Start by marking “Ghost Recon (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ghost Recon (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, #1)

Ghost Recon (Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,100 ratings  ·  70 reviews
The U.S. Army's Special Forces are known for their highly specialized training and courage behind enemy lines. But there's a group that's even more stealthy and deadly. It's comprised of the most feared operators on the face of the earth?the soldiers of Ghost Recon.
Published November 4th 2008 by Berkley (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Recon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Recon

harlequin {Stephanie}
plotless. I like great action packed scenes, but this is above and beyond.
Dan
This is the first in the 'Ghost Recon' trilogy and I thought I'd give it a try, just to see if it had a complex, action-packed story. Well, the story is far from complex, but I was impressed by the constant action. I don't know how other Tom Clancy productions read, but I imagine this book has action beyond the scope of most books in this particular category. The only problem is, it's way too fast! I'm baffled by how quickly this book reads. There are times when the pace speeds up considerably a...more
Michael
Definitively reads like a video game. A series of missions loosely tied together around the main character with only a token plot with the major villain. However, the characters had more depth to them than I expected from book based on a shooter game. The author makes the elite soldiers seem to be pretty normal guys - almost too normal, which gives a slightly contrived feel at times. A good read for a long drive or flight.
Dale
I read Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon as the literary equivalent of a one night stand - nothing serious, no commitments. This is not deep literature that requires a set of Cliff's Notes. I was looking for a change of pace.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon fit the bill perfectly. Spotty character development, sci-fi weapons, lots of talk about honor and commitment (that works until it gets too syrupy towards the end). All of the good guys have big square jaws (or are pretty tomboys) and have wonderful biogra...more
David
Imagine if you were the most technologically advanced and sound group of military operatives out there. The best gear, guns and brains in the whole army, and all on the same side. These are the Ghosts, a highly specialized team filled with gunners, snipers and fighters who work for the United States Military. Ghosts are part of the Special Operations, who are only known to a few government officials. They preform tasks such as recon, assassination, and regular field fighting, but they are the on...more
Derek
Feb 22, 2009 Derek rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action/war junkies
Recommended to Derek by: me myself and I

Ghost Recon is an action military story based off of the popular Xbox 360 game series called Ghost Recon Advanced War fighter, written by David Michaels. The book is about a U.S. Army commando team called the “Ghosts” lead by the main character Scott Mitchell, they are sent on a mission to prevent a war between China and Taiwan by assassinating a rouge Chinese General and along the way Scott wants some personal vengeance against a guy who got most of his team killed and left his “best friend”...more
Skylore
I learned how a hero can come from anyone who is willing to put there life on the line for a friend or just some stranger. Its a good military book. I personally really liked it. I read this book my 8th grade year. Everyone was asking me why it was taking so long to read it and I answered, "This book is really good its taking my so long because I'm really paying attention and reading carefully. Its to good of a book to just skim, and when you do you miss a lot."
I was shocked when Michelle's bud...more
Michael Cline
Jerome
The book is full of inaccuracies concerning military hardware and tactics. From Black Hawk helicopter with skids, (they have wheels), to sudden promotions of rank from Master Sergeant to Captain and then back to Master Sergeant, all within the same fire fight, a mission briefing for a super secret military unit in a partially remodeled warehouse instead of a secured military facility. Come on! I find these inaccuracies reduce the creditability of the writer and thus the story. The book does not...more
08andreb
In the year 2012 the United States of America is planning on selling a nuclear submarine to Taiwan, increasing tensions with China to the point where rogue Chinese military leaders choose to take matters into their own hands. With World War Three on the verge of breaking out in Asia, U.S. army captain Scott Mitchell has been tasked with preventing it. Scott must lead his team (the most highly trained group of men and women in the world) know as “Ghosts” deep behind enemy lines. But as they get...more
Gary
The story starts with an ambush in the forest which leads to many deaths of his comrades. Mitchell is surrounded by guns, traps and terror. Even with his frantic calls for help, no one answers. What has happened to the backup he was supposed to receive? Will he make it out alive? I chose this book because I bought it long time ago when I was a kid but didn't read it because it was thick. But now I read it and I LOVE it to bits. I finished it because, like I said, I LOVE IT. I think people who li...more
Robbie
While I always enjoy a book about soldiers and fighting and such, this book played out just like it was meant to: like a video game. Most of the book was comprised of two or three major battle scenes, which I will admit were well written and engaging, very visual in nature. However in between, it was just petty filler plot to try to get the reader to feel like there is some value in the back story when really there is no worth in remembering anything. Yeah, it tries to get me to feel like the ma...more
Mark Kloha
This was a fairly decent book. I have not played any of the video games. Just finished this book on vacation. It actually took me a long time to read. The book covers Captain Mitchell's life over several years. A lot of good action scenes. Plot is well paced. The ending was great and Capt Mitchell was able to tie up some loose ends for an old friend. I would recommend this book if you like Tom Clancy books or perhaps if you like the video games even though I haven't played them. I've already rea...more
William
Not bad for a book based on a video game,plot/Story was extremely predictable,characters were somewhat flat and rather bland.I never wanted to cheer for the good guys or felt any animosity for the the bad guys.It's a decent story just not great.
Joe Moley
Read this on a flight to a vacation after leaving my scheduled book at home. Started fairly strong but tapered off towards the end. Decent read though and fairly entertaining as far as the action genre goes. Author tries hard to capture the "reality" of war/combat yet the scenes seem contrived at times. I was actually hoping for a team of "best of the best" soldiers, but these guys just read as normal run of the mill soldiers to me. Nothing really "elite" about them at all. This book is not writ...more
Alex Zaragoza
What made me read this book faster than any of my other books I've read is that it had really interseting battles. I would start on one page and end 50 pages later but it didnt seam like you read 50 pages because they're pretty well written that you just breeze through it.

The only part I didnt like was that I had to remember 5-7 chinese names that are confusing. I can't just ignore these characters either, because they're either important bad guys or important allies.

There's A LOT of betrayal...more
Bookstorequeer
I was a little surprised how much I enjoyed this one. There's the obvious, blatant action to satisfy the people reading it because of the video game it's based on but at the same time, there's a plot underneath all that action and it's surprisingly satisfying in its conclusion. I liked the characters and I liked being able to cheer for them. There was also more character and backstory than I anticipated, given this book's origin and the first few chapters.

So, all together, more satisfying and en...more
Ryoma Echizen
David Michael's Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon is a popular book for teens . This book talks about Captain Scott Mitchell in the ghost recon team . They need to stop the china people to enable a plan which would maybe cause a World War 3. Will Ghost Recon defeat the Spring Dragon team?

I picked up this book because it looked cool and a lot .

I finished this book because I can't let go of the book. It was too awesome! I liked the violence in this book, but it's long and boring.

I think I would recommen...more
Jonathan
i thought tom ghost recon by david michaels was welll thought. i belive that at some points to much detail was given throwing off the main story line. Id have to say scott michtell(the main character) was the best character mainly seeing as how he whole book is through his percepective. the whole book was well planned and the ending really thows you for a twist . Overall the book was great very fast paced and will keep readers on the edge of thier seats through the whole story. Anyone who loves...more
Daniel
This fantatic page turning experience is atop the list of the books I could not put down, and is the holds the record for the quickest I have ever read a book. Capt. Mitchell is involved in yet another top secret operation, which is nothing like the video game. Get to know each of the Ghost's personally and their family, what makes them tick, and most of all what haunts their dreams. David Michaels pays hommige to a Tom Clancy special! Great Read, easy read if your looking for a break.
Richard
I read this book a couple summers ago and was instantly hooked into it. As a fan of the video game series I wanted to read the book. I got the book for two bucks at a book store and never put the book down. David Michaels in my opinion is just as good as Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin, etc. His detail to the enviornments, and detail is what really peaked my interest. If there is alot of detail in any book I will read it and sure enough this book had it. Thanks for reading my review have a nice day.
Matthew
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon is another one of of his fighting books which doesn't havbe a very specific plot but is more intended for the shooting and killing. If you are interested in action/combat books, this is really good. It is about a special forces saquadron that is unkown and are supposed to blend in with the rest of the army. But when it is time to do something they are in and out unnoticeably. I reaaly liked this book and other of TOm Clancies books.
Kyle Owens
2 and 3/4th stars. This book is an exciting and very non-profane war novel. Since the book is based on a videogame (which I have not played) I was mostly expecting a actionpacked, but not very deep story. The book surprised me with how much detail the author put into the characters story. On the other hand the action in this book was very fun to read at some times, but other battles were paced very slowly and sometimes were hard to finish.
Jeremiah Colley
Way better than the game, it has character depth right away you get to know who your characters are.
Andrew (Andy or AJ)
This book is about Spec Ops Captain Scott Mitchell, who is recruited by the "ghosts", an elite special forces division. Mitchell is tasked with terminating the 4 main leaders of the chinese war group, Spring Tigers. But a few moments before the ghost begin there assult on the Spring Tigers, Mitchell discovers the an old foe is part of the group, and the attack becomes personal. Overall this was a good read.
Ian Mcenaney
Steve B. Davis
Techno-thriller with interesting characters and a heart-stopping plot. A man's book and any guy who loves action needs to read this one. Special forces excursion into China to stop a plot to start a war over Taiwan. WW III looms can the team take out the plotters and escape. A page turner.
Casey Ols
This was a quick easy read. Nothing to write home about but it was good. Lots of graphic combat scenes. I had a bit of a hard time keeping track of all the names of the Japanese characters. There was a reference guide in the beginning of the book for the characters. Still didn't help that much.
Lee21
This book is action packed and very realistic in the terms of war. It really shows how one mistake takes a huge toll in war. This book is also very intense and suspensefull during some parts of the book. I recommend this book for people that are into war,weapons or action.
  • Tom Clancy Presents: Act of Valor
  • Dreamland (Dreamland, #1)
  • Council of Evil (Villain.Net, #1)
  • Aspho Fields (Gears of War, #1)
  • Blood of the Empire (Star Wars: The Old Republic Comic, #1)
  • Firefight
  • Star Wars: Character Encyclopedia
Tom Clancy was an English major at Baltimore’s Loyola College. As a Maryland insurance broker with a passion for naval history, his dream of writing a novel came true with his first effort, The Hunt for Red October (1984).

He since wrote more than a dozen novels, which have a blend of realism and authenticity, intricate plotting, and razor-sharp suspense. Ten of the novels, including The Teeth of...more
More about Tom Clancy...
The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan, #3) Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1) Clear and Present Danger (Jack Ryan, #5) Red Storm Rising Without Remorse (John Clark, #1)