Start by marking “The Sword Volume 4: Air” as Want to Read:
The Sword Volume 4: Air

The Sword Volume 4: Air (The Sword #4)

The Sword: Air v. 4 Three powerful siblings entered Dara Brighton's home and brutally murdered her family right before her eyes. With the help of a powerful sword and her two friends, she has vowed to exact revenge on the three.
Published July 27th 2010 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Sword Volume 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword Volume 4

Arminzerella
Pilamin
Jan 19, 2013 Pilamin rated it it was amazing
No spoilers! Not even a hint of things to come. This review is more of a review of the series, directed at potential newcomers, but still centered on Volume 4.

I wish the previous two volumes had been like this. Old secrets come to light, the once-shallow mythology of the backstory is given more weight, and it all climaxes with a fantastic twist. Also, the ending brought a sobering tear to my eye.

The ending alone is worth the admission to reading The Sword. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for melodram
Matt Sautman
Oct 15, 2016 Matt Sautman rated it really liked it
A strong finish to the Luna Brothers' mythology, the twists within this volume are likely to catch any reader off guard without disappointment. This meditation upon godhood, existentialism, and perception culminate rather nicely. There are profound things waiting to be uncovered within this volume. Ultimately, I feel as if this series would function better as one singular collection as opposed to four smaller volumes.
Joseph R.
Last sibling standing Malia makes her bid not to get killed by Dara Brighton and the sword when Malia goes public as a savior who can defeat Dara (who, let's admit it, does look like a menace on television). Malia is in Times Square, on the jumbotrons and every news media outlet there is. Her promise to protect the world infuriates Dara, who hijacks a plane to fly to New York City with her friend Julie and tagalong Justin. On the plane, they discover that the sword's healing effects don't last f ...more
Peacegal
Nov 18, 2011 Peacegal rated it liked it
Zedsdead
Mar 31, 2013 Zedsdead rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Dara faces off against the final elemental-god-sibling. Malia manipulates the easily fooled masses into believing that Dara is a psycho super-nutter and that she, Malia, is humanity's only hope. Dara has the entire population of Earth to contend with in addition to the power-mad air goddess.

The final volume is as simplistic as the rest. The characters are all about as canny as your average fourth grader, right down to the general in charge of keeping the superhumans under control. This would be
Nicole Bunge
Aug 01, 2013 Nicole Bunge rated it really liked it
Well, finally the epic battle. Lot of secrets come out, and a heck of an ending I didn't see coming (which is rare.)
Like Vol. 3, they play fast and loose with biology- or rather, geology, which kind of ruins an otherwise credible story. I can't talk about it without ruining one of the big twists, but it's fair to say that it once again wrecks 'suspension of disbelief' for me. I can accept 4000 year old 'gods' but not messing with 5th grade science, sorry.
Flying? I'm fine with. Magical wound he
Elisa The-Bookie-Monster
Jun 15, 2014 Elisa The-Bookie-Monster rated it it was amazing
The best book of this series. Dara has to face off against Malia, who controls air. What I really love about this series is that it reads like a novel. You don't feel like you're reading a comic book. The story line engulfs you and you feel as though you are battling alongside Dara. I feel like Jonathan Luna did a great job of tying everything together. There is a huuuuge plot twist though, and ultimately I'm pretty satisfied with the end. At first I was shocked, but now that I'm thinking about ...more
J. Dru
Jul 09, 2016 J. Dru rated it it was ok
Underwhelming, eyeroll inducing plot lines, glad someone finally mentioned Dara's negative personality change. It was pretty sexist to have two women fight by each casting shade at the other so that they lose control of their emotions and their powers. Felt catty. Still ableist and the plot twist surprised me but was not enough to save the volume. This series was a downward spiral with a disappointing finish.
Jeff Raymond
The conclusion of what has ended up as one of my favorite series isn't quite what you might expect given the first three trades, but the finale still delivered in a lot of great ways, from some really solid storytelling to some fun twists and tying off the obvious loose ends.

I don't hear much about this series at all these days, but it was still a solid ride from start to finish, and I definitely recommend it.
Leonard Becker III
May 23, 2015 Leonard Becker III rated it it was amazing
5 out of 5 stars
A brilliant end to an amazing series.
As a whole, The Sword, series I would give it a 4.5 out of 5 star rating. Though the back story was absolutely amazing, the current characters and plot had a lot of plot holes. Though in the end it was all so amazing.
THAT ENDING THOUGH!!!!!!!
Mitchell
Just another endless fight and kind of tiring. And then the book turns into something completely different. And much is reframed. And again. And then a real ending. Huh. Not completely enjoyable but somewhat satisfying. Though the art is still not different enough from character to character. 3.5 of 5.
Jenna
Jul 19, 2015 Jenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
This is the last volume of "The Sword," and I thought this was a great end to the series. The writing was a little clumsy at a few points, but I'm more forgiving in graphic novel form. This is still a very engaging story, and I had a great time reading all four volumes. The greatest strength of this series is the art and action scenes, and it leads to a very satisfying conclusion.
Etzerlaurore
Feb 09, 2016 Etzerlaurore rated it it was amazing
In this book Dara Brighton is portrayed evil even when she continues to save the lives of humanity by destroying the super siblings. Through the book you see a lot of surprising knowledge and facts about Dara's father. In the end there is a shocking truth about her friend.
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2010 Rebecca rated it liked it
I liked the first volume the best, after that it gets a bit repetitive (two nearly invincible entities fighting...one of my pet peeves). The fourth volume got into serious eye-rolling territory, but rallied at the end such that I didn't walk away feeling like I had wasted my time.
Bruno
Apr 23, 2014 Bruno rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
De ganse cyclus gelezen, en het mist een beetje originaliteit --misschien heb ik gewoon al te veel dergelijke verhalen gelezen of gezien. Mooi in beeld gebracht weliswaar, en met een mooie verhaallijn en structuur.
Lara
Jan 01, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
So, I liked this comic series a lot. Despite the fact that sometimes the art annoyed me a little, I couldn't help but get sucked into this world, and the story, and I totally wasn't expecting the final outcome. Well worth a read.
Amber
Feb 27, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
An incredibly strong ending to a series with patchy moments. Plenty of moments of surprise that you immediately start connecting the dots for.
Dave
Jul 30, 2010 Dave rated it really liked it
The climactic final battle, in which many secrets come to light. Demetrios', Malia's, Dara's, and even those of her companions.

Nothing will be the same after these events.
Richard Mulholland
Jul 18, 2011 Richard Mulholland rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
Great ending to the series. I can't say enough good things about the Luna Brothers' art and storytelling.
Ceremony
Jun 18, 2012 Ceremony rated it really liked it
All in all a very good 4-part Comic - the conclusion was making sense in a way - I did read the Four Books extremely fast and liked them a lot !!!
Brandon
Jan 21, 2011 Brandon rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, four
I enjoyed the introduction of the first, the action of the second, and the finale of this one. I thought this series ended perfectly.
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Jennie Sanders
Jennie Sanders rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2013
Brandon
Brandon rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2015
James
Dec 17, 2015 James rated it it was amazing
Well done. It had a very similar ending to the Spellfire trilogy in the Forgotten Realms.
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2010
Adam Plant
Adam Plant rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2010
Andy Mascola
Andy Mascola rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2010
  • The Sword, Volume 3: Earth
  • Invincible Presents Atom Eve & Rex Splode Volume 1
  • Air, Volume 4: A History of the Future
  • Invincible, Vol. 4: Head of the Class
  • Irredeemable, Vol. 3
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 7: Ex Cathedra (Ex Machina, #7)
  • Cowboy Ninja Viking Volume 1 (Cowboy Ninja Viking, #1)
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 13: 1947 (B.P.R.D., #13)
JONATHAN LUNA co-created and illustrated THE SWORD, GIRLS, and ULTRA (all Image Comics) with his brother, Joshua Luna. He co-created and illustrated ALEX + ADA with Sarah Vaughn. He wrote and illustrated STAR BRIGHT AND THE LOOKING GLASS (Image Comics). His work also includes the art for SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN (Marvel Comics), written by Brian Michael Bendis and Brian Reed.

Jonathan was born in Calif
More about Jonathan Luna...

The Sword (5 books)