Old Poison (Dangerous Ground, #2)

Old Poison (Dangerous Ground #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,564 ratings  ·  130 reviews
Previous Book: Dangerous Ground

Happy Birthday, Taylor! Taylor has pretty well recovered from his shooting, but not everyone is happy to see him reach his next birthday. Does a cobra pickled in a bottle of wine means someone cares enough to send the very death -- best?
Published 2011 by Just Joshin

To ask other readers questions about Old Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Poison

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDivide & Conquer by Abigail Roux
Best Gay Cops/ Security Guards/P.I.'s
48th out of 555 books — 837 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie Sexton
Favorite Gay Couples
124th out of 1,701 books — 2,181 voters

More lists with this book...

Ingela
Written September 8, 2014

3.8 stars - A luxurious gift, old sins and tender words - whole-cozy!

Book #2

Old Poison is the second part in the audiobook Volume #1 - Armed and Dangerous: Four Dangerous Ground Novellas.
I liked the serie start in #1 - Dangerous Ground (3.7 stars) and started to listening to this second book as soon as I finished the first one.

As I wrote in my last 100% update to the first book: Ohmygodiloveeverythingwrittenbyjoshlanyon !!

***********************************************...more
Susan

Josh Lanyon's series are so easy to consume. I've found that as one-offs they're just ok, but read as a whole, they're really entertaining and the characters so likable.

"Old Poison" was a much better read than the first book "Dangerous Ground". Will and Taylor are settling into their relationship...and even the insecurities and questions that exist between them in this blossoming pairing make this the book I can better connect to emotionally.

The storyline, which also gives us a glimpse into Tayl...more
Natasha
Happy Birthday to Taylor!
SPOILERS BELOW.

In this book it’s Taylor’s birthday and it starts with seemingly a very sweet, loving gesture by his boyfriend, William. Awwwww. Turns out, William is actually quite the wiener. He says things to Taylor like how he wishes they didn’t start off a relationship. Like, c’mon. That’s a little mean, isn’t it? Taylor has seemingly dropped his playboy ways and is nothing is not completely committed and willing to create a life with William, mostly to suit William’...more
Ilhem

Taylor and Will come back with more substance and I like the couple. The intrigue is okay but its resolution relies on something that I found a little hard to buy.
Still, well done and overall enjoyable.
Jimmy Hanson
So this is the second installment to the Will x. Taylor "Dangerous Ground" novel[ette?:], and I was disappointed. Seriously.

I mean, I wanted very badly to love Josh Lanyon - I can't even count how many people have freaked out when I say I haven't read [much of:] his stuff. But this ... this is kind of why.

The relationship between Will and Taylor is just too - HARD. They struggle every second of it and it just seems like bloody torture. It doesn't even seem like they even LIKE each other. There's...more
Chryssa
*3,75 to be exact!*

I really liked this short story which has certainly improved a lot compared to the first!
The romance between Taylor and Will develops but in earnest I just cannot believe Will saying that he loves Taylor while he has straying what-if thoughts for his former lover, when he must work with him on a case...
And Taylor....what can I say for him other than he is my favourite in this couple? Loyal, true to his feelings and always the one fighting for his life! Bad juju, karma? I feel...more
Lori K
9/14/11
Re-read
I'd forgotten how much these books focus on David Bradley.

(view spoiler)...more
Tina

Old poison? What does that mean?

Take a cobra pickled in a bottle of Sake (iiiieeeeh), an odd message written in Japanese characters, a crazy widow, an attempt on Taylor's life and a Japanese lover who committed suicide eight years ago...

...what do you get?

Old Poison!

Like the first book of the Dangerous Ground series 'Old Poison' was an entertaining read. Now to book three... :)
Karen
I'm really enjoying rereading these books it's surprising how much I remember but also how much that I've forgotten about. Looking forward to the next book, getting that much closer to #5 the one I haven't read yet.
Emma Sea
Really enjoyable: complex characters and ship. Taylor is a magnet for mortal injury and general trouble. I assume it will be Will's turn in the next book. Let's find out . . .
Fani
I'm not convinced Will sees Taylor seriously enough and it's ruining the series for me. I'm stopping here for now.
Kati
Liked it much better than part 1. The plot itself was quite interesting and I was glad to see that everything wasn't simple and perfect for Taylor and Will after their little adventure in the woods. It was also great that we learned more about Taylor and his past, about the years he had spent in Japan. I do hope that there will be part 3!
Ami
A nice and light read; with recurring character from previous novella DANGEROUS GROUND. We see glimpse on how Taylor and Will continue their life after becoming more than just partners. I'm not particularly care about the cases that they are both working though :)
Jenre
I must be the only 'Fanyon' who wasn't that fussed about the prequel to this book: Dangerous Ground. Don't get me wrong, I liked it, thought it was well written and liked the characters of Will and Taylor, but I wasn't too bothered about reading another book about them and it certainly didn't incite the amount of rapture in me that I've seen from other fans. I'd rather have a seen a sequel to Cards on the Table to be honest. Despite this, I picked up this novella and prepared to be entertained,...more
Trix
I was pleased that Old Posion picks up where Dangerous Ground left off but for some reason... it also gave me the feeling of watching a TV shows... getting an episode per book. It's not a bad thing, just feels segmented off.

But other than that, there was still that edge of adrenaline and mystery, though in slightly smaller measures this time (towards the end of the book). I liked that the personalities and past of each character was further presented as well as another glimpse of what each feels...more
Nic
Continuing the story of Will and Taylor, we start to learn a bit more of Taylor's past when something comes back to haunt him. We also learn that he was adventurous (I had to look up 'butterfly board'!) although no real details are provided. This is a relatively short but fast moving story.
Nina
The mystery was far-fetched, Will had a real asshole moment and some things could have been developed more... but I can't help but love those two!
(Josh Lanyon fangirl moment #65256764355)
Deeze
Catching up with Will and Taylor was good.

The story though short was still full.

A slow build with an exciting climax.

But still not up to Adrien English standard.
Jon
Once again, writer Josh Lanyon outdoes himself. In the follow-up to Dangerous Ground, Special Agents Will Brandt & Taylor MacAllister return again in yet another roller-coaster ride of suspense, thrill & tough-guy romance. Though partners and best friends for three years, everything recently changed during a weeklong camping trip and their love for each other boiled over. Now, Taylor and Will are trying their hand at a real relationshsip not based just on hot sex.

When a mysterious bottl...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I really enjoyed this story because I liked Will and Taylor in Dangerous Ground and seeing how things developed after the first book was really interesting.

The writing is amazing, I'll never stop saying it. There were moments that were told as if in slow motion, where you could really see how the story played from the eyes of the protagonists. Will and Taylor have still some issues to work over and they try to do it like people in real life do: step by step, with misunderstandings, leaving some...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
No one writes a better mystery or suspenseful adventure as well as Josh Lanyon. This story was full of romance, mystery and action -- all accomplished in just a little over 100 pages. Will and Taylor from Dangerous Ground are still together and finally ready to admit their love.

When incidents begin to happen to Taylor, his past work in Japan, seems to be involved but he refuses to speculate on it and outright refuses the possibility to Will. What happens next is bound to make you hold your brea...more
Trish
3.5 Huge Josh fan and this one was ok. I wish I didn't wait so long b/w the 1st book and now to read Old Poison. I sort of forgot details in Book 1 as well as forgetting the characters. (It's either waiting too long or senility :P)

So b/c of that fact, I didn't feel 100% connected to Will and Taylor. They were written very well had some good chemistry but for me they were missing a layer, which may have been something from the 1st book that I just don't remember.

The mystery was pretty good and I...more
Elsbeth - I want Marco back too!!!
Well, better than book 1, but I'm still not very enthusiastic!!! I actually don't like Will. Taylor is far too good for him. and I didn't buy the story. Not quite believable!!
Susan65-Coug
I held off reading this for some reason but, now I am back to loving Will and Taylor again. I will be going straight onto book three but I've heard that book four is a toughie.

Taylor is a kinky bastard and I love him to pieces. But a butterfly board? Really Tay? I am not in to sado-masochism so I had to Google the butterfly board to understand exactly what it was. Ouchie.

Will is getting there...I understand his concerns, they are very legit, but you have to live in the here and now. He is finall...more
Simon
I like these characters. They remind me a little of Ty and Zane from the Abigail Roux "Cut and Run" series (which I really must re-read. These stories are novellas however, but could so easily have been stretched to full length novels. Action and Adventure, Gay protagonists. hat more could a boy ask for?
4 x stars.
Book Utopia
3.5 stars, actually. And how frustrating is it that we can't have half stars here on Goodreads?

I didn't like this as much as the first book, though it was still entertaining. The pace wasn't quite as smooth as I've come to expect from Lanyon, with the primary focus for over half of the story on the doubts and feelings of Will and Taylor. I still like both men, though, and the final third is action-packed and exhilarating, making up for the initial slower pace by a wide margin. Not a keeper, but...more
Linda-Grace
Argghh David Bradley he annoys me in this book when coming on too a man in a relationship and Will grrr he let that kiss happen, he still wanted him in a way. Only redeeming thing was he didnt let the kiss go further. I keep asking myself since i know what happens in the other 2 books why did Will say to Taylor you mean more to me than the job, eh duh maybe not! and maybe in a way leading David on. I think Taylor has more too loose in this relationship. i still like the couple though i do think...more
Morgana
Read on February 22, 2013

Listened to the audiobook on August 25, 2014.
Still like it and yes, David Bradley still annoys the hell out of me. Thank God he doesn't appear in book 3. After (view spoiler) I need a break from more DB drama. Now on to the next one.
Deanna also on Leafmarks because I miss Marco
I like these two guys and how they interact in all ways. To me this is not a stand-alone, but should be read after the first book in the series. Not much of a mystery. Real focus is on relationship. David Bradley prominent in this story. Maybe will have a series of his own.
Goodreads Feedback: Discrepancy between My Shelf and Book Page 10 100 May 20, 2012 11:04PM
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • L.A. Bytes (L.A., #4)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Inland Empire (Taking the Odds, #2)
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Black Cat Ink (Bellingham Mysteries, #3)
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • Unspeakable Words
  • A Matter of Time (A Matter of Time #2)
  • Deadly Wrong (Deadly Mystery, #2)
  • Cover Me (Cover Me, #1)
  • Not My Spook! (Spy vs. Spook, #2)
A distinct voice in gay fiction, multi-award-winning author JOSH LANYON has been writing gay mystery, adventure and romance for over a decade. In addition to numerous short stories, novellas, and novels, Josh is the author of the critically acclaimed Adrien English series, including The Hell You Say, winner of the 2006 USABookNews awards for GLBT Fiction. Josh is an Eppie Award winner and a three-...more
More about Josh Lanyon...
Fatal Shadows (Adrien English Mystery, #1) The Dark Tide (Adrien English Mystery, #5) A Dangerous Thing (Adrien English Mystery, #2) Death of a Pirate King (Adrien English Mystery, #4) Fair Game

“So, tomorrow night. My house or yours?"
"Mine. I...want to show you something."
"Oh yes?” Will said hopefully, suggestively.
There was a smile in Taylor's voice, but he sounded absent. “Will?"
"Right here."
There was a pause. “When I was shot—"
Will's heart quickened; he wasn't even sure why. “Yeah?"
"It wasn't because of you...turning me down. It wasn't because my mind wasn't on the job."
"No?"
"No. I know—at least, I think I do—that you thought you were somehow to blame for me getting nailed. It wasn't anything to do with you.” He heard Taylor sigh. “It was when I saw how young they were. Kids. And I hesitated. I hesitated a couple of seconds too long. That's all."
Something inside Will relaxed, like the clutch of a child's hand on a balloon. The balloon went sailing free and happy.
(...)
He couldn't even explain why he felt so happy. “You think I'm with you out of guilt?"
"No, you ass. Of course not. I just mean—"
"You're a nut, MacAllister. I'm with you because I love you."
There it was, out. Three little words. Three of the most common words in the world, but string them together and they were more powerful than any warrant, any extradition papers, or even treaty. Stronger than any magical spell. Had he really never said them aloud to Taylor? Something in the ringing silence that followed made him think he maybe hadn't.
It was a relief when Taylor said, at last, in that irritable voice that always signified nerves or great emotion, “That's fine. I just thought you should know."
"I love you,” Will repeated firmly, having got the hang of it. “I'll see you tomorrow night, you lunatic."
"Love you,” Taylor said tersely and hung up.
Taylor stared at the receiver in its cradle and then got ready for bed.”
4 likes