Start by marking “Finding Danny” as Want to Read:
Finding Danny

Finding Danny

Twelve-year-old Bree Davies is devastated when her beloved Border Collie, Danny, goes missing after her mom leaves the gate open to their Santa Monica home. In her search to find Danny, Bree is thrust into the world of animals in need. With the help and guidance of animal rescuer Rayleen, Bree's heart is opened to the plight of the dogs in the downtown Vox Street shelter.

Published May 11th 2010 by Walden Pond Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Danny, please sign up.

Abigail Lee I read it at 11 and really enjoyed it! I think it would make a great read-aloud for any ages. As for reading it on your own I would say basically as…moreI read it at 11 and really enjoyed it! I think it would make a great read-aloud for any ages. As for reading it on your own I would say basically as soon as their able to read chapter books like Magic Tree House.(less)

Katie A
Oct 02, 2013 Katie A rated it liked it
I write my reviews in the 5 different categories: Cover/Title, Characters, Plot, Suspense, and Overall. I rate each of these categories 1 to 5, (5 being i loved it, 1 being i hated it). SPOILER FREE REVIEW

Cover/Title: 5 out 5
I love the illustration of Danny. It is very well done and ties to the story perfectly.

Characters: 4 out of 5
Bree was a nice and caring person. I loved the she cared for animals deeply. I also liked Rayleen. I thought she was bubbly and a good mentor for Bree. Now this may
Kenzie Carlson
Mar 16, 2014 Kenzie Carlson rated it it was amazing
My review on this book is it was a great read for young readers and people who like the heart filling stories. This book is very well written and has a very good plot. The only thing I do not like about this book is that how the mother was an airhead about the whole thing. The part I like the most about it is when she's on her way to see if it's Danny. She was very polite about this tragedy.

This is the best story I have read about a dog going missing. I also had this connection with this book b
Karen & Gerard
Nov 06, 2011 Karen & Gerard rated it it was amazing
This is a book about a young girl named Bree. Her parents are super busy so they decide to get her a dog to keep her company. She names the dog Danny and they get along famously! One day her mom makes a mistake and leaves the gate open and Danny gets away. Bree sets out to find Danny and winds up helping many other dogs How you ask? You will have to read this book to find out. It's a wonderful story. I read it in two days and loved it! Give it a chance and you will too!
(Gerard's review)

Finding
CourtneySheeran
was super good!! totally recommend it
Brandon Stump
Apr 30, 2015 Brandon Stump rated it really liked it
Miyang
Jun 06, 2015 Miyang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was wonderful. For a middle grade novel, I am more than impressed. The meaning behind the book is so much more than losing her dog. It's about a girl growing up and realizing that change is constant. I definitely look at animal shelters in a whole new way and when I am older, I will certainly adopt. The author portrayed this story beautifully. I had a smile on my face throughout the book. "The only thing in life that's constant is change." "You must be the change you wish to see in the ...more
Susan
Sep 07, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grades
I loved this book! It's a feel-good, well-connected story about a girl who lives in a wealthy neighborhood near the beach in California. Her parents are both in the news business, and that often takes them away from home. They bought her a little border collie that she named Danny to fill her hours when she was along. Not only is it a dog story deluxe, but it also delves into family dynamics among the upper socioeconomic echelons, and it has a strong subplot about the plight of abandoned animals ...more
Audrey
Mar 31, 2012 Audrey rated it it was amazing
This book is an awesome choice for people who really love animals and want to help them. I'm not going to give a lot away because I really want you to read it, but basically it's about a girl who loses her dog Danny and then realizes with some help of two very good freinds that she could help other dogs with no homes. It's a really great book, I hope you can read it. I've read it like, a million times without getting tired of it myself:)
Mercedez
Jan 28, 2012 Mercedez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, cute, sad, uplifting
Faith
Mar 31, 2012 Faith rated it it was amazing
All Bree wanted was to find Danny. Instead she found the world of animal shelters. Maybe she could find homes for all the red-listed dogs.

Reasons why I like this book-

Reason 1- There are dogs in the story.

Reason 2- It educates people about what happens in animal shelters.

Reason 3- I couldn't stop reading.
Lea
Apr 20, 2011 Lea rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs, middle-grade
Great story about a young girl who loses her dog and finds the world of shelter/rescue dogs in the search for her beloved Danny. Heartwarming, positive story as the girl struggles with her parents, friendships, boys and making new friends while changing the world one dog at a time.
Anna Carmel
Apr 28, 2013 Anna Carmel rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my dog and we both absolutely loved it!!!!!!!!! I felt a lot of feeling when she ran after the dog that she thought was Danny, but it was really someone else's. My dog snuggled up extra close to me when the girl and her dog were reunited.
Ncaylee
Jan 27, 2017 Ncaylee rated it it was amazing
This book really put you into your feeling it has you on the edge of your seat the whole time! If you love dog stories I fully recommend it! Once you pick it up you will not be able to put it down! That's how good it is! I recommend reading it!
Jan
Oct 06, 2011 Jan rated it really liked it
Bree's parents are busy with their careers, so they buy her a dog to keep her company. When he runs away, 12-year-old Bree's search brings her to a new group of animal-rescue friends. Girls who love animals will love this book and its unlikely happy ending.
Megan
Oct 25, 2013 Megan rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful story. I finished it in 6 days. I almost cried at a couple parts but overall this was an amazing book of stray and shelter dogs and a 12 year old girl working to hard to save them all and find hers. <3 <3 <3
Heather
Nov 03, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Cute story
Maddi Couture
Apr 25, 2012 Maddi Couture rated it it was amazing
This a good book for people whoa re in the mood for a heart touching story about a girl who loses her dog and meets new friends along the way
Allie Kleine
Jan 02, 2013 Allie Kleine rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's kind of sad though
Bryan
Sep 24, 2012 Bryan rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good book. Although there were some parts that weren't that interesting. Overall it's pretty good.
Naiomi
Apr 19, 2016 Naiomi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
When I was 9 years old, I picked up this book and finished it in a few days. After that, I haven't stopped reading.
Rylee
Jan 30, 2012 Rylee marked it as to-read
A need to read
Jane
Jan 02, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
Finding Danny was a great read. The relationship between Bree and her mom was realistic and spot on.
Tatum
Nov 26, 2012 Tatum rated it really liked it
So this book was super good. It doesn't have a sad ending like most dog books do so I recommend it to people who like dogs but not with sad endings!

~KatTris

i love it so fair
Mary
Jul 16, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, realistic
A cute dog, a girl with lots of creativity and a quirky new friend who connects her with a dog shelter--whats not to love?
Lian
Dec 04, 2012 Lian rated it really liked it
So loving and caring.
Kody Paredes
Jan 29, 2017 Kody Paredes rated it really liked it
I liked this book! It was pretty decent. I would recommend this book to 5th-7th graders! I don't know if I would read this again, but maybe! Overall, good book.
Karen Arendt
May 04, 2011 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, animals
What a wonderful, sad, uplifting story. Bree's journey to find her missing dog, Danny, leads her to her first love, a new friend, and adoption of lots of dogs!
Elise
Apr 11, 2012 Elise rated it it was amazing
this book is one of the books you'll never put down!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Did you like this book? 2 5 Mar 23, 2013 07:24PM
  • Just Grace and the Double Surprise (Just Grace, #7)
  • Strawberry Hill
  • Franny Parker
  • Word After Word After Word
  • A Million Miles from Boston
  • The Naming of Tishkin Silk
  • Class Clown
  • Storm Warning (Dog Whisperer, #2)
  • The E.L. Konigsburg Collection
  • Calli Be Gold
  • Everything for a Dog
  • Tango: The Tale of an Island Dog
  • Bulldog Won't Budge (Pet Trouble, #4)
  • Emily's Fortune
  • The Dancing Pancake
  • The Trouble with May Amelia (May Amelia, #2)
  • A Dog's Way Home
  • The Dog Who Belonged to No One
Linzi moved to the US as a young adult- and has lived in Santa Monica with her teenage daughter, Jordan, for many years.
She has been in the trenches of animal rescue for seven years and has personally rescued hundreds of dogs. She is the Executive Director and Co-founder of The Forgotten Dog Foundation, a non-profit organization that is dedicated to rescuing, rehabilitating and re-homing dogs in
More about Linzi Glass...