Start by marking “Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!” as Want to Read:
Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!

Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!

In our appearance-obsessed society, eating is about much more than hunger and sustenance. Food inspires pleasure and anxiety, shame and obsession. We are constantly judged on how we look, so we've come to judge ourselves (and others) on what and how we eat.
These evocative essays, from some of the most talented and popular writers working today, tackle this universal subje
Published January 27th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!

Lillerina
For the most part I liked it, being into fat-acceptance anyway and fairly well read on the basics (shapely prose etc). However, one thing marred this collection for me over and over, and that was the writers sharing their height and weight again and again. I'd rather not know the weight of these writers, or the height, and it betrays an anxiety that I don't want to read in books like this. When someone writes that they weigh 130 lbs and are five-five but they've come to terms with that, I feel a ...more
Kjersti
This collection of essays was more thought-provoking and serious than I thought it would be. However, it got a little heavy-handed by the end. The premise is that different women writers “weigh” in on body issues, eating disorders, self-esteem, and the meaning of the word fat.

Pro: It was interesting and nice to see a candid representation of what other women think about themselves and food. I definitely related to some of these women.
Con: Especially the “cured” women seemed to have turned thei
elita
Apr 14, 2009 elita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is what every anthology should be: a collection of funny, poignant, well-written essays about a topic every woman can relate to, body image. This book is for everyone who has ever been brought to tears by a 3-way mirror or who fears and loathes bathing suit season. I devoured this book (heh).
Alyssa
Feb 09, 2011 Alyssa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It was a wonderful book filled with the emotions and experiences of many women whom we can all relate to. I loved all of the stories. Immediately upon finishing the book I wanted to find out more about each contributing author. (although there is some language in some of the accounts)
Gayle
Dec 23, 2009 Gayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up yesterday and immediately read the intro and first three short stories. Would have loved to stay up all night - it's THAT good!
Ellen
Aug 07, 2011 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were several stories in this book that were really heartfelt and inspiring. I particularly enjoyed the ones that showed me a cultural perspective on food and eating that was new to me -- people from different countries, with very different jobs, different upbringings, etc. It really drove the point home that, though our individual experiences may vary, we've all apparently got issues with food!

That said, there were a good number of pieces that I didn't feel added much to the collective sto
Julie
Apr 16, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think everyone should read this book. Food is a complicated issue, and our modern life doesn't coexist very well with what our genetics want -- feast during times of plenty to save up for times of famine...now that for most of us there aren't times of famine we are saving up for...nothing!

I loved the variety of voices and opinions in this collection. I can't say that I agree with them all, and I doubt anyone would (since some conflict), but they are all worth a read.

Not everyone has weight is
Doc
Jan 08, 2010 Doc marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sexuality
An excellent collection of brilliantly written short stories by some of the most talented female writers of our time. You will laugh out loud at stories such as Attack of the XL Girl by Laurie Notaro and cry as you read stories like The Grief Diet by Caroline Leavitt. These stories weave a collective tale of the various psychological and emotional issues women face daily in their struggle to have healthy relationships with fashion and body image. The talented group of authors really connect to t ...more
Lindsay Aarons
Published originally at my blog

I listened to the audiobook version of this book, which I honestly can’t really recommend. I think Feed Me would be better in small bites–it’s intended to create a sense of sisterhood and realization, but listening to eight hours of women talking about how they don’t feel like they deserve love if they weigh more than 130 lbs is a little depressing.

I’d recommend you maybe read one of the essays a day, and then follow it up with something a little more nourishing.
Natalie
Apr 15, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is a collection of essays by different writers. The essays were really interesting, fun and well written. It was insightful to see all the many different ways in which people view food, and themselves. I would probably give it more of a 3.5 star but couldn't go more than that because the book was a little depressing for me because, while all the women have issues with weight, body image, and food, not all of them have overcome them and many of them made me more confused about my own ch ...more
Wendy Knerr
My interests in writing and learning about food include food policy, global food systems and agriculture, but at a more fundamental level, my own personal relationship with food (and therefore my body) is a major source of my curiosity. This collection of essays is an interesting look at how food and body image can so greatly influence women's lives, from the perspective of some really top women writers who articulate this complex subject well. I especially liked 'The Grief Diet' by Caroline Lea ...more
Ellen Keim
Jan 12, 2012 Ellen Keim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book slowly, like a meal I wanted to savor. I'm not saying it was of great literary quality, although there is some fine writing in it. But I so enjoyed all the different takes on what it means to be obsessed with food and body image in this society. There were also a few essays that were just about the meaning of food, how it comforts and connects us. I would recommend this to anyone who is feeling isolated by their own struggle with weight and food issues.
Grace
Oct 19, 2009 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second "modern ideas about female body image" book. And this is what I learned about myself and other women. Some women have really messed up body images and ideas about food. I mean, REALLY messed up. I am currently trying to lose weight for the first time in my life. And after reading this, I learned I have a pretty healthy attitude about food and dieting, etc. My goodness, but some people are really screwed up!

It was a good read.
Julie
Apr 29, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of viewpoints about the role food plays in our lives. We have become a culture in which food no longer sustains our bodies. Food also helps us deal with our emotions, attempt to control ourselves and our environment, rebel against authority, and lie to ourselves about what we want and believe.
Tracie
This anthology allows a variety of contemporary voices to speak out on issues related to food, the body, and gender. Due to the personal nature of the subjects at hand, every reader will respond to these essays differently. That said, the stories that resonated most deeply with me were "The Twin Paradox" by Susan O'Doherty and "Pie" by Joyce Maynard.
May 03, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent vignettes from a cross-section of society dishing about the highs and lows of food, body image, weight, power, etc. Although this is an oft explored topic I found this particular volume to be more frank and heartfelt than most. Highly recommended for anyone who has struggled with self-acceptance in regards to food and weight issues. (Are there any women who have not?)
Wan Ni
This anthology contains contributions from various female writers on the topic of food, diet and body image. Most chronicle triumphant stories of overcoming eating disorders and negative body image issues while candidly sharing secrets and embarrassing moments. With the right reader mindset, these tales can empower and change perceptions.
Maggie
I love the last piece in this book, the one by Joyce Maynard called "Pie". Her mother taught her to make pie; she teaches everyone around her. "Cooking and Mother. Mother and Food. Food and Love." And it comes round again, to Love and Cooking. If you want to read the essay, but don't have the book to hand, it's here: http://www.joycemaynard.com/columns-a...
Abby
Aug 10, 2009 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-memoir
Doesn't get any better than this. A myriad of writing styles. Short and sweet so you can set the book down mid-way and not forget where you are.
It combines two of the most influential elements of my life: writing and body image.
Jen
Jun 01, 2013 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
This has got to be one of the best books I've read on body image. It really opened my eyes to my own relationship not only with my body, but with food as well. I highly recommend all girls and women, young and old read it.
Ann
Feb 16, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, adults
I read this because Laurie Notaro has an essay in it. While I still worship at the Notaro altar, so many of these essays rang true. Any woman who has ever looked in the mirror and not liked who looked back should read this book.

And it's drop dead funny. Seriously laugh out loud funny.
Ann
Feb 21, 2016 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wonderful insights into the complex relationships we women have with food...interesting to see such a variety of opinions/experiences, from an overweight and proud of it woman to a woman who struggled with bingeing and is very proud of her slender-for-years physique.
Julie Mulcock
Jun 08, 2010 Julie Mulcock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great non-fiction book about dieting and body image. It was raw and honest and spot-on. The only critique I have is some of the language. All in all it made me feel completely vindicated, and I really like feeling that way ;)
Hope Baugh
Not every essay in this collection resonated with me, but some of them did. I think what I like best about this book is the VARIETY of voices and opinions. We all have some kind of relationship with food, and for most of us, it is a complicated one.
Karen
Mar 16, 2010 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a quick read, and I enjoyed most of the essays. I do wish it weren't necessary to have so many books about female body image and dieting, but that's a separate thing, not a reflection on this book.
Calista
I would have given this 4 stars, but somehow they neglected to include any masculine voices. I think it would have been nice to hear from at least one guy who has been affected by food, eating disorders, etc.
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Thought-provoking. Scary to see how widespread issues of body image are -- and how much impact "throw-away" comments made to young girls still have years later in their adult life.
Harriet
Jan 17, 2009 Harriet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm the editor of this anthology, and a contributor as well. There are some amazing stories in here from women writers about the push-pull we all feel about food and eating, body image and weight.
Rosa
Aug 14, 2012 Rosa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An anthology, the essays vary widely in topic, quality, and tone. Sometimes this makes for interesting reading, sometimes it just feels kind of random and thrown-together. Good train-station reading.
Kara Jacobs
Aug 12, 2009 Kara Jacobs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading other women's musings on and experiences with food, weight, body image. Well-edited and well-written and oh, so much I could resonate with!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater: 21 Funny Women on Beauty, Body Image, and Other Hazards of Being Female
  • Bodies out of Bounds: Fatness and Transgression
  • Does This Book Make Me Look Fat?
  • It's So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style
  • Best Food Writing 2008
  • Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body
  • Poems from the Women's Movement (American Poets Project)
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • Am I Thin Enough Yet?: The Cult of Thinness and the Commercialization of Identity
  • Going Hungry: Writers on Desire, Self-Denial, and Overcoming Anorexia
  • Body Outlaws: Rewriting the Rules of Beauty and Body Image
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • Altared: Bridezillas, Bewilderment, Big Love, Breakups, and What Women Really Think About Contemporary Weddings
  • Women Who Eat: A New Generation on the Glory of Food
  • Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Girls Who Like Boys Who Like Boys: True Tales of Love, Lust, and Friendship Between Straight Women and Gay Men
  • The Golden Cage: The Enigma of Anorexia Nervosa