Married to the Military: A Survival Guide for Military Wives, Girlfriends, and Women in Uniform

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The Unofficial Scoop on Military Life

Whether you're dating, engaged, or married to an active military servicemember or reservist -- or you've just signed up yourself -- you may feel as if you've somehow married the United States military! While there are plenty of orientation books for him, there are almost no handy, user-friendly resources for you. Meredith Leyva, a mil...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Touchstone (first published 2003)

Jenny
I hope this doesn’t piss many of you off, however I am sure I will lose a couple of you in the frey. I’m about to come down on the Queen of all Navy spouses, the sweetheart of Navy Times and saint to millions of women who buy into her bull… that’s right Meredith Leyva. I, like many other spouses was attracted to the pink camo cover of her rag entitled “Married to the Military : A Survival Guide for Military Wives, Girlfriends, and Women in Uniform“. It was total CRAP. Being a public relations an...more
Michelle
Carlene
This book is definitely for me; I will be buying it. If you are any woman(wife, military personnel, or girlfriend) this book is for you. It has been very helpful for me since I am a recent army wife. This book gives you the inside scoop on what your are allowed to control and how to control it, gives you ways to budget your money, and how to deal with deployment and post-deployment. It is a highly informational book to be used by the woman in military service.
Amanda
As someone who came into military life knowing diddly squat about ranks or PCSes or how to obtain a power of attorney or why I'd even need one, this book was wonderful in letting me in on secrets to transforming my family into a knowledgable, working cog of Air Force brats and worked wonders on our self-confidence knowing that whatever happened in this crazy life of ours, we'd be prepared. Do yourself a favor and pick one up.
Stephanie
In my opinion, this book is too generalized and outdated. It definitely displays every stereotype that hopefully people are avoiding. I definitely thing it needs to be rewritten. However for the clueless girlfriend or newlywed, the generalized knowledge is always good to have. They really need to make books targeting different branches of the military. Some of the things once branch does may be and is usually different than the other.
Sarah Krafcik-schaffer
This book was very informative, even just used for general information. This was one of the only books I found that answered any of my questions and that at least somewhat informed me about military life. I found this right after my husband decided that he would like to join the military and wanted something to keep me from going into panic mode since I knew nothing about military life. I do wish it was updated though.
Khinna
I was very skeptical about this book. However, this book has been very revealing for the newbie military wife such as me. I can't believe I picked this up as an impulsive buy, while grocery shopping. It might not be for the "seasoned" military wife, but it has benefited me with factual information. Great for any wife, girlfriend, or currently engaged woman pondering the new change in her life.
Shannon
Helpful information but terrifying tone. Reinforces just about every stereotype I would hope military spouses would want to avoid. In the same page the author berates the military for not taking spouses seriously and then asserts that spouses should have their servicemember do a particular task "and nag him like his mother until he does it." How about a rewrite?
Heidi
Was a great book to read when my husband and I first were married. Now I feel a bit more seasoned, and might not benefit as much. But it was good to have and reference when I was a newbie military wife, just learning the ropes (and my husband was also just learning the ropes on what changes accompanied his duty now that he had dependants, etc.)
Kim
This book has really helped me- a brand new military wife who gets lost in the world of acronyms and jargon sometimes. It has a list of ranks, how to read a military paystub, who to contact in case of various emergencies, what to do when your husband is deployed and you have issues, etc. A helpful resource for us "non"military military wives!
Kristin
A great book to read if you are new to the military life. It breaks down the jargon, explains the ranks and helps you understand the lifestyle of the military a little bit better. However, it did refer a lot to websites online instead of explaining the information in the book itself.
Kelly
this is a must-have for military wives, or even girlfriends/fiance's! its the do's and dont's of the military world, i refer to it often--it breaks down termanology, procedures, politics in the military, what to wear to the ball ;) everything and anything-- a must have,no doubt.
Ashley
Great for clueless military wife newlyweds like myself. I had no idea what my husband was talking about when he used certain acronyms but now I do! It's not the most exciting book since it's very "factual" but totally worth reading for every Military wife out there.
Shay
Sep 15, 2012 Shay rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: army wives, army girlfriends, military women
This book gave amazing information and really helped me out. It gave me some things to think about and brought up a few issues I hadn't considered. I'm ready to buy myself a copy to take with me when I relocate with my Army boyfriend.
Lisa
Really geared towards regular army, not National guards (which according to the author is the same thing as the Reserves). Some of it was helpful, but mostly information for those who's spouse is full time military.
Exoticdynamite
This book was simply the best and very insightful into many details I wanted to know about the army and the breakdown of lists. I wish I had with book with me now where I am currently.
Michelle
Interesting tidbits for someone dating a military man. It is pink...it caught my eye in the bookstore, so I sat down and read it. Good for explaining all the jargon and military speak.
Linette
Jan 06, 2010 Linette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone dating or married to a military service member
Very informative. A little out-dated: They still note the USCG as part of the Navy, which it is now Homeland Security and the pay scales are from 2003. Other than that...very detailed!
Katie
Simply put, this is an absolute must for every new military girlfriend, to even the seasoned wife. This book was a key to success for me, I can not recommend it highly enough!
Amber
This book is awesome. It is the most helpful Military Spouse book that I have read. It has everything you need to know, want to know, should know, and more.
Kathe Bacon
I think I've been a Navy wife for too long to find this useful for myself; however,for new wives its a great introduction to the military way of life.
Dani
First book I read as a military girlfriend way back when, and it had SO much useful info, no matter what branch of service. Definitely recommend!
Andrea Cox
Great book for research and anyone considering the military. Also wonderful for family members of military personnel. Learned a lot from this one!
Elizabeth Hart
An essential book for a military wife. Explains everything from LES to moving to a base. Helps you deal with deployment with real advice.
Beth
Very useful. It covers alot if things I hadn't thought about; I've saved my husband's ass more then a few times!
Sarah Edie
Apr 14, 2008 Sarah Edie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
everything that can possibly happen in a world revolving around the service member can be handled with strategy
Angela
VERY informative for the newbie bride, military wife-to-be, or girlfriend. Highly recommend this book!
Amy
Great go-to book for any military wife. A little outdated now but the general information is good to have.
Christina
Nov 30, 2008 Christina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who is a army wives
Recommended to Christina by: my mother in law
This is a very good book. I am a first time army wife and my mother in law gave me this book.
Joann
It is a helpful book, but every branch is different & has it's own set of rules.
  • Chicken Soup for the Military Wife's Soul: Stories to Touch the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Confessions of a Military Wife
  • Under the Sabers: The Unwritten Code of Army Wives
  • Laugh Your Way to a Better Marriage: Unlocking the Secrets to Life, Love and Marriage
  • Trigger Men: Shadow Team, Spider-Man, the Magnificent Bastards, and the American Combat Sniper
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • I Could Tell You But Then You Would Have to be Destroyed by Me: Emblems from the Pentagon's Black World
  • I Love a Man in Uniform: A Memoir of Love, War, and Other Battles
  • Home Before Morning: The Story of an Army Nurse in Vietnam
  • Love My Rifle More than You: Young and Female in the U.S. Army
  • The Best of Lewis Carroll
  • On Combat: The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and in Peace
  • I am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story
  • Wisdom of Our Fathers: Lessons and Letters from Daughters and Sons
  • Mars and Venus in the Bedroom: A Guide to Lasting Romance and Passion
  • What Was Asked of Us: An Oral History of the Iraq War by the Soldiers Who Fought It
  • The Art of Speed Reading People: How to Size People Up and Speak Their Language
  • Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds