Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1

Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1 (Sugar Sugar Rune #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  1,106 ratings  ·  39 reviews
QUEEN OF HEARTS

Little witch-girls Chocolat and Vanilla are best friends, but only one of them can be Queen of the Magic World. To determine who deserves the title, they must go to the Human World and enter a strange competition. Whoever attracts the most human boys . . . wins!

Here’s how it works: When a boy falls for a witch-girl, she utters a few mystic words and the boy’...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Del Rey (first published 2004)

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
163rd out of 563 books — 1,154 voters
Sailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko TakeuchiCardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 by CLAMPCodename by Naoko TakeuchiShugo Chara!, Vol. 1 by Peach-PitTokyo Mew Mew, Vol. 01 by Mia Ikumi
Magical Girl Manga
20th out of 37 books — 56 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Seemingly cute and geared toward young girls, Sugar Sugar Rune is the story of two young witches, Chocolat and Vanilla sent to the human world. Once there, they are to compete against one another in winning more human boy hearts to win the title of Queen of the Magic World. Chocolat and Vanilla are best friends as well as rivals but where Chocolat is bold and defiant, Vanilla is shy and timid. Let the romance begin!

Sugar Sugar Rune is definitely not what it seems. On the outside it looks to be a...more
Jessica
Jul 20, 2012 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one who enjoys a good shoujo story!
Some spoilers ahead if you haven't read Book One! Just a heads up. :)

That being said, I absolutely MUST review book one of this amazing series that I think is completely under-rated in the Manga world. It may have spawned an Anime series (which was awful) and a Nintendo DS game (which was fair) but the Manga is and will always be the greatest form of this story.

Right at the start you are instantly introduced to our two leading females, a bold and brash red head named Chocolat Meilleure and a ti...more
Xuxa
Witches, Chocolat and Vanilla, are best friends. However, they are also competing to be the next Queen of the Magical World. To find out who is better suited, they are sent to the human world to steal the hearts of young boys, since humans can have another heart. Chocolat thought it would be easy, but apparently human boys don’t like girls with strong personality, and prefer quiet and shy girls like Vanilla. And to make matters worse, Chocolat has to deal with the cool Pierre. She must be caref...more
Bucletina
May 19, 2011 Bucletina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Los clientes de La Revisteria xD
Recommended to Bucletina by: El Blog
Insípido, por momentos irritante, inverosimil, plagado de clichés. Decí que el dibujo es medianamente lindo y que, por momentos, tiene ciertos toques más "josei", o al menos que contrastan mucho con el resto de las situaciones del manga, hiper shojos e infantiloides. Ojalá se tire más para ese lado en los demás tomos, que no tengo ninguna intención de leer.
*Queen Diva*
This manga is pretty cutesie. The story seems cute and different, and I really like the art. It feels really old, even though its not (the series started in 2004). I like when artwork in manga differs a bit and isn't exactly like something else.

Though, I was really -_- at Vanilla's "Japanese" name being Vanilla Ice... I think we all know that is not Japanese at all -_- It wasn't even funny.

I haven't read a manga in a while (or ever... but I can't be entirely sure) where the main characters were...more
Shazza Maddog
No, really. Those are the names of the two main characters, who happen to be ten year old girls...er...witches. Chocolat is loud and sharp and fond of pretending to be a spider. Vanilla is sweet and shy and doesn't know how to stand up for herself. Of course, they're best friends - but also rivals, as they have been sent to Earth to collect boys' hearts. Whoever collects the most hearts becomes the next queen of the witches.

Now, by collecting hearts, we're not talking about things reminiscent of...more
Meth Randall
This series fascinated me so much when I was in middle school. My best friend was in love with the series and it sort of became a collective memory as a part of my childhood. That aside, the magical elements, the romance and the story and the ART was just so fantastic.
Jocilyn
Mahou shoujo at its best! Moyoco Anno really impressed me (and sucked me in) with this series. The characters, plot, pacing and art are all highly enjoyable... nay, addicting. The juxtaposition between Chocolat and her best friend Vanilla is adorable. I am really excited about reading this series and I can't wait to see what's around the corner for these teen witch acolytes.
Pakou Xiong
I read a cool and magical book that is called sugar sugar rune. The author of this book is Moyoco Anno. Here is some part of the story,Best friends Chocolat and Vanilla are as different as night and day: Chocolat is a rowdy tomboy who always says what she thinks, while Vanilla is the quiet, shy daughter of the Queen of the Magic World! When, like their mothers before them, Chocolat and Vanilla are selected to be the rival Queen Candidates competing to become Queen of the Magic World, Chocolat an...more
Nicole West
I adore this book about heart collecting witches. It's so awesome it's definitely going on my favorites list.
Natasha
Sugar Sugar Rune features two girls who are very different. Vanilla is quiet and shy, to the point where she cries instead of introducing hersefl to people. Chocola is brash and violent, unapologetic even though she is clearly in the wrong sometimes. Their story is interesting, but it has a tendency to flow toward the shoujo relationship-type stories, which just aren't my cup of tea. Still, there's enough magic and jokes to make this series worth reading even if you aren't interested in the idea...more
Selena

God, that was terrible. The art wasn't very good, and neither was the story. And the inconsistencies... Chocolat gets a pink heart--states that it's a pink heart--and then not even ten pages later says that i was orange. This couldn't have been a translation error because the words for orange and pink are nothing alike, unless the person just wasn't paying any attention. Either way, FAIL.

Not worth it. Just... not worth it.
Sushin Dahal
It was okay. the book is not that good. It's a really cute story, and it was fun to read. it was very interesting, since i haven't heard about a book like this. In the end it was cute, but it just wasn't the type of books i read. The art was good, i loved the way she drew the background, building, clothes, and everything else. I guess, i was a little bias before i read the book, but i kind of don't like the books with the charters drawn with huge eyes. sorry.
Lord
Who'd expect shoujo from a renowned josei author Moyoco Anno? Will her manga be good without sex and everything that goes with it? The answer is yes. Her original art is more detailed than in some of her well-known earlier series like Happy Mania (that could be due to an increased number of assistants) and the story is fresh and original as well. At least the first volume is a solid start of this kinda harrypotterish series. I'm looking forward to volume 2!
Starbubbles
the artwork takes some getting used to, since it's atypical of current manga style. the story is okay, it does pick up in the end. i don't exactly approve of this 'gotta make people love me, then steal thier hearts' business, but whatever. if it's at the library, i might read more, but i'm definatley not buying.
okay, i lied i purchased it and the next volume. i still maintain the 2 star status though.
Emmy Lou
I almost bought this book years ago when I was collecting Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. I should have. I would have enjoyed it a lot more then than I did now.

The concept of capturing emotions in the form of crystal hearts is intriguing, but that's about all I can say for this series. I probably won't continue it.
Chelsea
This series is really fun with a lot of great characters!

This volume contains chapters 1 - 6
Rune 1.) Chocolat, Hearts, and the Shooting Star
Rune 2.) Heart of Chocolat, Heart of Vanilla
Rune 3.) Unscheduled Newspaper Club Interview
Rune 4.) Christmas Party Romp!
Runes 5 & 6.) Feeling the Pink Heart (2 parts)
Ren Kouha
(Squeal!) One of my most fave animes/mangas ever! So much magic with witches and ogres. Also, the magic world is like a candyland! Great and delicious idea! And the romance and humor really top it off! Chocolat is my most favorite character; she's a reckless girl who could also be caring at times too!
Bookkitten
Jul 13, 2013 Bookkitten rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: witch & shojou manga fans
Ichabe das Buch letztes Jahr gelesen, nachdem ich auf Youtube einige Folgen des Anime gesehen hatte. Die Geschichte an sich, ist niedlich und ich mag die Zeichnungen, insbesondere von Cocola und Königin Candy. Wer diesen Manha findet, sollte ihm auf jeden Fall eine Chance geben.
Ben
Kind of insipid, didn't finish it. I can see why 8-10 year old girls might enjoy it though. Chocolate versus Vanilla in a race to steal hearts from young boys. Sounds like Valentine's day marketing at Hallmark had a sugar crash and then started drawing.
Whereis
I don't really know why people don't like this series. It's unique, creative, shoujo, and has a halloween vibe. I love it and while I originally read this as a teenager, I think anyone over the age of 9 would enjoy it if they enjoy magic.
Anja
My friend borrowed me her SSR manga and I loved it. It's so cute and kawaii and funny and I love Chocola and her relationship with Vanilla and friends. And my fangirl heart ships Pierre and Chocola so damn hard :33
Heather Wilmoth
I love the Chemistry between Chocola Meilleure and Pierre. Also, the constant fighting that Chocola Meilleure that she has with Vanilla's familiar Blanca. This is a AWESOME series!
Natalie Baker
This is an adorable story, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. I like Chocolat, and I hope things look up for her....How cute is Pierre??!
Dina
I read this series on Nakayoshi. At first I didn't really like it but this started to grow on me soon.

I really like Chocolat. She is strong and cheerful
Reader17 Der
This is a cute series, about two young witches that are competing to against each other to become queen of the magical world.
Naj
I tried to read this out of curiousity and the drawings get sloppy, the plot is stupid and it is even worse than Tokyo Mew Mew.
Lucy
Aw, this was really cute and nice. Maybe for a little bit younger readers, but still, I liked it alot!
May
Such a cute, fluffy series! It's a fun, light read that's very sparkly and sugary.
Jasmin
It was so entertaining . . not nearly as challenging though. ( :
  • Mistress Fortune
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 01
  • Love Monster (Volume 02)
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 02
  • Magical X Miracle, Vol. 1 (Magical x Miracle, #1)
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 4: Character Swap! (Shugo Chara!, #4)
  • Tokyo Mew Mew, Vol. 03
  • Othello (Volume 1)
  • Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)