Welcome! It looks like you still need
to set up your Goodreads account.
Start by marking “Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1 (Sugar Sugar Rune, #1)

Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1 (Sugar Sugar Rune #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,438 ratings  ·  52 reviews

Little witch-girls Chocolat and Vanilla are best friends, but only one of them can be Queen of the Magic World. To determine who deserves the title, they must go to the Human World and enter a strange competition. Whoever attracts the most human boys . . . wins!

Here’s how it works: When a boy falls for a witch-girl, she utters a few mystic words and the boy’
Published September 27th 2005 by Del Rey (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar Sugar Rune, Volume 1

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
162nd out of 597 books — 1,399 voters
Sailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko TakeuchiCardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 by CLAMPCodename by Naoko TakeuchiPuella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 01 by Magica QuartetShugo Chara!, Vol. 1 by Peach-Pit
Magical Girl Manga
20th out of 43 books — 70 voters

More lists with this book...

Seemingly cute and geared toward young girls, Sugar Sugar Rune is the story of two young witches, Chocolat and Vanilla sent to the human world. Once there, they are to compete against one another in winning more human boy hearts to win the title of Queen of the Magic World. Chocolat and Vanilla are best friends as well as rivals but where Chocolat is bold and defiant, Vanilla is shy and timid. Let the romance begin!

Sugar Sugar Rune is definitely not what it seems. On the outside it looks to be a
Jul 20, 2012 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any one who enjoys a good shoujo story!
Some spoilers ahead if you haven't read Book One! Just a heads up. :)

That being said, I absolutely MUST review book one of this amazing series that I think is completely under-rated in the Manga world. It may have spawned an Anime series (which was awful) and a Nintendo DS game (which was fair) but the Manga is and will always be the greatest form of this story.

Right at the start you are instantly introduced to our two leading females, a bold and brash red head named Chocolat Meilleure and a ti
Witches, Chocolat and Vanilla, are best friends. However, they are also competing to be the next Queen of the Magical World. To find out who is better suited, they are sent to the human world to steal the hearts of young boys, since humans can have another heart. Chocolat thought it would be easy, but apparently human boys don’t like girls with strong personality, and prefer quiet and shy girls like Vanilla. And to make matters worse, Chocolat has to deal with the cool Pierre. She must be caref ...more
Michelle  (Crazy Cat Lady)
The artwork on some of the characters is really beautiful and I like that. The concept is also cute. My problem is that there are text bubbles everywhere; they clutter the artwork and it's a bit confusing trying to read them all in order. Plus, Chocolate can be pretty annoying.
Sep 21, 2015 Anja rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
for UnderHyped readathon.
I love this manga series, it's just so cute. also rereading this for the 5th time already. will never stop!
Sarah Cheney
I was first attracted by the very different quirky dark and cute style. After reading the first volume I immediately bought the rest and years later I have again reread what I consider one of my top favorite manga (the anime is cute but no comparison). I expected the story to remain silly fun but the plot is actually detailed and engrossing. Despite the characters ages it also is very romantic. I fell in love with Pierre's character (if it could, I'm sure my heart would pop out as a gem) and was ...more
Conan Tigard
This collections of six stories is fun and exciting. While most of the stories revolve around the ever-angry Chocolat, Vanilla adds a sense of sweetness to the pages.

Moyoco Anno has created two enjoyable characters that young girls will love to read about. The artwork is great and the text flows well.

This book is mostly about kids having crushes on other kids. Of course, there is the evil Prince Pierre in there to stir up trouble. Personally, I thought Rockin' Robin was a girl at first. He is
May 19, 2011 Bucletina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Los clientes de La Revisteria xD
Recommended to Bucletina by: El Blog
Insípido, por momentos irritante, inverosimil, plagado de clichés. Decí que el dibujo es medianamente lindo y que, por momentos, tiene ciertos toques más "josei", o al menos que contrastan mucho con el resto de las situaciones del manga, hiper shojos e infantiloides. Ojalá se tire más para ese lado en los demás tomos, que no tengo ninguna intención de leer.
*Miss Fame*
This manga is pretty cutesie. The story seems cute and different, and I really like the art. It feels really old, even though its not (the series started in 2004). I like when artwork in manga differs a bit and isn't exactly like something else.

Though, I was really -_- at Vanilla's "Japanese" name being Vanilla Ice... I think we all know that is not Japanese at all -_- It wasn't even funny.

I haven't read a manga in a while (or ever... but I can't be entirely sure) where the main characters were
Shazza Maddog
No, really. Those are the names of the two main characters, who happen to be ten year old girls...er...witches. Chocolat is loud and sharp and fond of pretending to be a spider. Vanilla is sweet and shy and doesn't know how to stand up for herself. Of course, they're best friends - but also rivals, as they have been sent to Earth to collect boys' hearts. Whoever collects the most hearts becomes the next queen of the witches.

Now, by collecting hearts, we're not talking about things reminiscent of
Meth Randall
This series fascinated me so much when I was in middle school. My best friend was in love with the series and it sort of became a collective memory as a part of my childhood. That aside, the magical elements, the romance and the story and the ART was just so fantastic.
Nov 14, 2015 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
I absolutely loved it! It was my first manga back in 2009 and I still have times when i want to sit down and re-read it. The anime was ok, I watched both the Japanese and the Arabic dub, but neither of them will compare to the manga.
(only marking the first volume though I read them all)
This is the umpteenth time I've picked this manga series up and it still gave me all the feels.
Mahou shoujo at its best! Moyoco Anno really impressed me (and sucked me in) with this series. The characters, plot, pacing and art are all highly enjoyable... nay, addicting. The juxtaposition between Chocolat and her best friend Vanilla is adorable. I am really excited about reading this series and I can't wait to see what's around the corner for these teen witch acolytes.
Pakou Xiong
I read a cool and magical book that is called sugar sugar rune. The author of this book is Moyoco Anno. Here is some part of the story,Best friends Chocolat and Vanilla are as different as night and day: Chocolat is a rowdy tomboy who always says what she thinks, while Vanilla is the quiet, shy daughter of the Queen of the Magic World! When, like their mothers before them, Chocolat and Vanilla are selected to be the rival Queen Candidates competing to become Queen of the Magic World, Chocolat an ...more
Leah Jones-barrett
Loved this anime. Lots of interesting ideas, great drawing. I really liked the plot. I cant wait to finish the last of the mangas.
Nicole West
I adore this book about heart collecting witches. It's so awesome it's definitely going on my favorites list.
Marie H
Un premier tome tout mignon, des dessins vraiment beau, j'ai hâte de lire le tome 2!!
C'est frais, mignon et original, j'ai bien aimé le fait de capturer des coeurs.
I freaking loved it i cant wait to read all the vols :)
Sugar Sugar Rune features two girls who are very different. Vanilla is quiet and shy, to the point where she cries instead of introducing hersefl to people. Chocola is brash and violent, unapologetic even though she is clearly in the wrong sometimes. Their story is interesting, but it has a tendency to flow toward the shoujo relationship-type stories, which just aren't my cup of tea. Still, there's enough magic and jokes to make this series worth reading even if you aren't interested in the idea ...more

God, that was terrible. The art wasn't very good, and neither was the story. And the inconsistencies... Chocolat gets a pink heart--states that it's a pink heart--and then not even ten pages later says that i was orange. This couldn't have been a translation error because the words for orange and pink are nothing alike, unless the person just wasn't paying any attention. Either way, FAIL.

Not worth it. Just... not worth it.
Sushin Dahal
It was okay. the book is not that good. It's a really cute story, and it was fun to read. it was very interesting, since i haven't heard about a book like this. In the end it was cute, but it just wasn't the type of books i read. The art was good, i loved the way she drew the background, building, clothes, and everything else. I guess, i was a little bias before i read the book, but i kind of don't like the books with the charters drawn with huge eyes. sorry.
Who'd expect shoujo from a renowned josei author Moyoco Anno? Will her manga be good without sex and everything that goes with it? The answer is yes. Her original art is more detailed than in some of her well-known earlier series like Happy Mania (that could be due to an increased number of assistants) and the story is fresh and original as well. At least the first volume is a solid start of this kinda harrypotterish series. I'm looking forward to volume 2!
the artwork takes some getting used to, since it's atypical of current manga style. the story is okay, it does pick up in the end. i don't exactly approve of this 'gotta make people love me, then steal thier hearts' business, but whatever. if it's at the library, i might read more, but i'm definatley not buying.
okay, i lied i purchased it and the next volume. i still maintain the 2 star status though.
Emmy Lou
I almost bought this book years ago when I was collecting Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. I should have. I would have enjoyed it a lot more then than I did now.

The concept of capturing emotions in the form of crystal hearts is intriguing, but that's about all I can say for this series. I probably won't continue it.
This series is really fun with a lot of great characters!

This volume contains chapters 1 - 6
Rune 1.) Chocolat, Hearts, and the Shooting Star
Rune 2.) Heart of Chocolat, Heart of Vanilla
Rune 3.) Unscheduled Newspaper Club Interview
Rune 4.) Christmas Party Romp!
Runes 5 & 6.) Feeling the Pink Heart (2 parts)
Karma Akabane
(Squeal!) One of my most fave animes/mangas ever! So much magic with witches and ogres. Also, the magic world is like a candyland! Great and delicious idea! And the romance and humor really top it off! Chocolat is my most favorite character; she's a reckless girl who could also be caring at times too!
  • Love Monster (Volume 02)
  • Othello, Volume 1
  • Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, Vol. 3 (Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch, #3)
  • Mistress Fortune
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 01
  • Chibi Vampire, Vol. 14
  • Arisa, Vol. 01 (Arisa, #1)
  • Magical X Miracle, Vol. 1 (Magical x Miracle, #1)
  • Kobato., Vol. 01 (Kobato., #1)
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
  • キャットストリート 1 [Cat Street 1]
  • Shugo Chara!, Vol. 2: Friends in Need (Shugo Chara!, #2)