Start by marking “The Australian Long Story” as Want to Read:
The Australian Long Story

The Australian Long Story

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Mandy Sayer describes a long story as one between 10-50000 words and long enough to have subplots but not long enough to be a standalone book. In this collection, Sayer has assembled the heavy weights of the Australian literate for a compellation that is eclectic in both storyline and execution of its plots.
Seven Australian authors have been chosen begining with David Mal
Paperback, first, 544 pages
Published September 28th 2009 by penguin (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Australian Long Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Australian Long Story

Ljuke
The literary equivalent of a landscape painting. Pleasant, slightly nostalgic and boring as shit. Writing a portrait of life in a rural Australian town is a cliche. The only story I really enjoyed was The Chance by Peter Carey, and Grasshoppers by Elizabeth Jolley was okay.
Banafsheh Serov
Nov 20, 2009 Banafsheh Serov rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of Australian literature
Seven Australian authors have been selected starting with David Malouf, one of the elders in Australian authors and concluding with one of the new rising stars, Nam Le.
The collection is to
Katy Hulme
Some wonderful examples of Australian writing in this collection. That said, I couldn't help but notice the distinct (and at times overwhelming) presence of dark and depressing themes. Whilst I was certainly able to appreciate the high standard of writing from some well-known and other lesser known brilliant writers, it would have been nice to see a broader range of subject matter, extending beyond death and downfall.
Ann
Jan 09, 2010 Ann marked it as to-read
Recommended to Ann by: Caroline gave as gift for my birthday
Given to me for my birthday in December... looks great. Long stories by some of Australia's greatest writers.. Nam Le, David Malouf, Helen Garner, that prat Tim Winton, Peter Carey etc...
Will begin when school goes back where my workload only allows me to read little bits for leisure.
Lisa
An interesting, well-chosen collection, representative of the best contemporary Australian writing. See http://anzlitlovers.wordpress.com/201...
Jane Stewart
Jane Stewart marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Dillwynia Peter
Dillwynia Peter marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Sarah D
Sarah D marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Tara Mahoney
Tara Mahoney marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Imelda Judge
Imelda Judge marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
Kyra
Kyra marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Monica
Monica is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2012
Marisa
Marisa added it
Jan 05, 2013
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Jun 15, 2012
John
John marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2011
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2009
Dreamtime Alice Love in the Years of Lunacy The Poet's Wife Velocity: A Memoir 15 kinds of desire