Start by marking “If a Place Can Make You Cry If a Place Can Make You Cry If a Place Can Make You Cry” as Want to Read:

In the summer of 1998, Daniel Gordis and his family moved to Israel from Los Angeles. They planned to be there for a year, during which time Daniel would be a Fellow at the Mandel Institute in Jerusalem. This wasa euphoric time in Israel. The economy was booming, and peace seemed virtually guaranteed. A few months into their stay, Gordis and his wife decided to remain in I ...more
Published October 15th 2002 by Crown Publishing Group (NY) (first published 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about If a Place Can Make You Cry If a Place Can Make You Cry If a Place Can Make You Cry

Miri
Jan 13, 2010 Miri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book...hm. It was emotionally very difficult for me to read, especially since I'm Israeli myself. It's also difficult sometimes to make sense of the author's thoughts, since he wasn't intending to write a book and has simply compiled his emails with little or no editing.

If you already know a lot about Israeli history, this book will illuminate the human aspect of all those names, dates, and numbers of people killed. But if you don't, it will be very confusing, because Gordis often doesn't e
Eric O
Sep 01, 2011 Eric O rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewish
One of my teachers (for three days) on JLI (Jewish Leadership Institute) in Israel. One of the most remarkable teachers, writers, storytellers and people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. This book did make me cry, and Gordis really makes you feel like you're living in Israel with him and his family.
Roxanne
Nov 04, 2010 Roxanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
My views on the conflict differ at times from Daniel Gordis' -- and that is perhaps why I so appreciated this book. His letters and observations capture the pulse of a place that is largely unpinnable. I thoroughly treasured his insights on Jerusalem, Israel, immigrant life in Israel and the conflict, as well as his observation of what a place making you cry can mean.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A Jewish American family goes to
Israel for a yearlong visit and
decides to stay, just as Israeli
and Palestinian relations begin
to deteriorate. Will the family
stay? Should they stay? They
must; "it is our home."
Recommended.

Kearstin
Jan 22, 2012 Kearstin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another book inspired by my trip to Israel. A great way to learn about the experience of an American immigrant to Israel. A thoughtful voice and an interesting format (series of letter home). A little bit forced at times. . .
Elizabeth
Very interesting book to read on the eve of my latest trip to Israel. Why would someone want to move there...many answers in this book.
Vivien Silber
Jul 19, 2012 Vivien Silber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely terrific!
Marshaferz
May 31, 2010 Marshaferz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't agree with Danny Gordis on everything, but his writing style is very evocative and I am always interested in what he has to say.
Foxglove
Jan 19, 2014 Foxglove rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart breaking but beautiful like all Gordis books
Benjamin
Aug 31, 2012 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book that really provides the narrative context for any future later thoughts Gordis shares about the Middle East Conflict and living in Israel.
Carol Feldman
I read this book right after it came out in 2002. It opened up the discussion in my family to make aliyah, which we did, a year later. Inspiring book.
Heyden
Apr 12, 2011 Heyden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great explanation of the Jewish connection to Eretz Yisrael.
Sarah rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2009
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Whit
Whit rated it really liked it
May 06, 2011
Eric Migicovsky
Eric Migicovsky rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Bigmissy6
Bigmissy6 rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2012
Avi Eisenman
Avi Eisenman rated it did not like it
Feb 26, 2017
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2009
David Carroll
David Carroll rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2009
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Loen
Loen rated it liked it
Oct 16, 2008
Elana Hoffman
Elana Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2008
Leora Eisenberg
Leora Eisenberg rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Nicola
Nicola rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2011
Tali
Tali rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2012
egellston
egellston rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Mishav Bookclub
Mishav Bookclub rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Triumph of Hope: From Theresienstadt and Auschwitz to Israel
  • The Israelis: Ordinary People in an Extraordinary Land (Updated in 2008)
  • Kasztner's Train: The True Story of Rezso Kaztner, Unknown Hero of the Holocaust
  • Golda
  • It's Easier To Reach Heaven Than The End Of The Street: A Jerusalem Memoir
  • Jewish Humor: What the Best Jewish Jokes Say About the Jews
  • Every Spy a Prince: The Complete History of Israel's Intelligence Community
  • Isaac's Torah
  • The Girl from Foreign: A Search for Shipwrecked Ancestors, Forgotten Histories, and a Sense of Home
  • Villa Air-Bel: World War II, Escape, and a House in Marseille