Start by marking “Playing The Fat Girl” as Want to Read:
Playing The Fat Girl

Mikyla Dodd

Playing The Fat Girl

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Mikyla Dodd was a chubby child, a fat teenager and an obese young woman. This is the inspiring story of how she made it as an actress in the incredibly size-ist world of TV, overcame her food addiction, and shed nine stone to reach a healthy weight today.
Published by Hodder & Stoughton (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Playing The Fat Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing The Fat Girl

Jo
8th October, 2010

A very touching account of the love hate relationship between Mikyla and food. Her relationship with her father was really sad and I felt so angry on her behalf on many occasions whilst reading the book. I am delighted that Mikyla has now manage to lose a lot of the weight but more importantly that she is comfortable with herself and has learned to love herself. I understand the battle that a large person has with the whole issue of eating and trying not to eat, there is no way
Keryn
A sad story but well written and different to so many of the 'addict' autobiographies as Dodd brings through the whole concept of acting (ie.'playing' in the title) and how her weight affected the parts she was chosen to play in the various performances from child to woman, plus of course her family life which was a big factor in her situation. A good book for anyone who wants to understand discrimination of a different kind. Worthwhile reading.
chucklesthescot
I could relate to this book as I've had to struggle with being obese over the last 15 years. I liked her humour and recognised her 'laughing at herself first' method of survival as I do that myself. Her insecurities run through the book even when she finds success on Hollyoaks. You don't have to be a fan of the series to read and enjoy this book.
Bubblesthefairy
A great insight into the personal life of Mikyla Dodd the actress from Hollyoaks and her up and down relationship with food. I felt that i knew her when i was reading this as i can identify alot with there thoughts and feelings. A good quick read!!!
Toni
Interesting story of a big girl happy to remain a big girl, who got into acting and TV despite her massive size.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Liz
Liz added it
Jan 19, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Krishna
Krishna marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Kirsty Springer
Kirsty Springer marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Shuganthini
Shuganthini is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2013
Georgina Pearce
Georgina Pearce marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Sreevidhya
Sreevidhya marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2013