Start by marking “In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)” as Want to Read:
In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)

In This Mountain (Mitford Years #7)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  9,510 ratings  ·  214 reviews
The seventh novel of Karon's beloved series is now available in paperback. Father Tim and Cynthia are back home in Mitford, where they find change in the air: a haircut price war that takes no prisoners and a risky new menu item at the Grill.
Published September 27th 2005 by Penguin Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about In This Mountain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In This Mountain

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePride and Prejudice by Jane AustenAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryEmpire Falls by Richard RussoFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Books about Small Towns
82nd out of 165 books — 59 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienJ.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienOutlander by Diana GabaldonPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Re-readable For Ever
51st out of 63 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
I found myself reading this book a little bit slower than the others. Often because I know the Scripture the author is quoting, I sort of rush through it. This time I took the time to read it fully, more slowly, and grab the context of how it fits within the situation in the story.

Maybe because I read this one a little more slowly, I found that I enjoyed this book more than some of the others. I like how things are going for Father Tim, for Dooley, for Cynthia, for Hope, for George. I'm not sure
Bill
I had started reading Jan Karon's Mitford Series on her eighth and ninth releases ("Shepherds Abiding" and "Light From Heaven"), not realizing at the time it was a series. I loved the entire series and began reading the others in order. Problem was, I had several unanswered questions from the two books I listed. This was the last one in the series that I had not read and it tied all of the unanswered questions together.

I believe Jan Karon is a brilliant writer with a true understanding of peopl
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm not going to rate this book...I'll explain why.

I noted in an earlier review that many consider these "women's books". I questioned what makes a book a "woman's book"? Then I found A Common Life: The Wedding Story, the wedding book and I couldn't take it. So I guess I may have gotten my answer though some may not agree. To me that book was so totally an emotional story it seemed estrogen soaked. I put it aside and didn't try to rate or review it. I figured, "hey I get it, some people just wan
Gretchen
Whenever my life gets too busy, I'm drawn to simple books. Not simple in terms of writing - bodice rippers are for cold winter nights - but simple in terms of plot. This summer, Mitford has been a great source of comfort.

In this installment, Father Tim is dealing with life after retirment, and finding it not exactly to his liking. While some of the conflict in this novel is a little too black-and-white to my liking, I really appreciated seeing how several characters were approaching faith. and
Julie
I have enjoyed all 6 of the previous Mitford books but this one is my favorite for so many reasons. There were too many wonderful messages & lessons to share them all but all basically saying "count your blessings", "stop and smell the roses", "listen that you may hear"...

-The joy of receiving a brief phone call from your grown child sharing a momentous event
-Why does it take an accident or illness to slow us down enough to appreciate the people, places & events around us?
-The love and c
Bonnie
I love my visits to Mitford.

Fr. Tim hits a particular dark time in relation to his diabetes regimen. We all do it in our own way - I feel fine and don't want to be tied down to things I "Have To Do" in order to live. Freedom from specific diets, freedom from specific exercise regimens or a day without meds that in themselves may cause problems. Then we go on that eating binge, stop exercising for a while or make up our own meds schedule without the Dr's official okey dokey and the darkness lurk
Joy Gerbode
Although I love this entire series, this is the BEST. I LOVE the Father's message on giving thanks, and want to commit the entire message to memory so I can remind myself daily. I have also been further encouraged to take care of my own diabetes due to Father Tim's struggle with the dreaded disease. This is absolutely a wonderful book of inspiration, both spiritually, and healthwise.
Janice
I last visited Mitford over seven years ago. The truth be told, I thought I had completed the series with A New Song, Father Tim's retirement and interm on the isle of Whitecap. It was a pleasant surprise to discover I had missed more adventures with my old friends.

Well, seven years is a long time to be apart. People change. Was it me? Had my tastes changed? Or was it Ms. Karon's writing? I found I had to push myself to get through the first third of the book. Then, for whatever reason, perhaps
Carolyn
I loved this book in the Mitford series and how Karon dealt with retirement, love, and depression. I love how she develops each of the characters. Each little story line has been so endearing. One of my favorites in the series.
Two things I wish: that Lace Turner Harper could have been given a slower transformation. Her before and after was the least believable. Someone like her would have had more baggage and more rough edges.
Second, although Cynthia is busy with book writing and touring in thi
Kris
Jan 17, 2015 Kris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own-it
I'm marking this down one star, for two items, which I will get to in a moment. First of all, let me say that I really love the Mitford series, as a whole. It is comfort reading of the best kind: likable characters, problems that are usually solved satisfactorily, and an overall feeling of goodwill, which pervades the whole series. I love the relationship between Cynthia and Father Tim, and I really enjoy how faith is simply a part of these people's lives. These are characters you will enjoy spe ...more
Cindy Macbeth
This is the seventh book in the Mitford Years series.
Loved this book just as much as the first 6 books.
The book is centered around Father Tim the now retired
Pastor and the town of Mitford.
Shows all the ups and downs of life and the wonderful
quirky people that are Father Tim's friends and family.
Elaine Mulligan
** received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads **

I became a Mitford, North Carolina "the little town with the big heart" addict 20 years ago and can't wait to get my hands on the 10th in the series. #7 in the series is titled IN THIS MOUNTAIN and begins 3 years after the end of book #6. Father Tim is turning 70 and none too pleased by it (the diabetic blackouts would make be a bit negative too). The whole series is consistent in packing an emotional punch or a laugh out loud moment.
Cindy
Aug 18, 2010 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: k-l-m
A wonderful book just like her others! It makes you feel like you live with the characters.
Lynne Ward
I continue to really like this series. Down to earth, a renewal of faith, a quiet reflection.
Deb
slightly new setting; a good mixture of old & new characters; still wonderful comfort & inspiration
Dee
Elaine
AUDIO FORMAT

Father Tim is back home in Mitford! I've been looking forward to catching up with the town folk there, however Father Tim is restless and planning an interim stay to serve in Tennessee. He's still looking for Dooley's missing siblings, Sam and Kenny, and invokes the help of Emma Newland who is now using a laptop computer and trying to convince Father Tim to purchase one for himself. He's thinking that if they locate Dooley's father, he might have an idea where his siblings are. Doole
Melinda
This volume, I think, would really appeal to someone who has experienced a lingering health trial or to someone who has supported a loved one endure an unexpected change in health. I loved how this work showcased the little miracles that occur in our lives, so much more often than we give them credit or fail to recognize them. This book points them out and celebrates the peace and solace that they bring.
Even after finishing seven books in the series, I appreciated that there is always more to l
Sue
This is the seventh novel in Jan Karon's 'Mitford' series about the Episcopal priest, Father Tim. Set in a small village in a mountain in the south of the USA, it's a delightful series with cleverly drawn characters, light humour, and some moving moments too.

This book takes place more than a year after the previous one. Tim is now well-established as a retired priest, and his wife Cynthia continues to write successful children's books although she keeps intending to stop. They have been trying t
Joyce Lagow

Seventh in the Father Tim Kavanaugh of Mitford, NC series.

Father Tim, in his usual role of Saving the World, has too much to do, he thinks, to worry much about keeping to his diebetic diet. Plus he’s resentful of the disease, that prevents him from eating the food he wants. So, he goes on an eating binge; the results are somber, as in a diabetic crisis, he blacks out at the wheel of his car, and a tragic accident occurs. Obsessed with what he feels is his responsibility AND with what the townspe
Mary
Something about Karon's Mitford and her characters make her books something better than genre fiction. I'm re-reading the series, and not until now have I realized how central Christianity is to the series.

I think it's because they're novels first and polemics second. Karon's a strong writer, and her characters come to life for me.

Partly that's because they're among the few characters I encounter in fiction who are anything like myself and the people I know. The books are, essentially, about n
Kyle
There have only been a couple of previous series that I have continued to read back to back. Mitford series is one of those. Once again, I was taken into the comings and goings of Mitford, Father Tim and all the other characters, with delight, suspense, and all the rest. So enjoyable and so rich.

Because of my three hour daily commute, I am always looking for a good book to listen to. This series has not disappointed me at all. With all the hustle and bustle, demands of life, work, the tragic new
Carol
Kudos to John McDonough, whose narration of the Mitford books is superb. Although I've read all of the Mitford books, I'm enjoying listening to them read by McDonough. It is like the joy of wearing your favorite sweater when the weather gets crisp.

I'm finding some of Fr. Tim's phrases infiltrating my thoughts: "Consider it done." "Thanks be to God." "I will pray. Faithfully." The literary references and quotes are also highlights.
Mom2nine
I find it difficult to review Jan Karon, besides to say that she is always consistent, even though she has written a fairly large number of novels. These are comfort books, kind of like going home and putting on your favorite slippers. They remind me a bit of the old Mayberry shows, where everyone tries to get along with each other. Father Tim has a real heart for his people, always a joy. Thank you goodreads, book won in contest.
Sharon
The Man in the Attic returns to Mitford, and Father Tim helps him find a job.
Much remains the same in Mitford, yet there are changes as always. Fr. Tim has more episodes with his diabetes, encourages Cynthia to go to New York (taking Dooley) to receive her award for her Violet books), Dooley's brother Sammy is found--but won't leave his alcoholic, abusive father.
And life goes on.
Joleen
Jan Karon is a jewel among authors. I'm so glad a friend of mine introduced me to her writing. Her books are among my favorite books of all time. This one is no exception.
I love Father Tim and all the residents of this little town of Mitford.
Book after book bring delights to a reader.
Would I recommend it?
Absolutely!
And every one of the books within the Father Tim series.
Kelly
I'm going to write the same thing for the entire series. It's a syrupy sweet old fashioned read which does not demand anything of the reader. Many find the series feel good, and there are some sparkles of true conflict here and there, but mostly it's about the mundane daily plight of a vicar who finds love later in life and saves people - emotionally and physically.

If you like the first in the series, keep reading because you will be comforted by the characters and will want to see who is added
Ellen
Into every marriage some hard times come. Father Tim and Cynthia are not an exception. Far from idyllic and peaceful, retirement often finds them overwhelmed and stressed. Stress takes a toll and jeopardizes Father Tim's health as his diabetes gets out of control. Add to that a spiraling depression and all of Father Tim's relationships feel the strain. If that were all the story told, it would be a desperate tale indeed. Thankfully, In this Mountain is also a strong story of forgiveness and grat ...more
KathyJ
This is the end-of-the-line for myself and the Mitford Series. I have been charmed and amused by the characters along the way, but the story development and characters' responses are beginning to feel somewhat predictable to me, and I don't look forward to the next chapter as I did at one time. Congratulations and thanks to the author on a commendable and very successful series.
Kimberly
This seemingly simple lovely village and it's people has captivated my heart. This book in the series was just what i needed. Like Father Tims sermon it seemed directed towards me.
  • Christmas in Harmony: A Harmony Story (Harmony, #4)
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Help! I've Lost Myself!  (Dearest Dorothy, #3)
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Down
  • A Light in Zion (Zion Chronicles #4)
  • A New Leaf: Cape Light #4 (Kinkade, Thomas)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for
More about Jan Karon...

Mitford Years (10 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years, #6)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good (Mitford Years, #10)
At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1) A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2) A New Song (Mitford Years, #5) These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3) Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)

“Give me faith, Lord, to know Your Presence as surely as I know the beating of my own heart. I've felt so far from You....” 12 likes
“He was praying the Psalms, as he'd done in times past, with the enemies of King David translated into his own enemies of fear and remorse and self-loathing, which, in their legions, had become as armies of darkness.” 1 likes