Start by marking “Through His Eyes” as Want to Read:
Through His Eyes

Through His Eyes

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  68 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Eve, Sarah, Deborah, Mary, the woman at the well- women have played pivotal roles in redemptive history. Their case studies reveal God-s perspective on women, then and now. Few biblical teachings have been as misunderstood and muddled by those inside and outside the church as its instruction concerning women. Through His Eyes answers the question -What does God think about ...more
Published April 2nd 2009 by Crossway (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Through His Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through His Eyes

Anne Hamilton
Oct 10, 2015 Anne Hamilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: names, christian
Both wide-ranging and in-depth, this is a thorough and also compassionate look at women throughout Scripture. Its primary purpose seems to be to encourage and affirm women; it's certainly not to delve into debates over women in ministry.

It brings us three different ways of looking at Eve, two different probes of Mary, as well as explorations of women like Sarah, Tamar, Rahab and so on.

Given such a broad spread of lives, it's too hard to choose one. So I will just pick out those nuggets of infor
Kristin
Sep 30, 2009 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved Jerram's ability to see what is good, and true, and beautiful, without glossing over the hard parts of life, and this book is a great example of that attitude. He writes very encouraging, but realistic, studies of women of the Bible.
Rose
Phil bought this for me after a discussion of why women are expected to emulate male and female Biblical figures but men are only ever encouraged to emulate men. Barrs would agree that that tradition is faulty. As someone from a faith tradition that has a complex relationship with women and maybe made more complex by the denial that it is complex . . . this book was an encouraging, thought-provoking read. Barrs very carefully examines specific females within the Bible as well as their cultural, ...more
Terri
Jan 26, 2016 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jerram Barrs is too wordy, a good editor would have cut this book by half. And it's too facile covering the most basic and obvious with too many words.

That said, his perspective is refreshing, his view towards women as equal before God with men is wonderful. Barrs is spot on with the interpretaion of Genesis 3:16, that, "the impact of the curse on Adam is to 'rule over' his wife, to turn his headship into domination. This is the temptation of men in general, to treat a wife- whom he should regar
Diane
Jun 21, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book/Bible study on the role of women in God's salvation plan. Includes studies on the main women of both the Old and New Testaments. The book has insights for all Christians on their relationship to God and each other, not just for women. But, the author brings new life to a perennial topic and provides hope for better relations between men and women in the church.
Andrew Stout
Aug 11, 2010 Andrew Stout rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent study of some of the Bible's prominent female characters. Barrs treats these various biblical stories with a kind of care that causes the reader to consider them as real events involving real people, bringing out the humanity in these stories which is all to easy to gloss over.
Bo White
Oct 07, 2009 Bo White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
finally, a book that isn't mired in controversy that elevates women and praises their strengths
Robert Murphy
Oct 23, 2012 Robert Murphy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This is a hard review for me to write. I know Jerram Barrs personally, so disagreeing with him is not pleasant for me. I think I might appreciate Jerram's book more if I hadn't read Dr. Doriani's book first - Women and Ministry: What the Bible Teaches - and didn't have the burning topic of Women in Ministry before me, being in seminary as I am. Dan Doriani deals with those subjects very well and Jerram only peripherally.

This book is a walk through of the main Biblical passages on the main Biblic
Christine
This is a professor out at Covenant, I believe, though he has ties back to L'Abri which is where I first heard of him. This book, as the subtitle explains, is about God's perspective of women in the Bible. He goes through all the major women from Eve to Sarah, Naomi/Ruth to Mary, the Proverbs woman to the Bride of Christ. Great concept, showing how even though Jewish culture despised women or thought of them as lesser, from the beginning, God has always held a high view of women, equal to that o ...more
Carolyn
I really appreciate the heart with which this book was written - and the intellect of its author. I read a few chapters and scanned others. I don't always agree him, but I found his viewpoint helpful.
Jamie Carlson
Jan 18, 2014 Jamie Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book – especially the last few chapters. I don't think complementation theologians often communicate the value of women very well. They're often so busy defending women from certain types of feminism that they don't focus on what God actually thinks of women, and the ways that we can all learn from the women in the Bible even beyond the "biblical womanhood" bit. It was great!
Pam
May 09, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent study on how God raised up women in the Old and New Testament to meet the needs of His people and to deliver them in times of trouble. I was encouraged to delight in God’s redeeming work in the lives of Eve, Sarah, Rehab, Hannah and others while challenged to reflect on what it means to be made in the image of God.
Kristen
Jun 05, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A warm, encouraging overview of God's view of women, going through the stories of women in the Bible and how they are used in the story of redemption. A must read for any evangelical who struggles with the roles of men and women, but a very good read for all Christians.
Kristin
Feb 12, 2010 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book that a friend told me about. It had me looking at the women of the Bible in a different way. Not quite finished it yet and won't be able to get through it all because it's an inter-library loan. I don't want to rush through it, though. Well written.
Bookish
Some good stuff, but overall, it was too long of a read. There were some great thoughts, but some that were a bit of a stretch, and frankly the questions were often stupid. I liked it ok, but wouldn't read it again.
Ashley
May 30, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not feminist at all. It gives you the facts, such as the culture at the time and we should apply it to today. It also discus how different branches of Christians translate the Bible.
Andrea
Feb 17, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a warm, encouraging, theologically sound look at the stories of women throughout the Bible. I highly recommend this for men and women to read...
Audrey
May 30, 2013 Audrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it...saw a side of women I didn't know about before reading this. Thanks, Jerram!
Mary
Jun 15, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very good. Gave me alot to think about.
Denise Walker
Denise Walker is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2016
Hilary
Hilary is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2016
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Kimberly Destree
Kimberly Destree is currently reading it
Jan 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Gary Shogren
Gary Shogren marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Chris
Chris is currently reading it
Jan 02, 2016
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Ben Mordecai
Ben Mordecai marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jerram Barrs is Professor of Christianity and Contemporary Culture at Covenant Theological Seminary, as well as a founder and Resident Scholar of the Francis Schaeffer Institute there. He was a part of Schaeffer's L'Abri Fellowship in Switzerland shortly after becoming a Christian and he and his wife were on staff at English L’Abri for many years. "During our 18 years at L’Abri and in my role as a ...more
More about Jerram Barrs...