Start by marking “Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover #5)” as Want to Read:
Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover #5)

Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover #5)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  6,569 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Fifth Book in the Magic Kingdom of Landover series

Former Chicago lawyer Ben Holiday was proud and happy. And why not? The Magic Kingdom of Landover, which he ruled as High Lord, was finally at peace, and he and his wife, the sylph Willow, could watch their daughter Mistaya grow.

And grow she did - shooting through infancy in months, learning to walk and to swim in the same
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 29th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Witches' Brew, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witches' Brew

Riana
The King of Landover's daughter Mistaya is growing up - fast. Ben Holiday doesn't yet comprehend the talents of his once-fairy child. However, his almost forgotten enemy Nightshade understands it far too well. And unknown lord suddenly challenges Ben for his throne, and in his effort to keep his daughter safe, she is mysteriously kidnapped. Meanwhile, Abernathy and Questor Thews grudgingly find themselves into some familiar surroundings.

The character of Mistaya is almost just too perfect and wi
Parcoast
Again, this book has so much more to offer than the previous books in this series. The only part that seemed like a hack was the ease with which Mistaya was subverted in the beginning. It isn't in keeping with her character, and makes the rest of the story, which I thought was very well done, feel contrived. Also, while I have complained in the past about introducing unrelated new characters, adding a new protagonist in this book seemed natural and not at all distracting to the past characters o ...more
Matteo Pellegrini

Ben può finalmente regnare in pace su Landover. La sua sposa, Willow, regina degli Elfi, gli ha dato una figlia, Mistaya, una bambina dolcissima. Ma ecco incombere una nuova, terribile minaccia. Rydall, re delle terre che si estendono al di là delle nebbie magiche che avvolgono Landover, rapisce la bimba e lancia la sua sfida: un combattimento con sette invincibili campioni. La posta in gioco è altissima: Mistaya, sua figlia, e Landover, il suo regno. Ben accetta, non sapendo che i suoi avversar

Scott Holstad
I'm not sure what to think of this book. This is the fifth book in the series and I loved the first one so much, I've wanted to read all of the others. And most have been decent -- but not as good as the first one.

In this one, Ben Holiday and Willow's daughter, Mistaya, is growing at an astounding rate. She's two, but looks 10 and acts 15. In other words, she's a spoiled little bitch and entirely unlikeable and I didn't like this about the novel. And it centers around her, for the most part, so
Bonnie
The final (until the next one is written) book in the Landover series! I couldn't believe how disinterested I was in Ben and Willow's storyline. I wanted to spend much more time with Nightshade and Mistaya or Abernathy, Quester, and Elizabeth. Maybe that's because I feel like Willow and Ben have gone about as far as they can go as characters. They do reveal some very personal secrets to each other in this book, but they're always accepting of each others' (mostly Ben's) faults. Mistaya, on the o ...more
Brooke Banks
This book is on par or better than the fourth book, Tangle Box. The fourth book was better, though still flawed, than the boring dismal second and third books.

I was correct about my predictions about Abernathy in my review for the 4th book. He is now again a dog but I still feel that he'll be back to his original state at the end of the series. There's only one book left, The Princess of Landover, which I will read next to find out the end.

It's no surprise that Nightshade came back to reek havoc
Books-treasureortrash
Book Review: 3 Treasure Boxes

Mistaya, the new daughter of King Ben and Queen Willow is now two years old, but because of her unique heritage she looks like she's ten year and acts like she's twenty. When a strange challenger comes to threaten Ben, Mistaya is sent to her Grandfathers for protection with Questor and Abernathy, the only problem is they never arrive. Instead Mistaya is abducted by Nightshade after she banishes Questor and Abernathy to Ben's old world.

This is the fifth of six books i
Elizabeth Barone
Jun 18, 2011 Elizabeth Barone rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of knights and dragons fantasy, Terry Brooks fans
Recommended to Elizabeth by: my old boss
I love reading the Landover books during the summer. For some reason, it's just perfect.

It took me a few days to read Witches' Brew, mostly because I like to take my time with any of Terry Brooks's novels, but also because I went away for a few days and spent most of my time just enjoying being away. It's not at all a hard book though, and all of the Landover books are a much easier read than any of the Shannara books.

Witches' Brew is probably my second favorite in the series. I really enjoyed t
SaraJayne
I love the first few books of this series. This one, however, was a huge let down. I still enjoyed being transported to the world, and having these characters in my life for awhile, but the plot left much to be desired. The whole time, it felt like all the major characters were far stupider than usual. (view spoiler)

I think Terry Brooks, in this Landover series, usually keeps som
Dark-Draco
This was never my favourite story in the series, but this time round I must have found something appealing in it as I enjoyed it a lot. In this one, Ben has finally brought peace to Landover and is looking forward to just watching Misty grow up...except that she is very unusual and doesn't seem to be growing up in quite the normal way. But thoughts of fatherhood are put on hold when a mysterious challenger arrives at the gates, claiming to be a warlord from beyond the mists, who wants the kingdo ...more
Derek
Insurgent is written by Veronica Roth. This book will draw you in for a great story. Insurgent involves many genre types, like suspense, violence, romance, and mystery. To me, this book describes things as if they were real. For example, Tris is not always brave; she struggles with doubt, taking risks. The main characters, Tris & Four try to stop Jeanine from attacking the Abnegation faction. Many obstacles come in their way. Will they stop Jeanine, or will Jeanine defeat them?
Anna
Landover is getting stale. It's a very small world built on a lovely pretext, but it feels that the main characters never evolve or acquire any depth. Any sympathy I might have felt for Nightshade upon learning her story is canceled by the fact that she never redeems herself and her demise (if in fact she did..demise) was anti-climatic. In Tangle Box, possibilities were opened up but never developed. I would like to see some of the characters grow out of the limited roles the author has put them ...more
Gemma
I think I'm having a review burnout lately...

It took awhile for this one to get going, and I never really did warm up to Mistaya. She was too...precocious. She just knew everything, and she only went along with the grownups' wishes because it was her obligation, and she was just so special and *raspberry*. It was pretty predictable, even more so than the others in the series. I mean, I KNEW who Rydall of Marnhull was the first time he showed up at Sterling Silver! There was no point in dragging
Lee

Mistaya, on the other hand, gets to hear Nightshade's history, though somewhat edited, a
Rachael Kamm
I really enjoyed this book. I personally think Brooks should have stuck with this as the ending, rather than concluding the series with A Princess of Landover.
Dan
Another formulaic installment in Landover. Lines are drawn, allegiances are made more clear and resolution is found. I get the feeling that Mr. Brooks isn't really trying all that hard with this series. What bothered me most was the blatant time line problems between Earth and Landover. It wouldn't be bad if time progressed differently between the two worlds, but he explicitly said in The Black Unicorn that time in the two worlds progresses in tandem. I'm also confused as to why Mr. Brooks felt ...more
Chris Castonguay
Decent read. Landover novels are fairly predictable and not as exciting as Shanarra. Still fun.
Little Mike
I enjoyed this book, though I wanted to enjoy it more but just couldn't. I was not a very big fan of the Mistaya character. In all honesty, I wanted to strangle the precocious bitch. I also feel that a few of the characters did some uncharacteristic things towards the end of the book, and for that I was disappointed. Lastly, I felt the ending left too much left unanswered. This is the last book of the series and there were a few questions left that I felt required an explanation.
Vicky
Really liked this one. Like Mistaya.
Elizabeth Rausch
I liked it... but is anyone else beginning to feel like the Landover books are becoming cookie cutters of the first? I mean, how many times does Ben Holiday freaking have to find himself??? Does he just get lost that easily??? This book was a good attempt at breaking the 'Ben needs to find himself' cycle, but overall I was simply unimpressed.
Bryan457
I read the 1st 1 or 2 in this series maybe 20 years ago. Usually I wouldn't read one out of order, but I had the audio on hand.

It was just OK. I never really connected with any of the characters. Mistaya had promise, but we never actually got inside her head that much.

Part of this may be due to the abridged nature of the audio book.
Dan Edwards
I've always thought the Landover books were a fun romp, nothing stellar in regards to fantasy but still creative and well-crafted. The story though in this book is overly contrived and predictable, with no clever twists or originality. I hope that the next (last?) book in the series is more like the first three books.
Debbie
Ben and Willow's daughter, Mistaya, matures with abnormal quickness and is kidnapped by the witch Nightshade. Meanwhile, Rydall, King of the Marnhull, challenges Ben for control of Landover. Abernathy and Questor Thews return to Earth, where Abernathy visits Elizabeth, now an attractive teenager.
Askavi
Good stuff! =) This book definitely isn't as good as the Tangle Box, but it's still enjoyable. Even though this series is pretty old, I still want him to write another one that takes place a few years after Witche's Brew so Abernathy can be changed back to his normal self and marry Elizabeth!
Krista
This is the 5th book in the series and I really enjoyed it. I think it helped that I took a couple of months off from when I read the first four books. I read the first four books pretty close together and got sick of the characters. Now while reading the 5th book, it was fun to reconnect.
Doris
This book operates on the premise that a fairy child would grow quickly, which is reverse of all other 'fairy tales' that I have ever read.

That said, it is an engrossing tale of wickedness attempting to overtake and subvert that most precious of things - a childs love for its parents.
Anna
Apr 15, 2012 Anna rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Terry
Oh book, I tried to finish you while being awake, really did...
So lets see, we has a kid who's physically 2, looks 10 and is mentally 13. Reads like the world's biggest Mary-Sue outta Twilight (oh wow, and this is from 1995!)
Landover, I think we're done. Its been fun, but don't call us
Tranylle
Connie
#5 in Landover series. Mistaya found out she had witches power. Nightshade taught her all about her skills and tried to get Mistaya to kill her own father. This was a very good one and I need to read the last in the series to find out how the ending plays out.
  • Robot Adept (Apprentice Adept, #5)
  • Castle Kidnapped (Castle Perilous, #3)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Legends II
  • Deryni Checkmate (The Chronicles of the Deryni, #2)
  • The Treasured One (The Dreamers #2)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...
The Elfstones Of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2) The Sword of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #1) The Talismans Of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara #4) The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #3) Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)