Start by marking “Springwater (Springwater, #1)” as Want to Read:
Springwater (Springwater, #1)

Springwater (Springwater #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  884 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Evangeline Keating came west because she had to: after her husband's passing, she needed to build a new life for her young daughter, and marrying a stranger from Montana Territory was her best chance. After a difficult winter journey, she arrives at an isolated outpost called Springwater Station. But the handsome man who's come for her is not her husband-to-be, and Evangel ...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Springwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Springwater

Emma
Great western romance. Scully was strong, caring and loyal and like Evangeline, I couldn't help falling in love with him.
Tina
I have been a Linda Lael Miller fan for some time but our library picked up the "Springwater" series lately so this book, although older than her other series, was new to me. Heartily agree with reader, Sara B., that said she would like to have more of the backstory on Scully.

The story unfolds around a young widow and her daughter fleeing the safety of the Pennsylvania "city-life" and a mean-spirited man shortly after the Civil War. Evangeline climbs aboard a westbound train with few possession
Western romance novel, set 1870 in Montana, outside of a stagecoach station named Springwater Station, hence the title.

The heroine is the widow Evangeline Keating, whose much older husband died of natural causes. She had to get out of town because her stepson, who is actually older than she is and inherited everything, started making untoward advances and he happens to be a toad, so there’s no way she’d marry him. It turns out that her dead husband had a cousin in Montana who was looking for a w
Monique Takens
Normaal lees ik eigenlijk geen westerns maar ik had een deeltje uit deze serie van iemand gekregen en vond de schrijfstijl van mevr. Miller zo fijn dat ik de rest van de serie heb aangeschaft .
Na het lezen van dit 1e deel heb ik daar geen enkele spijt van . Ik ga gauw verder met het volgende boek , een combi van vier korte verhalen in een waarvan ik er een al gelezen heb maar met plezier nog een keer zal lezen .
JLC

I actually might have rated this a 2 based off how bad the plot annoyed me, but the author really does deserve kudos for decent writing. I just HATED, HATED, HATED that between 40% into this book until 92% (yes, I checked) - that's 50% of the book - this book was about the H & h and their "forbidden" love. Seriously!!! No actions. Just the same "I want but can't have" back-n-forth. I personally don't have patience for that kind of stuff.
Betty
Evangeline Keating is a widow with a young daughter traveling west from her home in Pennsylvania. Her husband's cousin has offered to marry her and raise her child. Since she has no other options that she is willing to accept she is on her way. When she gets there right in front of the first winter storm to hit the area, it is her fiancé's partner rather than her fiancé that meets her in town. Her fiancé has left the area to pick up their cattle and will be gone until the spring. She is very di ...more
Amanda Sheila
Well, it's a good and light-hearted story. But not exactly my favorite.

Mostly because Scully isn't as 'strong' as I wanted him to be. I mean, I was expecting a strong man, a bully but gentle and tender. Scully, let's just say he's too nice. I want to read more angst!

I liked the ending and the simplicity of Big John and Evangeline's relationship. Good book but not sure if I should continue the series.
Sara
In spite of employing every romance novel gimmick known to mankind, this book was really sweet. Maybe because it was so short it couldn't overstay its welcome? I was disappointed, though, to not find out more about Scully's past. It was an interesting choice to make on the author's part, to specify that he fought for the Confederacy, and so I was expecting something from it, but it never really came up again.
ReadingWench
Aug 02, 2010 ReadingWench rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love western romance
This is one of my favorite historical romances. There are many story lines going on, intertwining plots and characters.

I was in a book chat with Linda Leal Miller and she had said to me that June-Bug and Jacob are loosely based on June and Johnny Cash. Being a fan of June and Johnny Cash I was so excited. Now I can see them in her characters.
penelopewanders
I received this as part of a spiral and it was just right for a lazy Sunday afternoon. I'm not always very keen on the American West as a setting for historical fiction, and this is a bit on the over the top sweet side, but fun nonetheless. I enjoyed the details about living in the wilderness. Reminded me a lot of the Laura Ingalls Wilder series.
Liz Mawhinney
This book is wonderful. I love the characters and the plot behind the book. It is charming and just has that really nice way of putting you back in time, to where true love really can find it's way to the right one. I really enjoy Linda's books and there are not many I do not enjoy.
Kasey
Beautifully written story, just like any story from Linda Lael Miller. I was unsure why Eve got her own book when the rest of the Springwater ladies got their books put into one. I thought that it was exciting and thrillig! I reccommend it to any person who enjoys a good western romance.
Kasey
Laurla2
"i dont like sewing, you have to sit still to do it."
"you have to sit still to read, evangaline pointed out, and you love to do that.
"reading is different. your mind doesnt sit still, it goes all sorts of places."
Judith
I found this book to be very entertaining. It was a fast and easy read. The characters blended well together and the love interest was deep and with morals.
Lisa Currier
Enjoyed this story. I had read Springwater seasons first, so I liked the back story of Evangeline & Scully. Another quick, easy, entertaining read.
Jane(Janelba)
Linda Lael Miller is a new author to me, but I loved this book.
I adored the main characters and the love story involved.
Astrida
This was a fast historical romance read about love in a small western town. I really liked the characters.
Darlene Infantino
Love Linda Lael Miller! She is truly a great American West romance writer.
Amanda
I wish It had more suspense, like most of her books but still good.
Jessica
A well-written cheesy romance novel. Characters were likable.
Rachel Young
Great love story.....I love stories about the old west!
Janice
All of Mrs. Miller's books are a GREAT read!!
Dopey Dixbritneyalice
fascinating..!captures everything in you.
Elaine
a lovely start to another series
Ernestina Silva
Ernestina Silva marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
  • Joe's Wife
  • Two Texas Hearts
  • Without Words
  • The Barefoot Bride
  • Parting Gifts
  • Open Country (Blood Rose, #2)
  • Come Spring (Storm Family, #3)
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Wyoming Lawman (The Women of Swan's Nest, #2)
  • Rose (Seven Brides, #1)
  • Heartland Wedding (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #2)
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e ...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...
Logan (Montana Creeds, #1) Dylan (Montana Creeds, #2) Tyler (Montana Creeds, #3) McKettrick's Luck (McKettrick Men, #1) (McKettricks, #6) High Country Bride (McKettrick, #1)