Start by marking “Conagher” as Want to Read:
Conagher

Conagher

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,234 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
As far as the eye could see was a vast, empty horizon. Evie Teale had finally accepted that her husband wouldn’t be coming home. Now she and the children were alone in an untamed country where the elements, Indians, and thieves made it far easier to die than to live.

Miles away, another solitary soul battled for survival. Conagher was a lean, dark-eyed drifter who wasn’t ab
Published August 3rd 2004 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1969)

Lucinda
Mar 19, 2009 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite quote from the book (assigned for my Georgics Class):

He was not, he told himself, gifted with much imagination. He simply did what had to be done, and his code of ethics was the code of his father, his family, and his time. It would be easy...to throw everything overboard and disclaim any responsibility. All he had to do was saddle up and ride out of the country. It sounded easy, but it was not that easy, even if a man could leave behind his sense of guilt at having deserted a cause
Kathy Worrell  ツ
My first Louis L'Amour book!

I personally think the title should be called, "Cullen Bohannon" for all of you Hell on Wheel's fans, you know who I mean. Yes, Cullen is hot.....and I am free to superimpose any face I want onto Connagher....so, I did.

Ok, on to the story....its a quick, easy, enjoyable Western novel. It has some indians, some cowboy's , and the wild, Wild West.

I will definitely check out more of Louis L'Amour's books in the future.

George
Aug 02, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
"Ο δρόμος τελειώνει στην κόλαση", εκδόσεις ΒΙΠΕΡ.

Ενδέκατο βιβλίο του συγγραφέα που διαβάζω και γι'ακόμη μια φορά δεν με απογοήτευσε, πέρασα πολύ καλά και ευχαριστήθηκα δράση και τοπία.

Από την μια έχουμε την Ήβη, που άρχισε να συνειδητοποιεί ότι ο άντρας της δεν θα γυρίσει πίσω, το πιθανότερο γιατί έπαθε κάτι σοβαρό. Έμεινε μόνη με δυο παιδιά, σ'ένα σπίτι στην μέση του πουθενά, ένα σπίτι που θέλει πολλή δουλειά για να θεωρηθεί της προκοπής. Από την άλλη έχουμε τον Κόναγκερ, έναν τίμιο και εργατι
Celese
Jan 21, 2010 Celese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing Western book. I loved the rawness and clarity of the story. The descriptions weren't flowery -- instead they just perfectly described the harshness of the land, the people, and the situations. It was a short book but every part of it was important and a continuation of the story. Very well written and pure. I really enjoyed it!
Cora
May 24, 2009 Cora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book because it contained such strong archetypal characters who are honest, hardworking, and dreamers. Their dreams of someone to love do not involve grandeur or extreme wealth but the honest desire for another human to share ideas and common dreams. I also loved it because I like cowboys who can whip a man's butt instead of killing him to accomplish a change. It was a nice bonus that my husband liked it; we had several good chuckles about the situations that L'amour created for the ...more
Chris Morey
Sep 15, 2011 Chris Morey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conagher is a great, short Western novel. Louis L'Amour makes Conagher the man an interesting, complex character instead of the standard tough cowboy archetype you might expect. There's bravery and grit in the man, but also an underlying sadness and loneliness. This ties perfectly into the sweet romance between Mrs. Teale and Conagher, as she herself is lonely and has sorrow in her bones.

Anyone looking for an entertaining, well written and quick Western ride, Conagher is the book for you.
Kathleen
Aug 19, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of western fiction; writers of western fiction; fans of Louis L'Amour
Recommended to Kathleen by: Cheryl Pierson, Kirsten Arnold
Shelves: western
Western writers and readers should read CONAGHER for the depth of characterization and vocabulary words with which L'Amour packed all of his novels. Although the story does have some shoot-'em-up action, what's more notable is L'Amour's portrayal of iconic tropes: the lone cowboy with the Code of the West tattooed on his soul, the tough frontier widow who falls in love with a brutal land, outlaws with no friends and even fewer scruples.
Linda
Jun 23, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite L'Amour books! But I love them all...mine have been re-read so many times they are dog-eared, & some are coming apart. Such a shame he had to die & leave us without new stories to read!
Villager
Nov 30, 2011 Villager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had seen the movie and enjoyed it ... but, the book was superb as well. It is the classic western of a single cowboy with a moral compass that is simple and direct. It contains good scenes of the 'white hat' versus the 'black hats'. It also shows how much the character of a man can do to win over a situation ... even with men who is pitted against. Finally, it is a love story of two lonely people out on the prairie who come to realize that they love each other. In other words it is a good read ...more
Gail
Jul 11, 2015 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger, I read every Louis L'Amour book I could find. Some of them started to repeat a bit, but I still enjoyed them. I saw the author sitting at a table in a grocery store autographing books- wished I had some to have him sign, but generally being poor- I checked them out from a library. I liked The Walking Drum - I think that was the title, but I also liked the westerns I read. One day while driving, I was listening to a recording of 4 of his books- got so involved in the story, I ...more
Cate
Aug 23, 2011 Cate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge Sam Elliott fan, I tried to watch the movie a while back but found it a little confusing. Reading the book, I kept hearing Elliott's voice for Conn. I really liked this book--the bad guys still had some honor, and the good guys were genuinely good while still being competent fighters. I flew through this book in 2 days, and now am eager to try watching the movie again. My only complaint was the occasional slow part, but when the action picked up again it was a pleasure to read.
Larry Hostetler
Sep 07, 2013 Larry Hostetler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
One of the things I appreciate about L'Amour is the geographic integrity of his stories and insight into life in those areas. Unless I missed it, this book didn't have specific geography. It is set north of Arizona (or in northern Arizona) but its location isn't specifically mentioned.

The story itself is one I enjoyed immensely. Sufficient mystery and survival insight without excess violence. The obligatory romance and considerable homesteading info.

Good book.
Jul 20, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am interested in trying more westerns. This genre is new to me, and I am pleasently surprised by the simple stories filled with morality, and pathos and sensitivity I didn't expect.
Lira
Jul 29, 2015 Lira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't help myself... I finished it in almost one sitting. Such an easy read. Love it.
Eric Bishop
Jul 16, 2015 Eric Bishop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An all time.favorite

One classic I read over and over. sparsely written Louis L'Amour got this one right, with character imagery and near perfect dialogue.
Gordon Gravley
Dec 02, 2014 Gordon Gravley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One could argue that if you've read one L'Amour book you've read all of them. But this one is a stand out. A romantic adventure with two very strong characters making due in a harsh corner of the West. Like Hemingway, L'Amour could say a lot with very little. And he knows his subject matter - the West and the people who tamed it - better than most.
Kenneth
Jul 13, 2015 Kenneth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fast paced western action with a heart warming romantic twist. Highly recommended!
Rob
Mar 01, 2014 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book very very much.

In fact, it is one of the few books that I enjoy reading
every year or so.

Like many westerns the story involves conflict between good and evil,
loyalty and dis-loyalty, loss, and overcoming adversity.

Conagher is a pretty straight forward individual that certainly fits
the mythic portrait of the rugged individual who helped settle the american west.

This book has a lot that would satisfy most readers. Good story, interesting characters and challenges, some believable
Lyn
Oct 17, 2015 Lyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a longtime fan of Louis L'Amour's Westerns. He presents the truest authentic record of the Old West that has been so romanticized. Louis's grandfather lived the Old West and told his grandson about it, sparking a stream of stories which live on.

In a Louis L'Amour Western, there is always a bad guy and a hero who is a match for him. And there is always a bit of romance. The hero gets the heroine he deserves and vice versa. I think this winning combination is what still captivates readers who
Laura Verret
Evie Teale’s husband, Jacob had just moved his family to a new home when he up and disappeared, along with the four hundred and twenty dollars that he was carrying with him to purchase stock. Evie is concerned – terrified even, but she is determined that if or whenever he returns, he will not find her idle. So she goes about cultivating their farm, earning money with her cooking, and defending her family from marauding Indians. Will her husband ever return? If he doesn’t, will she and the childr ...more
Sarah BT
Mar 09, 2011 Sarah BT rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this for my adult lit class and I can now say that westerns are no my genre of choice! The story started out OK, but I soon found it a bit boring.

The book starts out with the story of the Teale family. Evie and her children are trying to make it in the west and they happen to be settled near the stagecoach which brings passengers here and there with a small income. This part of the story I found interesting enough, but after a few chapters the story changes from Evie to Conagher.

Conagh
Lnlisa
Mar 04, 2012 Lnlisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Usually the woman in a Louis L'Amour is more of an accessory rather than a main character. Or if she does have an expanded role, her attention is fixed and/or she is dependent upon the hero. I liked this book a lot because the main female character had her own story.

Brought to the far edge of the frontier with two step-children, she is subsequently left alone when her husband disappears/dies. In a world of hard labor and dangerous men, she has to take care of herself and the two children despit
Carmen
Mar 13, 2016 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In addition to being a cowboy story, it's a romance, too. A realistic one. Evie Teale is struggling to stay alive while raising her two children alone on a remote homestead. Conn Conagher is a honest, hardworking cowboy. Their lives are intertwined as they fight the elements, indians, outlaws, and loneliness.
Gypsy Madre
It was a good quick read. I enjoy L'Amour's rich descriptive writing. The plot development is definitely simplified but amazingly complete. He squeezed a big story with some powerful characters into a mere 100 pages (Nook edition). I enjoyed the lingo - a refreshing change from my usual fare.
Scott Lyson
May 16, 2015 Scott Lyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the few moments when he had approached tenderness he had seemed oddly uncomfortable, yet she felt that in his own way that he did care for her. He was simply one of those silent millions who have never really learned how to express what they feel, or somehow seem to find it indelicate to do so.
Jeff Dickison
Aug 16, 2015 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good L'Amour tale of a woman who is abandoned on a small ranch with two step-children after her husband dies, unbeknownst to her, on his way to buy cattle. Conagher is a no-nonsense cowpoke who eventually comes to her aid. Well written, very quick read.
heather
Read it in a two day period when I had time I could not put it down.

a very good book. demanded my attention. if I could change anything about it I would make it a longer story.
Roan
Feb 18, 2016 Roan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the great pieces of literature, at the same time embodying and transcending the Western novel. And certainly at the top of L'amour's output.

It is an exciting book, to be sure, but also a brilliant and touching study of love, compassion and justice. In its skillful simplicity, it touches the heart and reminds us of an often unmentioned, but very real danger of the old West: loneliness. The characters all battle this unseen enemy, each in his own way - whether literally throwing dreams into
Kevin Cooper
Mar 16, 2015 Kevin Cooper rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't waste your $$.

Book not bound correctly. Totally disjointed.
Only got through about 10 pages. Pages jump all over. You won't make any sense of it
Richp
Sep 30, 2015 Richp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a whole,this is a romance. But it is much more a typical Louis L'Amour western than anything else. Western fans know what they are getting, a good if simple tale.
  • Desert Gold
  • Black Jack
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
  • Chip of the Flying U
  • No Life for a Lady
  • Shane
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • Doc Holliday
  • Appaloosa (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #1)
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...

“To be a man was to be responsible. It was as simple as that. To be a man was to build something, to try to make the world about him a bit easier to live in for himself and those who followed.
You could sneer at that, you could scoff, you could refuse to acknowledge it, but when it came right down to it, Conn decided it was the man who planted a tree, dug a well, or graded a road who mattered.”
3 likes