If a Place Can Make You Cry If a Place Can Make You Cry If a Place Can Make You Cry

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In the summer of 1998, Daniel Gordis and his family moved to Israel from Los Angeles. They planned to be there for a year, during which time Daniel would be a Fellow at the Mandel Institute in Jerusalem. This wasa euphoric time in Israel. The economy was booming, and peace seemed virtually guaranteed. A few months into their stay, Gordis and his wife decided to remain in I...more
Published October 15th 2002 by Crown Publishing Group (NY) (first published 2002)

Miri
This book...hm. It was emotionally very difficult for me to read, especially since I'm Israeli myself. It's also difficult sometimes to make sense of the author's thoughts, since he wasn't intending to write a book and has simply compiled his emails with little or no editing.

If you already know a lot about Israeli history, this book will illuminate the human aspect of all those names, dates, and numbers of people killed. But if you don't, it will be very confusing, because Gordis often doesn't e...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A Jewish American family goes to
Israel for a yearlong visit and
decides to stay, just as Israeli
and Palestinian relations begin
to deteriorate. Will the family
stay? Should they stay? They
must; "it is our home."
Recommended.

Roxanne
My views on the conflict differ at times from Daniel Gordis' -- and that is perhaps why I so appreciated this book. His letters and observations capture the pulse of a place that is largely unpinnable. I thoroughly treasured his insights on Jerusalem, Israel, immigrant life in Israel and the conflict, as well as his observation of what a place making you cry can mean.
Eric O
One of my teachers (for three days) on JLI (Jewish Leadership Institute) in Israel. One of the most remarkable teachers, writers, storytellers and people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. This book did make me cry, and Gordis really makes you feel like you're living in Israel with him and his family.
Kearstin
Another book inspired by my trip to Israel. A great way to learn about the experience of an American immigrant to Israel. A thoughtful voice and an interesting format (series of letter home). A little bit forced at times. . .
Benjamin
A wonderful book that really provides the narrative context for any future later thoughts Gordis shares about the Middle East Conflict and living in Israel.
Elizabeth
Very interesting book to read on the eve of my latest trip to Israel. Why would someone want to move there...many answers in this book.
Marshaferz
I don't agree with Danny Gordis on everything, but his writing style is very evocative and I am always interested in what he has to say.
Heyden
Great explanation of the Jewish connection to Eretz Yisrael.
Elke
Heart breaking but beautiful like all Gordis books
Yael
Yael marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
James Musey
James Musey marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
TaniaRina
TaniaRina marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Shaina
Shaina added it
May 27, 2014
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
May 10, 2014
Conny
Conny marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Galina Vromen
Galina Vromen marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Adena
Adena marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Teddy
Teddy added it
Mar 29, 2014
Jing
Jing marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Saving Israel God Was Not in the Fire Coming Together, Coming Apart: A Memoir of Heartbreak and Promise in Israel The Promise of Israel: Why Its Seemingly Greatest Weakness Is Actually Its Greatest Strength Menachem Begin: The Battle for Israel's Soul