Start by marking “School Days (Spenser, #33)” as Want to Read:
School Days (Spenser, #33)

School Days (Spenser #33)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  5,166 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
Lily Ellsworth--erect, firm, white-haired, and stylish--is the grand dame of Dowling, Massachusetts, and possesses an iron will and a bottomless purse. When she hires Spenser to investigate her grandson Jared Clark's alleged involvement in a school shooting, Spenser is led into an inquiry that grows more harrowing at every turn. Though seven people were killed in cold bloo ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Random House Audio Publishing Group (first published 2005)

Kemper
Spenser gets hired by the grandmother of a teenager accused of being one of two kids who went on a shooting spree in their high school and killed several of the students and teachers. The grandmother is convinced that he is innocent despite being caught at the scene and giving a confession to the police. When Spenser starts investigating he finds that everyone involved, even the kid’s parents and his lawyer, just want to get him put in prison as soon as possible.

I didn’t remember a lot about thi
Delta
Mar 20, 2017 Delta rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I tried to get into this story, but Parker's writing style is so boring. Even highly interesting sections are deflated from the repetitious sentence structure. Plus, after about the mid-way point the story start to feel like a soap opera or telenovela with it's twists and red herrings.
Gloria Bernal
Feb 08, 2017 Gloria Bernal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual we enjoyed this installment of Spenser's adventures. My husband and I are reading as many as we can lately. Fast, easy reading, keeping us entertained with his wit, roving eye, and sense of humor.

As he is hired by a wealthy older woman to investigate whether her grandson was innocent or not of involvement in a school shooting, Spenser is nothing if not thorough. With only Pearl (his girlfriend Susan's German shorthair pointer at his side, he methodically pursues more information from a
Bea
Sep 05, 2012 Bea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lily Ellsworth does not believe that her grandson Jared Clark is guilty of the school shooting, despite the evidence and his confession. She is a grand old dame who has money to hire the best. She chooses to hire Spenser.

Spenser is not entirely convinced of Jared's innocence but, during the investigation, he runs into police, school officials, and even the boy's parents who all seem to want Spenser to stop looking into the shooting and leave things alone. Spenser is determined to get to the bott
Brent Soderstrum
Jan 12, 2017 Brent Soderstrum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In book 33 of the Spenser series Parker takes on issues like Columbine. Kids killing other kids in a mass murder rampage by two boys. We learn what was going on at the school that played a part in the kids shooting spree. There was rumors in my high school when I attended of some of the same stuff going on. The next step wasn't taken as was here though.

Spenser is hired by Grandma to prove Jared innocent. Wendell was caught and said the other shooter in a ski mask was Jared. Jared was arrested an
Joe King
Apr 16, 2017 Joe King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better from the later books. This was basically all Spenser. No Hawk, no Vinnie and, thankfully, very little Susan. There was not a lot of action, but what action there was, was good. The story was compelling and fairly timely as it deals with school shootings and sex scandals. All in all a good read.
June Ahern
Robert Parker is an entertaining author, and that's why his books continue to sell. As one reviewer noted, the stories are all the same, predictable - except for the murdered & victims, and town setting. True, but it's for Spencer (PI) and Jesse Stone (small town chief of police) (the main detective/sleuths) we, Parker's fans)come back for more. The books are easy reads and perfect for a lazy day, before sleep (don't even have to figure anything out) and/or a plane ride. Pick one up. Enjoy. ...more
David
Mar 29, 2011 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
At last, a Parker novel that's more about actual detective work than displaying one's level of male hormones, well.. almost..

This time, Spenser is hired to investigate a Columbine-like shooting by the grandmother of one of the shooters. Though he is in custody and has confessed to having a part in the crime, she doesn't think he is guitly and wantsSpenser to prove it.

Spenser sets about in his usual break-all-the rules manner and soon has everybody in the whole town pretty much ticked off at hi
Jerry
Feb 11, 2016 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading “Days” was for us bittersweet as this 33rd in Parker’s original 39-book Spenser series concluded our reading of that entire bibliography. {We are indeed reading the extended set written by Ace Atkins however…} The plot seems all too familiar these days, as two high school kids decide to enter a somewhat exclusive school and seemingly randomly shoot and kill several students and a teacher for no apparent reason. Both killers are captured and destined for at least life sentences if not the ...more
William
I just choose this book from the list of 30-odd "Spenser" books by Robert B. Parker. I remember reading them 20 years ago when I did a lot more airplane travel, before laptops and ipods and cell phones.

I also remember moving quickly past Parker to the grittier Elmore Leonard. Spenser was too damn perfect. His sidekick Hawk is able to leap tall building in a single bound, and both of them can beat anyone in a fight. His girlfriend is perfect. Their stupid dog, Pearl, is perfect. It was just too
Chowhound88 (a.k.a. Ralph)
Another great one! I was not disappointed. All of Robert B. Parker books are great. He is by far one of my favorite authors.
Ardaaydin
Oct 28, 2014 Ardaaydin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not sure about this book since its a series.What i mean is this is one of the Detective Spenser's book series.Its not the last one or the first one, so i kinda question it but i really liked this book afterwards.
Spencer the main guy is a detective and its on a case of school shooting.Grandmother of an teenage Massachusetts boy hires Spenser to unrevial the secret of Shooting in his school. Before i bought this book, we know lately there were a lot of school shooting.So this book gave me mo
Tom
Dec 19, 2016 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Liker pretty much all of RBP's books, the dialogue is usually sparkling and fast-paced. Spenser's investigating a school shooting, and the entire town seems to want it to go away as quickly as possible. The plot had a solid push to it that propelled the whole thing forward. But I found myself thinking that Spenser's gotten so arrogant and condescending towards pretty much everyone and everything. No one's good enough or would have made the same decision as he and Susan would have. And ...more
Metagion
Jun 14, 2014 Metagion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
School shootings are, unfortunately, happening more and more every day. A shooting in the small town of Dowling, Massachusetts brings Spenser to find out if the teenagers that did it: Jared Clark and Wendell Grant--had really done it and for what reason. Apparently Jared Clark's Grandmother doesn't believe that her grandchild really did it, and she needs Spenser to find out the truth, even though it looks like an open-and-shut case...but the more Spenser gives, the more things aren't as they see ...more
Marti
Mar 17, 2015 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two boys shoot up a high school near Spenser. Susan is off down South doing some graduate work, so it is up to Spenser and Pearl to solve the case. THere was a case years ago where a woman teacher claimed to be in love with a young student--and later married him. Here, it is a guidance counselor--who must need some guidance herself--and what turned out to be a 14 year old retarded boy whom she was trying to adjust.
Holli
One thing be can be said about Spenser, he has an interesting life. Every time he gets a case, it opens a door to insanity. The books are still kind of repetitive, but I like Spenser and his humor. It's always interesting to see what he's going to do with some of the dodos he has to deal with in the midst of his investigations.
Cindy
Dec 14, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spenser investigates a school shooting on behalf of one of a pair of teenagers, both of whom survive and confess, and he becomes invested, as he does, in the why and how of their crimes. No Susan or Hawk but a few of the usual supporting cast. interesting twist to the story.
Denise Westlake
Oct 19, 2014 Denise Westlake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
335 delightful large print pages! I love Spencer... he's a guy I'd always want on my side.
Mike Carpenter
May 12, 2017 Mike Carpenter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one of the better ones of the series
Susan
May 21, 2017 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent !
Karen
Feb 22, 2017 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parker
Simon McDonald
At this stage, I’ve read so many of Robert B. Parker’s Spenser novels, but at the same time, not nearly enough. Whenever I read one of these hard-boiled mysteries I’m astonished as to why Parker didn’t make more of a name for himself outside of the United States. He deserves his comparisons to Chandler, and Spenser is unquestionably worthy of a place in fiction’s ‘Top 10 Private Investigators of All Time.’ School Days is further validation of these plaudits.

When two students in ski-masks execute
Dee
Feb 19, 2017 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Two teens shoot up their school and kill several people. They both confess, the police, the community, the families all accept that they are going to jail for a long time. Spenser gets hired by a grandmother who doesn't believe it. He keeps hitting dead ends, even when talking to the two young men. We know Spenser....he can't leave it without the who, what, where, when...and WHY? A good story.
Steve
Feb 21, 2014 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another Robert B Parker book and another character to explore to go along with Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall, and like those two Spenser is in the same mould. He is a private investigator and has an errant spouse in Susan but like, Jenn and Richie they still feature in the lives of their other halves, can’t live with them can’t live without them. But Spenser has been called to investigate one of two boy who blew a fuse and shot to death a number of students and teachers at a local school, Do ...more
Brianna
Feb 10, 2017 Brianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book based on the idea of investigating a school shooting, in theme with another book on my shelf. I had never read a book by this author or in this series.
I thought this book was very monotonous. Even when exciting things were happening, the writing and tone of the book was very one note and nothing stood out to me.
It was also hard to connect to because it felt like there was a lot of refernces to things I just don't know, either from popular culture of from previous books in the
Kia
Jan 24, 2015 Kia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spenser is back in a school shooting case. There are two kids charged with the crime, but only one of them was in the room with guns, dead bodies and a ski mask when the police burst in to arrest them. That's Wendell Grant. The other kid is Jared Clark. Jared's wealthy grandmother comes to Spenser to reassure herself that her grandson isn't guilty. She will accept no other version of the facts. Spenser doesn't promise to find out that he isn't guilty, but does promise the truth.

This seems to be
LJ
SCHOOL DAYS (Private Investigator-Massachusetts-Cont) – VG
Parker, Robert – 34th in series
Putnam, 2005 – Hardcover
Wealthy Lily Ellsworth hires Spencer to uncover the innocence of her grandson, Jared. It's not going to be easy as he has confessed two being one of two boys responsible for killing seven people in a school shooting. As Spencer becomes involved in the investigation, he feels there's something missing and no one has asked why Jered might have done this.
*** Once again, Parker demonstrat
Mark
Well for a change it seems mr. Parker does write the occasional who-dunnit this this it is more of a why-dunnit.
The subject of the novel could not be more current, two teenagers shoot up a school. One of the teenagers dissappears and the other one surrenders. After that he kind of points out the other kid and he too gets arrested and admits to his deeds.
Enter the grandmother of the second teen who wants to hire Spenser to prove her grandson was innocent. Spenser sets out to do so but in the proc
Jeff
Jul 24, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid outing with tough Boston private eye Spenser. The formula is a little different the some of the others I had read. This time our favorite PI has been hired to look into a spree shooting at a private school. Two teenagers have been arrested for the carnage and Spenser has been hired by one of the accused's grandmother to prove his innocence. Unlike some of the other books, Susan is out of town at a conference and with the exeception of a few phone calls, she is not in the book at al ...more
Dale
Oct 22, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A throwback to the early days of 'Spenser'

This edition of Spenser reminded me of the early days of the series - the days before Spenser would assemble a gigantic posse of bad guys and policemen (ie, Potshot) in order to get the job done. Thankfully, this one is also basically Susan Silverman-free (not that I mind Susan, it's all of the repeated conversations about their relationship - it just gets old!)

Unfortunately, School Days is also Hawk-free, so the experienced reader of Spenser books wil
  • Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1)
  • Boston Noir
  • Indigo Slam (Elvis Cole, #7)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Spenser (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1)
  • God Save The Child (Spenser, #2)
  • Mortal Stakes (Spenser, #3)
  • Promised Land (Spenser, #4)
  • The Judas Goat (Spenser, #5)
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • A Savage Place (Spenser, #8)
  • Ceremony (Spenser, #9)
  • The Widening Gyre (Spenser, #10)

“Well, I give you credit for optimism,” 0 likes