The Mitford Bedside Companion: A Treasury of Favorite Mitford Moments, Author Reflections on the Bestselling Series, and More. Much More.

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  665 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Jan Karon’s Mitford Years series is a publishing phenomenon that, since 1996, has sold more than twenty-five million books and attracted millions of devoted readers around the world. With the series now complete, Karon’s fans have raced through nine novels—and then sat down and read them again and again. For all those who love returning to Mitford, this gorgeously packaged...more
Published October 24th 2006 by Viking Adult (first published 2006)

Diane
I enjoyed the Mitford novels, even though I don't follow organized religion. I felt that they were full of grace, forgivness, and examined life carefully and with good heart. I would even read them again. However I'm not a book worshipper, and this Companion is for those who would fall into the class of those who wrote letters to Sherlock Holmes asking for help. At the top of these worshippers is Karon herself, which comes out so strongly in the book that it turned me off. She loves her books, l...more
Gwen
Aug 27, 2012 Gwen rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gwen by: browsing at the library
Shelves: fiction
I'm the type of person who will actually watch all the director/writer/producer/actor/special effects commentaries for movies and TV shows, and I thought that this book would be the written version of the author's commentary: development, editorial process, focus group reaction, reaction from fans, parallels to author's life, etc. Sadly, I was mistaken. This book is little more than a compilation of sections from the nine books in the Mitford series, grouped in themes like "food," "Uncle Billy's...more
Charlotte
I have not read any of the books in the Mitford series but had heard about them so I was glad to receive this book as a gift. I am especially interested in Irish people and was curious about Father Tim.

It must have taken many hours and much diligence to compile this edition so I applaud those efforts. However, I found much repetition of stories in the book and was not at all sorry to finish the book. It is good to know such wholesome reading is available. Perhaps sometime I will read some book...more
Lynnea
Jun 15, 2008 Lynnea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mitford fans
Shelves: fiction
A very fun book to remember the stories in the Mitford series, to read through the cast of characters in case you have forgotten who someone was, and mostly, to hear how Jan Karon thinks and processes her books.
I think I will read this book again in a year or so (it will probably get 5 stars then). I just read the nine Mitford books in the last two months so re-reading stories so quickly wasn't as great as it could have been. A great book to read after you have finished the series and taken a br...more
Jan
Oh Mitford, how do I love thee, let me count the ways!

This is a book that explains some of the behind the scenes of how the Mitford series came about, but more importantly, it is full of great segments that come from the series. Reading this is like reminiscing with friends. Oh, do you remember when...

This is a good book to have nearby when you are between books. Just read here and there and relish the wonderful tone, philosophy, and nature of The people of Mitford.
Margo
A delightful compilation to read, even when you OWN all the Mitford books! There are some bits of new material/essays and comments from Jan Karon, as well as some photos, and even a crossword puzzle and "bloopers." Excerpts are pulled from all the books along themes, such as meals, prayer, special events, letters, sermons, and Uncle Billy's Jokes. I enjoyed it thoroughly, and you read it in very small chunks.
Kathryn
I adored this series and waited anxiously for each new book to be published. This books tells about all the characters, the progression of the story, the businesses that were in Mitford and of course the recipes. I really should make the Orange Marmalade Cake someday. It felt good to remember how much these books touched my life and I do really think these books would be a great TV show.
Margaret
I received this book for Christmas and spent four months reading it at bedtime. For the lover of Mitford, it is a delightful way to revisit the novels without rereading them, and the impact of the incidents in the story is hightened by clustering them together in categories--a whole chapter of Uncle Billy's jokes, all the food events, Father Tim's sermons, love stories, and so forth.
David
I started reading this book before I had finished the main books. I realized that it was acting almost as a spoiler. I found it the other day, and plan to finish it at some point.

Truly a bedside book, I have been reading a little bit each night. I have learned a lot about Father Tim and Mitford from this boot.
Only someone who really loves the Mitford series would like this book. I do love the series and I just skimmed through it. It's mostly excerpts from the books so I basically skipped all those and just read the little essays, etc. that had been written for the book.
Kay
Ah, back to Mitford! Actually, back to Ireland. This book moved slower than Karon's others. The characters, as always, seemed well-developed, but the plot seemed weaker. It was a lovely travel piece on Ireland, however, and I would love to go sometime!
Anna
Selections from the books, combined with thoughts from the author, recipes, poems, and photos. Love!
Treasure
Mostly a collection of what has already been written, so points off for unoriginality! But I enjoyed the new writings and the author's insights, even though this book is one heavy thing to lug next to your bedside.
Lu
May 20, 2014 Lu rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: finished
It's one of the books I like to open at random, when in the mood and be able to laugh, be inspired, or recall the Mitford novels I so love. I'm often reading it over many years.
Donna
When I started reading this last winter I realized there were so many things from the series that I didn't remember. So I started re-reading all the books in the series.
Rebecca
This is great for the Mitford fan. Enjoy reading excerpts of your favorite scenes and conversations. The personal insights from Jan Karon are also interesting.
Ann
I liked it. It was a great memory trip through the series which I read and finished several years ago. It brought back all the enjoyment I had reading them.
Jane
I bought this as a birthday gift for my dear friend BR. I started to read it & loved it so much that I had to buy another one for her. :)
Leslie Wahlquist
A lovely read. Great bits of the various books, and some lovely Scripture quotes. Very uplifting and soothing to read.
Holly
Reading it now. Good, but I'd rather read the whole of the books because I get just a snippet here and am hungry for more!
Linda
I have read all the Mitford books and loved them. This is a delightful return to meeting with old friends again.
Barbara
Great companion to the series, with some author information and insights, even a trivia quiz and crossword puzzle.
Caroline Moss
not the best one of jan karon books i loved the midford series i dont think it could get any better than that
Laurice
Wonderful highlights of the series and background of the author. Recipe for Esther's Orange Marmalade Cake too!
Kathy
Very casual book to read. I enjoyed the short stories and of course the recipes.
Laurel Comeaux
All best from Jan Karon's stories in one book. Love this. Recipes are great too.
Nice reminder of the great moments and characters in the Mitford series!
Emily
Good book to review all that you have read of the past years.
Karyn
Such fun! I especially enjoyed the back-stories.
Julie
Brings back all those warm feelings :)
  • Winter Birds
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • A New Leaf: Cape Light #4 (Kinkade, Thomas)
  • Stones of Jerusalem (The Zion Legacy, #5)
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Showers in Season (Seasons, #2)
  • The Tender Vine (The Diamond of the Rockies #3)
  • Miss Julia Renews Her Vows (Miss Julia, #11)
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for...more
More about Jan Karon...
At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1) A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2) A New Song (Mitford Years, #5) These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years #3) Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)