Start by marking “Presence” as Want to Read:
Presence

Presence

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  66 reviews
"Presence" is an intimate look at the development of a new theory about change and learning. In wide-ranging conversations held over a year and a half, organizational learning pioneers PeterSenge, C. Otto Scharmer, Joseph Jaworski, and Betty Sue Flowers explored the nature of transformational change-how it arises, and the fresh possibilities it offers a world dangerously o ...more
Published August 16th 2005 by Crown Business (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Presence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Presence

Paul
In seminary, I took a class called "Mysticism and Human Presence." Later, I stumbled onto Ralph Harper's book, "On Presence." Then I discovered Bernard McGinn's magnum-opus-in-progress, a history of Western Christian mysticism called "The Presence of God." All of these were significant to the formation of my theology. So when I saw this book - co-written by Peter Senge, whose work on "learning organizations" I have found so helpful - it was irresistible. When I began reading it, I was reminded o ...more
Alan
I wrote on the inside cover: A really excellent book! And if you were to open my copy you'd find it's filled with my annotations. I went on to write an article inspired by the book:
Leadership, information gathering and the future - What if we’ve got it wrong?

Here's a quote from that article:
(...) My hypothesis is that we will find a growing discrepancy between what we plan for the future and what comes about because of the actions we undertake to make it h
Niklas Eklund
I really like the concept of the U-theory and I found the way it was written to be very comfortable and interesting (it was written as if in a constant group dialogue). However while I found it comfortable to read it was at the same time hard to grasp at point on what they were arguing about. You get about 3/4 of the book hearing about the U-theory until you actually see the model itself.

Another major grip is the religious/spiritual aspects that shines through the entire book. And the constant r
Omar Halabieh
The central theme in this book is to present a new theory - the U movement - around how collective change occurs. The theory presents a new way for us to look at current reality and understand how we are contributing to it, but more importantly how we can re-shape it to what we want it to be. One of the fundamental underpinnings of this theory is that, while we usually break down systems into their individual parts to understand them, this decomposition does not work effectively for understandin ...more
Carla
-My idealism isn't immature. Smart people with profound experiences think like I do. Phew.
-Open up to the unpredictable dynamics of team work. Your value is in what you contribute, not in how fast you come up with 'the solution' (which you can't and really shouldn't do on your own anyway).
-Raise your awareness and think in systems.
-Be authentically you because what you bring to every situation influences it profoundly. False professional personas don't just protect you from others, they also in
Nancy
The dedicated efforts of this group of writers will probably accomplish good things, but I struggled to finish this book. A sincere, naive group of "servant leaders" collaborated to share their worldview. Sadly, too much of what is presented as fact is actually belief; group-think that was so carefully dissected and examined within the group that it clearly has substance for those involved.

The approach that the writers advocate - basically for leaders to be present and connected to team members
Gloria Denoon
This book adopts a spiritual approach and makes an interesting point that most deep kinds of learning and change take place when we are connected with that sacred place of seeing the whole and figuring out how we can be part of an emerging reality.

I appreciate the discussion on how the suspension of habitual thoughts enhances our ability to see things with fresh eyes and, how, with appropriate re-direction, we can possibly learn to see the whole or the generative theme. This is an inward process
I'm going to have to read this book again when I finish it. Am enjoying it incredibly. Looks like the business case for presence to me!
Bjørn Peterson
Refreshingly unique format and storytelling approach to such a book. Nice to see the struggles and journeys of the authors.
Neelesh Marik
'The longest road you will ever walk is the sacred journey from your head to your heart'
Filip
For a rational lover of non-fiction by Dawkins, Diamond and the like, reading this book caused a lot of aggravation. The basic message is maybe okay, though it does feel like a course for MBTI "S"s on how to become more of an intuitive "N".
The tone is intolerably smug, and factoids that are supposed to underpin certain outlandish theories are often given without reference to any reliable source. The American-centric point of view provides ludicrous distortions, such as in the passage where the a
Elizabeth
Feb 26, 2009 Elizabeth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all high level managers
Shelves: ralph
from the library c2004 Authors Peter Senge, C Otto Scharmer, Joseph Jaworski, Betty Sue Flowers

The book before Theory U which in my opinion is the real book about this subject of groups learning to learn.

about 290pages with notes, acknowledgments, Index
Table of Contents
Introduction p3-21
Part 1 Learning to see
Ch 1 the requiem scenario
ch 2 Seeing our Seeing
The capacity to Suspend/ Suspending together/Building a container/the courage to see freshly/the inner work of suspending/integrating the inne
Drick
This is one of those books that may take several reads to truly "get." I was drawn to the book by the subtitle: "an exploration of profound change in people, organizations, and society." Four scientific thinkers get together to ponder the meaning of change in everyday life, in organizations, in the4 world and in the universe. It is pretty heady stuff, largely steeped in Eastern religious thought, that at times I tried to translate into my Western ,Christian framework. At times I felt like they w ...more
Craig
“Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society” (Peter M. Senge, C. Otto Scharmer, Joseph Jaworski, Betty Sue Flowers) is the closest thing I have ever read that describes how I try to work as a consultant! I found myself talking back to the book and even exclaiming AHA! to the guy next to me on the plane. I am a huge fan of Peter Senge (who also authored “The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization,” but was amazed that he was a ...more
Ric Winstead
Jun 05, 2008 Ric Winstead rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Ric by: Oksana
An important book for anyone who wants to make deep changes to avoid the requiem scenario.

Combines a Buddhist & Tao understanding of the Self as part of the change process both as participant and co-creator of both our stuckness in the present toxic world and as the enabler of unfolding new integral action with natural flow. It describes entering into a sacred place of dancing with inner/outer manifestations. Leadership & becoming human.

Some amazing stories of self-discovery and revela
hilaryhail
I think if I had read this book when it came out in 2005 I would have loved it and soaked it up. Now it just seems old. It is also not terribly well written but I stuck with it because it details some aspects of their learnings from leaders that seem important.

Overall, I think the authors are trying to lift up the gifts spirituality can bring to operational practice and leadership but don't quite know how to say that given their contexts. Or perhaps they wrote the book before they settled more d
Kristina
I picked up this book because one of the authors, Betty Sue Flowers, was a speaker for the Mind Science Foundation in San Antonio. I found that even though it is almost a decade old, it dovetailed nicely into her talk.

The book is not organized typically, there are lots of sections that are transcripts of the authors' conversations. The lessons are organically grown from these anecdotes. Lots of Buddhist and Confucianism references. This is not a "how to guide" to healthier organizations or a sin
Cambridge Programme for Sustainability Leadership
One of Cambridge Sustainability's Top 50 Books for Sustainability, as voted for by our alumni network of over 3,000 senior leaders from around the world. To find out more, click here.

Presence presents a new model of personal and organisational change. Much of the book comprises transcripts of conversations between the authors, on subjects including science, business, leadership and spirituality. The authors' central question is: how do we individually and collectively bring about useful change i
John Stepper
Mind. Blown.

It might be easy to dismiss this book. The language and concepts can easily seem too abstract. But a friend with a considerable brain recommended it so I found a quiet place and focused. :-)

The effort was well worth it. The ideas are helpful I anyone trying to make sense of the big questions: Why are we here? Who am I? Where are we all heading? Reading this book at the same time I'm reading Tolle's "Power of Now" made for many interesting connections.

And the book is also fascinatin
James Williams
Nov 07, 2009 James Williams rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to James by: Marjam Vaher
The authors discuss their wide-ranging experiences around the world as they work with international companies and groups, in an effort to find the best functioning and learning organizations.

Their theories and their discoveries are well laid out and discussed in this mind opening book that takes the reader through their own path of discovery.

I learned a lot about myself as I read the experiences so well presented herein, and feel I have learned a lot about where we are a humans as we stand on th
Kimberly
Reading this book was like being part of the amazing, organic, "think tank" of some the great minds of our times. It is a brilliant exploration to the collective, global overhaul we need to begin in order to effect significant change in our world. These thinkers postulate the we CAN shape our future in a profound way by tapping into our collective consciousness and reshaping traditional organizational learning. I LOVED how this book tied together wisdom gained from mainstream corporate America a ...more
Shir_bel
Often the thinking of each of us depends on how you can see how "things" or situations, religion, customs and the way we are taught how to look at life.
Learning plays an important role as it integrates the thinking and acting together, it's alternative to the types of capacities that develop from the interactions and what is different is the depth of thought and the will to act.
The key to learning at the deepest levels is that the large life of which we are active are not inherently stable. So
Joe Delgado
Fabulous book! All three of Otto Scharmer's books (whether written by himself or in collaboration with others) have had a profound effect on me!
Mary
Nov 01, 2008 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested
Recommended to Mary by: saw it in a magazine
Basically a look at a new theory about change and how it can be used to improve our world that the authors say is dangerously out of balance. It defines what it takes for us to see, sense, and realize new possibilities in ourselves, in our institutions and organizations, and in society.

Full of wisdom and experience from scientists, social leaders, entrepreneurs, and Carl Jung.

"Finding our presence is finding the key to creative change and to our own future."
Ken Wilbur

Fascinating and intellectu
Kathy
Fascinating and very relevant, though it was written almost 10 years ago. There's a lot to absorb and I feel like I need to re-read it or read some of their other books on the U Theory to really get it.
Carol
Spirituality, science, leadership, change theory ... my kind of book! Written as a series of conversations between the authors, explores a framework for transformational change (Otto Scharmer's "Theory U") and the value of going deeper, allowing actions to emerge from an inner knowing. A starting point for many more conversations ... particularly about how to put these thoughts into practice in the work world.
Laurent
Presence has "simply" allowed to me to finally name, relate to, and accept many of the intuitions that I was hoping to be true and yet pushing aside as non acceptable dreams.

It is a transformational conversation, which as all insightful conversation echo and grow me to the pace of my own evolution.

My intention is to intentionally relay and participate purposefully to this dialogue.
Areyoume712
I sometimes don't understand what the book is talking about. Sometimes because I just don't like that book. Sometimes it is going way ahead of my mind and makes it a challenge for me to accept and understand. It was like that when I first read this book. Then, after you read, you noticed that there are so much can be reffered existing or start happening. I hope to read it in English.
Jeanny
I think people either respond well to the book's meander through conversation and theory or they don't. I like the concepts and the U theory of creative generativity, but the structure of the book drove me nuts and almost made me throw it against the wall.

I did mine some food information from it, but it was really a forced slog through marshy ground for me to get there
Josef Kreitmayer
amazing book,
lovely how the collective story of the co-autors develops.

It taps into a deep source, understanding and wish for profound change, and contributing to that profound change.

very thankful for the read.
doodled, marked and wrote a lot in it.

It is a light read, a story unfolding, a personal journey of magnificent people and professionals. Hmmm
change making in the world 2 9 Jul 25, 2011 08:59AM
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Solving Tough Problems: An Open Way of Talking, Listening, and Creating New Realities
  • Leadership from the Inside Out: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • On Dialogue
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Building the Bridge as You Walk on It: A Guide for Leading Change
  • The Living Company
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together
  • The Thin Book of Appreciative Inquiry (Thin Book Series)
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • Images of Organization
Peter M. Senge is a senior lecturer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is also founding chair of the Society for Organizational Learning (SoL), a global community of corporations, researchers, and consultants dedicated to the "interdependent development of people and their institutions."
--from the author's website
More about Peter M. Senge...
The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization The Necessary Revolution: How Individuals And Organizations Are Working Together to Create a Sustainable World The Dance of Change: The challenges to sustaining momentum in a learning organization Schools That Learn: A Fifth Discipline Fieldbook for Educators, Parents and Everyone Who Cares About Education