Start by marking “Lord Vishnu's Love Handles” as Want to Read:
Lord Vishnu's Love Handles

Lord Vishnu's Love Handles

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  579 ratings  ·  85 reviews
"Lord Vishnu's Love Handles is the story of a man who is teetering on the edge of financial ruin and insanity until a couple of secret agents teach him what it really means to lose his mind." "Travis Anderson has a psychic gift. Or so he thinks. So far he's milked his premonitions only to acquire an upper-middle-class lifestyle - pretty wife, big house, and a shiny Range R ...more
Published June 21st 2005 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Lord Vishnu's Love Handles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord Vishnu's Love Handles

Stacey
Lord Vishnu's Love Handles is unexpectedly fleshy and overly brash. Its protagonist spends so much time shooting his mouth off that I think the author may have forgotten that, as readers, we're probably more apt to enjoy his work if we don't hate its main character. There's no redemption here. There's barely a coherent plot. What there is, in spades, is a lot of unnecessary bawdiness.

The premise is simple, and then convoluted. Yuppie man leads charmed existence, with a side of psychic abilities
Abbey
I selected the rating, "really liked it," simply because I could not put the book down. But I don't know that I LIKE, LIKED it (to sound a like a teenage girl). The language is not for the faint of heart. And the whole tail is curious - much in the vein of a Tim Robbins book. There probably was some big metaphorical meaning hidden in among on the craziness, but since I was looking for escapism - not theology - I chose to simply read it for the very peculiar, action-adventure that it was....
Lena
This story of a yuppie with a psychic gift who suddenly finds himself mixed up with covert operatives and Hindu holy men was a mixed bag for me. I loved the premise and loved the title, and enjoyed much of the writing. But I was disappointed in the direction the author took the story and it fell apart for me at the end.
RYCJ
I started reading Lord Vishnu's Love Handles by Will Clarke a while back. I picked up the book after catching an excerpt of it that sounded fascinating and instantly find it right up my reading alley. The writing was plain, and when I say plain, I mean each sentence was civil enough that all levels of comprehension should be able to read from one sentence to the next without feeling lost.

Amid quite a bit of sarcasm the man has a failing business, a wife he suspects of cheating, and a drinking pr
Mick
Let's set things straight: Will Clarke's LORD VISHNU'S LOVE HANDLES is a darn funny book--some of it literally laugh-out-loud funny. Clarke's here-it-is, straight-forward style is fun to read, and the author can set up a scene, antagonize his protagonist, then knock it out of the park with ingenuous comedic wit and ease. Clarke's goofy, ultra-fantastic story--about a yuppie psychic who goes to work for the government in exchange for forgiveness of his IRS debt, yet subsequently loses his family ...more
C.E.
Sep 02, 2008 C.E. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those seeking an offbeat beach read
Ah. . . this book was exactly what I was hoping it would be . . . an entertaining if somewhat slight beach read. The plot is bizarre. A Dallas yuppie scum does well enough on a psychic website that he's hired by government contractors and ends up in an all consuming battle of good vs. evil, the stakes being his family's welfare and the future of human kind (or at least Disney World). Clarke's voice isn't all that unique--I kept picking up hints of Bret Easton Ellis here, Tim Sandlin there and th ...more
Leslie
This book was way out of the box for me, and I really enjoyed it. I don't read spy novels, but it was sort of a spoof of them, new age stuff, and Disney world, among other things. I was laughing and also not wanting to put it down. As "out there" as the plot was, it also seemed plausible once you entered the head and life of Travis Anderson, the main character, and I think the first person narration helped in that--a lot! The ending was perfect, and the characters were just--so believable, even ...more
Holli
This book is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas meets Shadow Run (sorry only humans) meets Unbreakable, but it has a soul all its own. It is set in Dallas....poor boring Dallas if only it's good, republican citizens knew what was going on under it's squeaky clean exterior. It is a fast and fun read. The main character has to wade through alcoholism and borderline-schizo apparitions of blue guys as he gets sober and takes on the IRS and secret government organizations and the freaks they employ. All ...more
Broodingferret
Not bad for a first novel, I must say. Clarke's characters, while not exactly paragons of literary complexity, are certainly deeper and more detailed than one might expect. He also has a knack for jarring imagery, though a bit of it was a little too-obviously included for shock value. The plot, while not predictable, wasn't particularly inspired, but was still quite fun. I did really like the ending; everything gets wrapped up in a satisfyingly consistent way by having the main character show se ...more
Bayneeta
Listened to this for an RA SIG. Funny in parts, though the language and sex might offend some. I'm usually pretty good at suspending my disbelief, but this book pushed the limits and, while I was mildly interested in where this might end up, by the time we got there I was bored. Man with mild psychic abilities is taken in to a government program in return for the forgiveness of a $5 million IRS debt. Who can be trusted? Is his wife sleeping with his partner? Is there an alligator in the swimmng ...more
Win
Seemed to shift pretty radically:

* Went from funny romp into somewhat unrealistic (I know, I know) territory, plot-wise, esp. with the masterplan

* Could've used more denouement (wife's reaction kind of unexplained)

* On the one hand, funny satire of Dallas rich people; but then the spy stuff was pretty flat (sci-fi aspects very vanilla)

* Many things seemed very perfunctory. Either needed to go more epic/sinister/top-secret, or be written more tightly with more humour.

SageRat and the chippy bureau
Mary
I loved this book— it’s an adventure in the mind of a crazy person. In a good way. Travis Anderson, an alcoholic on the edge of financial ruin, has a psychic gift. His family doesn’t know about it, but the government does and Travis is recruited, partially against his own will, to work as a “remote influencer.”

It’s all about plot. It’s surprising, fun, dangerous, nutty. The sci-fi mind-control aspect is a great device. I would put this in the same category as James Hynes. I’ll look for more from
Ashley
This is a silly, mindless, sometimes annoying comedic romp through the head of a psychic yuppie desperate to please his wife and keep his Stepford family intact - often to the point of "why bother, dude?" It was a mindless read, slightly laughable, to the tune of Tom Robbins (but not nearly as wordsmithy), Christopher Moore, or Carl Hiaasen. Two-and-a-half stars; I'm halfway between it was ok and liked it, but it was a quick read.
Kristine
Wacky read -- plays with concept of reality. Main character plays PSYCHIC cow type game online -- has extremely high scores -- government was monitoring site to find people with psychic ability for secret projects. Found the main character...The high-octane swearing made it very tough for me to enjoy reading this possibly humorous novel. Younger generation book club readers who didn't mind swearing liked it.
Peter
A truly inspired, some might say insane, romp through betrayal, paranoia, religious bunk and cops, crooks and IRS agents. Trying to describe the plot of this story is to get the story wrong...you read this story so as to immerse yourself in a bit of weird paranoia that might be slice of life observation if life is being observed while imbibing too many drinks or way to many drugs...
Paula Nicholson
This book was freakin' histerical. It's essentially about a dude who has some magical mind powers. Obviously he thinks he's crazy when he is kidnapped and keeps seeing the "blue genie" but its actually a covert government operation. He's got a douche bag for a business partner and there are definitely lots of twists and turns in this book. I do highly recommend it!
arcelie
humorous, not overly self-conscious nor does it try too hard to be profound. just a good, quick read.

i found this book on a bench in the 28th st downtown 6 train stop; read a few pages while waiting for the train and decided i liked it enough to take it with me. it's a book crossing book - check out www.bookcrossing.com to find out more. the bcid is 943-4968007.
Melora
This book was equal parts bizarre and funny. That expression/bumper-sticker "Just cuz I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me," could be the epitaph for the main character of this novel. I don't want to say too much about the book because I'd hate to ruin the surprises. Let's just say it's a pretty original concept, and it works.
debbie
Jul 04, 2007 debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes christopher moore
this is a funny book about a guy who has psychic abilities...he gets tangled up with a secret group of psychic spies and learns he can communicate with the dead. God appears to him as a short fat blue skinned man. in the end he must save the world, and his family, and come to terms with his psychic abilities. well worth the reading time.
Ben Weagraff
I found this book rivetting! Admittedly, I was in the minority in my book club with that assessment, however. I find Clarke's ability to weave in and out of a narrative so seamlessly very refreshing. It was great to read a story that you could fundamentally not believe a word that was being written--it was great! Bravo Will Clarke! Bravo!
Lyall
Really, really funny in a few parts. Was definitely not a style of writing I am used to. It certainly got a bit strange for me near the end.
Nymeria
This book is a ride into the surreal, clever & comical world of a regular guy. It is very funny & an imaginative adventure. It's reads quickly & is worth every second. If you don't like this book you probably don't have much of a sense of humor or a sense of how ironic current American pop culture is.
Lacie
This was actually a pretty good story once I got passed the strangeness of the main character. A quick read with lots of action that actaully makes you laugh. By the end I found myself rooting for the main character even though he is a borderline psychotic alcoholic with a foul mouth.
keatssycamore
May 11, 2007 keatssycamore rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jealous husbands and blue guys
The CIA needs an unassuming suburbanite with a slutty wife and young child to become a remote viewer and save the universe.

I liked this book. The ending had major problems. But the guy who read it was spot-on with his take on the leading man of this first person narrative.
Shannan
This book was OK. The premise was interesting and there were a lot of funny, entertaining moments. But the characters were really unsympathetic, the storyline a bit ridiculous and the constant foul language seemed to indicate a lack of intelligence and vocabulary.
Kevin
Fast read that really held my attention throughout. Somewhat mindless entertainment, but entertainment for sure. Clarke is hilarious and occasionally leaves you asking what could possibly happen next. I cannot wait to pick up another of his novels.
Sylvia
Nothing really happens in the 1st or 2nd chapter but later on I find out it is quite difficult to drop the book before I complete reading it. It's very funny and somehow I can think of it as a motion picture. It's corny, but in a lovable way.
Barbara
This was an entertaining read, set in Dallas. It was quite funny, kind of an Austin Powers type story. The narrator had me laughing. I'd recommend for anyone who enjoys the Austin Powers spy spoof type of novel or anyone from Dallas.
Anyra
Strange and weird but fast moving and crazy fun. Imagine James Frey never went to rehab and instead became a family man in Texas and developed enhaced mind-reading power as well as (seemingly) outrageous paranoid delusions.
Dave
Jan 10, 2013 Dave rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dave by: Chris I.
This book is crazy, but crazy in a good way. Clarke reminds me of Moore a bit. The psychic action moves fast. There are some great lines and just enough depth to make it all worthwhile. The book definitely pushes 3.5 stars.
  • Night of the Avenging Blowfish: A Novel of Covert Operations, Love, and Luncheon Meat
  • The Cry of the Sloth
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
  • Descent of Man: Stories
  • First Contact-Or, It's Later Than You Think (Parrot Sketch Excluded)
  • The Art of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Trouble: Stories
  • The Church of Facebook: How the Hyperconnected Are Redefining Community
  • The Other Shulman: A Novel
  • Global Business Today
  • Can I Have and Do it All, Please?
  • Topper Takes a Trip
  • Dungeon: Zenith - Vol. 2: The Barbarian Princess
  • The Girls with Games of Blood
  • Love and Respect for a Lifetime: Women Absolutely Need Love. Men Absolutely Need Respect. Its as Simple and as Complicated as That...
  • All This Heavenly Glory
  • Fidali's Way: A Novel
  • The Exterminators
The Worthy: A Ghost's Story Lord Vishnu's Love Handles: A Spy Novel (Sort Of) The Worthy How To Kill A Boy That Nobody Likes: An Essay Don't Abuse the Muse: The Middlefinger Press Mixed Tape of Fiction & Reality