Start by marking “Springwater (Springwater, #1)” as Want to Read:
Springwater (Springwater, #1)

Springwater (Springwater #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,068 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Evangeline Keating came west because she had to: after her husband's passing, she needed to build a new life for her young daughter, and marrying a stranger from Montana Territory was her best chance. After a difficult winter journey, she arrives at an isolated outpost called Springwater Station. But the handsome man who's come for her is not her husband-to-be, and Evangel ...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Springwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Springwater

Tina
Mar 12, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a Linda Lael Miller fan for some time but our library picked up the "Springwater" series lately so this book, although older than her other series, was new to me. Heartily agree with reader, Sara B., that said she would like to have more of the backstory on Scully.

The story unfolds around a young widow and her daughter fleeing the safety of the Pennsylvania "city-life" and a mean-spirited man shortly after the Civil War. Evangeline climbs aboard a westbound train with few possession
Jeanne
Apr 22, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western-romance
This is not really a western romance but more of a frontier romance. I enjoyed the characters of Evangeline and her daughter Abigail. When her husband passed away she had to decide whether to stay in Pennsylvania or to journey to Montana and marry her husband's cousin. She felt that Montana was the better of the choices for herself and Abigail. When she finally got to Springwater Station, the man that came for her wasn't her husband to be but his partner Scully Wainwright. She had never intended ...more
Emma
Apr 15, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great western romance. Scully was strong, caring and loyal and like Evangeline, I couldn't help falling in love with him.
Mar 14, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Western romance novel, set 1870 in Montana, outside of a stagecoach station named Springwater Station, hence the title.

The heroine is the widow Evangeline Keating, whose much older husband died of natural causes. She had to get out of town because her stepson, who is actually older than she is and inherited everything, started making untoward advances and he happens to be a toad, so there’s no way she’d marry him. It turns out that her dead husband had a cousin in Montana who was looking for a w
Monique Takens
Nov 08, 2014 Monique Takens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normaal lees ik eigenlijk geen westerns maar ik had een deeltje uit deze serie van iemand gekregen en vond de schrijfstijl van mevr. Miller zo fijn dat ik de rest van de serie heb aangeschaft .
Na het lezen van dit 1e deel heb ik daar geen enkele spijt van . Ik ga gauw verder met het volgende boek , een combi van vier korte verhalen in een waarvan ik er een al gelezen heb maar met plezier nog een keer zal lezen .
JLC
Nov 21, 2014 JLC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I actually might have rated this a 2 based off how bad the plot annoyed me, but the author really does deserve kudos for decent writing. I just HATED, HATED, HATED that between 40% into this book until 92% (yes, I checked) - that's 50% of the book - this book was about the H & h and their "forbidden" love. Seriously!!! No actions. Just the same "I want but can't have" back-n-forth. I personally don't have patience for that kind of stuff.
Betty
Aug 23, 2014 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evangeline Keating is a widow with a young daughter traveling west from her home in Pennsylvania. Her husband's cousin has offered to marry her and raise her child. Since she has no other options that she is willing to accept she is on her way. When she gets there right in front of the first winter storm to hit the area, it is her fiancé's partner rather than her fiancé that meets her in town. Her fiancé has left the area to pick up their cattle and will be gone until the spring. She is very di ...more
Nolan
Dec 26, 2015 Nolan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nls-audio
I've dipped in and out of this series and read things out of order. This is a fun bit of fluffy romance about a young couple who come together at the end of a long journey for her and a lonely life for him. Sculley does his best friend a favor by picking up a single mom and her precocious daughter at the stagecoach station in Springwater, Montana. She is slated to marry his friend, but his friend's absence and the presence of such adversities as wolves and nasty storms cause Sculley and Evangeli ...more
karen
Jan 31, 2016 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice ending. Could have gotten to the end quicker. Lot of filler. Again I love the strong women
Amanda Sheila
Well, it's a good and light-hearted story. But not exactly my favorite.

Mostly because Scully isn't as 'strong' as I wanted him to be. I mean, I was expecting a strong man, a bully but gentle and tender. Scully, let's just say he's too nice. I want to read more angst!

I liked the ending and the simplicity of Big John and Evangeline's relationship. Good book but not sure if I should continue the series.
Sara
Oct 12, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In spite of employing every romance novel gimmick known to mankind, this book was really sweet. Maybe because it was so short it couldn't overstay its welcome? I was disappointed, though, to not find out more about Scully's past. It was an interesting choice to make on the author's part, to specify that he fought for the Confederacy, and so I was expecting something from it, but it never really came up again.
ReadingWench
Aug 02, 2010 ReadingWench rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love western romance
This is one of my favorite historical romances. There are many story lines going on, intertwining plots and characters.

I was in a book chat with Linda Leal Miller and she had said to me that June-Bug and Jacob are loosely based on June and Johnny Cash. Being a fan of June and Johnny Cash I was so excited. Now I can see them in her characters.
penelopewanders
Jan 21, 2008 penelopewanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this as part of a spiral and it was just right for a lazy Sunday afternoon. I'm not always very keen on the American West as a setting for historical fiction, and this is a bit on the over the top sweet side, but fun nonetheless. I enjoyed the details about living in the wilderness. Reminded me a lot of the Laura Ingalls Wilder series.
Liz Mawhinney
Mar 18, 2014 Liz Mawhinney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful. I love the characters and the plot behind the book. It is charming and just has that really nice way of putting you back in time, to where true love really can find it's way to the right one. I really enjoy Linda's books and there are not many I do not enjoy.
Kasey
Jul 25, 2011 Kasey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written story, just like any story from Linda Lael Miller. I was unsure why Eve got her own book when the rest of the Springwater ladies got their books put into one. I thought that it was exciting and thrillig! I reccommend it to any person who enjoys a good western romance.
Kasey
Mar 25, 2010 Kasey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laurla2
"i dont like sewing, you have to sit still to do it."
"you have to sit still to read, evangaline pointed out, and you love to do that.
"reading is different. your mind doesnt sit still, it goes all sorts of places."
Judith
Aug 16, 2013 Judith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very entertaining. It was a fast and easy read. The characters blended well together and the love interest was deep and with morals.
Lisa Currier
Enjoyed this story. I had read Springwater seasons first, so I liked the back story of Evangeline & Scully. Another quick, easy, entertaining read.
Jane(Janelba)
Linda Lael Miller is a new author to me, but I loved this book.
I adored the main characters and the love story involved.
Astrida
This was a fast historical romance read about love in a small western town. I really liked the characters.
Darlene Infantino
Love Linda Lael Miller! She is truly a great American West romance writer.
Amanda
Sep 04, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish It had more suspense, like most of her books but still good.
Jessica
Jan 02, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-written cheesy romance novel. Characters were likable.
Rachel Young
Oct 23, 2007 Rachel Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great love story.....I love stories about the old west!
Elaine
did enjoy the series and will finish series
Janice
Aug 15, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of Mrs. Miller's books are a GREAT read!!
Dopey Dixbritneyalice
fascinating..!captures everything in you.
Elaine
Sep 07, 2012 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a lovely start to another series
Sherri
Oct 05, 2008 Sherri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yep, this is good
  • Two Texas Hearts (McQuillen #2)
  • The Barefoot Bride
  • Joe's Wife
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Shotgun Grooms
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
  • Redemption
  • My Lady Beloved
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
The daughter of a town marshal, LINDA LAEL MILLER is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 100 historical and contemporary novels, most of which reflect her love of the West. The "First Lady of the West" lives outside Spokane, Washington, where her rescued horses, dogs and cats live the high life.

Published since 1983, Linda was awarded the prestigious Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievemen
More about Linda Lael Miller...

Springwater (7 books)
  • Rachel (Springwater, #2)
  • Savannah (Springwater, #3)
  • Miranda (Springwater, #4)
  • Jessica (Springwater, #5)
  • A Springwater Christmas (Springwater, #6)
  • Springwater Wedding (Springwater, #7)

“Her fatigue was gone; she felt vital and strong, like a tree coming back to life in the springtime, vibrant with sap, ready to put out buds and then blossoms.” 0 likes
“He wished he knew how to make tea, wished he even had some to try with. That was what Miss June-bug wanted when she was feeling low, a good cup of tea, and it always seemed to brace her right up.” 0 likes