The Color of Death

The Color of Death (Rarities Unlimited #4)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  2,264 ratings  ·  51 reviews
The name Elizabeth Lowell has become synonymous with electrifying fiction that seamlessly combines suspense, intrigue, and passion. And now the phenomenal "New York Times" bestselling author brilliantly displays her incomparable talents in a story of treachery, greed, conspiracy, and murder that will hold the reader spellbound until the final word.

It is the opportunity of...more
Published June 15th 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published June 1st 2004)

krisy
Jan 11, 2014 krisy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to krisy by: mom (never listening to her again)

i didn't even bother finishing it because i just really care about my own health and well-being.
Emily
Kate Chandler is a gem cutter whose brother was killed when acting as a courier for a group of gems she cut, brilliant sapphires known as the Seven Sins. Special Agent Sam Groves is on a special task force trying to figure out who is roughing up gem couriers and stealing the contents of their deliveries. When Kate tries to get the FBI to look into her brother's death, she gets a death threat of her own, and no one at the FBI will take her seriously except Sam.
This book is part of a series known...more
Robin
When Gem Cutter Kate Chandler's brother, Lee, disappears with the seven rare Blue Sapphires called the Seven Sins, she worries that something terrible has happened to him. The FBI believe he stole the precious stones and left the country. So, she beings investigating herself. FBI Agent Sam Groves is assigned to a task force trying to stop the rise in gem thefts. When he sees Kate stealing a sapphire from a gem dealer, he tracks her down thinking she will lead him to the organization behind the t...more
Linda
I actually started this book a few days ago and thought I had added it to my read shelf, but guess I messed up somehow. Anyway, finished the book this morning. Although this book wasn't one of the Donovan family/St. Kilda suspense stories, it followed the same general premise. A young woman (Kate) who is a gem cutter, is out to find out what happened to her half-brother, Lee, who was a gem courier and was transporting some sapphires that she had cut for a client. Lee disappears and so do the gem...more
Bree
Elizabeth Lowell has a habit of writing about jewels. In this eBook, Kate Chandler is a skilled cutter, shaping a unique set of sapphires that end up costing her brother his life. Kate is strong, and a bit pushy, just how I like my modern heroines. She's determined to get to the bottom of the mystery of the sapphires and her brother, with or without the FBI. While she's taking her search to the next level, we encounter the hero. Sam isn't your typical hero. He's a bit rough around the edges, an...more
Ana T.
I had some trouble grading this book. This is a romantic suspense story, however I never felt I knew enough of the characters or the story to care about them and be intrigued.

Kate's half brother has disappeared with a fortune in jewels. Kate, who is a gem cutter, is trying to find the truth and very much fearing he is dead. The cops classified said disappearence as voluntary and she must be discreet because she has received death threats.

Sam Groves is an FBI agent who watches Kate switching a sa...more
Angela
dispatches from the library
Because it took me way too long to finish this (mostly my fault) it was chopped up - but I still did not enjoy it as much as I do her most recently published novels. The entire turning point of the novel (when they figure out who the bad guy is) happens in one sentence, at the beginning of a chapter, about 310 pages in (on my Nook) and it happens when one of the main characters wakes up the next day - and says, "I wonder if so-and-so is doing it?" I mean - it's that blunt and so random - I know...more
Pamela
This is the second book of E. Lowell's I've read and it is now my last. This book was worse than her other one (see my review of "Innocent as Sin"). This book was about stolen gem stones and murder. The book went into way too much detail about gem stones. The author might as well have written a book about it instead of a suspense novel (if you could call it suspense).

Just like the other book I read of hers, this one also ended abruptly. There was no explanation given as to why the thief/killer...more
Cupcakencorset
Although this book is listed as the 4th in the Rarities Unlimited series, it has nothing at all to do with the previous three. There is no overlap in the characters (employees of the company from which the series name was derived) or even in the theme (mystical qualities associated with antiquities), and I found that very distracting in the first third of the book, as I kept expecting the cast of characters to shift to include those people. When that didn’t occur, I let it go, but I’m still puzz...more
Wench
Elizabeth Lowell has a whole bunch of these action-mystery-romance mashups, most having to do with gemstones. Sometimes it's antiquities. Anyway. Expensive shit people would plausibly kill for. And there is always a lot of killing in these books, described in just enough detail to make sure you understand these are BAD. PEOPLE.

This is more of the same. I don't know if it's because I've read a lot of these or if I'm just getting better at it in general, but I pegged the villain behind it all abo...more
Cathleen Ash
Kate's on a mission: find out what happened to her brother. As a world-class gem-cutter, she was commissioned to create seven rare, priceless sapphires - cutting them with precision - making them the only set of their kind in existence.
Sam, the FBI agent trying to track a ring of jewel thieves, follows her, thinking her actions at the jewel shows warrant more attention. He even thinks she may be involved with the gang who switched expensive stones for fakes.
Together, they might be able to figu...more
Viji
It is a fast paced thriller dealing with the intricacies of the gem trade.
Lisa Tsuruda
I am currently listening to this one! It focuses on a gem cutter and how she will not give up on the missing person's case for her half brother. She ends up with the help of FBI agent Sam and of course there's chemistry all over the place!!!! An interesting look at the gem world and how people kill couriers to intercept and take gems. I really hope they find the 7 Deadly Sins (a set of cut sapphires that the heroine has cut and has been missing just like her brother)! I'll keep you posted!
Barbara
Eh. Not bad but really, "mutt" eighteen thousand times. Distracting to say the least (at about 500). LOVED the sapphires. :-) And quite OK with the H/H.
Debbie
This book was slow moving, and had too many characters to follow along. It was not a smooth read lyrically speaking, and several times I felt myself stumbling over sentences that didn't make sense. I have read other Elizabeth Lowell books, but this is one I won't recommend! I only gave it 2 stars because of the Author, and the pretense of what the story was suppose to evoke. But since it came short it didn't reach past 2 stars.
Yona
I liked this book very much. This is the first book by Elizabeth Lowell, that i've read and I wasn't disappointed at all, i'm goint to read more books from this author.
The story was interesting and written pretty well. I lked the characters of Sam and Kate. And the way they fall in love in each other and how they managed to discover who is kileer of her brother.
I recommend this book to everyone.
Tammy
I didn't even bother finishing this book. I read part of it because I was desperate and waiting for my next amazon shipment. I read one of her other books 'Always Time To Die' and this was just more of the same. Main female character has some drama going on, male authority figure comes along and they are hot for each other, he helps her, blah blah blah. I couldn't stomach the same story again.
Apryl Mason
I liked this series, but this last book really had nothing to do with the others. And while I loved reading them, I felt like there was so much build up that I kept thinking to myself, "There's no way she can wrap this up in 15 pages." But she does and it sucks. All that detail and they just miraculously get resolved in 5 pages. I wanted more in the how and why departments. Oh well.
J. Ewbank
This was not as good as some of her work, for me, anyway. A female jewelsy cutter is working hard to become the best in her trade but something goes wrong in the transfer of jewels to her and this begins the story.

A decent fead for mystery readers.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Christina George
Didn't even mention Rarities Unlimited or any of the characters (that I could remember, anyway), so in my opinion, book #4 was sorely lacking.

If I had not been expecting that, I would have enjoyed it much more.

I will spare readers the hassle of reading about the book again(!).
Heather
Definitely one of Lowell's more "raw masculine" renditions of crime romance. Several twists and I did NOT predict who the killer was. Good page Turner. I love how all of her books focus on an unexpected…maybe even rare trades with the common denominator of crime, mystery and romance.
Ann Bateman
Seven museum-quality sapphires, cut by master gem cutter Kate Chandler, disappear and her brother is murdered. As more crimes are committed and clues amassed, you'll learn all about the fascinating gem industry while being entertained by a good read.
Christina
What a disappointment. I really enjoyed The Wrong Hostage and thought that Elizabeth Lowell had real promise for thrillers. The Color of Death was a drag. There were bad melodramatic moments and the story line just plodded on from chapter to chapter.
Connie
This was a very good story. The twists and turns kept me turning pages. I was upset when the story ended only because I really liked the main characters and I wanted to keep reading about their relationship after all the smoke cleared.
C K
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Carol
Oct 10, 2008 Carol rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who like murder mysteries
There are way too many characters to keep track of, but the plot was fast paced. I thought I had the villan figured out, but I was wrong. I learned a lot about saphires, gem shows and gem cutting.
Lauren
A solid story.
However, in an attempt to merge romance and suspense both of these seem to suffer. The chemistry between the main characters isn't right and the mystery is formulaic.
Mary
Well written and the world of gem cutters and dealers was different and interesting. I did figure out the who and why before the end of the book which is a little less fun.
Nicole Mcenerney
Wish I could give 3.5 stars. It picks up fairly quickly but is confusing at times. Was able to figure out the end if book, but it was close to the end by the time I did.
  • Smoke in Mirrors
  • Murder List (Buchanan-Renard #4)
  • Killing Kelly (Soap Opera #3)
  • Long After Midnight
  • Dying to Please
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • Always a Thief
  • Bait
  • Tempting Fate
  • I'll Be Watching You
  • The Kill (Predator Trilogy, #3)
  • Now You Die (Bullet Catcher, #6)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Jade Island (Donovan, #2)