Start by marking “The Orpheus Deception” as Want to Read:
The Orpheus Deception

The Orpheus Deception (Agent Micah Dalton #2)

CIA cleaner Micah Dalton returns for another go-round of international espionage, government cover-ups, and high-intensity pursuit that has cemented this series in the best of spy fiction.
The Orpheus Deception opens with a breathtaking assassination attempt on the rainy streets of Venice that sets CIA agent Micah Dalton on a collision course with a vengeful Serbian warlo
Audio CD, 15 pages
Published March 27th 2008 by Penguin Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Orpheus Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Orpheus Deception

Larry Lange
Enjoyed the book but it did not hold my attention as long as I would prefer. It is different enough from the typical spy thriller that I will read the next one.
Rob
Apr 03, 2009 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Borrowed this book from an officemate who said I have to return it Friday, because somebody is going to pick it up from him Saturday. So I read it in one lunch break and overnight.
This is the second book in the Micah Dalton series, sequel to The Echelon Vendetta. In the first book, David Stone, a pen name used by a former intelligence officer, introduced Micah Dalton, a CIA cleaner, but his job does not involve the use of a broom and mop. Book summary and other reviews have cleaner in quotation
Daniel Powers
Sep 01, 2009 Daniel Powers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A unique read in the espionage genre. The author interweaves the paranormal so well into the main character that sometimes you are unclear where reality ends and the supernatural begins. It is a fresh look at your typical spy novel. I really liked his cynical take on modern pop culture: the indictment of style vis-a-vis his description of young American and European tourists on page 173 had me laughing shamelessly. He also paints the current Asian cultural revolution in less than flattering but ...more
Raymond
Jan 12, 2016 Raymond rated it it was amazing
My wife and I grew up in the Calumet region of extreme North West Indiana so it was interesting that the spectacular events of this novel culminate in that area near Chicago.
We had training during our cruise that passed near Somalia so it was amazing to read about the way the crew of the refurbished tanker handled a pirate attack near the end of the novel. That tanker had survived a pirate attack at the beginning of this novel and the events imagined take the reader from such as Florence, Venice
Raymond
Mar 13, 2015 Raymond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sesh
Dec 08, 2008 Sesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A surprisingly enjoyable read. I thought it was going to be another yawn inducing "thriller" with single-page "chapters" but it turned out to be very engaging. The interesting thing is the author is using the name "David Stone" as a cover - he is apparently some kind of enchilada in the intelligence community and doesn't want to reveal himself. (No picture of him obviously.) But his writing does ring true, and his language is ... dashing. He could be British or have some British connection - I c ...more
Annabelle
I was excited to read this after Stone’s first book about CIA cleaner Micah Dalton. But there was less of Dalton in this book, and it had many preposterous plots. There were really no mysteries. I guess there was a mystery of how to tie evidence of a terrorist attaches to the port of a Chicago to a Serbian mafia guy, but we knew from the beginning did this. There are a couple of sociopaths that we have to spend a lot of time with, and many gruesome deaths, and time in Singapore, DC and Venice. T ...more
Mikeegan43
Feb 18, 2011 Mikeegan43 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay; I'm claiming credit for books 2,3,and 4. Couldn't find the first in this series of Micah Dalton in the library. Great read; very real in terms of operational stuff. Good tactics, techniques and a realistic look in the covert shadow wars that are often played in the back alleys of the world.

Semi-serious as you can definitely see/recognize some of the political characters.

But this book is mostly for action junkies, who enjoy fairly complicated espionage plots.

Plus there are bonus references
Greg Lang
Oct 08, 2012 Greg Lang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series by David Stone. Action, mystery, plenty of plot twists, very likable characters and enough diabolical villains to keep you gripped with suspense. The stories take place in some of the most exotic places in the world. Since I have been to many of those places, I can tell that the author has been there as well by his descriptions. I would recommend this series to anyone who loves books that are impossible to put down and walk away from.
Lois
Feb 23, 2010 Lois rated it liked it
Still great dry lines in dialogue and descriptions, but the story line is more fractured than the first one, which weakens this book. Porter Naumann's ghost figures less in this one, too, which is too bad. I can't think of a thriller with a paranormal element -- although they're probably out there.
Momm
Dec 02, 2010 Momm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follows up the Echelon Vendetta. With Micah Dalton CIA fixer fleeing for his life.
He goes to Singapore to help free Ray Fike from prison and to solve the mystery of the missing tanker (taken by Serbs).
Dale Deoraj
It was a real struggle to get through to the end. Nothing happens for the first 500 pages and then all the exciting and action packed bits are squeezed into the last 30 pages. I only finished this book because I started reading it.
Mhd
Tried to read it; didn't get far enough to feel I should even rate it. But I can't seem to get past the lengthy debates that Dalton has with his dead partner. Interesting spy craft. Very twisty. Will keep trying more of David Stone.
Nick
Apr 02, 2008 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a decent book. The author took a a few to many cheap shots at the Clinton administration and the left in general for my taste. It is fiction after all. If you can ignore that it was not bad and better than most international spy thrillers.

Aaron
Nov 24, 2014 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Pretty decent story with good pacing. The structural elements seem a bit week and unrealistic, would the CIA or NSA really operate in this manner? Putting that aside this is a fun audio book to listen to with a mediocre ending.
Roderick
Looked forward to it, as follow-up to Echelon Vendetta. Starts adding interesting details and opinions about US counterintell. & different Presidential administrations. Once again, easy to read, lots of action and subplots.
Carlos
Mar 14, 2010 Carlos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Orpheus Deception is the first novel I've read from David Stone. Unfortunately, I found this story too long winded and it took forever to grab my attention and keep it.
James
Jul 04, 2013 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this sequel. A big read with lots of fun action. Read it from Kobo so not sure of actual length. Some of it was a little far fetched but really...who cares?
Ken Jones
May 10, 2010 Ken Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a different twist on the save the world hero. To really enjoy this book, would suggest you read the first book The Echelon Vendetta.
James
James rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
Steve Cichon
Steve Cichon rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Jonathan Moss
Jonathan Moss rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2015
S
S rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2012
Edie
Edie rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2014
Brent Derry
Brent Derry rated it did not like it
May 30, 2013
Darci
Darci rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2012
Eric Johnson
Eric Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2012
Bpp531
Bpp531 rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Mel Meckler
Mel Meckler rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2012
  • Joshua's Hammer (Kirk McGarvey #8)
  • The Last Run (Queen & Country, #3)
  • Devil's Keep (Bravo Cell One Nine, #1)
  • The Ransom of Black Stealth One (Aerospace Systems, #1)
  • The Scorpion's Gate
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain, #6)
  • A Spy by Nature (Alec Milius #1)
  • Christopher's Ghosts (Paul Christopher #10)
  • Soul of the Assassin (Larry Bond's First Team, #4)
  • The Amateur Spy
  • The Kobra Manifesto (Quiller Series)
  • An Accidental American: A Novel
  • The Lisbon Crossing (Jack Teller, #2)
  • Never Look Back
  • The Coil (Liz Sansborough, #2)
  • Body of Lies
  • 36 Yalta Boulevard (The Yalta Boulevard Sequence #3)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)

Agent Micah Dalton (4 books)
  • The Echelon Vendetta (Agent Micah Dalton, #1)
  • The Venetian Judgment (Agent Micah Dalton, #3)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)