Start by marking “Eight Black Horses” as Want to Read:
Eight Black Horses

Eight Black Horses (87th Precinct #38)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  677 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
It all got terribly confusing when the Deaf Man put in an appearance.... ...and the criminal mastermind is making his presence known by the dead bodies that are turning up around Isola. Then there are the notes -- with cryptic patterns including eight black horses dancing across a page -- that look like they mean nothing. But Detectives Kling, Carella, and Meyer know that ...more
Published June 19th 2003 by Pocket Books (first published January 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Eight Black Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eight Black Horses

James Thane
When a beautiful young woman is found naked and shot to death in the park across the street from the 87th Precinct station house, the Detectives of the 87th assume that this is just another tragic homicide and begin their investigation by attempting to identify the victim. Shortly thereafter, though, the detectives receive a communication from their old adversary, the Deaf Man, and the murder takes on a whole new significance.

Twice before, the Deaf Man has orchestrated elaborate criminal plots w
Eric_W
Feb 29, 2012 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read a lot of Ed McBain and since the special Kindle sale a while back that offered some 40 of his titles for .99 each, I know have a lot more to read. Not in any order.

I have often wondered about McBain’s (nee Evan Hunter) sexual experience. If you’ve read Candyland, for example, his familiarity with massage parlors struck me as coming from personal experience. Then again, his portrayal of police procedures seem quite real, also. Nevertheless, the Deaf Man’s libidic (probably not a word, b
Ed
Dec 23, 2009 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another cop title from the late Ed McBain's long-running fine 87th Precinct series. I'd a few hiccups with EBH. One female character acts like a nympho willing to do any ditzy thing for a sex fix. Uh-huh. At one point the arch-nemesis Deaf Man leaves a crime scene, and the cops don't think to "dust for prints". That's CSI 101, guys. But an enjoyable read nonetheless. The twists are nicely laid in, and the dialogue is razor sharp. Deaf Man taunting the cops is wickedly done. If you're in ...more
Skip
Sep 09, 2013 Skip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
The Deaf Man is back, and is sending messages to the 87th Street Precinct, starting with a dead, nude blonde in the park across the street from the station house. As always he is plotting a sensational theft and revenge on the detectives who always seem to foil his plans. Once again, through some luck and some clumsiness, major calamity is avoided.
Susan
Nov 28, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
12 days of Christmas

This book is my favorite one of the series so far. Once I got into the book, I couldn't put it down. In the beginning, I was trying to figure out what the numbers were, since they're not in order. As the story progressed, I kind of figured out that part. But the question remained - why? Well I'm not telling........
Nigel Bird
Sep 10, 2015 Nigel Bird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Naomi was lying on the bed with a bullet hole between her eyes. The pillow under her head was very red.’

I enjoyed my first venture into the 87th Precinct a while ago, but felt there were too many voices for my liking.

Eight Black Horses was my second visit. I knew from the opening line (‘The lady was extraordinarily naked’) that I was going to love this one. What made this book so much more of a pleasure was that there was only one main thread to follow, the curious fascination of The Deaf Man w
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
Another really good read. The Deaf Man is back! Foiled again.
Tony Gleeson
If you've waded through my reviews you know I love Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series and have read maybe half of them. The "Deaf Man" installments for some reason are NOT among my favorites, as they may well be for other McBainophiles... well, okay, "Fuzz" is a goodie, but the others I haven't cared for. This one involves a very complex and convoluted plot by the Deaf Man to really stick it to his nemeses of the 87th once and for all. McBain had no qualms about throwing lots of frank sexual situa ...more
Tyler Cole
May 01, 2015 Tyler Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
This was a good Ed McBain read. The story stayed consistent and on plot as opposed to other stories composed by this author. There was plenty of suspense and wonderful narration. My attention and interest was held right to the very end.
Shirley Alvarez
Jan 09, 2016 Shirley Alvarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EIGHT BLACK HORSES

This was maybe the most suspenseful book yet. Wish I knew hEr. McBain got these great ideas. I read a lot of suspense but this I couldn't put down.
carolyn prouse
Apr 24, 2016 carolyn prouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping

You just know something is going to happen . You want to shout at the caricatures look out behind you
Cathy
Jun 11, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, police
Arch-enemy of the 87th precinct, "The Deaf Man" is back! Sending Detective Steve Carella cut-out pictures of police supplies and paraphernalia accounting for the 12 Days of Christmas and foreshadowing some heinous crime (or crimes) to be committed. If only our heroes can figure out the clues in time to save the day! I particularly enjoy the stories with the Deaf Man; he is such a brilliant and creative criminal, much too smart for me. It's a pleasure to see the detectives go head to head with hi ...more
Cathy Jarvis
Mar 17, 2016 Cathy Jarvis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd 87th precinct book I have read - plan on reading many more!
Trevor Kenning
May 13, 2016 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
another cop show
Eric
May 01, 2012 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 87th Precinct stories of Ed McBain are the literary equal to an AC/DC album. You know what you're going to get, but the fun is reading(or listening) to it. This time around Det. Carella and the boys take on The Deaf Man once again. This time their nemesis sends them a christmas list full of what is to come. Certainly one of the more darker tales from this series and character development is a non-issue. However, it's still an entertaining read.
Chazzle
This novel was up and down for me. I liked the sarcastic banter of the policemen, but this was too sporadic. On the other hand, I could have done without the detailed descriptions, for example, of a bomb placed in a police car.

Ed McBain is highly regarded, I guess, and this was my first book he wrote. He's certainly capable, but I don't see why the big fuss. Maybe he "mailed this one in"?
Boulder Boulderson
Fine procedural crime book
Marti
Sep 30, 2009 Marti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i automatically give ed mc bain's books five stars because i love the way that he writes, and the group of characters who make up the 87th precinct. this a another deaf man tale so you know that the bad guy is going to come up with some interesting twists to his larceny. in this one he pretends to be steve carella, not the actor, but a police detective.
K
Aug 04, 2015 K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, can Ed McBain write! I do so enjoy his novels about the 87th precinct and it's cast of colorful cops. Despite the fact these are old books, the pacing, the plots, the dialogue all make for some really enjoyable reading-- at least for me. This was a fun ride!
Barry
Nov 25, 2008 Barry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Formulaic but a good quick read, almost like watching a television show. The ending left me wondering if it was a TV show with the villain part of the on going cast. It was the first Ed McBain I have read so I will probably read a few more.
Red Heaven
On the heels of one of his best, comes one of the worst of the 87th series. It's hard to believe a Deaf Man book can possibly be a dud, but it is. For whatever reason I got so far and totally lost interest.
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 20, 2015 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Deaf Man returns to the 87th Precinct and is up to his usual tricks. He sends the station pictures of police equipment to torment them including eight black horses. The squad takes on their nemisis.
Nicole Lyons-MacFarlane
Another fabulous read from Ed McBain. He takes us on a journey to find the Deaf Man, an elusive killer who messes with their psyche. It's a tale of the 12 Days of Christmas like no other
Jack Griffin
Nov 24, 2008 Jack Griffin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my personal favorite crime stories, best of the 87th novels and because of the nature of the story my annual Christmas read.
Gavin Greenwood
McBain at his best - a serial killer toys with cops who cannot find him, thus opening the way for another book...
LInda L
Mar 05, 2016 LInda L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful mystery -- my first McBain, but he has hundreds more to choose from. Looking forward to it.
Dave
Jun 15, 2015 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect-sounding dialogue, especially from the hardened criminal types.
B.R. Stateham
Apr 12, 2013 B.R. Stateham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely excellent. A great read from a master story teller!
  • The Devil in Her Way: A Novel
  • One Police Plaza
  • Candyland
  • The Buck Passes Flynn (Flynn, #2)
  • Exes
  • Briarpatch
  • Damned in Paradise (Nathan Heller, #9)
  • The Bitch
  • Rizzo's War (Joe Rizzo, #1)
  • A Very Shitake Christmas (Shitake Mystery #1.5)
  • The Way We Die Now
  • Under The Andes
  • The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper (Travis McGee #10)
  • Wilderness
  • Money to Burn (Casey Jones Mysteries #3)
  • Rumpole on Trial
  • He Who Whispers (Dr. Gideon Fell, #16)
  • Trial By Fire
Excerpted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_McBain

"Ed McBain" (October 15, 1926 – July 6, 2005) is one of the pen names of an American author and screenwriter. Born Salvatore Albert Lombino, he legally adopted the name Evan Hunter in 1952. While successful and well known as Evan Hunter, he was even better known as Ed McBain, a name he used for most of his crime fiction, beginning in 1956. He a
More about Ed McBain...

87th Precinct (1 - 10 of 55 books)
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct #1)
  • The Mugger (87th Precinct #2)
  • The Pusher
  • The Con Man (87th Precinct, #4)
  • Killer's Choice (87th Precinct, #5)
  • Killer's Payoff (87th Precinct #6)
  • Killer's Wedge
  • Lady Killer (87th Precinct #8)
  • 'Til Death (87th Precinct, #9)
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct #10)

“little wrapped package,” 0 likes