Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!

Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In our appearance-obsessed society, eating is about much more than hunger and sustenance. Food inspires pleasure and anxiety, shame and obsession. We are constantly judged on how we look, so we've come to judge ourselves (and others) on what and how we eat.
These evocative essays, from some of the most talented and popular writers working today, tackle this universal subje...more
Published January 27th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feed Me! Feed Me! Feed Me!

Lillerina
For the most part I liked it, being into fat-acceptance anyway and fairly well read on the basics (shapely prose etc). However, one thing marred this collection for me over and over, and that was the writers sharing their height and weight again and again. I'd rather not know the weight of these writers, or the height, and it betrays an anxiety that I don't want to read in books like this. When someone writes that they weigh 130 lbs and are five-five but they've come to terms with that, I feel a...more
Kjersti
This collection of essays was more thought-provoking and serious than I thought it would be. However, it got a little heavy-handed by the end. The premise is that different women writers “weigh” in on body issues, eating disorders, self-esteem, and the meaning of the word fat.

Pro: It was interesting and nice to see a candid representation of what other women think about themselves and food. I definitely related to some of these women.
Con: Especially the “cured” women seemed to have turned thei...more
elita
This book is what every anthology should be: a collection of funny, poignant, well-written essays about a topic every woman can relate to, body image. This book is for everyone who has ever been brought to tears by a 3-way mirror or who fears and loathes bathing suit season. I devoured this book (heh).
Alyssa
It was a wonderful book filled with the emotions and experiences of many women whom we can all relate to. I loved all of the stories. Immediately upon finishing the book I wanted to find out more about each contributing author. (although there is some language in some of the accounts)
Gayle
Picked this up yesterday and immediately read the intro and first three short stories. Would have loved to stay up all night - it's THAT good!
Ellen
There were several stories in this book that were really heartfelt and inspiring. I particularly enjoyed the ones that showed me a cultural perspective on food and eating that was new to me -- people from different countries, with very different jobs, different upbringings, etc. It really drove the point home that, though our individual experiences may vary, we've all apparently got issues with food!

That said, there were a good number of pieces that I didn't feel added much to the collective sto...more
Julie
I think everyone should read this book. Food is a complicated issue, and our modern life doesn't coexist very well with what our genetics want -- feast during times of plenty to save up for times of famine...now that for most of us there aren't times of famine we are saving up for...nothing!

I loved the variety of voices and opinions in this collection. I can't say that I agree with them all, and I doubt anyone would (since some conflict), but they are all worth a read.

Not everyone has weight is...more
Doc
Feb 17, 2011 Doc marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sexuality
An excellent collection of brilliantly written short stories by some of the most talented female writers of our time. You will laugh out loud at stories such as Attack of the XL Girl by Laurie Notaro and cry as you read stories like The Grief Diet by Caroline Leavitt. These stories weave a collective tale of the various psychological and emotional issues women face daily in their struggle to have healthy relationships with fashion and body image. The talented group of authors really connect to t...more
Wendy Knerr
My interests in writing and learning about food include food policy, global food systems and agriculture, but at a more fundamental level, my own personal relationship with food (and therefore my body) is a major source of my curiosity. This collection of essays is an interesting look at how food and body image can so greatly influence women's lives, from the perspective of some really top women writers who articulate this complex subject well. I especially liked 'The Grief Diet' by Caroline Lea...more
Natalie
This book is a collection of essays by different writers. The essays were really interesting, fun and well written. It was insightful to see all the many different ways in which people view food, and themselves. I would probably give it more of a 3.5 star but couldn't go more than that because the book was a little depressing for me because, while all the women have issues with weight, body image, and food, not all of them have overcome them and many of them made me more confused about my own ch...more
Ellen Keim
I read this book slowly, like a meal I wanted to savor. I'm not saying it was of great literary quality, although there is some fine writing in it. But I so enjoyed all the different takes on what it means to be obsessed with food and body image in this society. There were also a few essays that were just about the meaning of food, how it comforts and connects us. I would recommend this to anyone who is feeling isolated by their own struggle with weight and food issues.
Grace
This is my second "modern ideas about female body image" book. And this is what I learned about myself and other women. Some women have really messed up body images and ideas about food. I mean, REALLY messed up. I am currently trying to lose weight for the first time in my life. And after reading this, I learned I have a pretty healthy attitude about food and dieting, etc. My goodness, but some people are really screwed up!

It was a good read.
Excellent vignettes from a cross-section of society dishing about the highs and lows of food, body image, weight, power, etc. Although this is an oft explored topic I found this particular volume to be more frank and heartfelt than most. Highly recommended for anyone who has struggled with self-acceptance in regards to food and weight issues. (Are there any women who have not?)
Maggie
I love the last piece in this book, the one by Joyce Maynard called "Pie". Her mother taught her to make pie; she teaches everyone around her. "Cooking and Mother. Mother and Food. Food and Love." And it comes round again, to Love and Cooking. If you want to read the essay, but don't have the book to hand, it's here: http://www.joycemaynard.com/columns-a...
Tracie
This anthology allows a variety of contemporary voices to speak out on issues related to food, the body, and gender. Due to the personal nature of the subjects at hand, every reader will respond to these essays differently. That said, the stories that resonated most deeply with me were "The Twin Paradox" by Susan O'Doherty and "Pie" by Joyce Maynard.
Wan Ni
This anthology contains contributions from various female writers on the topic of food, diet and body image. Most chronicle triumphant stories of overcoming eating disorders and negative body image issues while candidly sharing secrets and embarrassing moments. With the right reader mindset, these tales can empower and change perceptions.
Ann
I read this because Laurie Notaro has an essay in it. While I still worship at the Notaro altar, so many of these essays rang true. Any woman who has ever looked in the mirror and not liked who looked back should read this book.

And it's drop dead funny. Seriously laugh out loud funny.
Hope Baugh
Not every essay in this collection resonated with me, but some of them did. I think what I like best about this book is the VARIETY of voices and opinions. We all have some kind of relationship with food, and for most of us, it is a complicated one.
Abby
Doesn't get any better than this. A myriad of writing styles. Short and sweet so you can set the book down mid-way and not forget where you are.
It combines two of the most influential elements of my life: writing and body image.
Julie Mulcock
This was a great non-fiction book about dieting and body image. It was raw and honest and spot-on. The only critique I have is some of the language. All in all it made me feel completely vindicated, and I really like feeling that way ;)
Jen
This has got to be one of the best books I've read on body image. It really opened my eyes to my own relationship not only with my body, but with food as well. I highly recommend all girls and women, young and old read it.
Calista
I would have given this 4 stars, but somehow they neglected to include any masculine voices. I think it would have been nice to hear from at least one guy who has been affected by food, eating disorders, etc.
Karen
This was a quick read, and I enjoyed most of the essays. I do wish it weren't necessary to have so many books about female body image and dieting, but that's a separate thing, not a reflection on this book.
Rosa
An anthology, the essays vary widely in topic, quality, and tone. Sometimes this makes for interesting reading, sometimes it just feels kind of random and thrown-together. Good train-station reading.
Harriet
I'm the editor of this anthology, and a contributor as well. There are some amazing stories in here from women writers about the push-pull we all feel about food and eating, body image and weight.
Laura Hoffman Brauman
Thought-provoking. Scary to see how widespread issues of body image are -- and how much impact "throw-away" comments made to young girls still have years later in their adult life.
maddie
Mixed feelings towards this book, but I did like a good portion of the essays. Some of them I found that the writers were still very stuck in their eating patterns, and that saddened me.
Jennb33 Brown
Interesting, well-written essays about food addiction, being chronically overweight, and body image issues. Some were sentimental, some were angry, some just "were."
Kara Jacobs
I loved reading other women's musings on and experiences with food, weight, body image. Well-edited and well-written and oh, so much I could resonate with!
Erin
A collection of short essays about individual's relationship with food. The first several were insightful, but then they all started to sound the same.
  • Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • It's So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style
  • Does This Book Make Me Look Fat?
  • Body Outlaws: Rewriting the Rules of Beauty and Body Image
  • Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body
  • Going Hungry: Writers on Desire, Self-Denial, and Overcoming Anorexia
  • Life-Size
  • Altared: Bridezillas, Bewilderment, Big Love, Breakups, and What Women Really Think About Contemporary Weddings
  • Biting Anorexia: A Firsthand Account of an Internal War
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • The Golden Cage: The Enigma of Anorexia Nervosa
  • Body Drama: Real Girls, Real Bodies, Real Issues, Real Answers
  • A Girl's Guide to Taking Over the World: Writings From The Girl Zine Revolution
  • Restricted: A Novel of Half-Truths
  • Red: The Next Generation of American Writers--Teenage Girls--On What Fires Up TheirLives Today
  • The Bastard on the Couch: 27 Men Try Really Hard to Explain Their Feelings About Love, Loss, Fatherhood, and Freedom
  • Fat Politics: The Real Story Behind America's Obesity Epidemic
  • College Girls: Bluestockings, Sex Kittens, and Co-eds, Then and Now
Brave Girl Eating: A Family's Struggle with Anorexia Mr. Wrong: Real-Life Stories About the Men We Used to Love The Good-bye Window: A Year in the Life of a Day-Care Center Kiedy jedzenie wymaga odwagi Brave Girl Eating: A Family's Struggle with Anorexia