Start by marking “The Furies (Kent Family Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Furies (Kent Family Chronicles, #4)

The Furies (Kent Family Chronicles #4)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  3,503 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The eight-volume epic of the Kent family continues as a new generation struggles to survive within a nation rife with conflict. Amanda Kent was a woman of great courage, but nothing prepared her for the massacre she witnessed at the Alamo. Now she's returned to Boston to rebuild the Kent legacy.
Published September 7th 2004 by Signet (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Furies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Furies

Jim
This was a darker book than the previous one, but featured Amanda, possibly my favorite character in the entire series. We follow her from the Alamo to NYC where things are heating up for the Civil War. As usual, Jakes does a great job showing both sides of the conflicts from a personal view. He drops a lot of historical information in well connected threads throughout, too.

Handling the feelings on both sides of the argument that would become the Civil War was particularly masterful, especially
Thom Swennes
Nov 23, 2012 Thom Swennes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: re-read
The Kent family has entered into its third American generation and Amanda Kent shows that not only the men are daring and brave. Texas fights for its independence from Mexico and Amanda witnesses both the atrocities and glories of war. This is the only John Jake’s novel (and I've read almost all of them) that has a woman as the main character. The gold rush and immigration westward to California and the Pacific coast are related in thrilling and picturesque prose. That makes this volume unique a ...more
Tara Hall
I read books 2-7 of this series in the last weeks of Feb 2013. While I liked the continuation of the family name through each generation, I could have done without every single important female of the Kent family being raped, sometimes repeatedly. They no sooner got power and money than they lost it, and family members ran the gamut from good to brilliant to corrupt to sleazy to fierce to insane to bloodthirsty. Lots of historical info, also, which made the story more real and interesting. But I ...more
Joy H.
Added 7/30/12.
Finished this book in September 2012. A good read.
I loved meeting the historic characters in this book of historical fiction.
While the book was not as compelling as some other books I've read, I always enjoyed going back to where I left off.
On to the next book in the series, The Titans!
Karla
Yay, this one was really good. A female as the central character! She takes charge!

Side note: All this leisurely reading--I must have a paper due on Friday.
Marilyn
Amanda Kent, the young girl separated from her cousin in the last book, has survived. She's been through experiences that have made her strong and determined to survive. She survives the Alamo and is rescued from probable death by (the) Cordoba, who she learns to love and eventually has a child by. She ends up in California, and, having a burning desire to get the Kent Family Publishing company back, needs money. The California Gold Rush is on. As thoughts formulate in her mind about how she mig ...more
April Martinez
The Furies by John Jakes

This book is my favorite in the series so far, it focused on Amanda Kent! Once the author circled back to original plot with different characters, yet kept the story fresh and new. Series have a way of bogging down and get repetitive with weaker characters and unfinished story lines, not with John Jake's! This is an easy book to read and I'm moving on to the next book!
Brent Soderstrum
The fourth volume of the Kent Family Chronicles covers the years 1836 to the 1850s just before the Civil War. This volume is also almost exclusively about Amanda Kent. Jephtha Kent, Jared's son, and even Jared have minor roles.

Amanda starts out at the Alamo. She ends up being one of the few survivors. Descriptions of the mutilation of the bodies of the Americans by the Mexicans was interesting. Amanda then becomes lovers with one of her Mexican captors, Cordoba. She eventually winds up in Califo
Denise
Moving forward in the Kent Family Chronicles, we meet Amanda Kent. A woman who was abducted and raped before she was a teenager. She lived with Indians, married a Spanish trapper, survived the massacre at the Alamo, loved a Mexican soldier and watched his death. Some months later she bore his child. She'd been homeless and broke but managed to turn adversity into success using sheer determination and raw bravado. This is how history should be taught...from the viewpoint of individual Americans r ...more
Debbie Jarrell
I love this series. This is the fourth of 8 books, starts off in the Alamo when Texans are massacred by Mexicans, moves to California during the Gold Rush, and concludes in New England. Some Underground Railroad thrown in for extra drama. Can't wait to start the next book.
Teresa
Sep 15, 2014 Teresa added it
As usual, I'm caught up in this series and can't wait to read the next book. You almost feel like you're part of the Kent family.
Tammy
Oct 18, 2012 Tammy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical Fiction Lovers
The fourth book of the Kent Family Chronicles. This is mostly Amanda Kent's story. Starting in 1836 at the Alamo, to the gold rush of California, to 1852 New York. While a strong woman that survived much that most people couldn't handle, she was obsessed with her goals that will leave you with the question of the price paid for her goals.
I personally didn't care for Jephtha Kent's diary entries but they were a significant part to introduce Jephtha and give a feel for the views in this historical
Bonnie
Book 4, The Furies, which traces the first major female member of the Kent family, beginning with her survival at The Alamo, moving to California during the Gold Rush days, then back to New York as she attempts to regain the Kent family publishing house while confronting her own demons. A little slower in spots than the first three books, but ends with a tremendously good bang (almost literally!) and readies the reader to move onto the next generation of Kents and the impending Civil War.
Kay
Jan 28, 2014 Kay added it
just as good second time around!!!
Tim "The Enchanter"
The fourth instalment of the Kent Family chronicles was a substantial improvement over the third volume. The story revolves around the resourceful Amanda Kent. In the Furies we are presented with a member of the kent family that is, for the most part likeable. My biggest complaint about the series this far is that the author seems to feel that a book requires multiple instances of rape. This needless obsession tempered my review.
Lynne Nathan
All the characters seem to follow a similar path - struggle, overcoming obstacles as they pursue, single-mindedly a goal that is important only to them, and along the way, I like them less & less. I do enjoy the historical context and viewing our history through the lens of the protagonist, though.
Debbie
This is an excellent book. I'm really enjoying Amanda's story.

This covers Jared's life a bit but not much. John does give you a good summary of life and a good introduction to the next generation of Kent's from his marriage.

We are starting to get into the civil war. I'm enjoying the facts that Amanda isn't kneed deep into knowing every historical figure and just tells her tale.

Wally
Like the earlier books in this series, it is an interesting story well-told.
Carmen
Jun 11, 2009 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carmen by: George Dobrovolny
Another book I wish I could put as 3.5 stars. Aside from the first in the series, I found this book to be one of the more captivating...probably because a woman is the central character. It's a bit of a quest to follow your dreams, be true to your family, and above all be true to yourself! I would read it again! :)
Louise Jennings
I loved this book. A woman like Amanda to survive what she did and live her life was amazing to read but it shows that sometimes you can be so adament to avenge or achieve something that you lose all sense of importance. That being happy with what you have is better than being obsessed with what you lost
Eggbeater
Sometimes in life you've got to take a stand. You can't remain neutral even if it means losing friends and family members, social status, and putting yourself in danger.

This was an amazing and thought-provoking book. The characters were strong and admirable and humanly fallible.
Matt
The best one of the series so far. I love looking up and reading about all the real historical figures the fictional characters in this series meet along the way.
Allyson
John Jakes' reputation for historical accuracy, his writing style, and the story he tells of the fictional Kent family combine to makes the entire 8-volume family saga absolutely wonderful. Reading this series was key in getting me "hooked" on the historical-fiction genre.
Cindy
Amanda is not a women to be reconned with. I found the book a bit slow to start and It seemed to pick up speed towards the end. I will wait to see how the character Louis (her son) charges on with the family name at stake.
Ginny
The 4th in the Kent Family chronicles, this one has a female as the lead character, as it takes us through the mid 1800s in the Western territories. Jakes makes getting a flavor of American History very easy with this series.
Susan Weber
This book opens in the Alamo. So far it is as good as the other books, but not sure what happened to Amanda between this book and the last. I'm sure that more will be explained later!
Ice Bear
An improvement on the previous book, as we move from the Alamo and the gold rush to just before the outset of the civil war. Once again the chronology jumping is annoying.
Nicole Gust
I really hate how he skips so much of his characters lives between books so I started of completely disliking the book but he did okay with filling the blanks in as he went along.
Deb
Own
Time for a break from this series. Enjoyable reading but ready for something different. This 4th book covers Amanda's struggle to regain the Kent family printing business.
  • 1812
  • Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)
  • Washington! (Wagons West, #9)
  • The Magnificent Century (The Plantagenets, #2)
  • Alaska
  • Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)
  • A Season of Swans (Wild Swan Trilogy, #3)
  • Dragon's Lair (Justin de Quincy, #3)
  • Back Bay (Peter Fallon, #1)
  • The Scarlet Letter & the House of the Seven Gables
John Jakes, the author of more than a dozen novels, is regarded as one of today’s most distinguished writers of historical fiction. His work includes the highly acclaimed Kent Family Chronicles series and the North and South Trilogy. Jakes’s commitment to historical accuracy and evocative storytelling earned him the title of “the godfather of historical novelists” from the Los Angeles Times and le ...more
More about John Jakes...

Kent Family Chronicles (9 books)
  • The Bastard (Kent Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Rebels (Kent Family Chronicles, #2)
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Kent Family Chronicles: 3 Volumes in 1 (Kent Family Chronicles, #1-3)
  • The Titans (Kent Family Chronicles, #5)
  • The Warriors (Kent Family Chronicles, #6)
  • The Lawless (Kent Family Chronicles, #7)
  • The Americans (Kent Family Chronicles, #8)
North and South (North and South, #1) The Bastard (Kent Family Chronicles, #1) Love and War (North and South, #2) Heaven and Hell (North and South, #3) The Warriors (Kent Family Chronicles, #6)

“Guilty she might be. But what human being was not? There were things in her past she needn't be ashamed of, things to be proud of; she wouldn't surrender so meekly to a condemning judgment.” 1 likes