Start by marking “Good Birders Don't Wear White: 50 Tips From North America's Top Birders” as Want to Read:
Good Birders Don't Wear White: 50 Tips From North America's Top Birders

Good Birders Don't Wear White: 50 Tips From North America's Top Birders

In these 50 light and fun original essays, the biggest names in birding dispense advice to birders of every level, on topics ranging from feeding birds and cleaning binoculars to pishing and pelagic birding. Whether satirizing bird snobs or relating the traditions and taboos of the birding culture, each essay is as chock-full of helpful information as it is entertaining.
Published April 23rd 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Good Birders Don't Wear White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Birders Don't Wear White

Kiirsi Hellewell
Jul 14, 2010 Kiirsi Hellewell rated it it was amazing
There's probably some unwritten law somewhere that reviews can't be written about a book until a person has finished...so sue me. :) I've only read three or four "chapters" or essays, but I'm already in love.

I think maybe even people that aren't interested in birdwatching would enjoy this book...the essays are from experts in the birding world, but they're also extremely talented writers. Everything from naturalists to biologists to photographers to artists, these people know birds inside and o
Michèle
Jun 11, 2017 Michèle rated it really liked it
Shelves: practical-books
Une sympathique série de 50 anecdotes drôles sur les mésaventures et émerveillements des observateurs d'oiseaux!

abondamment illustré.
Amy
Mar 02, 2017 Amy rated it really liked it
NF
261 pages

Excellent, funny, rewarding and enlightening.
Kalena
Nonfiction; birding; various authors. This collection of essays/articles are for birders and those interested in birding. There is good information and funny stories, however, (once again I will reiterate my preference for in depth reading) these were teasers for my study-oriented brain. This is purely personal preference. This is the perfect book for a place with lots of distractions or limited snippets of time to read. I loved getting to know some of the biggest names in birding through their ...more
August Busch
May 28, 2015 August Busch rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Just as the title says, its 50 essays from top birders in North America.

It was fun and entertaining. Some essays were way better than others. Some I was just like wow that was dumb but whatever on to the next essay. One issue I had with this book was it was pretty repetitive. I only found a few good tips, I know one I will definitely use it seems like a common birding technique because it was mentioned a couple times. Pish... I haven't tried it but from the sounds of it all you need to do is ma
Robin
Dec 21, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
This is a nice collection of 50 short essays by many well known birders. These essays cover a broad range of the birding experience, including topics such as Jeffrey Bouton's 'Using a storm to your advantage' and David Sibley's 'Learn by drawing.' Rather than read this book from start to finish, I've preferred to read a few essays from time to time. The information and insights here have encouraged me to pursue my birding at a deeper level.
Johnnie
Sep 20, 2015 Johnnie rated it liked it
Light reading. A bit like a Chicken Soup for the Birder's Soul. Some big names here: David Sibley, Kenn Kaufman, John Kricher, Bill Thompson III, Scott Weidensaul, etc. A good bit is pleasant fluff. However there are sections that contain useful information, such as the chapters on pishing, advice on birding at night, solid advice on making birding about birds and not lists, ethics, and conservation. Enjoyable, but I wouldn't consider it required reading.
Chris Leuchtenburg
Jun 01, 2013 Chris Leuchtenburg rated it liked it
Shelves: nature
Consisting of a series of 2-4 page exhortations, recommendations and recollections by most of the big names in birding, this book is great fun. I suspect that anyone with enough interest in birding to read this book has already encountered much of the advice, but the humorous sections alone were worth the effort for me. How (not) to see a Mangrove Cuckoo is a classic.
Ken
Jun 09, 2007 Ken rated it liked it
Shelves: birds
An easy-to-read collection of essays about birding. I don't feel like I'm a better birder because of the book; it was just fun reading it. It's enjoyable to hear the voices of the people behind the field guides and scientific literature: Kaufman, Sibley, Dunne, Sutton, Williamson, Kerlinger, Kricher, Kroodsma, etc.
Deborah Falk
Jul 24, 2016 Deborah Falk rated it liked it
A fun, quick read of short essays by many of the "big birds" in the birding community...some fun tips (good-bye, SPF 50 white shirt) and good advice: "Do not tell anyone if the bird you are looking at through the scope flys away. That just disappoints others who are yet to look through the scope."
Kristal Cooper
Jan 31, 2016 Kristal Cooper rated it it was amazing
The cover indicates that this is a bullet-point book, fluffed up with cute cartoon illustrations, but it's actually a wide-ranging collection of very thoughtful short stories from highly experienced birders. A must-read for everyone interested in this hobby.
Caran-marie
Jul 23, 2012 Caran-marie rated it liked it
Shelves: birding

Cute. Short articles from a variety of birders - some funny, some serious. Covers topic from binoculars to what to where to how to go about phishing to basic birding behavior. Nothing special.
David R.
Dec 27, 2010 David R. rated it liked it
As with all "Tip" books there's a mix of the ridiculous and the sublime. Some of the tips were very thought provoking to this reasonably experienced birder. Some were eminently forgettable. The strongest concerned birder ethics and ideas for attracting wildlife.
Lee
Nov 26, 2007 Lee rated it liked it
Nice collection of short articles written by expert birders - good tips of interest to beginners and experienced birders. I liked the advice about enjoying the birding experience and avoiding the trap of listmania.
Sally
Dec 08, 2010 Sally rated it it was amazing
Informative and witty, this book of essays is a must for every birder. I've been birding for a few years but found some really good tips. Some of the essays are just funny - and each holds some truth for the birders who read it. Highly recommended!
Bookwyrmgyrl
Oct 23, 2012 Bookwyrmgyrl added it
Shelves: nature, birds
Very enjoyable book - funny and insightful - by some of the biggest names in the birding world. These are great essays, easy and and enjoyable. Worth reading and re-reading.
Rebecca
Mar 27, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
An excellent little book with some great essays and tips from top birders. Some very useful bits of helpful information and amusing illustrations.
Lauri
Aug 11, 2011 Lauri added it
A light, fun read, full of short essays with helpful birding tips.
Mandy
Jul 14, 2014 Mandy rated it liked it
Fun! Perfect bedside book...
MC
Jul 03, 2009 MC rated it really liked it
Great book to read while traveling with family. It is a collection of very short stories--many funny.
Suzanne
Feb 06, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was ok
Given to me as a gift. It was okay- some of the contributions were better than others. Overall, I didn't come away with any new insights into birding.
Linda Benedict
Oct 04, 2011 Linda Benedict rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, nonfiction, birds
I loved it. Will probably read it again.
Amber
Jul 05, 2015 Amber rated it it was ok
Not quite what I expected. I'd recommend for the person who has never birded before maybe.
Bruno de Maremma
Dec 30, 2007 Bruno de Maremma rated it liked it
Shelves: nature, birding
A fun read for anyone who is already into bird watching or birding. Some good general tips to consider.
Page Morgan
Feb 25, 2010 Page Morgan rated it really liked it
Shelves: bird-and-nature
A lot of humor here while filled with excellent tips on how to be a better, more thoughtful birder.
Lorraine
May 11, 2015 Lorraine rated it liked it
Shelves: nature, essays
3.5 stars. A quick, light read with wonderful tips about birding. I loved the sketches that were scattered throughout the read, made for a much more uplifting read... Fun!
Ami
Jun 06, 2012 Ami rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
A decent book of little essays. Got to "steep" a little in birding culture. Nothing thrilling, but learned a little.
Carol
Jan 06, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: birds-stories
Good collection. Would recommend to a birder.
LINDA
Jun 10, 2009 LINDA rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
Short, easy to read compilation of stories from various 'Birders' or 'Bire watchers'! Lots of interesting tidbits of information, and good suggestions for those starting out in the hobby!

Beth
Mar 30, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
Very entertaining, light read for anyone who enjoys birds. Good tips for birding.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Singing Life of Birds: The Art and Science of Listening to Birdsong (with CD)
  • Sibley's Birding Basics: How to Identify Birds, Using the Clues in Feathers, Habitats, Behaviors, and Sounds
  • Kingbird Highway: The Biggest Year in the Life of an Extreme Birder
  • Bright Wings: An Illustrated Anthology of Poems About Birds
  • The Big Year: A Tale of Man, Nature, and Fowl Obsession
  • Of a Feather: A Brief History of American Birding
  • The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds
  • A Field Guide to Western Birds: A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico
  • Life List: A Woman's Quest for the World's Most Amazing Birds
  • Arnie the Darling Starling (Arnie, #1)
  • How to Be a (Bad) Birdwatcher