Start by marking “O Iluminado” as Want to Read:
O Iluminado

O Iluminado (The Shining #1)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  825,144 Ratings  ·  14,802 Reviews
Jack Torrance, sua esposa Wendy, e seu filhinho Danny estão passando por dificuldades financeiras. Jack, um alcóolatra, já não suporta mais seus lapsos descontrolados, que até certa vez causaram um terrível acidente envolvendo seu filho. Buscando passar por cima disso, Jack e sua família se mudam para o hotel Overlook, onde Jack aceitou o emprego de zelador durante a tempo ...more
Published 1999 by Objetiva (first published January 28th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about O Iluminado, please sign up.

Michele Definitely... just be prepared to not be able to put it down! Most of Stephen King's books are that way, they suck you in and take over your life, but…moreDefinitely... just be prepared to not be able to put it down! Most of Stephen King's books are that way, they suck you in and take over your life, but this one especially.(less)
Sandi Knapp Yes you can. Is the book about the paranormal or the state of mind of the protagonist? You decide. A great book.

Earline
This scene from Friends pretty much sums up my feelings about this book:

"Rachel: Hmm. (she opens the freezer) Umm, why do you have a copy of The Shining in your freezer?

Joey: Oh, I was reading it last night, and I got scared, so.

Rachel: But ah, you’re safe from it if it’s in the freezer?

Joey: Well, safer. Y'know, I mean I never start reading The Shining, without making sure we’ve got plenty of room in the freezer, y'know.

Rachel: How often do you read it?

Joey: Haven’t you ever read the same book
Will Byrnes
Jan 28, 2011 Will Byrnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king
If you have not read The Shining already do not overlook the opportunity presented by the publication of Doctor Sleep, the sequel, to revisit one of the best ghost stories of our time. The appearance of the follow up offers a perfect justification for stepping through those bat-wing doors for the first time.

description
1st Edition cover – Published January 28, 1977 – 447 pps

It has been a lifetime since I read The Shining for the first time, over thirty years ago. I enjoyed it then for its effectiveness in
Nandakishore Varma
Quite simply put, The Shining is the best horror story I have ever read. It scared the hell out of me.

Over a period of time, I have noticed certain standard "motifs" in horror stories. One of these I call "The Lost Child". Such stories will typically involve a child, who can see what the silly grownups cannot see (or, even if they do see, don't acknowledge because it goes against reason and logic): and who fights, however high the odds stacked against him/ her are. Danny Torrance is such a boy.

D
Jeffrey Keeten
Aug 16, 2012 Jeffrey Keeten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, book-to-film
Raeleen Lemay
October 2016
*2.5/5*

Soooo I wasn't a huge fan of this. There were a few things about it that I enjoyed, but overall I found it to be boring and overly drawn out. Also not scary AT ALL which was my biggest disappointment.

October 2015
I'll probably pick this up again someday, but I'm really not in the mood for this right now. Reading Harry Potter alongside this kind of ruined it for me.... Oops.
Stephen
QUESTION: Is Stephen King the BEST PURE STORYTELLER of the 20th Century ?

ANSWER: Who knows...I haven’t got the slightest wisp of the faintest fragment of a lingering shadow of a clue how to answer that manwich-sized question. However, I do think that in order to have a credible debate on the subject, you would need to include the Prince of the Prolific Page Turner in the argument. That says something to me and it got me thinking that there is a lot to like (and even love) about much of King’s wo
Kemper
Even though the film version of this one from Stanley Kubrick is generally considered a horror classic, Stephen King has never been shy about making his dislike of it known. He hates it so much that he was heavily involved in making a more faithful adaptation of it as TV mini-series in 1997. (This inferior version invited comparisons of Stephen Weber from Wings to one of Jack Nicholson’s most iconic performances. So that worked well….)

Considering Uncle Stevie’s longstanding grudge about it, I w
Lyn
Jul 31, 2011 Lyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About as perfect a haunted house story as can be, King was at his best here.

It's as though he built a haunted house and then filled every nook and cranny with detail. King is also at his best in regard to characterization, all well rounded and complete, we know family relationships, group dynamics, all the old hidden buried fears.

King touches base with psychological elements, theological, metaphysical, spiritual, and cryptic aspects of a ghost story to wrap the reader in a blanket of horror.

description
Fabian
Dec 27, 2008 Fabian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
His best book is 'The Green Mile,' but since it doesn't quite fall under the Horror category, it is either 'Shining' or 'Carrie' which take top prize.

There is not one single detriment to this well-known tale of the disintegration of the American family within the realm of the undead. King here is as he has never been since: metaphoric and concise. He usually adds fact upon useless fact that converts a 400 page work into something more gargantuan, &, therefore, less enthralling.

King is not a
Justin
Oct 01, 2009 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old school Stephen King, man. That's where it's at. This is a high point in the King canon for me. In Salem's Lot before this, he developed fascinating characters inhabited a beautifully described small town. He took his time slowly unraveling the story, taking pages and pages to build the setting and deepen our relationship with the large cast of characters. In The Shining, there are basically three characters outside of a small cast of supporting actors. The setting is really just a giant old ...more
Delee
Delee?

Yes Danny...

[image error] photo 1e1983d7-a7ae-44a0-9566-14fb85e0a3af_zps2b991dd1.png

Do you feel bad?

No Danny, I just really hated your performance in the movie version of THE SHINING.

[image error] photo 710720b8-8cfe-467c-b9cf-ef5ea227ea52_zps27155419.jpg

Really Delee?

Yes Danny, I hated it more than anything else in the whooole wiiiiide woooorld.

[image error] photo ba4f97a5-3a57-443a-85d5-fff7629df36b_zps805b97d4.jpg

I know this is supposed to be a review of the novel THE SHINING, and not the movie...but I can't review the book on its own. I tried...I really did.

I first read THE SHINING just before the movie came out on video- some time in the 80s- because usually
Brad
Once upon a time, there was a young man who believed that books were always better than movies. Everyone whose opinion he respected told him it was so, and he believed it must be. And for a time he saw nothing to shake this belief. He read Dickens and saw filmed versions and knew it was so. He read Dumas and no version of Musketeers could shake his conviction. Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, and Scarlet Pimpernel all bore this out. But the young man discovered that it wasn't just the cla ...more
Nayra.Hassan
Jul 05, 2015 Nayra.Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, king
هناك بريق يبهرك. .و هناك بريق يعميك 💥
عندما يتحدث كينج عن القدرات الخاصة ..يجب ان ننصت مليا"..فاعتقد ان لديه شيئا منها
و عندما يخبرنا كينج عن الإدمان. .يجب ان نستمع جيدا
..فقد عاني طويلا من هذا الداء الوبيل
و عندمايحكي لنا كينج عن الفنادق المسكونة..فلنصمت جميعا. .فملك الرعب يخبرنا حكاية جديدة

مدرس لغة إنجليزية حياته تتهدم بسبب ادمانه على الشراب ..يفقد عمله..و على شفا خسرانه زوجته و ابنه
يأخذ نفسه بالشدة
..و يقرر ان يعمل ناطورا لفندق جبلي فخم..يتم غلقه طوال الشتاء..لأن العواصف الثلجية تعزله عن العالم و"
Dan Schwent
Apr 15, 2013 Dan Schwent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2013
Recovering alcoholic Jack Torrance takes a job as caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, bringing his family with him. But can even his son Danny's special gift, The Shining, stop him from going mad and butchering his family like other caretakers before him?

Yes, I'm several decades late to the party in reading this but after reading Joe Hill's NOS4A2, I had to read my first non-Dark Tower Stephen King book in years to see how the old man did horror back in the day. I'm not sure this was such a good id
Scarlet Cameo
Lectura con el grupo PopSugar Reading Challenge en Español

Ya deje reposar este libro bastante, debo tener una opinión fija de él y más siendo lo que muchos consideran una joya del terror...bueno, no tanto así, más bien es un libro bastante promedio. Empezar la reseña con esta línea es ponerme la placa de snob grande, roja y en negritas en mi pequeña frente, pero en realidad no va por ese lado, va por mis propios problemas con King.

Dado que comencé siendo un poco ácida voy a tratar de decir en p
Cecily
King describes my relationship with this book very well:
"His relationship with his father had been like the unfurling of some flower of beautiful potential, which, when wholly opened, turned out to be blighted inside."

My first Stephen King, and my first proper horror novel will be my last. I certainly didn't expect to be bored, but I was. After 338 pages / two thirds of the book, I decided life's too short to waste on books I don't enjoy.

If you want sinister snow, I suggest The Castle instead.
Carmen
Mar 27, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Fans
This inhuman place makes human monsters.

When Jack, an alcoholic 14-months sober, gets offered a job as a caretaker for an old hotel in remote Colorado, he has no choice but to take it. He doesn't have many options - he's been fired from teaching and his play he's been working on is far from finished. He packs up his wife, Wendy, and his psychic five-year-old son, Danny, and waits for the snows to come.

The hotel has a Grudge, unfortunately. And Danny's psychic ability is only feeding the Grudge a
Matt
Nov 22, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He sat down on one of the stools and propped his elbows on the bar’s leather-cushioned edge. At his left hand was a bowl for peanuts – now empty, of course. The first bar he’d been in for nineteen months and the damned thing was dry – just his luck. All the same, a bitterly powerful wave of nostalgia swept over him, and the physical craving for a drink seemed to work itself up from his belly to his throat to his mouth and nose, shriveling and wrinkling the tissues as it went, making them cry out ...more
Jonathan Ashleigh
I don’t read much horror, but gave this a try because I have loved true crime lately. I appreciated how the characters were introduced, but this book probably gained an extra star from me for simply being about Colorado. I loved the set up of the empty hotel, where known events could be pictured by characters in the location where they happened. This aspect made the reality of seeing ghosts more real to my skeptical nature, but it wasn’t enough. I tried to scare myself with this book but was una ...more
Dd
Jul 13, 2013 Dd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Hello Readers.

Have you heard the tale of the Seven Wives of Bluebeard?

Once upon a time there was this powerful noble immensely wealthy.Everyone called him Bluebeard because of his large, ugly blue beard.He had married several times but time and again all of his wives died.No one really knew how.

And then one day he married again.A lovely, young girl.Whenever Bluebeard had to go away, he would give her all the keys of his home.He told her she could use any key to go inside which ever room she de
Maxwell
Oct 04, 2016 Maxwell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-it, 2016
Could've been about 100 pages shorter. The middle section was kind of boring. But the last 20%....WOW. Totally had me on the edge of my seat. I can't wait to watch the film version even if it's totally different. I'm sure it'll be hair-raising. 3.5 stars
Diane
Sep 07, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about The Shining? It is listed among Stephen King's best novels and it was turned into one of the most iconic movies of the last 40 years.

I don't read a lot of horror, but I was interested in this one after learning that the character of Jack was based on King's own struggles with alcoholism. I have an addiction to addiction stories, so I was intrigued.

My husband had also wanted to read The Shining, and he found a nice first edition at a used bookstore. (On the page listing other
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Shining #1, Stephen King
عنوان: درخشان - علم غیب؛ نویسنده: استیون کینگ؛ مترجم: لیلا شاپوریان؛ تهران، قطره، 1391، در 711 ص، 9786001196034؛
عنوان: درخشش - علم غیب؛ نویسنده: استیون کینگ؛ مترجم: غلامحسین اعرابی؛ تهران، البرز، 1378، در 648 ص، چاپ دیگر: تهران، پلیکان، 1390؛ شابک: 9786005915150؛
شاید هم عنوان درخشش بهتر باشد از درخشان، شاید هم تلالو، با اقتباس از همین کتاب، فیلمی در ژانر ترس، محصول امریکا و بریتانیا، به کارگردانی استنلی کوبریک ساخته شده، که جک نیکلسون، شلی دووال، و دنی لوید در آن به
Dawn
I had to wait a week after reading this to write my review. Why? I couldn't fit my computer under my bed with me to type it up.

Fricken terrifying. Terrifying! The entire time I spent reading this I felt sick to my stomach with dread. I was jumpy, paranoid, the whole shamboozle. King really gets into your head with this... He takes you right into the character's subconscious, and as they are slowly driven bonkers, you are driven bonkers right along with them.

Is it sad that even though I knew it
Mario
This inhuman place makes human monsters.

I don't think that I've ever read a book that kept me on the edge of my seat, from start to finish, like this one did. So many times I was scared to turn the page, thinking something like this would happen:

And now that I've publicly admitted to being a wuss, lets get on with the review.

I get why this is King's most popular work, even though I don't think that it's his scariest (I don't think any book will ever scare me as much as Pet Sematary did). But st
Lena
Aug 24, 2008 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I hadn't really realized just how deeply this story is embedded in the collective unconscious until I mentioned to a friend a few years back that my now husband and I were considering getting married at The Stanley Hotel, the Colorado landmark where the movie version of this book was set.

"Are you insane?" she said to me. "You cannot do that. I will spend the entire ceremony waiting for blood to start pouring out the elevators."

We got married down the road instead.
Kai
Apr 03, 2015 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, classics
"The world's a hard place. It don't care. It don't hate you and me but it don't love us, either."

My relationship with horror stories is a weird one. I hate them, but my fascination for them always overpowers that feeling. It may take me ages to pick up a certain book or watch a certain movie but at some point curiosity always kills the cat (and satisfaction brings it back.)

The only Stephen King I've read before is Carrie. I didn't find it either really frightening or exciting, but it was good. A
Will M.
May 04, 2014 Will M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I tend to stay away from the horror genre, because I get scared too easily. I don't watch horror movies or TV shows, because I don't want to be scared when I'm alone in my room at night. I wasn't planning on reading this, but I decided to man up and do so. Overall, I'm more satisfied than disappointed. Also more fascinated than terrified.

The Overlook Hotel is full of mysteries, and Danny Torrance knows about that best. A 5 year old boy who received such a harsh "gift" called "The Shining". Jack,
Joe Valdez
I envy the soul who hasn't yet watched the 1980 film version of The Shining directed by Stanley Kubrick. This may seem an odd thing to covet, considering how terrifying the movie is. Some things you can't unsee and as much as I tried to read the 1977 novel by Stephen King with an open mind, I found myself comparing text to film, discovering elements I wish could've been incorporated into the movie and coming across others I wish the author had omitted at the writing stage.

The third novel by Step
Jason Koivu
Jul 15, 2013 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I would love to get a gig as the caretaker for a remote hotel over winter, said no one after reading this.

The Shining is about...oh come on...If you don't know what The Shining is about by now it's because you've been living under a rock in the back of a cave for the last few decades, and frankly, you've got more important things to catch up on. Here, let me get you started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFSyBB...

The first third of the book provides a great set up to the horror that awaits, eve
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Shining - *SPOILERS* 43 167 Jul 21, 2017 06:02AM
Top 20 Scariest Books 48 483 Jul 19, 2017 05:51PM
Reading Everything by Stephen King 44 120 Jul 13, 2017 08:17PM
Around the Year i...: The Shining, by Stephen King 8 44 Jun 14, 2017 08:54AM
Around the Year i...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Shining, by Stephen King 4 21 Jun 10, 2017 12:31AM
Gruppo di Lettura...: 17° GdL Frahorus - Shining - Stephen King - Maggio 2017 13 29 Jun 05, 2017 06:22AM
EVERYONE Has Read...: The Shining - pre-read 30 160 May 04, 2017 05:27AM
  • Creepshow
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • The Traveling Vampire Show
  • Ring (Ring, #1)
More about Stephen King...

The Shining (2 books)
  • Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)

132 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters.” 788 likes
“Wendy? Darling? Light, of my life. I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in.” 229 likes