Start by marking “El Vendedor Mas Grande del Mundo” as Want to Read:
El Vendedor Mas Grande del Mundo

El Vendedor Mas Grande del Mundo

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  32,318 Ratings  ·  807 Reviews
Classic fable with principles of how to succeed in the world of sales. A must for every person involved with sales. An easy reader. Known by millions as one of the most important works by Og Mandino.
Published July 1st 2005 by Diana Edit (first published 1968)

At first, I turned away from this book because of the title. I assumed it was a guide to exploitation and hoarding. Actually, it's a spiritual book. There's even a whole chapter on love. But throughout it is also about sales.

pg 88 - 89
Today I will multiply my value a hundredfold.
A mulberry leaf touched with the genius of man becomes silk.
A field of clay touched with the genius of man becomes a castle.
A cyprus tree touched with the genius of man becomes a shrine.
A cut of sheep's hair touched with
Pete Grondin
May 16, 2010 Pete Grondin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book and was surprised. I was expecting a high intensity instruction book on selling and closing the sale. As you all know, or should learn, is that The Greatest Salesman in the World is miles away from that perception. I am reading the first scroll now, and am on day 16. If you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, you should. It's an easy read. It has the potential to change your life.
Marty Ritz
Jun 08, 2012 Marty Ritz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this book for the last 2.5 years, 3 times/day every day. What I thought was good about this book was scroll #1. Scroll #1 gave the secret to changing everything in your life, so I read it over and over and over again. I then read scrolls #2-#10 as a result of reading scroll #1. I read each of them over and over and over again, as a result of reading scroll #1. I've been repeating this process over and over again and what I've come to the conclusion of is this; there is much val ...more
Colin McKay Miller
Aug 15, 2012 Colin McKay Miller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Colin by: My boss
Og Mandino’s The Greatest Salesman in the World starts off fairly harmless—in that vague, Paulo Coehlo’s The Alchemist self-help kind of way—but by the end, I found it rather detestable.

The Greatest Salesman in the World isn’t actually about sales; it’s more of a ‘secrets of success’ book. It centers in on Hafid, a wealthy old man who’s looking to give away his prized possession of 10 scrolls of successful salesmanship to a rightful heir. Each of these 10 scrolls contains a principle like “Pers
Jul 16, 2010 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most inspiring book i've ever read.
This is written by a guy who had the most difficult life, as a travelling salesman, he experienced some serious difficulties and became an alcoholic, lost his wife and became homeless.
He picked himself up, became a writer and achieved huge success.

I was reading it at a very challenging time, when I was selling books door-to-door over a summer at University and I absorbed the principles of the book. It gave me motivation when I was struggling to co
Apr 11, 2009 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW, only 110 pages but not one word was wasted. There is something about these older books that just blow my mind. It was in the 60's and written about B.C. time frame and the principles that were true in that time are still true today. "The secret", "Think and Grow Rich", "Rich Dad Poor Dad", and countless others teach a lot of the same concepts and they are all true!! If you vision it, if you are positive, if you act, if you keep trying, if you give back, ... it well come true.
"Your desire t
Jean Marie Angelo
Apr 01, 2011 Jean Marie Angelo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this book 25 years ago on a business trip to Chicago. Not beverage service, turbulence, nor a thunderstorm could get me to look up from it. I think I read it in a day. The flight attendant asked about it at the end of the flight. "That must be one very good book," she said. It is. Mandino gets pigeon-holed for being an "inspirational" writer, which takes in down a notch in some literary circles. It is a shame. He writes very gripping stories about the spritual truths that we all confront.
Dec 28, 2013 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had lots of great information, but it was told in a story setting that annoyed me. I'd prefer just a list. When the book was written in 1968, Og Mandino was the most widely read inspirational ansd self-help author in the world. He believed that "failure will never overtake you if your determination to succeeed is strong enough." The life lessons were told in scrolls that were opened:
1. Today I begin a new life.
2. I will greet the day with love in my heart.
3. I will persist until I succ
Sonja Arlow
A friend gave me this book and I finished it in about an hour. Its short and to the point however the ritualistic requirements for the practices in the book is not really my cup of tea.

This is one of those “fake it until you make it” type of personal growth books asking the reader to read one chapter/scroll 3 times a day for a month before going to the next chapter. It’s designed to be a meditative reflection on each principle to help you overcome obstacles in your life.

The wisdom each scroll c
Dec 29, 2008 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like hearing a good rock band but being disappointed to learn they are a *Christian* rock band, I grooved to this book until the "Jesus" chorus. Thankfully, Mandino saved it for the last chapter, allowing the reader to get through the great messages and mantras without (depending on one's religious lean) feeling betrayed. Except for the Gospel lesson, this was a great and well-written story that will be like a reference book anytime I catch myself lacking courage, motivation, or laughter.
Julie Eddy
Sep 12, 2013 Julie Eddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Og Mandino's "The Greatest Salesman in the World"

Published in 1968 and still true today. The story is simple, yet fascinating. Mr. Mandino uses a wonderful tale to catch your attention, to teach and, in the end, to blow your mind.

I will admit, I'm not the best at self-promoting. I didn't read this to find any "tips." I heard it was a "good read" by a friend who had just finished my book and thought I would like his style.

What I found were truths that will help one through life. No surprises in
Stu Morgan
Aug 07, 2011 Stu Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to improve something, anything in your life? That usually involves changing habits. This short classic parable has helped inspire many people with a heart warming story and ten scrolls, each with a short but very important lesson. In Mandino's story, the inheritors of the scrolls are told they must read each scroll morning, noon, and night for thirty days before moving to the next scroll. By doing so, the principals in each scroll become a habit. The message is powerful. Want to make a chan ...more
Feb 13, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
There are three books that I read on a yearly basis: "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis, "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens and "The Greatest Salesman in the World" by Og Mandino.

As a profession, I am not a salesman. I have never really been a salesman. That's not the reason to read this book...although it will help you in that field.

What this book does is show you simple steps to take to make important changes in your life to become "The Greatest ____________ in the World." (Fill in the
Sam Funderburk
Aug 16, 2013 Sam Funderburk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An incredible story that contains anecdotes for success in it's pages. The author set the tone beginning with a storyline that sets up his opportunity to put forth 10 daily habits to encompass in your daily work. Then he closes the storyline with a beautiful ending tying it all together.

Strangely enough I came to know about this book while reading a bio of Matthew Mcconaughey on IMDB, who is a famous actor that grew up in my small town of Longview Tx. He stated this book as being one of his insp
It was one of the greatest book that ever read. I'm very excited about the story. The book wasn't only related to the sells. It also contains a lot of wisdom how to improve your life and how to become more excellent in everything you do. I will read that book every year ! Thank you Mr. Mandino.
Aug 19, 2009 Apokripos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To those who really want a positive change in their life
The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino (A Book Review)

“The Greatest Salesman in the Wolrd” is a self-help classic from best-selling author Og Mandino. It’s a tiny book with some powerful principles, written in a compelling, clear style that makes for a quick read.

It tells a story of Hafid’s journey from being a humble camel boy to the titular greatest salesman in the world. How his journey can also be yours. The main highlight of the book is the “The Ten Scrolls of Success” which the
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.”

The Greatest Salesman in the World is the story of ten scrolls that detail how to be a successful salesman. Passed on to those who show they are worthy, the scrolls are full of wisdom.

This wisdom while written for a salesman is applicable to almost anything really. Starting with the importance of forming good habits, the scrolls outline these good habits that are essential to become truly successful.

This book was b
Ashley Reynolds
Jan 04, 2010 Ashley Reynolds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book many, many times. Every time I read it, it's like the first time I read it. Although no book gives greater direction for life than the Bible, this one is incredibly lovely and helpful. It was a gift from my mom when I was younger. She told me to dwell in it's instructions. It's just a beautiful read. I've given it as a Christmas gifts to numerous friends and they've all echoed my sentiments. If you'd like to read it, let me know, and I'll buy you a copy!
Brandon Clay
Feb 12, 2014 Brandon Clay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sales
I have been in sales for over 30 years and read almost ever title imaginable (Check out my shelves with more to add!)

I had resisted reading this book (seemed too trendy at the time to be relevant) until I had my first "commission only" job. The book did not provide me with closing techniques, prospecting methods, or anything that might immediately help me feed my wife and 6 month old.

It did, however, provide me with something infinitely much better...hope! That is hard to quantify, but without i
Mayah Gilmer
Feb 07, 2011 Mayah Gilmer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction

Mayah Gilmer
Freshman English C
Mr. Lynch
The Greatest Salesman in the World, written by Og Mandino, was one of his bestsellers, and sold over 50 million copies. The Fredrick Fell, Inc in Hollywood published it in January of 1968. Mandino was not always a writer. He used to work for the United States Army Air Corps. He flew for 30 bombing missions in Germany during World War II. He them became an insurance salesman because he realized that not many were hiring for bombing pilots. Mandino’s
Omar Halabieh
Feb 18, 2012 Omar Halabieh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is that of a very successful merchant (Hafid), who's success entailed from applying the wisdom contained in ancient scrolls that were passed onto him. These scrolls contain the foundational principles of success for a salesman. What is worth noting is that these same principles apply just as equally to leadership.

The story is very motivational, inspirational, entertaining and educational.

Below are excerpts outlining some of the key principles presented in the book:

1) "Truly many times
Tran Huy
Neil Goldstone
Dec 31, 2010 Neil Goldstone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolutely read this book!
Recommended to Neil by: one of my many mentors
Fabulous book that I have read so many times that I have lost count. Each time I read it, I read it the way it is meant to be read, staying on each "scroll" chapter for 30 days, before moving onto the next chapter, thus taking ten months to read the book. I try to live my life by the amazing tenets handed down for centuries in these ten scrolls. If we all lived by these tenets our world would be a much more loving, peaceful, and wonder-filled place to live.
Karen Jett
Mar 31, 2010 Karen Jett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I selected this book based on the recommendation of a respected colleague. I thought it was going to be just another book on how to sell. When I read the first sentence, I knew that my expectations were wrong.

While this book may improve your sales, its greater message is on how to live your life so that you will be successful.

If this has piqued your curiosity at all, get a copy and read it. It's short and only takes about 2 hours to read, so do it soon.
Steve Lovejoy
Sep 20, 2011 Steve Lovejoy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This motivational "PMA" book is a re-read for me. While I may not agree with all the minor theories mentioned in passing, the overall premises that you and I were created for a purpose; that each of us has value;' that we all need encouragement, goals, and to fulfill said purpose are good ones.
The ultimately positive message is also a help when I am having difficulty with depression.
Avid Reader
Feb 22, 2015 Avid Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Becoming all You Can

The title was misleading but the book itself was exceptional. So much so I'm ordering 6 copies to mail to friends as gifts.

All religion aside since many get offended or have a different belief, the basic underlying premise is a wonderful message for everyone. We have only today. Live as if there is no tomorrow because there may not be. Set your priorities high and proper and stop putting things off. Let things in the past go, learn to express your love for one another and he
Sep 21, 2008 Aram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great story by Og Mandino. The techniques of a great salesman are unveiled here. All chapters are full of knowledge while entertaining. Awe-inspiring story coped with true sales principles and techniques. You'll never expect the ending; it will make you jump out of your chair. A classic, READ IT
Dawn Grace-Jones
This little powerful book reminds us of what we have within and how to tap into it. I must read it again because I read it long ago. The message was so powerful that I would encourage everyone to read it at some point in life. In fact, it should be read over and over again. God bless.
Cindy Onyekwere
Jul 18, 2009 Cindy Onyekwere rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still believe this is the greatest book in the world and anyone who plans on owning a business should invest in this book. It's a short book at first read but if you really want to learn from what you read, it will take you a year to finish the book. I couldn't do it, can you?
Jun 12, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and a couple others were recommended by someone who seems to have good taste in books. I was told this book is similar to The Alchemist and was actually told it may be better. She was absolutely correct, it is a very similar book and I enjoyed it. Both books are set in biblical times and you actually come across events that happened in the bible. The difference between the two is that the Alchemist was more of a story teaching lessons where in The Greatest Salesman actually uses the co ...more
  • Acres of Diamonds
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Developing the Leader Within You
  • The Dream Giver: Following Your God-Given Destiny
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • The Magic of Believing
  • The Richest Man in Babylon
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • Life Is Tremendous
  • As a Man Thinketh
  • The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible
  • Unlimited Power: The New Science Of Personal Achievement
  • Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
Augustine "Og" Mandino II (December 12, 1923 – September 3, 1996) was an American author. He wrote the bestselling book The Greatest Salesman in the World. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. He was the president of Success Unlimited magazine until 1976 and is an inductee of the National Speakers Association's Hall Of Fame. ...more
More about Og Mandino...

“I will live this day as if it is my last. …I will waste not a moment mourning yesterday’s misfortunes, Yesterday’s defeats, yesterday’s aches of the heart, for why should I throw good after bad?”
I will live this day as if it is my last. This day is all I have and these hours are now my eternity. I greet this sunrise with cries of joy as a prisoner who is reprieved from death. I lift mine arms with thanks for this priceless gift of a new day. So too, I will beat upon my heart with gratitude as I consider all who greeted yesterday’s sunrise who are no longer with the living today. I am indeed a fortunate man and today’s hours are but a bonus, undeserved. Why have I been allowed to live this extra day when others, far better than I, have departed? Is it that they have accomplished their purpose while mine is yet to be achieved? Is this another opportunity for me to become the man I know I can be?”
“I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy. ” 100 likes