Start by marking “Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #1)

Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1 (Sugar Sugar Rune #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,564 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
QUEEN OF HEARTS

Little witch-girls Chocolat and Vanilla are best friends, but only one of them can be Queen of the Magic World. To determine who deserves the title, they must go to the Human World and enter a strange competition. Whoever attracts the most human boys . . . wins!

Here’s how it works: When a boy falls for a witch-girl, she utters a few mystic words and the boy’
Published September 27th 2005 by Del Rey (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
151st out of 658 books — 1,495 voters
Sailor Moon, #1 by Naoko TakeuchiCardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 by CLAMPCodename by Naoko TakeuchiShugo Chara!, Vol. 1 by Peach-PitPuella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 01 by Magica Quartet
Magical Girl Manga
21st out of 47 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
Feb 04, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
Seemingly cute and geared toward young girls, Sugar Sugar Rune is the story of two young witches, Chocolat and Vanilla sent to the human world. Once there, they are to compete against one another in winning more human boy hearts to win the title of Queen of the Magic World. Chocolat and Vanilla are best friends as well as rivals but where Chocolat is bold and defiant, Vanilla is shy and timid. Let the romance begin!

Sugar Sugar Rune is definitely not what it seems. On the outside it looks to be a
Jessica
Jul 20, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any one who enjoys a good shoujo story!
Some spoilers ahead if you haven't read Book One! Just a heads up. :)

That being said, I absolutely MUST review book one of this amazing series that I think is completely under-rated in the Manga world. It may have spawned an Anime series (which was awful) and a Nintendo DS game (which was fair) but the Manga is and will always be the greatest form of this story.

Right at the start you are instantly introduced to our two leading females, a bold and brash red head named Chocolat Meilleure and a ti
Xuxa
Jun 27, 2012 Xuxa rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-on-my-blog
Witches, Chocolat and Vanilla, are best friends. However, they are also competing to be the next Queen of the Magical World. To find out who is better suited, they are sent to the human world to steal the hearts of young boys, since humans can have another heart. Chocolat thought it would be easy, but apparently human boys don’t like girls with strong personality, and prefer quiet and shy girls like Vanilla. And to make matters worse, Chocolat has to deal with the cool Pierre. She must be caref ...more
Michelle☆Elizabeth
The artwork on some of the characters is really beautiful and I like that. The concept is also cute. My problem is that there are text bubbles everywhere; they clutter the artwork and it's a bit confusing trying to read them all in order. Plus, Chocolate can be pretty annoying.
Anja
Sep 21, 2015 Anja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
for UnderHyped readathon.
I love this manga series, it's just so cute. also rereading this for the 5th time already. will never stop!
Athena Braun
Feb 07, 2016 Athena Braun rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
My son got this series from the library(only 1-5) and I told him he wasn't going to like it ..Here is the thing I like it more than he did lol!! At first I thought it was weird seeing as I don't normally read Manga which he loves. The story I thought at first was too cutesy and in some aspects it is..But Chocolat grows as a person and that is fun to see. Of course I love her attitude being a redhead myself lol. It is difficult to think of Chocolat and Vanilla as only ten years old..Sorry but at ...more
Sarah Cheney
Oct 31, 2014 Sarah Cheney rated it it was amazing
I was first attracted by the very different quirky dark and cute style. After reading the first volume I immediately bought the rest and years later I have again reread what I consider one of my top favorite manga (the anime is cute but no comparison). I expected the story to remain silly fun but the plot is actually detailed and engrossing. Despite the characters ages it also is very romantic. I fell in love with Pierre's character (if it could, I'm sure my heart would pop out as a gem) and was ...more
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
This collections of six stories is fun and exciting. While most of the stories revolve around the ever-angry Chocolat, Vanilla adds a sense of sweetness to the pages.

Moyoco Anno has created two enjoyable characters that young girls will love to read about. The artwork is great and the text flows well.

This book is mostly about kids having crushes on other kids. Of course, there is the evil Prince Pierre in there to stir up trouble. Personally, I thought Rockin' Robin was a girl at first. He is
Bucletina
May 19, 2011 Bucletina rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Los clientes de La Revisteria xD
Recommended to Bucletina by: El Blog
Insípido, por momentos irritante, inverosimil, plagado de clichés. Decí que el dibujo es medianamente lindo y que, por momentos, tiene ciertos toques más "josei", o al menos que contrastan mucho con el resto de las situaciones del manga, hiper shojos e infantiloides. Ojalá se tire más para ese lado en los demás tomos, que no tengo ninguna intención de leer.
Miss Ryoko
Nov 26, 2013 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
This manga is pretty cutesie. The story seems cute and different, and I really like the art. It feels really old, even though its not (the series started in 2004). I like when artwork in manga differs a bit and isn't exactly like something else.

Though, I was really -_- at Vanilla's "Japanese" name being Vanilla Ice... I think we all know that is not Japanese at all -_- It wasn't even funny.

I haven't read a manga in a while (or ever... but I can't be entirely sure) where the main characters were
Shazza Maddog
Sep 28, 2011 Shazza Maddog rated it it was ok
No, really. Those are the names of the two main characters, who happen to be ten year old girls...er...witches. Chocolat is loud and sharp and fond of pretending to be a spider. Vanilla is sweet and shy and doesn't know how to stand up for herself. Of course, they're best friends - but also rivals, as they have been sent to Earth to collect boys' hearts. Whoever collects the most hearts becomes the next queen of the witches.

Now, by collecting hearts, we're not talking about things reminiscent of
Rachel
Meth Randall
Jul 26, 2014 Meth Randall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, reviewed
This series fascinated me so much when I was in middle school. My best friend was in love with the series and it sort of became a collective memory as a part of my childhood. That aside, the magical elements, the romance and the story and the ART was just so fantastic.
Sara
Nov 14, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I absolutely loved it! It was my first manga back in 2009 and I still have times when i want to sit down and re-read it. The anime was ok, I watched both the Japanese and the Arabic dub, but neither of them will compare to the manga.
Thanh
(only marking the first volume though I read them all)
This is the umpteenth time I've picked this manga series up and it still gave me all the feels.
Jocilyn
Apr 22, 2014 Jocilyn rated it it was amazing
Mahou shoujo at its best! Moyoco Anno really impressed me (and sucked me in) with this series. The characters, plot, pacing and art are all highly enjoyable... nay, addicting. The juxtaposition between Chocolat and her best friend Vanilla is adorable. I am really excited about reading this series and I can't wait to see what's around the corner for these teen witch acolytes.
Leah Jones-barrett
Aug 05, 2014 Leah Jones-barrett rated it it was amazing
Loved this anime. Lots of interesting ideas, great drawing. I really liked the plot. I cant wait to finish the last of the mangas.
Nicole West
Jun 23, 2014 Nicole West rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites, comics
I adore this book about heart collecting witches. It's so awesome it's definitely going on my favorites list.
Marie H
Apr 26, 2015 Marie H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un premier tome tout mignon, des dessins vraiment beau, j'ai hâte de lire le tome 2!!
Laurianne
Aug 09, 2015 Laurianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C'est frais, mignon et original, j'ai bien aimé le fait de capturer des coeurs.
Jennette
Jan 06, 2015 Jennette rated it it was amazing
I freaking loved it i cant wait to read all the vols :)
Natasha
Jul 21, 2012 Natasha rated it liked it
Sugar Sugar Rune features two girls who are very different. Vanilla is quiet and shy, to the point where she cries instead of introducing hersefl to people. Chocola is brash and violent, unapologetic even though she is clearly in the wrong sometimes. Their story is interesting, but it has a tendency to flow toward the shoujo relationship-type stories, which just aren't my cup of tea. Still, there's enough magic and jokes to make this series worth reading even if you aren't interested in the idea ...more
Vicky Annisa
Jun 24, 2015 Vicky Annisa rated it liked it
nice story
Natasha
cool
Selena

God, that was terrible. The art wasn't very good, and neither was the story. And the inconsistencies... Chocolat gets a pink heart--states that it's a pink heart--and then not even ten pages later says that i was orange. This couldn't have been a translation error because the words for orange and pink are nothing alike, unless the person just wasn't paying any attention. Either way, FAIL.

Not worth it. Just... not worth it.
Sushin Dahal
Mar 13, 2014 Sushin Dahal rated it liked it
Shelves:
It was okay. the book is not that good. It's a really cute story, and it was fun to read. it was very interesting, since i haven't heard about a book like this. In the end it was cute, but it just wasn't the type of books i read. The art was good, i loved the way she drew the background, building, clothes, and everything else. I guess, i was a little bias before i read the book, but i kind of don't like the books with the charters drawn with huge eyes. sorry.
Lord
Jun 12, 2010 Lord rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, fantasy
Who'd expect shoujo from a renowned josei author Moyoco Anno? Will her manga be good without sex and everything that goes with it? The answer is yes. Her original art is more detailed than in some of her well-known earlier series like Happy Mania (that could be due to an increased number of assistants) and the story is fresh and original as well. At least the first volume is a solid start of this kinda harrypotterish series. I'm looking forward to volume 2!
Starbubbles
Jun 10, 2010 Starbubbles rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
the artwork takes some getting used to, since it's atypical of current manga style. the story is okay, it does pick up in the end. i don't exactly approve of this 'gotta make people love me, then steal thier hearts' business, but whatever. if it's at the library, i might read more, but i'm definatley not buying.
okay, i lied i purchased it and the next volume. i still maintain the 2 star status though.
Emmy Lou
I almost bought this book years ago when I was collecting Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. I should have. I would have enjoyed it a lot more then than I did now.

The concept of capturing emotions in the form of crystal hearts is intriguing, but that's about all I can say for this series. I probably won't continue it.
Chelsea
This series is really fun with a lot of great characters!

This volume contains chapters 1 - 6
Rune 1.) Chocolat, Hearts, and the Shooting Star
Rune 2.) Heart of Chocolat, Heart of Vanilla
Rune 3.) Unscheduled Newspaper Club Interview
Rune 4.) Christmas Party Romp!
Runes 5 & 6.) Feeling the Pink Heart (2 parts)
  • Love Monster (Volume 02)
  • Othello, Volume 1
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 3 (Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, #3)
  • Mistress Fortune
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 01
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 6: Betrayal (Shugo Chara!, #6)
  • Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)
  • Tokyo Mew Mew A La Mode, Vol. 01 (Tokyo Mew Mew A La Mode, #1)
  • Cat Street, Vol. 1 (Cat Street #1)
  • King of Thorn, Vol. 1