Start by marking “Isaac Newton” as Want to Read:
Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton (Christian Encounters Series)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"Christian Encounters," a series of biographies from Thomas Nelson Publishers, highlights important lives from all ages and areas of the Church. Some are familiar faces. Others are unexpected guests. But all, through their relationships, struggles, prayers, and desires, uniquely illuminate our shared experience.

As an inventor, astronomer, physicist, and philosopher, Isaac...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Isaac Newton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isaac Newton

Jesse Broussard
I picked this book because my math teacher wrote it, not out of any inherent interest in Newton. That lasted about the first two chapters. From that point on, I was fascinated with the little guy: obsessive, neurotic, reclusive, a genius with a few slight misanthropic tendencies--he really is an astonishing character. Nothing at all like I'd pictured him, and I highly recommend this book to anyone even remotely interested in anything at all (though it is somewhat weak on dragons).

Stokes obviousl...more
Douglas Wilson
I began reading this simply because a friend wrote it, but the hook went in early, and I found myself hauled into the boat rapidly. This book is just brilliant, engaging, productive, and fun.
Christine
Who would have known that Newton would be so interesting?! It's funny how similar he and Mitch are.
Gwen Burrow
Quite enjoyed it. Stokes knows Newton like a brother, and his prose is tight and fresh.
Lois
One of a series of books on leading Christian figures, Christian Encounters: Isaac Newton discusses the philosophy, life and times of this eminent inventor, astronomer, physicist, and philosopher. In addition to exploring Newton’s extensive writings on faith, he also shows how Newton used his grasp on theology to explain the scientific world.

Stokes includes fairly extensive quotes from Newton’s leading biographers, William Stukeley and Frank Manuel, as well as excerpts from the philosopher’s own...more
Abbie Riddle
Isaac Newton, Mitch Stokes
What a profound man! I actually requested this book primarily as a resource for home school. I think it will serve as an excellent resource and that it should also be brought into the public school. I may have been more interested in the work and theories of Mr. Newton when I was in high school had I known the driving force behind them. It seems so often we focus on the discoveries, inventions, theories, and philosophies, and equations of man that we rarely take time to...more
Dan Glover
I was pleasantly surprised by this brief biography of Isaac Newton. This is not the first book by Mitch Stokes that I have read, so it wasn't his abilities as a writer that surprised me. Stokes is a good writer and there are some truly memorable turns of phrase in this book which is something I haven't often found in biographies. He also traces some themes throughout which serve well to tie Newton's life story together. Rather, what surprised me was how good a feel one gets for Isaac Newton as a...more
Mary
This book is one of a series entitled Christian Encounters. I was expecting a book about Isaac Newton's religious beliefs or lack there of. I was pleasantly surprised when reading the book to find that it is a very good biography of Sir Isaac Newton with a subtle weaving of his beliefs woven very cleverly throughout the book.
I had never read a biography of Sir Newton. I learned so much from this book. Full of interesting facts, friendships, enemies, lifestyle, and more, this book was also a blue...more
Luke D
I LOVED this book. Brilliantly written, informative, eye-opening, inspiring, encouraging and challenging! Showed me how much of a completely unbelievable genius Isaac Newton really was. Alexander Pope gave him this epitaph:

Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night;
God said, "Let Newton be," and all was light.

Slightly extravagant, but mostly true!
Ryan Adair
Mitch Stokes has written a wonderful biography for one of the world's most brilliant men. Mostly known as an inventor, astronomer, physicist, mathematician, scientist, and philosopher, but Isaac Newton wrote more about theology and religion than all of these subjects combined. Newton's desire for knowledge was a form of worship to God—the ultimate goal was to know God and "give him honour & glory." John Locke even commented to his cousin that he "knew few who were Newton's equal in knowledge...more
Ethan
I really liked the premise of this book: examine a well known historical figure through the lens of the Christian faith.
Having just graduated with a degree in physics, I've heard a lot about Newton and studied the discoveries he made, but I'll admit that I was surprised to learn of the strength of Isaac Newton's faith and how that motivated and enabled him to make the discoveries he did.
This book is fairly short for a biography, so it's a pretty easy read. But I also feel he did a good job of...more
Chris
I didn't realize Isaac Newton was such a theologian.
Brian Saul
Mathematics in heavy syrup. Like many great minds, Newton was a rather rare bird. His life in all its intensity operated on a very different plane from mine- that's for sure! While I deeply appreciate his genius, I have a hard time relating to him. Well, I don't understand him. The biography was well-researched and well-written. It's a bit heavy for me, however.
Christopher
This was a really good biography. Newton is an interesting character and Dr. Stokes presents him and his revolutionary ideas clearly and with dry humor. It was also nice to be able to read a biographer who is philosophically on top of it and took Issac Newton seriously, rather than treating him like a historical curio.

Also read in Spring of 2012
Steve
This corrected my view of Newton, less unorthodox than I had throught, and truly pivotal.

While we are at it, this whole series are intelligent, thoughtful biographies that don't over simplify, neither do they wander off into 500 pages of exhausting and bearing-losing detail. They coveer the topic in 150 to 200 pages.
Suzanne
An extremely well-written and well-researched biography. Mitch Stokes was able to bring his subject of Isaac Newton to life. What could have been a dry book about this man was engaging and interesting and piqued my interest in Newton and his work. Highly recommend reading this book.
Matthew Hurley
Filled some unforgivable gaps in my knowledge of Newton and his aftermath (no pun intended). Stokes' critique of where we've gone from Newton is particularly telling.

P.S. Also, Hooke was kind of a loser.
Bev Atwood
This is an amazingly fun book. What we know of Isaac Newton in the history books is just the tip of the iceberg. Dr. Stokes' writing style is easy -- it reads more like an autobiography.
Ted Ryan
Ted Ryan marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Bonnie Carl
Bonnie Carl marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Davo Harutyunyan
Davo Harutyunyan marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Judah Ivy
Judah Ivy is currently reading it
Sep 06, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Christopher Goins
Christopher Goins marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Franklin
Franklin marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Princesshannah
Princesshannah marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jonathan Franzone
Jonathan Franzone marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dr. Stokes received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Florida in 1992 and an M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Central Florida in 1994. While serving as an advanced and senior engineer in Florida in the 1990s, Dr. Stokes took theological courses at Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando. He went on to complete an M.A. in Religion (Philosophy of Religion)...more
More about Mitch Stokes...
A Shot of Faith (to the Head): Be a Confident Believer in an Age of Cranky Atheists Galileo