Start by marking “Inner Harbor” as Want to Read:
Inner Harbor

Inner Harbor (Chesapeake Bay Saga #3)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  24,301 Ratings  ·  467 Reviews
Phillip Quinn has done everything to make his life seem perfect. With his career on the fast track and a condo overlooking the Inner Harbor, his life on the street is firmly in the past. But one look at Seth and he’s reminded of the boy he once was….

Phillip intended to fulfill his father’s dying request and considered Seth to be a duty. He never expected he would grow to l
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published February 28th 2005 by Brilliance Audio (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Inner Harbor, please sign up.

Lucinda Elliot OK, pushing aside those who rushed to answer this question, I'll answer it myself, as I got hold of a copy from the library.
The short answer is, no,…more
The short answer is, no, it isn't a rape,because this tiresome man does ask for her consent after he's 'shanghied' the heroine and taken her to the deserted cove of romance. He does say, 'Tell me you don't want me' etc. Her reply is evasive: 'This will only complicate things'.
Still, he is rough and overbearing enough for me to find the whole scene disturbing.
It's interesting that Regis mentions that the scene has been 'reviled'. If so, it can't have been on the web, as I could find no mention of this particular scene in discussions on the novel. (less)

Final rating: 4.75/5 stars

Sometimes it's really hard for me to write a review for a book. But I really loved this one and I just don't have enough words to express it. I'm starting to really love Nora's writing and the emotinal level she is able to wring out of a person. This series is dark - it's about people with really, really horrifying pasts, but they have been saved and given opportunity to live their lives to the fullest. And to save the last person their benefactor wanted to help. It's w
Jul 28, 2008 jenjn79 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers / Nora Roberts fans
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series / favorite author
Of the 4 Chesapeake Bay / Quinn books, this one is my least favorite. Not because it's a bad book. It's really not. But just because of a matter of personal tastes.

Inner Harbor features Phillip Quinn, the 3rd troubled boy taken in by Stella and Ray Quinn when he was a teenager. Before they'd rescued him in, he'd been a street thug who ended up with bullets in his chest in a drive-by shooting. But Ray and Stella changed his life, gave him a future. When Ray died and Seth became partially his resp
Jacob Proffitt
This one continued my steady progression of liking each slightly better than the last. It also carries on the series tradition of having a quirk or two that was at least mildly off-putting for my enjoyment.

I ended up liking Philip more than I expected to. I'm not so much a fan of urbanite pretty-boys with expensive tastes. I knew that going in so I was braced. Fortunately, he's much better than the other books lead me to expect, though he is, yes, an urbanite pretty-boy with expensive tastes. He
Laura V.

Decepción. Desilusión.

No me gustó el romance. No funcionó para mí. El principal problema es Sybil, seguramente esconde muchas cosas en su interior y se entiende un poco, pero no hace que me caiga bien. El romance es frio, no tiene gracia. Ella entra en la familia Quinn con dobles intenciones y yo no puedo perdonarle su ingenuidad. Es una farsa de profesional, nadie que estudie el comportamiento humano puede ser tan estúpido para no diferenciar una broma juguetona entre hermanos, o peor aún,
Brenda (b)
Oh it's wonderful. I loved this one too. These are not 3 cookie cutter stories where everything is the same in all the books. Each has it's own way of telling the story even though they all focus on the theme of family. Each brother gives up something from his lifestyle to find that connection with family and Seth. And they all find that they're happier because of it. IMO, it's a good conclusion to the mystery of Seth's parentage and the resolution of his guardianship. I enjoyed the romance betw ...more
Feb 07, 2015 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, kindle-own
I loved Chesapeake Bay Saga series and I was caught up with the overriding question: How is Seth related to Ray Quinn? Finally we get an answer to that question and Phillip Quinn meets his match in Sybill. It was wonderful to watch Phillip, the urbane, sophisticate, fall for the analytical, distant Sybill. She reminds me a lot of Bones from the TV series. I could just hear her when Sybill went all analytical on Phillip. Her repression of any emotions when faced with a very emotional situation wa ...more
The main thing I object is, cliché. Am I that stupid? Yes, I am. I really enjoy romances, quick light fix of alpha male and alpha female, just it’s hard to find an intelligent romance. But it is. Most of them are so badly written, that every time when I see so many 5 stars, I think about the readers and the old lady and her cats metaphor. Don't you have any whatsoever criteria if you rate THIS book 5 stars?

Why do they have to be so transparent? Quick fix doesn't necessarily need to be shallow a
Jun 03, 2016 78sunny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ich habe dieses Mal ein kleines Experiment gewagt und gleichzeitig zum Buch auch das Hörbuch gehört. Gerade bei dieser Reihe kann ich mich nicht recht entscheiden, was ich besser finde, da jede Art ihre Vorteile hat.

Dies ist der 3 Teil der Quinn-Saga, um 4 Brüder, die ihren Adoptivvater vor kurzem verloren haben. 3 der Brüder sind bereits gestandene Männer, aber der Jüngste (Seth) ist erst 10 und nun müssen sich die Älteren um ihn kümmern. Dafür geben sie vieles aus ihrem gewohnten Leben auf, a
Jane Stewart
As a stand-alone book, it was lacking, but it was good because it finished unresolved issues from the first two books.

The Chesapeake Bay series includes four books which tell a continuing story about a family. Ray and Stella Quinn adopt three troubled boys who came from abusive homes. In the first three books the boys are about 30 years old. They left home, have good jobs and are single. Stella died several years earlier. In the beginning of the first book Ray took in another boy, 10-
Alex is The Romance Fox
I have become so familiar with the characters in this series and the more books I read the more I have fallen in love with these 4 amazing guys. . I have been along on the Quinn brother’s journey to becoming a strong and close family since the sudden death of their adopted father, Ray Quinn and it feels as if they are now my friends, who I care for and want to ultimately see happy.

The 3rd book tells the story of Phillip Quinn, the sophisticated, stylish, and gorgeous advertising man, that likes
*Buddy listening with Blacky <333*

Six months has passed since the first book Sea Swept. This is Phillip's, the urban and sophisticate brother, book.
Like the other two books this book revolve around Seth's guardianship and even though Philip and Sybill romance isn't my favorite of the series, all the things related to Seth keeps it a favorite of mine.
Jun 28, 2015 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
me están gustando todos los libros de la saga muchísimo, los 4 hermanos son maravillosos con una niñez complicada... una familia estupenda. Me encantan
Lucinda Elliot
I was impressed by the strength of the writing in the prologue, where Phillip is shot on the streets by his own gang by accident: - 'Philip Quinn died at thirteen'. I even flinched at this exchange between mother and son: 'Why the hell didn't you just die?' 'I don't know,' Phllip said calmly, 'I tried.'

I don't associate forceful writing generally with romance, because it doesn't want to deal with the ugly aspects of reality, being light reading, and I read on, fascinated.

I was disappointed that
I was really into the romance at the beginning. Phillip and Sybill just worked for me; their dynamic and the way their jobs and lives kind of seemed to fit together and complemented each other. But then it all kind of fell apart right around the time Sybill's true identity came out. I wish that had been handled differently. A lot differently.

If these books had just been about the three brothers and how the Quinns took them in at an early age and now they're all grown up, etc. etc., I would've lo
In the penultimate book in this series, Phillip Quinn meets his match in the form of Sybill Griffin, a woman who has secrets of her own. Once they're revealed, the Quinn family is justifiably wary of her motives as her presence in their lives ties directly to their brother Seth and their determination to keep him with them.

Whenever I read trilogies, it's inevitable that the character I'm most intrigued by is the one who get's his story told last. (I'm referring to the brothers here since Seth's

I have completed my first Nora Roberts' trilogy. That in combination with the two J.D. Robb books I've read leads me to review the author and not just this book.

For my taste and opinion (nothing personal), I think this author is overrated. Oh, I'll probably read more since she's one of my best friend's favorite authors.

However, here is what I don't like. First, her villains are too evil in a shallow two dimensional way. I like to understand why villains are the way they are, get into their he
A escrita? Sem nada especial a apontar, continua a ser simples e permite uma leitura fluida.

O enredo? Este é o livro em que mais coisas se descobrem, em que conhecemos o passado de Seth, o motivo pelo qual o velho Ray o quis adoptar, é portanto, o livro de todas as revelações.
Continuo a adorar o toque da magia sobrenatural. O fantasma do Ray dá um toque de humor à trama e os encontros deste com os Phillip são bastante hilariantes.

As personagens? O bom desta saga é que todas as personagens têm pe
Jan 30, 2012 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inner Harbour is the third of the Chesapeake Bay series by Nora Roberts. Phillip, the third Quinn brother to be taken in by Stella and Ray, has come about as far as possible from the teenage thief who did drugs and prostituted himself: he’s now an urbanite, a respected executive in a Baltimore advertising firm. But he’s spending his weekends in the village of St Christopher on the promise to look out for the latest Quinn, Seth DeLauter as well as helping out in the new boat building business, Bo ...more
Mónica Silva
Mar 25, 2013 Mónica Silva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Neste livro seguimos a perspetiva de Phillip, um dos jovens problemáticos adotados por Ray e Stella Quinn. Agora adulto, é um homem bem sucedido, carismático, moderno, pragmático e algo resmungão. Confesso que nos volumes anteriores considerava esta personagem demasiado fútil e superficial mas não podia estar mais errada! Por detrás desta máscara de requinte, encontra-se um homem gentil, meigo, com uma capacidade surpreendente para perdoar
Jul 11, 2016 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second favorite of the Quinn Brothers novels (Ethan’s being my favorite). Nora Robert’s best skill is creating characters and complex family units that feel real, and this series is no exception. I liked this more in-depth look at Philip, and I also liked his romantic interest, Sybil, even if she is a bit cold and shut down for most of the book. Nora also does a great job pulling us into the setting, giving us a more clinical look at small-town life through the eyes Sybil, an outside ...more
Jul 28, 2014 Aideeeee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No sé si mejoró la historia o es que me enganché... el caso es que a pesar de simplón, a veces incoherente y en momentos inconcebible, éste libro es el más digerible (hasta ahora).

Pero bueno, yo me quedo con Ethan en el segundo libro y ya estoy dando saltitos porque lo segundo mejor que la tranquilidad de Ethan, es el temperamento de Seth.

Y nada, sólo me queda reiterar que se necesita un buen nivel de hormonas para soportar tanto cliché.
35 estrellas. Por fin descubrimos la verdad sobre Seth. He de reconocer que me olía algo así. La parte del secreto esta bien, lo que me ha fallado en este libro es la parte romántica.

Sybil y Phillips no han terminado de conquistarme, puede que ellos den muchas vueltas a las cosas y sean menos pasionales, que sus hermanos.

Ahora sólo me queda el libro de Seth para terminar con los hermanos Quinn. ¡Que pena me va a dar terminar esta saga!
Barbara ★
Phillip Quinn and Sybill Griffin have an interesting and often argumentative courtship. Sybill is a psychologist and a write which plays both for and against her in her dealings with the Quinns. Technically this is the conclusion and it does nicely close up the ongoing conflicts with the Quinn family. However, Nora Roberts surprised us all by writing a fourth book, about Seth, of course. As he has been the glue which held all three books together. I can't wait to jump into Chesapeake Blue.
Nov 16, 2015 Brianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2015, romance
I'm a big fan of Roberts because all of her books deal with something different and her characters are different too.
I think I should reread the whole series pretty soon, but since I've reread this particular book at least four times, I'm gonna say it's my favorite. I can't explain it, but I love Sybil and Phillip and I especially love them together.

I think Roberts is a good author to start with if you're interested in romance (have I already said this?) and if you're a pro then you've probabl
Lisa Kay
Another 4 star read from this series, IMHO. Yes, the first one is the best (mainly b/c Phillip is a bit of an asshat toward Sybill in a few scenes - one deserved and one crucial time, not deserved - with not enough groveling later); however, a five star rating system makes it difficult to differentiate the subtle difference in ranking. I continued to enjoy Guy Lemonier’s narration of this saga of the boat-building Quinn family living in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland. And, finally, some answers abo ...more
The Quinn boys must be four of the most amazing men ever immortalised on paper.

This is the last in the original Chesapeake trilogy (Seth's story was added on later, making it a quartet) Roberts wrote the series in the order that the boys came to Ray and Stella Quinn, the wonderful couple who adopted three lost boys and gave them a new life, and in Inner Harbour we see Phillip's story.

Unlike Cam and Ethan, Phillip didn't suffer horrific abuse at the hands of his mother. She tried, but he soon lea
Jan 26, 2016 Katrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora Roberts presents the final novel in the captivating trilogy of three brothers who have come together in a time of need. They honored their father's wish to raise young Seth as their own. And with all of the brothers home again the Quinn family has never been so strong. But in the months to come, their strength is tested---once again...

Phillip Quinn had done everything to make his life seem perfect. With his career on the fast track and a condo overlooking the hint Harbor, his life on the st
Nov 22, 2015 Liba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Philip was a petty thief once, now he is in advertising and keeps the books for his brothers's boatyard.He likes luxury ,good food,but now his free time is full of Seth.
Sybill, a psychologist, is Seth's aunt, Gloria's sister.She is very reserved, feels unloved.She is also over-achiever.She really wants to help her nephew and finds it hard to believe Philip's story about her sister- a vicious, jealous, money-grabbing liar and drug addict.
Gloria continues to ask for money from everyone- the Quinns
Heather Victoria
Apr 19, 2011 Heather Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts
WOW! What can I say about this story??.... I have cried more in the story of these three men and this blessed little 11 year old boy than I have creid in my entire adulthood!! This story has showed me that you dont have to be blood related to be a family. Love, TRUE love is what makes a family. I have laughed and I have cried!!! Now to the fourth and final installment that is the 11 year olds story and I cant wait to see what that story has instore for me!!!!
Nora Roberts Grou...: Inner Harbor Feb. 2015 Book of the Month 36 25 Feb 27, 2015 11:56AM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Imitation in Death (In Death, #17)
  • Mackenzie's Pleasure (Mackenzie Family, #3)
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • Angel's Peak (Virgin River, #9)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

Chesapeake Bay Saga (4 books)
  • Sea Swept (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #1)
  • Rising Tides (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #2)
  • Chesapeake Blue (Chesapeake Bay Saga, #4)

“Up to this point your life has pretty much sucked. You’re not responsible for that. But you are responsible for what happens from here on.” 15 likes
“Phillip look into Ray's eyes. He saw compassion and hope. And he saw himself mirrored back, bleeding in a dirty gutter on a street where life was worth less than a dime bag.
Sick, tired, petrified, Phillip dropped his head into his hands.
"What's the point?"
"You're the point, son." Ray ran his hand over Phillip's hair. "You're the point.”