Start by marking “How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling” as Want to Read:
How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling

How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  6,302 ratings  ·  152 reviews
A business classic, How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling is for anyone whose job it is to sell. Whether you are selling houses or mutual funds, advertisements or ideas -- or anything else -- this book is for you.

When Frank Bettger was twenty-nine he was a failed insurance salesman. By the time he was forty he owned a country estate and could have retired.
Published November 24th 2009 by Touchstone (first published 1947)

Be the first to ask a question about How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling

Reid
This is a book my father read. It was first published in 1949. Lots of stories, energetic writing, an easy read.

PART ONE
4. TAKE MORE TIME TO THINK and do things in the order of their importance

II. Formula for Success in Selling
5. Find out what the buyer wants, then help him find
Tony Bradshaw
Any salesman that hasn't read How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie should read this book. It has caused me to finally start the program that Benjamin Franklin did of applying one subject each week for 1/4 of the year (equals 13 subjects and Franklin's 13 subjects are Temperance, Silence, Order, Resolution, Frugality, Industry, Sincerity, Justice, Moderation, Cleanliness, Tranquility, Chastity and Humility.) Bettger kept 6 of these and added 7 of his own: Enthusiasm, Order: se ...more
David McClendon, Sr
Maybe you aren’t intending on a career in selling. Perhaps your business has little to do with selling. The bottom line is that everyone sells something to someone, no matter what.

If you are a child, you sell getting to stay up late to your parents. As a child you may sell going to a particular movie or event or even watching a television program. We all sell. If you are a preacher or priest or other type of clergy, you sell salvation to your congregation. If you are a teacher, you sell educati
Daniel Taylor
Given the crappy appearance of the cover of the Amway edition, I thought this book would be filled with advice that has been deservedly long-forgotten. I was wrong.

An associate of Dale Carnegie, of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" fame, Bettger's book is of that standard, but for salespeople. He gives you some ideas to change how you think about selling, provides a formula for sales success, shows how to gain a prospect's confidence, offers five things you can do so the prospect sells t
Jonathan
It is a shame that I've grown up with disdain for salesmen. This book along with others like Think and Grow Rich, The Magic of Thinking Big, and How to Win Friends and Influence People have taught me to love the world of sales.

I avoided such books for years because I thought they were books about techniques to get people to do what you want. I was so wrong.

What I learned from these books is that true sales is about connecting with people and serving them. They taught me that integrity, honesty,
Evy Hanson
Classic advice from (at the time) the highest paid salesperson in America. I have given this book as a gift several times. Includes the inspiring poem by Herbert Kauffman which Bettger shared hundreds of times through his professional career.

Victory

You are the one who used to boast
That you’d achieve the uttermost
some day.

You merely wished a show,
To demonstrate how much you know
And prove the distance you can go…

Another year we’ve just passed through.
What new ideas came to you?
How many big things
Galaxyflyer
Sep 22, 2011 Galaxyflyer is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Franklin Lyle Bettger
wrote "How I raised myself from

failure to success in selling."
* Though he would seem egotistical

by writing this book.
* failed at selling life insurance
* made 40,000 sales calls in 25years.
* = made enough to buy a 70,000 estate and retire at 40
* "I would walk [1,000 miles] to get this book." ~Dale Carnegie~
- My stupid blunders
- My mistakes
+ lifted my self up
= this book is about What this ideas did for me.
Ch. 1 these ideas lifted me out of the ranks of failure
-nervous -sc
Derek
This book was one of the best books I have ever read. It does have a focus in the area of business/sales, but it applies to everything in life.
John
From the time we first learn to cry to get fed or changed, we are selling. This is the best book I've found to teach how to sell properly.
Michael Owens
Great Read for you to understand YOU. It is not particularly about SELLING...yet anything you do in life... you are selling yourself. Understand WHY having all the knowledge in the world may not afford you The Great Results than HE who may have less knowledge. WHY that individual excels and some slight adjustments YOU can make in your daily life (rather personal or business) to see better results. One clue gained from the book is EXCITEMENT. Read the book for all the other great nuggets. I have ...more
Michael Holloway
If your going to deal with people and you are then you need to read this book.
Mindie
Definitely dated, but good advice for any business owner.
Saurabh Hooda
I am happy that I picked this book after someone senior in sales recommended me this. It's a great book. Though Frank Bettger was an insurance salesman in early 20th century but all his principles are still very valid.

These are the important things that I learnt from Frank Bettger:

—Act enthusiastic (or force yourself to act enthusiastic) and you’ll become enthusiastic. Enthusiasm can work wonders. It can subside your fear as well. You’ll feel better and work better. Enthusiasm is contagious.

—Mor
Joe
I could definitely see how someone working in sales reading this book could turn in to a real salesman, not the half asleep cyborgs we have today reading from a script who don't have much understanding of their own products or customers needs. A salesman who understands what customers want, genuinely helps them find the right products for them and don't sell things that are not right. Then follows up on those customers a few weeks later to check everything is going well and ask if they know anyo ...more
Arash Narchi
Sales basics with clear examples for anyone new to this field. I wouldn't recommend this book if you aren't in some sort of direct sales. That's where you would get the most return on reading Frank Bettger's great book.

The writing is simple and relates well for those who are beginning their sales careers in B2C sales. Heavily focused on the right steps for taking action in different parts of a sales cycle and understanding how to find customer needs.

Marina Schmidt
How I raised myself from failure to success in selling” by Frank Bettger is a hight informative book with pratical tips that are great for salespeople and can be applied in daily situations as well. The influence that Dale Carnegie had on him is obvious. A great read with a lot of examples like salesinterviews. I summarized a few tips from the book on my blog
Heather Woods
This is my third reading of this book. Don't let the title fool you--this is a book on people skills and helps you better work with them in any area, not just sales. Feel you deserve a raise? This can help you ask and expect better results. Have people in your department that you need to motivate to work well together? This teaches how to help people want to do them. We all have occasions where we need to explain to, negotiate with, persuade others. You can just "do it you way"-- after all you a ...more
Nate
What a great book that talks about getting to the heart of human relationships. The idea is to stop thinking about how everyone else needs to work on there skills and look in the mirror and look at yourself. This book gives incredible insight on how to work on little things on yourself that helps in talking to others. It is basically a guide in how you would like you yourself to be treated.

The title of the book first made me think that it is all about trying to sell something. Why would I want
Kecuk
the failure is common in business.without failure we won't realize our mistakes. in selling, we definitely experience rejection. but we should believe that there a probability of Yes. when you sell product to many people,there must be at least one who say Yes. Yes to buy it. that is why failure is not a problem in selling. it's only one of challenges on business.
Alex Devero
Becoming a successful salesperson is no easy task, but with a little determination anyone can accomplish this goal. As long as you stay enthusiastic about what you do, you can find success in sales. By continuingly developing your skills and making your customer your priority, you can build a sales career of which you can be proud.
Banu Kibar
Remzi Kitabevi basımlı 'Satışta Başarı' isimli kitabın bu kitap olduğunu düşünüyorum.

Eşinize bir tatil önerisinde bulunurken, iş yerinizde bir projeyi sunarken, sosyal medyada bir paylaşım yaparken aslında hep bir satış yapıyoruz.

Bu kitap satış üzerine çok kafa yoran biri tarafından yazılmış. Okumaya değer.
Yves
This amazing book chronicles the life of Frank Bettger from everyman into one of the world's best Insurance sales people. I have owned many, many copies of this book since I picked up a signed first edition (!!) in a book sale when I was 12. Every time I get an extra copy I give it away to someone that I feel will get the lessons.

Recently I gave away my signed copy to a friend doing a complete career change, from successful actor to Real Estate sales professional. Needless to say I am looking fo
Irwin Gonzalez
This book is amazing.. Timeless classic. It's a wonderful example of how principles never change.. A must read for anyone cause all of us will have to sell something at some point of our lives. This book is easily read and understood. Read it! Highlight it! Study it! Own it!!
Blake
Get ready to pull yer bootstraps! After you're assigned this one by your sales supervisor you'll have no more excuses to not succeed! Plus there's, like, old timey pro baseball stories and people travel between cities by train and tram car. It's steampunk as fuck.
Brandon Perry
I really believe this book gets better every time I read it. Don't let the title fool you, this is also a book about building relationships. As another great author, Orrin Woodward, states that all business is relationships. How much we tend to forget that when meeting with others, its about them. Also the last chapter talks about the great Benjamin Franklin and makes a great point, especially in today's age. A man we revere as so great and important to American history has laid out his 13 resol ...more
Linus Alenvret
Classic book about mindset and sales skills. Bettger's personal examples combined with the qiuck bio's of the great business men and leaders of history, and the 20th century makes this book both interresting and well worth your time.
Leah
Rating: 3.5 of 5

Useful ideas, especially with regards to the power of enthusiasm. Important reminders, such as salespeople can't know too much, but they can talk too much. Bettger's story was an inspirational one and I appreciated the numerous examples of failures turned success, not just from his own life but from other highly successful business people.

Only complaint would be the outdated ideology of men-only salesforce. Perhaps that has been updated since my library's 1986 copy.
Michael  Slavin
I first read this book about 1980. It is an excellent motivational book. It is a true story of how Frank Bettger pulled his life out of a tail spin selling insurance. You do not have to sell insurance to learn something and enjoy this book. This is one of my favorites.
Rob
Great read for anyone starting out a career in sales. This was one of the first books I read when I entered into the workforce and the principles discussed throughout still remain true today. A sales "classic."
Chris Ross
A true gem: small yet valuable. This book is packed with simple Sales 101 reminders, tips, and tricks from a very successful salesperson. A lot has changed since Frank was selling Life Insurance around the beginning of the 20th century, e.g. gone are the days where one in sales has an application that requires a signature on the spot and you collect cash or a check from your customer. I wish it were easy to collect records of every call today. I highly recommend this book if you work as a Sales ...more
  • Rascal: Making a Difference by Becoming an Original Character
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life
  • Go-Givers Sell More
  • Go for No! Yes is the Destination, No is How You Get There
  • The Choice
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
How I Raised Myself From Failure How I Multiplied My Income & Happiness in Selling How I Learned the Secrets of Success in Selling How One Idea Multiplied My Income and Happiness Lebe Begeistert Und Gewinne. Das Erfolgsbuch Für Verkäufer