Start by marking “The Archer” as Want to Read:
The Archer

The Archer

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  869 ratings  ·  126 reviews
Rocked to the core by traitors and spies, the Organization made an unprecedented move in bringing together six highly trained men to track down one rogue wolf: The Archer.

There are three field agents: one at the top of his game, one hoping to retire, and another walking the line; a cold-blooded assassin who can use any weapon known to man; a demolitions expert who can't
Nook, 576 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Archer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Archer

Richard
Vilda
Rating: 4,5 stars

Omg. Roux sure knows how to make me addicted to her characters... So loved this and the six, no matter how frustrated they made me at times! (And I'm talking frustrated...) This book is full of humor, suspense, love, heartbreak, as well as millions of twists and turns, and I cannot recommend it enough. Read it!

''Will you hold me, Shawn?" Remy asked in a voice muffled by Shawn's skin and the gauze in which Remy had wrapped him after their shower.
"Forever," Shawn murmured into Re
JenMcJ
It is very much centered on the relationship these men build together. There is action and there is suspense and there is sex (not a lot of explicit description all the time, but enough to be interesting and very erotic at times)

The "romance" so far is in how these men relate to each other and make decisions. I would not say that this is not a romantic story at all or that the romance takes a backseat. It drives nearly every decision (good and bad) being made, although all the MC's don't realiz
Devi
Wow. I can't believe I actually finished it. I'm trying to articulate how painful it was to read but I'm not sure I can find the words. It started out okay, but that was the first 200 or so pages. Then the numerous flaws that I had been excusing up until then in exchange for just assuming it was a 'light hearted gay-sex romp about spies' as opposed to a 'taut spy thriller with gay protagonists', became too much to bear. By the end I'd passed through rage and settled for laughing at the ridiculou ...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Mar 06, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Dee
01/18/13: Revised rating after a couple of years of reading m/m: from 5 to 4.

What can I say? Epic!

I like mammoth books with lots of characters. If there were another 600 pages after this, I'd read them right now. I'll tell you: I was ok with the ending because I like open endings, but now I really want to read more! I'm so happy and frustrated at the same time!

The first half of the book was incredible, then it deflated a bit but picked up again at the end. The plot is twisted and since it's abou
Amanda
5 stars

Wow, wow, wow! I loved this book! I should have made a flow chart in the beginning though.

There's really no way to give a summary of what happens without giving things away. I loved how everything was constantly changing and it kept me on my toes. I had to go back and search for things while reading multiple times.

I immediately fell in love with all of the characters. Wally, Trigger, Gizmo, Beignet, Dixie, and Zed. Loved them all, but especially Remy (Dixie). Looking back, I should have k
Mal {Waiting for Immortal}
UPDATE:

Asked Miss Roux some questions about a possible sequel:

There are still some rights issues tied up with that book.

When I asked why there are right issue she replied:

Because I changed publishers and do not intend to go back.
Snowtulip
May 22, 2011 Snowtulip rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Katie
Shelves: m-m
I absolutely loved these six men! This was such a character driven story...they were what kept me going through all the pages. They were a five star read, while the plot was a three star read.

They had me fuming, wanting to inflict bodily harm and laughing(vampires! still makes me chuckle)the whole time I was reading. Normally, their ineptitude at being secret agents, while being touted as the best, would have turned me off the story, but I was so firmly engaged in their interactions.

At about 10%
ElaineY
Forget about what the author herself said about this book not being a typical romance. It IS a romance. Or rather, several romances, each one unfolding at the same time they're trying to kill each other. In fact, from the start to the end, the six - later, seven - men are either fighting or fucking each other. Nine out of ten times, one follows the other. They don't just stick to one guy, either, so it's a free for all even as each develop deeper feelings for one or the other.

THE PLOT
In their wo
Valentina Heart
MostlyDelores
Explosions, musical beds, and a perplexing inability of the world's "greatest spies" to figure out what the hell is going on. Plus, it takes 8 months to read the thing.

What Richard said.
Nicci
Wow. It's been years since a book engaged me to the point I almost started a diagram to keep track of the all events and players.

The group started out as six and it grew to the number seven and if you added the latest victim, semi adopted to the group for protection, we have eight. At the end, we're back to the beginning of six in the group. The end is the beginning.

Take six highly trained, highly skilled killers and put them into a group with very little information, you would think murder ma
Plainbrownwrapper
I'm giving this book 4 stars based on its overall fun readability value. If I was rating on literary merit it would get about 2 stars, and if I was rating on plot logic and consistency it would probably only deserve about 1 star -- maybe less than that!

This book is pretty much like a summer blockbuster. Lots of action, lots of blood and explosions, and it doesn't pay to look too closely at the details. It's sort of like Ty and Zane had bastard children with both "Oceans Eleven" and "The Expendab
Adara
This is a spy thriller that keeps you guessing who the Archer is well into the last half of it. I actually kept track of my guesses at each point something new about the Archer was revealed, and I have to admit that I was continually way off-base with my guesses.

If you're looking for lots of sex between lots of tough assassins, you certainly won't be disappointed, but the story that winds them up together is really engaging and twists and turns regularly. It's a roller coaster of the best kind.
Trish
a really really good spy story with some really hot mm MCs!
The men were an awesome group and the story kept ya on your toes that's for sure.

i had a feeling who the Archer was from a early on but that's only b/c i have some detective dna in my blood! and i was determined to read back and gather my clues :P but, the archer was only part of this story, so much more happens.

these men were scary, sexy, damn funny and a bit clueless as well.. lol!

Brandt was my fave funny man and Remy was fave loyal
It took me forever to read this book and to be honest I'm not sure whether I liked it or not. I feel like I missed a huge portion of information which would make the entire book make sense, but I'm not interested enough to read the book again. I don't mind contradictory actions and even words, but these characters'thoughts had no cohesion.

Remy was the only character that I actually cared anything about and he was basically the pathetic heroine who would do anything for a man who treated him lik
Julesmarie
This definitely ranks up there among the most unusual m/m books I've yet come across (and I've been reading Heidi Cullinan's The Seventh Veil series, so that's really saying something!).

It was sprawling and intricate and complex and filled with characters I didn't really believe and didn't really trust (which was justified, as they ALL are keeping secrets--some of them even keeping multiple different secrets from various different people) and much of what happened was implausible. In spite of a
Wendy Ann
This is the first time I really wrestled with a book rating. This one was so headed for 5 stars, but the ending killed me and that factored into my decision to settle on 4 stars. In reality, it's definitely worthy of at least 4.5 if I could - heck, the angst I had deciding on the rating probably makes it worth that much at least!

The things I loved:
> An excellent action/suspense/mystery plot that just kept me trying to work out the clues to the Archer's identity.
> The story kept alternat
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Mar 08, 2013 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: TJ
This book was outstanding but it took some major concentration on my part to get all the characters straight when I first started reading. There are 6, then 7, major characters and I had some crib notes going for awhile until I got more fully into the story.

There's quite a bit of sex interspersed with the drama and action. In fact, the bed hopping was intense! I never knew which couple was going to be doing horizontal (or vertical) acrobatics next.

The plot was very complex, very suspenseful, v
NannyOgg
Definitely not what I expected - in the good and the bad way.

First 200-300 pages had me laughing and anticipating what will happen next. The characters are funny and crazy (the type of crazy that's fun to read about but wouldn't be so much fun to be with), of which Brandt is my absolute favorite. The plot was interesting and it kept me going despite the disheartening page number. However, what I really wanted to know was who the Archer is and as soon as I found out, it all went downhill for me.
Sean
I absolutely love this book. It ends up on my favorite shelf. I think this is as far as the best book I have read. Sure, it's long but it doesn't feel like the author put too much into it. The author wrote it beautifully well. There are so many things going on in the story. I constantly guessing who was the Archer. I was right when I put out my first guess but sadly, I keep on changing my mind who is the archer and I ended up with wrong person. That rarely happened to me. I usual guess right.

Oh,
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Let me start by saying that this is the book that doesn't end. It felt like I was reading forever and in fact I had only moved a few percent. I was kept guessing as to who the Archer was just about the whole time, well up until the reveal. I laughed and I cried while reading this story. I really hope that at some point we get a sequel. This can not be it for these characters!
Meggie
Sure, this whole storyline is complex and interesting as the reader starts to know every character in author's unique created team. But damn all this sex for sex, no emotions biding them, was simply to much. Sure the guys develop deeper friendship, but damn I didn't like how they had sex without deeper emotions. This wasn't an enjoyable story for me.
Anke
Nov 18, 2011 Anke marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
After buying this book in January 2009, this was the umpteenth try and I have to say, sorry, but that's not my cup of tea. Too confusing, even after managing to put the names on the right men:)
Наталья
DNF at 15%

Не смогла влиться в сюжет. Толпа народу, что где зачем почему..вопросы вопросы..надоело.
Ally
There were some things I didn't like in this book and, for most of my read, I thought it'd be 4 stars, but now, I know I can't give it less than 5 stars.
This book was a son of a bitch, truly. I loved it. I wish there was a sequel. I better start writing what I loved about it before I start crying again.
Since his first scene asking about crossword puzzles I loved Remy, a love that grew way too much, way too fast. I can't describe the motives for loving Remy so much, he was just so strong and h
Stacey Jo
As far as I'm concerned, this is a 6 star book. It will be going on my "Favoirte Books" shelf. I've gushed about this book to anyone who will sit still long enough. This book was Abso-Freakin'-Lutely AMAZING!!! The "who-dun-it" aspect of this book is so much fun!! The author gives little insights from the Archer's point of view so that you have little clues but it could be anyone and it's so much fun to try to figure it out cause it could be ANY of them. It's an extremely well written spy novel ...more
Jac
From reading the reviews, it seems a lot of people had trouble following this book. I'm not sure why, possibly because the lack of specific retribution made it difficult for some to figure out who it should have been aimed at. I think this is a masterful piece of writing. It is complex, twisted, funny and engaging. As for there being major "plot holes", I don't really agree. I think it requires attentive reading to catch each of the silvery threads and bind them together. My initial reaction to ...more
Jaymie
This is probably the hardest review I have ever done. I floated between 2 and 3 stars for a while. In the end I decided that I would give it 3 stars because the last 10% of the book I was very gripped.

This book was very hard for me to get through. I am a pretty fast reader and can easily get through a 200+ pages book in a day but this book being close to 600 pages took me forever. This was the "Never Ending Book" to me. I found myself begging for it to get done (although I couldn't find it in my
Vanyel Kane
OMG - I don't know whether I hate this book or love it. You will certainly have an opinion.

The bad- super spies forget to use condoms. What the?
-No-one knows what the hell is going on. Well there is hints of parts of plot lines that people don't want to discuss and eventually it all comes. Part of the Archer's end game makes no sense but I followed it overall.
-they seem to get together and just react to events happening to them
-also highly emotional and sad, Remy is fun and crazy which I think
  • Warrior's Cross
  • The Slayer's Apprentice
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • I Spy Something Bloody (I Spy, #1)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3)
  • Double Down (Shadow of the Templar, #2)
  • Dark Soul Vol. 4 (Dark Soul, #4)
  • Afterimage (In the company of shadows, #2)
Abigail Roux was born and raised in North Carolina. A past volleyball star who specializes in sarcasm and painful historical accuracy, she currently spends her time coaching high school volleyball and investigating the mysteries of single motherhood. Any spare time is spent living and dying with every Atlanta Braves and Carolina Panthers game of the year. Abigail has a daughter, Little Roux, who i ...more
More about Abigail Roux...
Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2) Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3) Divide & Conquer (Cut & Run, #4) Armed & Dangerous (Cut & Run, #5)

“I could kill you with a pinecone.” 31 likes
“My God, how long would you have let me wander around Prague before you said 'hold up a minute, Helga, this isn't Japan!” 19 likes