Start by marking “1 Zany Zoo” as Want to Read:
1 Zany Zoo

1 Zany Zoo

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Have you ever wondered what happens at the zoo before the gates open? Foxes who steal keys, beavers who cook chili, hyenas who play the blues…when no one is looking, anything can happen! Readers won’t believe the antics of these wacky animals, and they’ll have a blast counting along with the simple text as they encounter each increasingly crazy creature. First-time illustr ...more
Published July 20th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 1 Zany Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1 Zany Zoo

Fox by Margaret WildThe Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck by Beatrix PotterMy Lucky Day by Keiko KaszaThe Tomten and the Fox by Astrid LindgrenRosie's Walk by Pat Hutchins
Picture books about foxes
56th out of 114 books — 24 voters
There Was a Wee Lassie Who Swallowed a Midgie by Rebecca ColbyMiss Dorothy-Jane Was Ever So Vain by Julie FultonDon't Turn the Page! by Rachelle BurkTabitha Posy Was Ever So Nosy. Author, Julie Fulton by Julie FultonMrs Maccready Was Ever So Greedy by Julie Fulton
Bedtime Stories
23rd out of 59 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

The rhymes were cute, but I found the lively illustrations too distracting, too busy. It's too busy for a group storytime. The cover is a much better example of illustration, being lively yet uncluttered. It might have been my crusty old-person's eyes, but I had trouble seeing in the illustrations what was described in the text because of the sketchy style and the general busy-ness of the art. It is aimed at age 3 and up, and the counting concept might work for them, but illustration still seems ...more
Hannah Givens
Love the chunky art and everything happening on each page. It might not be a good choice for group story time, but perfect for older kids or two or three who want to spend a lot of time on each page, pointing out all the funny things. I loved playing "spot the fox" on each new page. :D
Hey this was lots of fun. Been a long time since I read a little kids book. Highly reccommend it for all those 2-6 year olds out there...It was in English & all around! Makes me want to visit a zoo again!
It’s catchy, it’s rhymes’ and has a cute story line. It's one of my favorites to read at bedtime.
Jazmin Palma
Great book to read. With this children can learn about different animals and counting. It is a fun and silly book to read to children. While reading the book the children can describe the animals and even pretend to be that animal by making the sound they make or walking like them. I would also bring in different pictures of animals. It would make a great animal safari theme.
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
A little boy waiting in line for the zoo to open, sneaks into the zoo through a hidden gate. What he see is that the zoo isn’t quite ready to open yet. The fox has escaped, the zebras are swimming with the walruses and the beavers are cooking chilli! All the animals are going ZANY while the zookeeper tries to get them to behave.

Why I liked this book – What kid wouldn’t want to get into the zoo before it opens and see what is going on?!? This is a hilarious book! The rhyme is perfect and it is ve
1 Zany Zoo is a nominee for the 2012-13 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

The best part about 1 Zany Zoo has to be the illustrations. Colin Jack's exciting pictures bring to mind Disney favorites, most especially the Banks' children's journey into the magical paintings in Mary Poppins. Children will enjoy counting the different animals in this book as well as looking for the mischievous fox that has stolen the zookeeper's keys. (He appears in every panel--in some form or fashion.)

I'd love to rea
Jennifer Parker
I liked the creative writing and counting added into it. However I didn't much care for the characteristics drawn out of the animals.
I Zany Zoo is a fun read. Catchy rhyme, tongue-twistery word combos, a counting element, and a wacky story that brings to mind Dr. Seuss's And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street combine for a reading experience that will leave your little ones enchanted and asking you to read it again. My favorite line? "2 sporty zebras in goggles and flippers/were snipping the walrus's whiskers with clippers." And the end begs the question: did this REALLY happen, or was the boy letting his imagination r ...more
Cute cute. Would make a good 3rd grade tour book. Has good cadence and rhyme.
This was a good rhyming book for my 4-year-old because the story was short and there were things for him to look for on the pages.

Inside the Zoo, "1 fearless fox grabbed the zookeeper's keys. He used them to set all the animals free."

Each page counts a different number of animals so my child could count the animals plus look for other things that were mentioned . . .

"6 groovy 'roos tapped the beat with their shoes,
and laughing hyenas sang rhythm and blues.
A lizard in sunglasses wailed on the
Stephanie Skolmoski
What would happen if you could see what zoo animals do when no one is looking? That very thing happened to a boy as he watched a fox steal the keys to the zoo cages and let the animals free. The hippos played musical chairs, the kangaroos had a band, the monkeys played hid-'n-seek , what a great free-for-all! But just before the zoo was to open, the zoo keeper found his keys and put order back.

What a delightful story to read to a child. You are sure to laugh with them as each page is turned. The
FUN, with spot on rhyme. Absolutely loved it!
Jun 29, 2014 Christine marked it as to-read
I met Lori at ALA and she is awesome!
Absolutely love this book. I got it off a Cheerios box and is worth a paid version. My daugther loved the pictures of animals, the counting and the flow of the rhymes. Every once in a while, you could get tripped up in the wording. A good read. My daughters favorite line "Get back in your cages." She could barely talk and loved saying that part. I loved reading it. I found it more entertaining when I read it out loud.
A good one for storytime, this counting book features irresistable rhymes ("I tried to imagine what else they had planned / Then somebody hollered, 'Come hear the new band!'") and a Seussian behind-the-scenes plot involving pilfered keys and jinks that can only be described as hi. The energetic, colorful, sketchy-scratchy illustration is reminiscent of the jazzier scenes in the old Jungle Book.
What happens when one sneaky fox lets all the animals out of their cages? One zany zoo full of animals misbehaving. My kindergartners will enjoy this rhyming, counting book and will get a kick out of the animals' antics. I did find the pictures very busy, and some of them are too small or detailed to enjoy without close inspection. A fine choice for school and public libraries.
This is a very cute book about what happens before the zoo is opened to visitors. It is a great book to read to students who are taking a field trip to the zoo. At the end of the story, students can add up all the animals that were zany in the zoo.
LOVED this book. The writing and prose are superbly clever, and the illustrations marvelously compliment the story. Lori should become a full-time author and continue her writing for children and adults who are young at heart.
Angie crosby
Troy sat with me through half of this book. These days that is so rare, he must have liked it. He also pointed to different animals throughout.

I liked the rhyming of it. Cute story.
(3.5 stars)

A boy sneaks into the zoo while everyone is in line waiting for it to open. He is surprised to see how wild all the animals are!
When the zoo is closed the animals act very different. This silly read will have kids giggling and reading again and again.
For story corner: Nice 123 theme, with lots or rhymes and a neat drawing style. Fun with all the animals too.
illustrations were a bit scary looking for the audience it was going for.
Edward Sullivan
Enjoyed the text but the cartoon illustrations are disappointing.
Anastasia Ely
Very cute, always fun to find new counting books.
This is one zany book. It was fun to read and look at.
This book came free in a Cheerios box.
Cute! Would read again.
  • 123 versus ABC
  • My Farm Friends
  • Apple Trouble!
  • Shape by Shape
  • Never Take a Shark to the Dentist: (and Other Things Not to Do)
"Lori Degman is a teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing by day and a children's book author by night, weekend, and school holiday. She writes in rhyme, most of the time - but not always!

Lori is the author of award winning, 1 Zany Zoo (Simon & Schuster in 2010) and Cock-a-Doodle Oops! (Creston Books, 2014).
More about Lori Degman...