Start by marking “The Furies (Kent Family Chronicles, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Furies (Kent Family Chronicles, #4)

The Furies (Kent Family Chronicles #4)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  4,153 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
The eight-volume epic of the Kent family continues as a new generation struggles to survive within a nation rife with conflict. Amanda Kent was a woman of great courage, but nothing prepared her for the massacre she witnessed at the Alamo. Now she's returned to Boston to rebuild the Kent legacy.
Published September 7th 2004 by Signet (first published 1976)

Jim
This was a darker book than the previous one, but featured Amanda, possibly my favorite character in the entire series. We follow her from the Alamo to NYC where things are heating up for the Civil War. As usual, Jakes does a great job showing both sides of the conflicts from a personal view. He drops a lot of historical information in well connected threads throughout, too.

Handling the feelings on both sides of the argument that would become the Civil War was particularly masterful, especially
Thom Swennes
Jul 15, 2010 Thom Swennes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: re-read
The Kent family has entered into its third American generation and Amanda Kent shows that not only the men are daring and brave. Texas fights for its independence from Mexico and Amanda witnesses both the atrocities and glories of war. This is the only John Jake’s novel (and I've read almost all of them) that has a woman as the main character. The gold rush and immigration westward to California and the Pacific coast are related in thrilling and picturesque prose. That makes this volume unique a ...more
Tara Hall
Dec 19, 2012 Tara Hall rated it it was amazing
I read books 2-7 of this series in the last weeks of Feb 2013. While I liked the continuation of the family name through each generation, I could have done without every single important female of the Kent family being raped, sometimes repeatedly. They no sooner got power and money than they lost it, and family members ran the gamut from good to brilliant to corrupt to sleazy to fierce to insane to bloodthirsty. Lots of historical info, also, which made the story more real and interesting. But I ...more
Joy H.
Jul 29, 2012 Joy H. rated it really liked it
Added 7/30/12.
Finished this book in September 2012. A good read.
I loved meeting the historic characters in this book of historical fiction.
While the book was not as compelling as some other books I've read, I always enjoyed going back to where I left off.
On to the next book in the series, The Titans!
Karla
Jun 18, 2011 Karla rated it really liked it
Yay, this one was really good. A female as the central character! She takes charge!

Side note: All this leisurely reading--I must have a paper due on Friday.
XO
Jan 22, 2017 XO rated it liked it
Amanda, my favorite character so far.
If you read GOT then don't worry about the dark comments.
Ahw
Feb 26, 2017 Ahw rated it liked it
I keep reading the series. The history is good. There are interesting characters but sometimes the characters, frequently the characters do something which seems out of character and stupid and frequently wrong. The author was just trying to add something interested and dramatic.
The characters are not "heroic". You might say that is realistic. Humans aren't really heroic. But frequently they aren't just plain idiots.

The whiplash between the main characters doing things which are heroic and noble
Samyann
Mar 02, 2016 Samyann rated it it was amazing
These comments address The Kent Family Chronicles, the entire series of eight books, in audiobook format. All books are narrated by Marc Vietor. The entire series is approximately 125 hours of listening. Shortest book is 15.5 hours, longest over 26 hours. Vietor does a good job with narration, although the uniqueness of male voices is problematic. Most significant, you’ll have little difficulty determining who-says-what-to-who. Tempo and pacing fine, albeit the narration is a bit slow for my tas ...more
Marilyn
Sep 18, 2011 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Amanda Kent, the young girl separated from her cousin in the last book, has survived. She's been through experiences that have made her strong and determined to survive. She survives the Alamo and is rescued from probable death by (the) Cordoba, who she learns to love and eventually has a child by. She ends up in California, and, having a burning desire to get the Kent Family Publishing company back, needs money. The California Gold Rush is on. As thoughts formulate in her mind about how she mig ...more
Lynn
Feb 11, 2017 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, drama
The Kent Family Chronicles continue. We meet the adult Amanda, her son Louis, and Jared's son Jeptha, a Southern minister. In the real world, we have the attack on the Alamo, the rise of the abolitionist and women's rights movements, and the Gold Rush.

Amanda is a good, strong character. Perhaps a little too strong, as other characters comment through the tale. More would be spoiling.
Brent Soderstrum
Feb 07, 2010 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it
The fourth volume of the Kent Family Chronicles covers the years 1836 to the 1850s just before the Civil War. This volume is also almost exclusively about Amanda Kent. Jephtha Kent, Jared's son, and even Jared have minor roles.

Amanda starts out at the Alamo. She ends up being one of the few survivors. Descriptions of the mutilation of the bodies of the Americans by the Mexicans was interesting. Amanda then becomes lovers with one of her Mexican captors, Cordoba. She eventually winds up in Califo
Denise
Jan 10, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Moving forward in the Kent Family Chronicles, we meet Amanda Kent. A woman who was abducted and raped before she was a teenager. She lived with Indians, married a Spanish trapper, survived the massacre at the Alamo, loved a Mexican soldier and watched his death. Some months later she bore his child. She'd been homeless and broke but managed to turn adversity into success using sheer determination and raw bravado. This is how history should be taught...from the viewpoint of individual Americans r ...more
Vivyenne
Sep 29, 2015 Vivyenne rated it liked it
The sweeping historical scene and extremely vivid - and complex - characters are the highlights of this book. The main character, Amanda, is fierce. However the fact that Jakes insists in having one or more of the female characters be raped, sometimes horrifically, in every book is quite off putting. Jakes does a fantastic job of creating complex and compelling stories, but the sexual assault and his constant need to constantly kick in the teeth such few of the main characters as are likeable - ...more
Bonnie Staughton
Aug 20, 2016 Bonnie Staughton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Furies", 4th in the Kent Family Chronicles Series, concerns the Gold Rush in California and the heating up of the slavery issue. Amanda Kent, survivor of the Alamo, uses all of her strength and resources to reach her life goal of returning to Boston and bringing "Kent and Sons" printing back into the family.

Through all of her hardships to attain her goal we see the advancement of the country opening up and the fever rising to challenge the slave issue head on.

I love how this series, throu
Mark Day
Jan 01, 2017 Mark Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the Kent Family Chronicles series is perhaps the best so far. It certainly rivals the insights into the colonial struggle chronicled in The Bastard with it's own perspective of westward expansion and the issue of slavery. The storyline was unique because the main character was a strong, courageous and independent woman. That made the story unique and kept it interesting. As usual, John Jakes mixes melodrama with history in a unique way, but there is no denying that the story i ...more
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Book 4, The Furies, which traces the first major female member of the Kent family, beginning with her survival at The Alamo, moving to California during the Gold Rush days, then back to New York as she attempts to regain the Kent family publishing house while confronting her own demons. A little slower in spots than the first three books, but ends with a tremendously good bang (almost literally!) and readies the reader to move onto the next generation of Kents and the impending Civil War.
Tim The Enchanter
The fourth instalment of the Kent Family chronicles was a substantial improvement over the third volume. The story revolves around the resourceful Amanda Kent. In the Furies we are presented with a member of the kent family that is, for the most part likeable. My biggest complaint about the series this far is that the author seems to feel that a book requires multiple instances of rape. This needless obsession tempered my review.
April Martinez
Feb 13, 2015 April Martinez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Furies by John Jakes

This book is my favorite in the series so far, it focused on Amanda Kent! Once the author circled back to original plot with different characters, yet kept the story fresh and new. Series have a way of bogging down and get repetitive with weaker characters and unfinished story lines, not with John Jake's! This is an easy book to read and I'm moving on to the next book!
Louise Jennings
I loved this book. A woman like Amanda to survive what she did and live her life was amazing to read but it shows that sometimes you can be so adament to avenge or achieve something that you lose all sense of importance. That being happy with what you have is better than being obsessed with what you lost
Debbie
Apr 22, 2010 Debbie rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. I'm really enjoying Amanda's story.

This covers Jared's life a bit but not much. John does give you a good summary of life and a good introduction to the next generation of Kent's from his marriage.

We are starting to get into the civil war. I'm enjoying the facts that Amanda isn't kneed deep into knowing every historical figure and just tells her tale.

Lynne Nathan
May 30, 2014 Lynne Nathan rated it liked it
All the characters seem to follow a similar path - struggle, overcoming obstacles as they pursue, single-mindedly a goal that is important only to them, and along the way, I like them less & less. I do enjoy the historical context and viewing our history through the lens of the protagonist, though.
Carmen
Apr 19, 2009 Carmen rated it liked it
Recommended to Carmen by: George Dobrovolny
Another book I wish I could put as 3.5 stars. Aside from the first in the series, I found this book to be one of the more captivating...probably because a woman is the central character. It's a bit of a quest to follow your dreams, be true to your family, and above all be true to yourself! I would read it again! :)
Lori
Jun 03, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The saga continues with grueling account of the Alamo thru Amanda Kent. Historical fiction gives a different perspective than just the facts and this being an adventuresome time in US history it makes for interesting read/listen.
Sheryl
Jul 01, 2015 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Lots of good history going on beginning with the Alamo. Strong woman character (perhaps a little too strong at times) made for lots of harsh action. What a hard time in history to live, especially with the civil war looming in the future.
Cindy
Sep 06, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: john-jakes
Amanda is not a women to be reconned with. I found the book a bit slow to start and It seemed to pick up speed towards the end. I will wait to see how the character Louis (her son) charges on with the family name at stake.
Debbie Jarrell
Dec 04, 2014 Debbie Jarrell rated it it was amazing
I love this series. This is the fourth of 8 books, starts off in the Alamo when Texans are massacred by Mexicans, moves to California during the Gold Rush, and concludes in New England. Some Underground Railroad thrown in for extra drama. Can't wait to start the next book.
Allyson
Jul 28, 2011 Allyson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
John Jakes' reputation for historical accuracy, his writing style, and the story he tells of the fictional Kent family combine to makes the entire 8-volume family saga absolutely wonderful. Reading this series was key in getting me "hooked" on the historical-fiction genre.
Eggbeater
Jul 17, 2013 Eggbeater rated it it was amazing
Sometimes in life you've got to take a stand. You can't remain neutral even if it means losing friends and family members, social status, and putting yourself in danger.

This was an amazing and thought-provoking book. The characters were strong and admirable and humanly fallible.
Ginny
Jul 03, 2008 Ginny rated it really liked it
The 4th in the Kent Family chronicles, this one has a female as the lead character, as it takes us through the mid 1800s in the Western territories. Jakes makes getting a flavor of American History very easy with this series.
Susan Weber
Jun 18, 2012 Susan Weber rated it it was amazing
This book opens in the Alamo. So far it is as good as the other books, but not sure what happened to Amanda between this book and the last. I'm sure that more will be explained later!
  • Second Generation (Lavette Family, #2)
  • 1812
  • Washington! (Wagons West, #9)
  • The Landmark History of the American People, 2 Volumes
  • Dragon's Lair (Justin de Quincy, #3)
  • The Magnificent Century (The Plantagenets, #2)
  • Alaska
  • Prairie
  • A Season of Swans (Wild Swan Trilogy, #3)
  • Ellis Island
  • The Scarlet Letter & the House of the Seven Gables
John Jakes, the author of more than a dozen novels, is regarded as one of today’s most distinguished writers of historical fiction. His work includes the highly acclaimed Kent Family Chronicles series and the North and South Trilogy. Jakes’s commitment to historical accuracy and evocative storytelling earned him the title of “the godfather of historical novelists” from the Los Angeles Times and le ...more
More about John Jakes...

Kent Family Chronicles (8 books)
  • The Bastard (Kent Family Chronicles, #1)
  • The Rebels (Kent Family Chronicles, #2)
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • The Titans (Kent Family Chronicles, #5)
  • The Warriors (Kent Family Chronicles, #6)
  • The Lawless (Kent Family Chronicles, #7)
  • The Americans (Kent Family Chronicles, #8)

“Guilty she might be. But what human being was not? There were things in her past she needn't be ashamed of, things to be proud of; she wouldn't surrender so meekly to a condemning judgment.” 3 likes