Start by marking “Matters of the Mind: Latter-day Saint Helps for Mental Health” as Want to Read:
Matters of the Mind: Latter-day Saint Helps for Mental Health

Matters of the Mind: Latter-day Saint Helps for Mental Health

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  17 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Early and appropriate treatment of mental illness can reduce much suffering for both those who are afflicted and those who love them. Edited by three notable LDS clinical psychologists, this comprehensive resource will help LDS families have a more accurate understanding of mental illness. It includes chapters on anxiety disorders, mood disorders, depression, ADHD, eating ...more
448 pages
Published April 2nd 2007 by Deseret Book (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Matters of the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matters of the Mind

Chrissy Ciancanelli
Apr 27, 2016 Chrissy Ciancanelli rated it it was amazing
Excellent book by talented, compassionate professionals. Brings much needed hope and awareness to some of the most devastating illness we often encounter in our own lives or those we love. Alleviates suffering and anxiety by offering help and light to some of the most misunderstood afflictions. Great resource and help for every reader.
Janiece
Nov 12, 2014 Janiece rated it really liked it
Broad in scope (yay!) but not so muchin depth. A great addition to dispelling the myths and stigma of mental illness and understanding it from a gospel view point. Found some choice nuggets here. Recommended for everyone. Can be read all the way through or just used as a reference.
Ryceejo
Jul 07, 2015 Ryceejo rated it liked it
Shelves: lds
I would give it a 3.5. I liked the example stories; they illustrated each disorder well. I really did NOT care for the "How Can You Help Yourself?" sections. They really irked me. If I had schizophrenia, I probably would NOT be reading this book! The suggestions were really generic; after going on for six pages about how complicated treatment is, the authors would then make disingenuous suggestions. However, this book is a good reference to have on hand! It explains a lot of disorders in simple, ...more
Dany
Feb 03, 2009 Dany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good book, it's very clinical and has a lot of information. It is from an LDS perspective, but agree's that mental illness can't be prayed and fasted away, and although they agree that Priesthood blessings can ease anxiety, they display physical proof of the differences in the brain of many mental illness'
Russ
Jan 06, 2010 Russ rated it liked it
Good information about mental illness from an LDS perspective. More a reference book than a straight read; still, full of useful information.
Armatstorage
It has some useful information. I recommend it to anyone wanting to understand more of the mind and it's matters(:
Alisha
Alisha added it
Jul 23, 2016
Chrissy Ciancanelli
Chrissy Ciancanelli rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Tabitha Busby
Tabitha Busby marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Loralee
Loralee rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Michele Southwick
Michele Southwick marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Martha
Martha rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Megan Mahrt
Megan Mahrt rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2013
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2012
Betty-ann
Betty-ann marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2012
Camille
Camille rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2012
Danelle
Danelle rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Jazzw
Jazzw marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2011
Lorain Thompson
Lorain Thompson marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Amber
Amber is currently reading it
May 15, 2011
Nikki Repass
Nikki Repass rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2011