to the USA as a gringo. He met with vigilante border watchers, migrant sympathizers, and law enforcement. This was a good book that I would recommend to those, like me, who like books about the underbelly of America.
Ashley
first part was good but the middle was boring and he never even really crossed the border
Michelle Hembree
Michelle Hembree marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Will Hailey
Will Hailey marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Beatriz
Beatriz marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Lindy
Lindy marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Rene Cedillo
Rene Cedillo marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2013
Pat Meskers
Pat Meskers marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2012
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2012
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012
Rae
Rae marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2012
Tafena
Tafena marked it as to-read
May 01, 2012
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2012
Luis Sanchez
Luis Sanchez marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Blood Makes the Grass Grow Green: A Year in the Desert with Team America Border Crosser