Start by marking “Cat Dancers, The” as Want to Read:
Cat Dancers, The

Cat Dancers, The (Cam Richter #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  402 ratings  ·  48 reviews
When two lowlifes rob a gas station, murder the attendant, and then incinerate bystanders who are filling up their minivan, the Manceford County, North Carolina, police quickly arrest the killers at a nearby motel. But a stubborn judge throws out the case because the suspects were not read their rights, leaving Sheriff Bobby Lee Baggett and Lieutenant Cam Richter to face t...more
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published October 28th 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Dancers, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Dancers, The

William Bentrim
The Cat Dancers by P.T. Deutermann
Sometimes book titles can convey a sense of what to expect in the book. In this case, the author’s name provides much more than the book title. I have come to expect complex, detailed thrillers form Mr. Deutermann and this book does not disappoint me. A straight arrow cop is confronted with circumstances that cast aspirations on the ethical behavior of some of his comrades in Blue. The ensuing conflict provides excellent entertainment as Cam, Frick and Frack fac...more
Carl Alves
A cat dancer, as in the title of this novel, is a mountain climber who get as close as possible to take a snap shot of a mountain lion. It seemed that the author really wanted to write a novel that features these cat dancers, and built a story to incorporate it that sometimes works and sometimes doesn’t work. Linking the plot to the cat dancers is a man who gets electrocuted in a homemade electric chair by vigilante killers. Lt. Cam Richter is investigating the case and winds up in the mountains...more
Jim
Career criminals Kyle "K-Dog" Simmonds and his partner "Flash" Butts go on trial for a gruesome crime. But unfortunatley for the D.A.'s
office Judge Annie Bellamy throws the case out of court on a technicality. Protagonist Lt. Cam Richter shortly thereafter receives an e-mail with K-Dog strapped into a makeshift electric chair. A vigilante has taken matters into their own hands. After K-Dog is executed on line the vigilante promises "Flash" will be next. Cam and his sidekick Kenny Cox are on th...more
Tom Tischler
Two lowlifes rob a N.C. gas station murder the attendant and
incinerate bystanders. They are quickly arrested at a nearby
motel. A stubborn judge dismisses the charges because the suspects
were not read their rights. Now the sheriffs office and Lt. Cam
Richter must face the anger of the victims families. Soon a home
made video is on the internet showing one of the murderers being
executed with a home made electric chair and a voice announcing
"That's one". Facing intense pressure to find the vigilant...more
Irene
An excellent mystery with many twists and turns, especially at the end.

When 2 minimart robbers who blew up the minimart, killing the clerk and 2 innocent bystanders are let off by a judge by a technicality, a vigilante group surfaces seeking justice. Justice comes in terms of an internet video starring the minimart robber being electrocuted in a homemade electric chair with the executioner ending the video saying "That's one." Number two, the second robbers video shortly follows, ending with "T...more
Phaedrus
Do yourself a favor and get the paperback version. The Kindle version is full of conversion errors. ("the" = "die"???) Don't they proofread them?
That aside, I have mixed feelings about this book. The story is good, although a bit far-fetched in places. If I ignored the mental questions that kept bubbling up, then there were some gripping moments. However, there were also parts that felt contrived. Some of the dialogue, in particular, didn't come across well.
This is the first in a series, and af...more
Sonja
Mar 23, 2014 Sonja marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Dlytle
I love a mystery with surprise twists. Even though I suspected the guilty, I was still surpised at how it played out. This is my second Cam Richter novel,and while I liked both, I definitely preferred this one.
Jan
This is the first of P.T. Deutermann's books for me.. and I will be reading more. In this suspense novel,Police Lieutenant Cam Richter is trying to solve multiple murders. But are the murders cops or vigilantes, or both? Friends become enemies and enemies become friends. "We are inside the law-enforcement system".. This is a direct quote from the book and as Cam realizes he is in for the fight of his life, the reader realizes everything is not as it seems. Who are the good guys? Who are the bad...more
Lauren
Had some foul language (and a few pages voiced by the extremely potty-mouthed robber) and two characters that got together for sex, but it was neither descriptive or graphic. There was a few segments of significant violence that was graphic enough that I skipped over a few paragraphs. The good part of this book was that it was totally unpredictable. I also liked the realism of it, having months go by in the book for the investigation. Of course the entire pretext of the book isn't very realistic...more
Sammie
I am surprised this author is not more well known! He writes a really great series, lots of action and keeps your interest. Really enjoyed this book.
Joe Newell
I thought this book was a good read. It had an interesting plot that played itself out very well throughout the book. Deutermann did a good job keeping me engaged the entire time. My only complaint was that it seemed like it should have ended sooner. Like the Author just added a few dozen extra twists and turns to the plot and finale that were (to me) perhaps a bit unnecessary. Still, it IS A THRILLER, and so that's what we read for right?

Four stars. Very worth your time should you be inclined....more
Jo
Jul 30, 2009 Jo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
Dick Hills reading of this book was very good.
The book itself was good but not great. Therefor the three star rating. Got a bit too detailed and repetitive in spots which made me pay less attention to the story. I will "read" the following books in his series to see if the story/writing progresses as it goes forward. Some writers John Grisham (A Time to Kill)start by writing their best work. I hope this is not the case for this author.
Shugak
I found this book/author listed on another website. This is the first in a series and halfway through I am very pleased with the storyline and the telling of the story. Completed the book and was very pleased. The story ending was not neatly wrapped...was to much story to to that. Will be looking for the next book in the series. Interesting story, believable characters. Highly recommended.
Annie
After reading the fourth book in this series, I was intrigued enough to pick up the lst Cam Richter story to learn the back story of how it all began. Definitely worth the read. I'm also new to Deutermann but I like his style, the pace he sets, and the characters he has created. I'll no doubt start checking out his other books, outside of this series, as well.
Katy
Mar 12, 2008 Katy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a page-turner; and not looking for something memorable.
Deutermann is a new find for me. He writes mystery thrillers, sometimes in the spy arena and sometimes cop stories. I find he keeps me turning pages, but his fondness for a "big twist" at the end turns me off a little. His characters are likeable and his plots intrigue me. When I find his books in the library or used bookstore I grab them.
Marci
This is a fast paced thriller which was hard to put down. A robbery gone wrong in which two civilians get killed. The problem when the preps are arrested they are not read their Miranda rights. They are set free, but a vigilant group picks up where the law left off...could the vigilantes be cops? Looking forward to further adventures with Cam.
Kathy
This book started slow, with a scene that did not seem to fit in with the rest of the book (it matched the title, though). A little before pg. 200, it all started to come together & from then on it was pretty much nonstop. I did enjoy it & would read another book by Mr. Deutermann.
Julie
It's quite a page-turner and I like how just when I thought I knew how it would end, I was wrong. I never guessed the bad guy until just a few paragraphs before the reveal, and Deutermann kept the pedal to the floor all the way to the end. Whew. I'll be looking up some more Deutermann.
Sherry
I can relate to some of the characters in this book and their desire for revenge of crimes committed that have fallen through the cracks due to an imbalance of our judicial system. A little disappointed. The plot became predictable about 3/4 through the book.
Barbara Huskey
I listened to this audiobook and think that I will probably have to read his books in the future. There was a LOT of profanity, which I find to be very distracting. I prefer to be able to skim over it, which is hard to do for audio. It was an interesting story though.
Susan Ward
I actually read this book a few years ago, but now am listening to it on CD. I love P.T. Deutermann's books!

Didn't realize that this is the first Cam Richter book. It is very suspenseful with lots of twists. Thoroughly enjoyed it (again).
Beth
I chose to listen to this book, because the reader, Dick Hill, is fabulous. I am glad I did; I can;t wait to listen to the next in the series. This is a high energy mystery; just the right amount of twists and turns with lots of danger added in.
Kat
This story kept me on my toes and there were some really good plot twists. I listened to it on audiobook and it was well done. The thing being- it was too long and the ended was very contrived. It was a good book but it got annoying...
Renee
An enjoyable mystery to listen to on audio book, with enough plot twists to keep me going back. Dick Hill's narration is a plus. I am going to give the next in the series a try if the library has it.
Carol
I like the way he jumps from one exciting moment to another. Never heard of "cat dancers"...maybe because they do not exist. Thanks for another exciting novel, and I even have my husband interested.
Chuck
Unusual story about a vigilante cell seeing that justice is done when the
judicial systems fails. This is a pretty good story but is not up to P.T.'s standard.
Babs
I loved this book and it was a first for me to read a cop story. Lt. Cam is an interesting character. It reminds me of another crime that took place in NC
Ratforce
This page-turning thriller of vigilantes and conspiracies often appeals to fans of Clive Cussler and Lee Child. It is also available as an audiobook.
Vickie
First book I read by this author. It was ok. Few interesting plot twists, but ultimately felt it was too long and I was a little uninterested toward the end.
P.T. Deutermann's Work-Incredibly Subtle Spoofs 1 3 Aug 12, 2014 11:46AM
Plausibility and Lack of 1 2 Jul 27, 2014 11:46PM
  • Watch Me
  • Hell's Bay (Thorn, #10)
  • Harvest / Life Support
  • Blood Money (Jack Swyteck #10)
  • Legends
  • Saints Of New York
  • Backpack
  • Vertical Run
  • Ice Trap
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • The Serial Killers Club
  • Cell 8
  • The Second Horseman
  • The Blue Hour
  • Color Me Beautiful
  • The Gaudi Key
  • Cirklens Ende (Bjørn Beltø, #1)
  • Crafting the Body Divine: Ritual, Movement, and Body Art
P. T. Deutermann is a retired Navy captain and has served in the joint Chiefs of Staff as an arms control specialist. He is the author of sixteen novels, and lives in North Carolina. His World War II adventure novel Pacific Glory won the W. Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction, administered by the American Library Association. His most recent novel is Ghosts of Bungo Suido, pu...more
More about P.T. Deutermann...
Spider Mountain (Cam Richter, #2) Hunting Season Pacific Glory Nightwalkers (Cam Richter, #4) The Moonpool (Cam Richter, #3)