Start by marking “Futhark: Handbook of Rune Magic” as Want to Read:
Futhark: Handbook of Rune Magic

Futhark: Handbook of Rune Magic

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Futhark Runes are the ancient Norse alphabet used for communication, divination, and magical work. In Futhark, American runologist Edred Thorsson introduces readers to the 24 runes of the Elder Futhark, their definitions, and mystic properties.
Published October 25th 1984 by Red Wheel/Weiser (first published June 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Futhark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Futhark

Sharon Reamer
Dec 10, 2014 Sharon Reamer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interesting in Futhark and rune knowledge
I've owned this book for a while as I bought it when I began researching Germanic/Norse mythology and history for a novel I'm working on. I didn't expect it to be very helpful so it took me a while to get around to it.

I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful this book was.

Although geared towards practitioners of runecraft and having a mainly religious bent, the book has a lot of useful tidbits about the runes with some history, especially as relates to the Norse prose and poetry where the runes
Katharine Kerr
FUTHARK is Thorsson's first book. He's divided it into two parts, a brief history of the runic system and a "practical" section that gives a complete set of magical exercises. Since he's studied the system extensively and has academic credentials, the history strikes me as sound and well-documented. He knows Old Norse and the other important languages of this field, always a plus in my opinion!

The exercises derive from a system developed early in the Twentieth Century in Germany, under the heavy
Rivqah
This is a rather good starting place to learn about the runes and their various uses. In the first section, each rune is discussed with its alternate forms, phonetic value, esoteric interpretations and a good basic commentary. In the second half of the book, the author gives a good intro to rune magic, discussing the Nordic concept of the soul and how one may relate to the runes, i.e. utilizing forms of energy via stadhagar (runic yoga) and doing protective rituals. He also tells one which tools ...more
Glennmatthew
my absolute go to book regarding rune magic. his vocabulary can be a bit much, but once you get the feel for it, he is by far the definitive author on the subject. a must for any asatruar.
Volmarr
Apr 07, 2014 Volmarr rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Heathens and those into the runes
This and Runelore are the books to read to learn about the runes. All other books should be gauged according to the information in these two books to determine accuracy.
Tim
A great introduction to the Elder Futhark and the esoteric and magical concepts surrounding it. Thorsson takes and in depth look at each rune and provides several bits of information related to lore and use in magic for each one. Once each of the 24 different runes of the Elder Futhark are introduced and explained he goes on to describe various magical techniques which are designed to aid the magician, or as he calls it vikti, to embrace the power of each rune and develop better insight into the ...more
Shea Mastison
Edred Thorsson is the premier rune scholar of our time. His insights are derived from quality scholarship, and personal occult study. The book is an interesting mixture of objective fact, and personal experience; and like most real "magical" books, gives one a peek into the psyche of the author.

This is an excellent starting position for anyone interested in the runes, and it reads very complimentarily with his other great work, "Runelore."

If this is your kinda stuff, you should check out this
Aaron Meyer
Next to Runelore this is my favorite esoteric rune book to go to. Full of information. Once you have read it and Runelore your directions are endless where you can take it.
Leigh
Jan 18, 2014 Leigh added it
Shelves: i-give-up
I tried reading the ebook, but the file would not display properly, cutting off the pages. Reported this to Overdrive.
Khris Mundy
The most recognized opener for aspiring runesters. Thorsson is a master at operative runology and this book is a great place to get acquainted with the lore. His further readings such as Runelore and Alu are required reading for runic practitioners and learners alike.
Tasha
This is probably my favorite book on runes. It seems straight-forward at first, but the more you start learning about them, the more you realize how much is in here!
Kimberly
If you are interested in learning on the runes this is the perfect book for you! Easy to comprehend and understand for those who may be newbies!
Jaime
Better than most runelore books out there but doesn't always distinguish between pre-Christian tradition and more modern interpretations.
Alice
One of the 3 books by Edred Thorsson that should be the basis of your Rune Study library.
Dawne
I'm reading this with my daily rune, so not completely in a linear fashion.
Teleri
Thorsson's first effort. I still think it was his best.
Inara
Title in German:
Handbuch der Runen-Magie
Michael
Read the German edition.
jack
a solid primer on the runes.
Dp4s
Apr 17, 2008 Dp4s added it
Astrology
-Runes
No Remorse
No Remorse marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Jacob Senholt
Jacob Senholt marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Paul
Paul is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2015
Andrew James
Andrew James is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2015
Briana Davis
Briana Davis marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Tigor
Tigor marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Philemo
Philemo marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
  • Northern Mysteries & Magick: Runes, Gods, and Feminine Powers
  • Exploring the Northern Tradition: A Guide to the Gods, Lore, Rites, and Celebrations from the Norse, German, and Anglo-Saxon Traditions
  • Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic
  • History and Lore (Our Troth, #1)
  • The Road to Hel: A Study of the Conception of the Dead in Old Norse Literature
  • A Practical Guide to the Runes: Their Uses in Divination and Magic
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
  • The Witch's Shield: Protection Magick and Psychic Self-Defense
  • Book 4
  • Magical Aromatherapy: The Power of Scent
Stephen Edred Flowers (born 1953) also known by the pen-name Edred Thorsson, is an American Runologist and proponent of occultism and Germanic mysticism. He has over two dozen published books and hundreds of published papers on a disparate range of subjects. Flowers advocates "Esoteric Runology" or "Odianism", an occultist version of Germanic Neopaganism.
More about Edred Thorsson...
RuneLore Northern Magic: Rune Mysteries and Shamanism Runecasters Handbook: The Well of Wyrd Nine Doors of Midgard Rune Might: Secret Pratices of the German Rune Magicians