Start by marking “Home-Field Advantage” as Want to Read:
Home-Field Advantage

Home-Field Advantage

Imagine the toughest, meanest-looking, strongest NFL player you can. Now imagine him growing up while being bossed around and pushed around by his five older sisters. The comical scenes are endless and Justin shows that toughness comes in all forms. Illustrations from newcomer Leonardo Rodriguez to make a picture book that appeals to a wide audience.
Published August 30th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Home-Field Advantage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home-Field Advantage

Janet
Oct 19, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it
In the world in which I live, picture-book writers ARE celebrities. So picture books by "celebrity authors" strike me as singularly unnecessary. But I'll make an exception for this surprisingly charming contribution to the genre by New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck. The story, presented as autobiographical, shows how growing up with five older sisters rendered Tuck tough enough to succeed in the NFL, specifically through the familiar childhood trauma of getting an unwanted haircut from ...more
Emily Copeland
Nov 07, 2016 Emily Copeland rated it really liked it
Summary: Home-Field Advantage is about Justin Tuck a NFL superstar when he was growing up as the youngest brother with 5 older sister and 1 older brother. He tells the story of how he becomes strong because he had to put up with 5 sisters his whole life! He focuses on a time when his twin sisters cut his hair very badly into a reverse mohawk without really giving him the chance to say no! At the end he is embarrassed of the hair and doesn't know what to think of how his sisters treated him, but ...more
Christine Turner

Notes
Justin Tuck was born in Coosa County, Alabama, and went on to play for the University of Notre Dame. A Pro Bowl defensive end, he plays for the
Kat
Jun 10, 2015 Kat rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, 2015
Basic Plot: A football player gets tough because of the antics of his five sisters.

I am really not up on football lately, especially not the Giants. My little guy's usual method of picking library books (grab a couple of things off the shelf without looking) is what put this into the nightly reading lineup. I suppose if I were more into football, or him as a player, I would be more excited about this.

The book starts out promising- the football player says he got tough because of his 5 sisters. T
Yelena
Sep 27, 2011 Yelena rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When I saw the "NFL Superstar" above the author's name, I feared the worst. However, compared to many horrendous celebrity picture books out there, this one is really not bad. Bright caricature-style cartoonish illustrations in a variety of perspectives, angles, and diverse layouts are full of mischief and energy (though some of the facial expressions are rendered somewhat poorly).
Matthew
May 08, 2012 Matthew rated it liked it
This was a funny story of how five sisters drove Justin Tuck to prepare for a career in professional football by giving him reason to learn to fend off their crazier ideas. I'll be honest, I didn't get the connection to the title. I understand the basic idea behind the analogy but it was kind of weak. An okay book for sports fans.
Renee
Aug 25, 2015 Renee rated it liked it
Used this for my Preschool Story Class for a sports theme. Cute story about how this now NFL player was made tough by growing up with his 5 sisters. In this book, he recounts when his little sisters gave him a haircut that didn't end up the way they expected. That first picture of him with his "haircut" got a chuckle from the parents! Also a nice story about families.
Stephen
Jul 12, 2015 Stephen rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I really like the artwork for the book and it's a typically funny sibling story but it is lacking something to make it really memorable. Kudos for the foundation he and his wife started for children's literacy in New York City and Central Alabama communitites.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
This humorous look at NY Giants defensive and tight end Justin Tuck's childhood in a family of five girls and one brother is sure to delight young children. The illustrations add to the fun of this story that stresses the importance of family in who we ultimately become.
Emily Scheinman
A window into the life of Justin Tuck growing up as the youngest boy in his loving family. Illustrations compliment the text to share with readers the adventures Justin and his siblings shared and the love that endures.
Kim Patton
Dec 13, 2011 Kim Patton rated it liked it
Written by NFL player Justin Tuck, this book simply tells a story about his experience growing up with five sisters. Great illustrations, but the story was pretty simple. I'm sure young football fans will enjoy this story about family.
Jen
Nov 06, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb, storytime
This book had great watercolors and used white space by not painting it in but still showing the reader what the objects were. Cute faces on kids.
Ambree
Feb 17, 2016 Ambree rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this funny story. It is based on the life of an NFL athlete. My students, (especially all of my boys) will love this story.
Dale
Oct 22, 2012 Dale rated it liked it
This is a cute story, but I honestly had different expectations of Justin's sisters' involvement. I'm sure they had their share of brawls and tumble time that added to his character as well.
Stefani
Sep 30, 2011 Stefani rated it it was ok
I don't get what the title has to do with the story. I liked the concept, but the writing seemed over simplified.
Angela
Sep 06, 2011 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
As far as celebrity books go, this one was better than expected. Maybe I just like the message that growing up with a bunch of sisters made him stronger...but this is a good sibling story.

Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Brendan
Brendan rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2015
Jennifer Rummel
Jennifer Rummel rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Kyra Harwell
Kyra Harwell rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Eli
Eli rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2013
Andrea Schreiber
Andrea Schreiber rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Tiffunee
Tiffunee rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2012
Maggie Burgess
Maggie Burgess rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Alesha
Alesha rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2015
Rhonda K
Rhonda K rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2013
Racheal
Racheal rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2016